Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

E: lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did you post that in the wrong thread

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Alaois posted:

did you post that in the wrong thread

Apparently, thought I had the poop culture thread open when I posted that but I guess not

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mr Phillby posted:

There was deffo a misogynist backlash agsinst Ghostbusters 2016 but its also fair to say that Sony leant into it in order to create a narrative that watching their mediocre comedy movie was some act of Woke rebellion. .
So the movie that started the woke rebellion was some how a strategy already? You didn't answer my question, how did Sony lean in? Hire women? Push back at blatant racism directed at a cast member?

I'm just pushing back on this trash narrative RLM floated.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 29, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How could they hire women after the movie was already produced.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 29, 2021

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

The 7th Guest posted:

does channel 5 count as an online creator, because Andrew Callaghan's video on that patriot conference was loving insane. it's also highly upsetting (considering the subject), so I dunno about linking it. but some of the conspiracies man

there's a conspiracy about Prince and the lead singer of Linkin Park. nothing is off the table in 2021

I'm going to embed it, bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKOLwt8pwo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean I don’t think it’s especially unlikely that the producers looked at the dailies/test screenings, realized the movie was gonna be kind of poo poo, and decided to amp up the existing culture war brush fires via twitter sockpuppetry to try and maybe get some more money back by riling up the consumption-as-activism crowd, but it’s kind of ridiculous to think that was the plan from the start

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

So the movie that started the woke rebellion was some how a strategy already? You didn't answer my question, how did Sony lean in? Hire women? Push back at blatant racism directed at a cast member?

I'm just pushing back on this trash narrative RLM floated.

The whole empty politics thing where going to see a movie is a victory for feminism and a strike back against the online nerds of the right was already a construction of outlets like buzzfeed that hype pop culture bullshit for a living. I don’t think the studio was or is particularly aware of that niche phenomenon.

Maybe there were trailers made by people who were trying to harness that culture-war stuff, but it can’t be top-down or a choice by anyone running the studio.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

channel 5 whips rear end imo

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean I don’t think it’s especially unlikely that the producers looked at the dailies/test screenings, realized the movie was gonna be kind of poo poo, and decided to amp up the existing culture war brush fires
It's interesting that this is being said when the existing fires were the cast members were women and one of them was black and was getting racism thrown at her. It's crazy y'all would rather believe that false flag garbage rather than maybe the misogynist just blew everything up to be about that because they're misogynist and now y'all here years later repeating it like gospel.

The cast makeup was literally the same, save gender, just a bunch of comedy gently caress-ups trying to make a movie and it became political around them not because of them.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 29, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean I don’t think it’s especially unlikely that the producers looked at the dailies/test screenings, realized the movie was gonna be kind of poo poo, and decided to amp up the existing culture war brush fires via twitter sockpuppetry to try and maybe get some more money back by riling up the consumption-as-activism crowd, but it’s kind of ridiculous to think that was the plan from the start

Nobody is saying that in this thread though? Its all part of the marketing strategy, and doesn't really have much to do with the production of a film.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I don't think the culture war and misogyny poo poo played into production or Sony's marketing, but there absolutely was a subset of twitter and pop news outlet dipshits pushing a narrative that the way to own the misogynists was to buy as many Ghost Busters 2016 funcopops as possible and fill your feed with them, which lol.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

fun hater posted:

channel 5 whips rear end imo

He's cool and went on Hasan Piker and Will Neff's podcast (other online creators + reviewers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTTQX3Do2yY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, you should've left it up and reminded everyone that those are the same chuckleheads that made that 12 hour long video about Jenny Nicholson's Joker video lmao

One of their more recent grand slams was a podcast series screamcrying about Loki for some reason where Part 1 alone was double the length of the entire first season of the show's runtime. You could watch Loki once and part 1 of New He-Man twice in that same time period.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's incredible how people lumped him in with the misogynist psychos when he said "I don't think I can give it a fair shake because I don't think anything could live up to the original".
Related but having now watched the newest Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer I am completely confused as to why I (or anybody) is supposed to be excited to see this movie. It... doesn't appear to be a comedy? Or at least they didn't put any jokes or humor in the trailer and 'hey let's literally do Stranger Things* again, only as a movie!' isn't exactly lighting my world on fire.

