Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think sharing private messages harms the confidence and trust there should be between regular users and staff, and I think it ultimately can lead to a toxic culture where people with earnest questions or requests feel too intimidated to message staff about their grievances, lest they be thrown to the ravenous mob in the peanut gallery.

christmas boots posted:

Here's the post he got banned for and it's all in this thread IIRC but you might have to go back a few pages to get to the start of it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3555678&pagenumber=733&perpage=40#post468187067

Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Heath posted:

A private message is implied by the words "private message" to be confidential

Nothing is stopping anyone from sharing it, but it's at least in poor taste if nothing else

Tbh I think it depends on the PM. Like as a general rule I agree, but if you PM some really hateful poo poo to someone it should be open season

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He absolutely should have shared it and the admins shouldn’t have been so whiny about it imo. Especially considering making fun of reports is literally a sticky in several forums.

Unless reports aren’t as sacred as pms for whatever insane reason you think

Really no he shouldn’t have.

Sharing a PM where someone tells you to gently caress off and then thread banning them is pretty bad form. There was literally one reason for it besides making it all about the IK.

I’m gonna have to go back and look but I don’t even think that person was probated in that thread before that.

There was no reason to make a whole post about (well two actually with two different PMs).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heath posted:

A private message is implied by the words "private message" to be confidential

Nothing is stopping anyone from sharing it, but it's at least in poor taste if nothing else

I mean it’s also not a license to do whatever you want but no one seems to care about that

I mean it’s not a big deal in a few days this rule will change once making fun is funny as SA doesn’t really have rules in any real way. Just declarations enforced arbitrarily

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Tbh I think it depends on the PM. Like as a general rule I agree, but if you PM some really hateful poo poo to someone it should be open season

Oh yes absolutely but this PM was like “you made a bad call and gently caress off”.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MarcusSA posted:

Really no he shouldn’t have.

Sharing a PM where someone tells you to gently caress off and then thread banning them is pretty bad form. There was literally one reason for it besides making it all about the IK.

I’m gonna have to go back and look but I don’t even think that person was probated in that thread before that.

There was no reason to make a whole post about (well two actually with two different PMs).

It’s cool and good actually and several posters in that thread says that poster harrasses constantly. I don’t know if that’s true but it’s ignored in the thread despite admins weighing in

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stop reporting stupid poo poo you idiots is stickied in this very forum.

Unless pretending it was instructional makes it okay but that can’t be true as that would be dumb

The reporter isn't named in those screencaps

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also, reports aren't pm's. The comparison makes no sense.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You have no expectation of privacy in private messages. They're just called that because they're messages that aren't publicly posted. If you don't want something getting out there, don't post it, anywhere. Not on the forums, not in a PM, don't post it.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I got an open question to the mods/admins: Is there a hidden staff forum where you can vent about lovely users / private messages you're getting? It's okay if no one answers but I wonder if Kith's need to share those private messages is a result of there not being an internal system where grievances can be aired and talked through among the staff.

As an aside I'd like to commend Kith for issuing their mea culpa.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Also, reports aren't pm's. The comparison makes no sense.

You right no one seriously cares about pms until now

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

You right no one seriously cares about pms until now

What are you talking about?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s cool and good actually and several posters in that thread says that poster harrasses constantly. I don’t know if that’s true but it’s ignored in the thread despite admins weighing in

If that is the case (I kinda doubt it because everyone was just cheerleading the IK) their rap sheet sure doesn’t reflect it.

Also if you think this PM is harassment I’m not sure what to say here.

Kith posted:

Hello, InventorOfTrees. When I gave you a sixer for being a credulous dumbass in the thread, I did so because emotions are high and this is a very delicate subject and credulous dumbasses are not very useful for maintaining a reasonable posting atmosphere in such a situation. However, since you have decided to respond in this way, you are no longer welcome in this thread and will be aggressively probe-ramped if you post here again.

Thank you.

Maybe it was the gently caress you at the end. It was incredibly thin skinned of the IK and the post just makes it about themselves.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I got an open question to the mods/admins: Is there a hidden staff forum where you can vent about lovely users / private messages you're getting? It's okay if no one answers but I wonder if Kith's need to share those private messages is a result of there not being an internal system where grievances can be aired and talked through among the staff.

As an aside I'd like to commend Kith for issuing their mea culpa.

If we needed someone to weigh in on PMs we’re getting there’s a serious discussion thread where it’ll be talked about, but the IKs don’t have access to the mod forum

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MarcusSA posted:

If that is the case (I kinda doubt it because everyone was just cheerleading the IK) their rap sheet sure doesn’t reflect it.

Also if you think this PM is harassment I’m not sure what to say here.

Maybe it was the gently caress you at the end. It was incredibly thin skinned of the IK and the post just makes it about themselves.

Yeah this is pretty out of line and is unambiguously intended to use modship to put a target on this poster

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In context this is someone being upset because they got probated for defending Ghostcrawler who is at minimum enabling sexual predators and is more likely a predator themself.

