Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out conservatism is just post-modernism. Your lived experiences don't matter, how I feel about them is what's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What really breaks my brain is that if the Parkland Shooting were a false flag attack to justify grabbing all our guns and implementing full communism, the simplest and most correct strategy would be to recruit only the shooter into the plot and have him do a real shooting. There's no need to build fake bodies and hire hundreds of kids as crisis actors including my own son and have to worry about all those kids talking.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

VitalSigns posted:

What really breaks my brain is that if the Parkland Shooting were a false flag attack to justify grabbing all our guns and implementing full communism, the simplest and most correct strategy would be to recruit only the shooter into the plot and have him do a real shooting. There's no need to build fake bodies and hire hundreds of kids as crisis actors including my own son and have to worry about all those kids talking.

Yes, there is a campaign of stochastic terrorism (though the goal is not removal of guns). And efforts to occlude and obscure that campaign, which accounts for the sockpuppets and tapdancers pushing the "crisis actors" conspiracy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

VitalSigns posted:

But this way they get to infer there is a vast conspiracy of people out to get them, and virtually anyone who advocates for any sort of gun control is in on it.

Right?

If only the shooter is in the conspiracy, all the people saying hey lets regulate guns are having a normal reaction.

Logically nobody could actually want gun control though, so if they are advocating for it then they must be in on it.

Also a real gun owner would never actually use a gun for what a gun is designed for, to shoot other human beings. So if a gun was actually used this way, that would be bad, and an argument for gun control.

Therefore the shooter can't even be a real shooter, the whole thing must be fake, because somehow in the q-anon conservative mindest, nobody ever uses a gun for what it's designed for, to shoot people. They're just used for freedom or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I guess that's it.

Even if the government found a disturbed 18-year-old with a violent history and paid/incited him to go buy a gun and shoot up the school, that would still mean it's a huge problem that violent teenagers can walk out of gun stores with AR-15s and a law narrowly tailored to address that would be a good idea and not communism, so the shooting itself must be impossible and therefore completely fake.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

The core of all this conspiracy stuff is to dehumanize your enemies. If they're just regular people who have been fooled, you have to listen to what they say and share the world with them and compromise with them. If they're part of the plot, they must be eradicated as surely as the leaders and you don't have to listen to anything they say or respect them at all, and you won't feel bad when you eventually shoot them to death with your rifle. Even your own son.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

But this way they get to infer there is a vast conspiracy of people out to get them, and virtually anyone who advocates for any sort of gun control is in on it.

Right?

If only the shooter is in the conspiracy, all the people saying hey lets regulate guns are having a normal reaction.

Logically nobody could actually want gun control though, so if they are advocating for it then they must be in on it.

Also a real gun owner would never actually use a gun for what a gun is designed for, to shoot other human beings. So if a gun was actually used this way, that would be bad, and an argument for gun control.

Therefore the shooter can't even be a real shooter, the whole thing must be fake, because somehow in the q-anon conservative mindest, nobody ever uses a gun for what it's designed for, to shoot people. They're just used for freedom or something.

They all know what a gun is designed for and they're all waiting for their chance to use it that way, but they know they can't talk about that openly until the day arrives. From the start, pro-gun people are preparing for the race war described in the Turner Diaries. You can get them to say it if you push hard enough for long enough and they have to sit and listen, like at Thanksgiving. They don't all know what the Turner Diaries is, but the theory is in place for all of them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...u5ze-story.html

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epnq84/im-a-parkland-shooting-survivor-qanon-convinced-my-dad-it-was-all-a-hoax

Some incidents that really highlights how the internet really has changed. There used to be a much stricter barrier between the internet and real life. Two worlds, if you will. People could be obnoxious assholes to one another online, but it was much harder to be an rear end in a top hat in real life. Look at all the hyper-awkward goonmeets, or Abe harassing Smashmouth to Eat the Eggs and then getting utterly bullied in real life, slinking into his chair as a man in a shark costume accosts him. And that world still exists, look at the hilariously awkward 4chan alt-right meetups.

But to the normies, there never has been a barrier between the internet and the real. It's all the same thing. They scream at each other with their real identities. And when radicalized, they will start abusing their children, or start throwing hands with breast cancer patients. As a millenial who spends way too much time on the internet, this kind of identity feels utterly alien to me.

Millennials and to a lesser extent Gen X failed to civilize our parents so they go online and act like idiots.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

pseudanonymous posted:

It's worse really, the government grows under republicans more than democrats. They're actively hypocritical, every time.
It's important to add that a small part can be chalked up to conservative ideology being confronted with FACTS and LOGIC.

For example, it's easy for some guy working for a conservative think-tank to be like "rnnnnnnggh down with crony capitalism, stop government subsidies to corporations and let the free market reign supreme." Then conservatives come to power and, assuming they weren't just demagogic beforehand, find that American capitalism kinda needs corn subsidies and other "Big Government" stuff to maintain the United States' status as "leader of the free world." Embracing a consistent laissez-faire agenda would entail numerous economic and political consequences at home and abroad that the Republican Party would rather not be blamed for.

Or, to use another example, it was easy for Reagan to decry the USSR as an "evil empire" in the first half of the 80s and thus win conservative applause for his unfathomable manliness or whatever, but when Gorbachev came to power Reagan was presented with a problem. He could either echo mainstream conservative claims (by William F. Buckley, etc.) that Gorby was actually a hardline Marxist-Leninist sedating the West with talk of reforms, or acknowledge Gorby was different from his predecessors. Reagan chose the latter option, and when visiting Moscow in 1987 said the USSR was no longer the "evil empire" it had been. Tons of conservatives got upset, equating Reagan to Neville Chamberlain. George Will wrote that the signing of the IMF Treaty "will be remembered as the day the Cold War was lost" by the United States.