* Small town where nothing ever happens, strange girl who doesn't fit in, stressed out single mom, helpful science teacher guy, Finn Wolfhard

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Fil5000 posted:

I think people assumed because he released a video titled "No Review. I refuse" that he was taking some sort of chuddy stance and didn't look beyond the clickbaity title. And I can only assume he titled it that for engagement purposes (given he's been doing this poo poo longer than anyone), so I guess it mostly did the job.

Whenever this gets brought up, I always think about how Devin Faraci lambasted him as misogynist, and then like a month later, it turned out Farci had sexually assaulted a woman.

Mr Phillby posted:

The chuds are part of the whole marketing apperatus now. I don't think they made a bad He man show on purpose (they made a he man show that just happens naturally) but I bet if it was made even 5 years ago 'we'll kill off He Man in the first episode and have Teela be the main character' would have been stamped out by the studio instantly. Nowadays they can see the incredibly predictable shitstorm ready to drive engagement up up up into the stratosphere!

People are already prediciting that's what they're doing with the new Predator movie in production, based on what's been announced:
https://twitter.com/alexdnz/status/1420489659080130562

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Predator’s about on-par with Terminator in its good/bomb ratio. I don’t see why they’d start coming up with alibis now, 31 years after the last good one.

Did anyone ever blame the 4 terrible terminator sequels on feminism?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

Whenever this gets brought up, I always think about how Devin Faraci lambasted him as misogynist, and then like a month later, it turned out Farci had sexually assaulted a woman.

People are already prediciting that's what they're doing with the new Predator movie in production, based on what's been announced:

"Might be PG-13"

Just loving stop, if you're gonna make a movie about the Predator, Alien, Blade, Spawn, any spread of violent monster movie type IPs they've tried or thought of trying it with, stop trying to clip them down a rating to attempt to sell more tickets, while if anything making less people want to see a neutered entry in doing so.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Predator’s about on-par with Terminator in its good/bomb ratio. I don’t see why they’d start coming up with alibis now, 31 years after the last good one.

Did anyone ever blame the 4 terrible terminator sequels on feminism?

Genesys came out just early enough that it wasn't swept up in QAnon, But For Movies's bullshit impeller, but Dark Fate certainly was :buddy:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

The tweet is right but not for the reason it thinks it is, given the other dumb culture war stuff the account has posted. Studios do legitimately believe that turning R rated stuff into P-13 rated stuff will produce higher profits, because they're run by robot brains who respond to nothing beesides number go up. More audience means higher numbers. They genuinely believe that media cannot be good or bad or say anything, and that the only cause for audience response is the presence or absence of marketable features. It isn't that Dead Space was massively over budget it was that people don't like horror movies, it isn't that the genre was glutted with garbage cash grabs after lord of the rings, people just don't like fantasy anymore, it wasn't that X Y or Z comedy cash in revival was unfunny it's that it had a wom too close to the title card. The execs who don't think like this pretend to for the sake of avoiding blame for flops.

edit: this is also why people tend to get defensive of female and minority leds movies, because if it flops even just for being bad the robots that run our society will blame the woman or minority before anything else. As they still see minorities as just another marketable feature, not as people.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 30, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

An industry of Misters Bibs

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The part that I'm amused by is that we've already had a PG-13 Predator film with a female lead...

That film wasn't good, but I don't think it was because of some kind of Hollywood feminist false flag operation or whatever the gently caress the original Tweet was talking about?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NorgLyle posted:

Related but having now watched the newest Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer I am completely confused as to why I (or anybody) is supposed to be excited to see this movie. It... doesn't appear to be a comedy? Or at least they didn't put any jokes or humor in the trailer and 'hey let's literally do Stranger Things* again, only as a movie!' isn't exactly lighting my world on fire.