PMs shouldn't be shared, but people are willing to overlook that because InventorofTrees was doing what aboutism for each individual member of the sexual harassment nest that is Blizzard.

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jul 29, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

In context this is someone being upset because they got probated for defending someone who is at minimum enabling sexual predators and is more likely a predator themselves.

TBF this is when it was all rolling out and I don’t think his question was that far out of line for when it was posted.

Obviously a lot more stuff came out after that which sufficiently answered the question for them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
E: Whoops! Wrong thread.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jul 29, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Click through:

Kith posted:

tl;dr version: I was gonna write the Mod/Admin Guidelines for SA but then Jeffrey decided to do it himself and I didn't find out until a few days ago because he ghosted me. Which pisses me off, because he gave no indication whatsoever that he was anything less than totally invested in the idea.

Full Version: After one of the Meltdown May threads, I offered my services as a community manager and PR critter to help form guidelines on how mods/admins should act, what constitutes a permaban, how to not be a loving cop, so on and so forth. Said guidelines would involve feedback and amendment from the community and be a whole top-to-bottom refresh that SA has so desperately needed for years. The mods and admins I spoke to about it were extremely enthusiastic, and Jeffrey in particular was very interested.

Jeff then decided to ghost me and do it himself.

Now, I'm not upset that the guidelines project is being stewarded by someone else - as long as SA's getting its poo poo together, I don't care who does it or how it happens. I'm upset that nobody had the loving decency to tell me about it. Instead of taking two minutes to say "hey we're doing this without you", I got left hanging for a month. Hell, I'm still hanging - I've already PM'd Jeff about this and gotten nowhere, then PM'd a mod - who them PM'd Jeff - and also gotten nowhere. The only reason I know that it's happening is because several mods (and Jeff himself) keep trotting it out ever since the Larry Parrish fiasco to try and convince angry goons that they're "doing something".

All I want is an apology for misleading me and wasting my loving time. Apparently I have to dump this poo poo in public to get the slightest chance of that happening.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lmao get this discreet and stable poster mod buttons stat

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I think that guy has some problems lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If they're getting that stressed out over IKing a thread they should probably step down.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

To show that I am serious about this pledge, I request that I be perma'd immediately if I ever break it.

Mods??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

xtal posted:

Click through:

Oh lmao I didn't even recognize the name. That's one of at least two all-timer recent QCS threads misreading/misremembering simple communications, it's amazing.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jul 29, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

welcome posted:

If they're getting that stressed out over IKing a thread they should probably step down.

He also queued up a 3 day probation for himself as a way to fall on his sword and people though that the admins had done that and wanted blood lol.

Very over the top reaction.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh gently caress me, this isn't the blizzwatch thread. Sorry, I'm going to remove that now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

iono, I'd be mad if my boss did that to me, too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh gently caress me, this isn't the blizzwatch thread. Sorry, I'm going to remove that now.

lol NGL I was really confused at your post in the drama thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Imo everyone needs to kith and make up

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

iono, I'd be mad if my boss did that to me, too

I like to think that Jeffrey could sense the crazy and decided to avoid speaking with them further.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Honestly, Jeffrey is maybe one of the nicest well put together dudes I have ever spoken too. Like just a genuinely reasonable person who is at least able to feign an interest in your life. People say they never get him to respond, but I've always been able to message him on discord or the forums and just chat about my day or whatever. I am going to side with Jeff 99% of the time, just because he seems like a legitimately well meaning person.

I do think he needs an executive assistant and a community manager though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jeff is great, and also, was at no point that person's boss.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Jeffrey is a Bigpeeler rereg

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CPColin posted:

TB isn't Slashie
She is slashie. I felt certain of this as a regular user but now that I'm an admin I have logs that confirm it. Sure, she *could* have transferred the account to someone else with an identically over-the-top abrasiveness to them but I'm gonna draw the simplest conclusion here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I swear to god he gets alerts when you speak his name.

I just said it out loud and I can feel him watching.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

She is slashie. I felt certain of this as a regular user but now that I'm an admin I have logs that confirm it. Sure, she *could* have transferred the account to someone else with an identically over-the-top abrasiveness to them but I'm gonna draw the simplest conclusion here.

have u ever considered that the logs were planted its a false flag people wake up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I swear to god he gets alerts when you speak his name.

I just said it out loud and I can feel him watching.

Say it three times into a mirror and report back :munch:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Check out this QCS thread where the OP is calling for mod heads to roll because years ago some posters who haven't been mods in a long time did something he disapproved of, citing discord screenshots from 2018 as their smoking gun. It also features a parallel saga where a poster calls for their 100,000 hour probe to be lifted, and when others note that their account doesn't seem to be probated they respond with "yes, but my other account is", earning them an instant ban :v:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Kazinsal posted:

Say it three times into a mirror and report back :munch:

Five times ala Candyman. I had a boss that looked exactly like Tony Todd and I would do that when people asked to see him. It never worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

xtal posted:

Click through:

lol