* Small town where nothing ever happens, strange girl who doesn't fit in, stressed out single mom, helpful science teacher guy, Finn Wolfhard

I bet it's going to be worse than 2016 but it'll be bad for different reasons. And yeah not having a single joke in your comedy series trailer is insane.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Numerically they're equal but Terminator 2 is way better than Predator 2.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 30, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Groovelord Neato posted:

I bet it's going to be worse than 2016 but it'll bad for different reasons.

I think the fact that they couldn't replicate the original Ghostbusters charm or success in 1989 with the same cast and director is a pretty good sign that the well ran dry on this franchise long ago.

The intense desire for more Ghostbusters (outside of studio execs wanting to repeat the same merchandising success as the original) strikes me as especially odd because, while the original movie was very entertaining, I never really got the sense that the world they were building had a bunch more stories in it just waiting to be told.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the best way they continued ghostbusters was with the cartoons, like with MIB the format was ideal for expanding on an established setting.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

KingKalamari posted:

The part that I'm amused by is that we've already had a PG-13 Predator film with a female lead...

That film wasn't good, but I don't think it was because of some kind of Hollywood feminist false flag operation or whatever the gently caress the original Tweet was talking about?

chuds aren't generally all that media-literate or versed in media history, nor are they really interested in anything but pushing their lovely narratives

also i've always had a soft spot for the first AvP movie. it's dumb, sure, but i always enjoyed it - 12-year-old me thought it was the coolest thing ever when it came out, and it aged remarkably well compared to all the other stuff 12-year-old me found cool

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

The chuds are part of the whole marketing apperatus now. I don't think they made a bad He man show on purpose (they made a he man show that just happens naturally) but I bet if it was made even 5 years ago 'we'll kill off He Man in the first episode and have Teela be the main character' would have been stamped out by the studio instantly. Nowadays they can see the incredibly predictable shitstorm ready to drive engagement up up up into the stratosphere!

Do you have any evidence that Kevin Smith and the studio are somehow baiting chuds to get away with making a bad show, or at least deflecting blame for making a bad show? I ask because this thread seems to be assuming it's terrible and drawing conclusions based on that, but all the reviews I've read and the thread in TV IV seem varying degrees of positive? This clearly isn't a situation where no one liked it.

I haven't seen the show myself to be fair, but it seems pretty bad faith to accuse the new He-Man show of that when (as far as I know) they probably didn't even realise it would be part of culture war nonsense. I mean, people are mad that it has lesbians, when it doesn't even have lesbians!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the ghostbusters thing is so weird because 2016 and now this new one both seem to be trying to, like, tell some sort of emotional story, I guess because it has women and hollywood won't let women just make a stupid comedy, but it's so weird to do to loving ghostbusters of all movies. Like, the new trailer was so truly bizarre and out of tone I genuinely thought it was a joke, it truly felt like a different movie they just shoved a ghost trap into

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Melusine posted:

Do you have any evidence that Kevin Smith and the studio are somehow baiting chuds to get away with making a bad show, or at least deflecting blame for making a bad show? I ask because this thread seems to be assuming it's terrible and drawing conclusions based on that, but all the reviews I've read and the thread in TV IV seem varying degrees of positive? This clearly isn't a situation where no one liked it.

I haven't seen the show myself to be fair, but it seems pretty bad faith to accuse the new He-Man show of that when (as far as I know) they probably didn't even realise it would be part of culture war nonsense. I mean, people are mad that it has lesbians, when it doesn't even have lesbians!

I don't think they intentionally make a bad product but I think the extremely cynical use of tokenized 'representation' for marketing purposes is 100% used as a failsafe 'okay if this doesn't do well we can maybe imply the ONLY reason you'd dislike it is because you were mad a lady was in the show'. I think the whole...woke-washing? Is that a term? Whatever you call the general umbrella the assorted 'washing's fall under thing is a very cynical move 9 times out of 10 that cynicism means it's more a tool than a genuine thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KingKalamari posted:

They don't care, they never have cared, and they never will care. They just want to be able to feel victimized and outraged anytime new media comes out that does not meet their incredibly narrow ideal of straight white male power fantasies.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Melusine posted:

In regards to the new Masters of the Universe show (He-Man isn't even in the title) what we've got is literally a half of the produced season so far and He-Man does die in the first episode (along with Skeletor) but his presence is there throughout the whole thing. Much of the show is his close family and friends reacting to learning that Adam was He-Man and lying to them the whole time and what the villains will do now that Skeletor is gone and most magic with him. Smith was certainly going for a "darkness before the dawn thing with it since He-Man and Skeletor are back in the last episode cliffhanger and will presumably take the spotlight in the second half.

The show is certainly not perfect but most of the narrative is chuds being mad that first She-ra dared to be for girls and now they don't have a "He-Man" series that is anti-woke like they thought it would be.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
... like what did they imagine that He-Man was gonna turn to camera and say "women get back in the kitchen, look up black crime statistics" and morph into a Pepe or some poo poo.

Honestly my main complaint with the show was that Hamil was just doing his increasingly worn down Joker voice for Skeletor when they could have gotten someone who can do a proper Skeletor impression.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

oooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo gently caress me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXljeaktnDA

Games Workshop just cancelled If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device through it's new fanart zero-tolerance policy.

gently caress.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 30, 2021

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Stupid kneejerk reaction.

Obviously sucks he feels unsafe but goddamn dude even if your stuff didn't fall under parody they're not gonna waste the money and PR hit to take down something like that.

Warhammer fanbase has driven itself into a hysteria shining flashlights under their chins and going oooooooooooo GW's coming for your cartoons oooooooooooooo. Since when has "don't tie your entire business into an IP you don't own" become bad advice, just change your Patreon to "x is creating animations" rather than "x is creating Warhammer animations" and you'd be safe.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait, were there people who thought Kevin Smith of all people would make something Anti-Woke?

Also, isn't there still going to be a He-man based off the Modern She-Ra?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I bet it's going to be worse than 2016 but it'll be bad for different reasons. And yeah not having a single joke in your comedy series trailer is insane.

I think it owns, every genre should do this so trailers stop spoiling the movie.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does the FCC have oversight over Youtube?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

SteelMentor posted:

Stupid kneejerk reaction.

Obviously sucks he feels unsafe but goddamn dude even if your stuff didn't fall under parody they're not gonna waste the money and PR hit to take down something like that.

Warhammer fanbase has driven itself into a hysteria shining flashlights under their chins and going oooooooooooo GW's coming for your cartoons oooooooooooooo. Since when has "don't tie your entire business into an IP you don't own" become bad advice, just change your Patreon to "x is creating animations" rather than "x is creating Warhammer animations" and you'd be safe.
Corps in my experience either automate all copyright stuff in a unnuanced or just get people who don’t actually care about whether something is being used for parody or even commentary. What have you seen that says otherwise?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Between chatting with an IP lawyer about this stuff and that GW has been going around offering fan creators jobs left and right I'm pretty confident they're not about to nuke someone's channel from orbit.

Apparently they dinged the patreons of the artists who turned down the offer but that's standard IP protection fare and again, fixed by just changing your header to generic "animation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

the ghostbusters thing is so weird because 2016 and now this new one both seem to be trying to, like, tell some sort of emotional story, I guess because it has women and hollywood won't let women just make a stupid comedy, but it's so weird to do to loving ghostbusters of all movies. Like, the new trailer was so truly bizarre and out of tone I genuinely thought it was a joke, it truly felt like a different movie they just shoved a ghost trap into

Some guy saw that Stranger Things is (was) hot for a while, realized they have the movie rights to the biggest paranormal action horror franchise of the 80s and immediately started figuring out how to reel one of the kids in to their cash-in movie.