So conservatives can't really be ideologically consistent unless they want to shoot themselves in the foot. Of course, that doesn't prevent them from pretending to be consistent, hence the hypocrisy you mention.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 29, 2021

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VitalSigns posted:

This is the fundamental issue with all conspiracy theories. They're always motivated reasoning, starting with the conclusion and working backwards to the evidence. I remember when 9/11 conspiracies were the rage, people were talking about thermite because some metal oxides were discovered on nearby buildings (nevermind that metal oxides are pretty much expected when you burn a bunch of aluminum and steel girders at extremely high temperatures). But why would anyone try to demolish a building with thermite? You would need a shitload of it, it doesn't actually explode, just burns hot, there's reason they use actual explosives when demolishing buildings. It makes no sense at all but conspiracy theories are all about taking whatever facts you have an inventing elaborate stories to fit them into the narrative you want. The whole thing really emphasizes how important Occam's razor is in keeping you grounded in reality.

It's also why conspiracy theories tend to merge into one mega-conspiracy over time. The best way to "save" a theory from inconvenient facts is to expand it's scope. More and more people are "in on" the conspiracy. Eventually the conspiracy includes the entire government, all the scientists, all the doctors, etc. And if you believe there's an apparatus of bad guys this vast, and someone tells you that those bad guys are doing this other nefarious thing, well that seems pretty plausible.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GOP Rep. Admits ‘Nobody Actually Believes’ Election Was Stolen From Trump

quote:

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) said Wednesday that the vast majority of his Republican colleagues don’t believe ex-President Donald Trump’s election lies, even though they may continue to peddle them in public. “Save one or two maybe out here, nobody ― and I think it’s very important to repeat ― nobody actually believes the election was stolen from Donald Trump, but a lot of them are happy to go out and say it was,” Kinzinger told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. Blitzer asked Kinzinger, one of two Republicans on the nine-member House select committee investigating the U.S. Capitol riot, if any of his fellow GOP lawmakers had “actually privately said to you, ‘Good work, I support you.’”

“Yes, oh yeah, yeah,” responded Kinzinger, who has become one of his party’s fiercest critics of its twice-impeached former president. “Is it just one or two? Is it a handful? Give me a ballpark number,” the CNN anchor pressed. “There’s a lot of people, you know. And they come up and say it,” replied Kinzinger. “It’s not any of the ones that go on TV and spout the big lie and then say it. It’s the ones that are staying more quiet that I think appreciate the stand. But it’s a lot.”

Blitzer asked Kinzinger if he’d thought of switching parties. “No. Look, I’m a Republican at heart, right?” he replied. “I was a Republican way before Donald Trump, since I was 6 years old. I believe in the values I’m fighting for and I believe that a party of such a great rich history deserves to have people, even if it’s only a couple of us at the moment, in there fighting to restore the soul of it. So I’m gonna fight hard for that.”

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Imagine actively courting the audience that tried to kill you seven months beforehand.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I think that's simply false. Many people do actually believe the election was stolen, including in congress. They might not believe it in the 'I sat down and thought this through and came to a conclusion' sense, but in the sense that they experience the feeling of knowing it when it's brought to mind.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They all know what a gun is designed for and they're all waiting for their chance to use it that way, but they know they can't talk about that openly until the day arrives. From the start, pro-gun people are preparing for the race war described in the Turner Diaries. You can get them to say it if you push hard enough for long enough and they have to sit and listen, like at Thanksgiving. They don't all know what the Turner Diaries is, but the theory is in place for all of them.

I'm preparing to shoot fascists when the day comes. You go far enough left and you get your guns back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm preparing to shoot fascists when the day comes. You go far enough left and you get your guns back.

Yeah I don't care for this.

As far as my personal opinion, I believe that people like you and right-wring militia nutjobs should equally be disbarred from owning weapons. There's nothing right or healthy or beneficial about this type of "I'm preparing to murder my enemies" line of thought in society.

The goal should be to disarm everybody, IMO.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How are u posted:

As far as my personal opinion, I believe that people like you and right-wring militia nutjobs should equally be disbarred from owning weapons. There's nothing right or healthy or beneficial about this type of "I'm preparing to murder my enemies" line of thought in society.

Agreed: abolish the police and the military

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

lol

Yeah comrade, look at the last few years. Then look ahead to the next 30. Then tell me that I'm the nutjob.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol

Yeah comrade, look at the last few years. Then look ahead to the next 30. Then tell me that I'm the nutjob.

Nah dude, we have to always meet them in the middle with extreme centrism. They stage an attempted coup, so what. They want to murder 25,000 brown children, we say, that's too many, let's only murder 12,500 brown children.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol

You are the nutjob.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How are u posted:

There’s a difference between community defense and what the right wants, which is to go out and murder people in their beds, imo. I don’t think guns are good at all, but in the US the state has kept minorities defenseless and acts in defense of fascists, and that’s what you can expect if fascist violence becomes more widespread than it already is.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

indiscriminately posted:

You are the nutjob.

:thunk:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

There’s a difference between community defense and what the right wants, which is to go out and murder people in their beds, imo. I don’t think guns are good at all, but in the US the state has kept minorities defenseless and acts in defense of fascists, and that’s what you can expect if fascist violence becomes more widespread than it already is.

Republican congress members are saying we should throw out Chinese Americans. My family. Should I just laugh at that very real threat, in your eyes? Fascists don't listen to reason. They don't care about me or mine.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

indiscriminately posted:

You are the nutjob.

Absent climate change I'd be inclined to agree, but this year is the hottest on record. And next year will be the hottest on record. And the year after that. And forever and ever until we're all dead.

This summer we had a revolt against police violence in this city and the youth rose up and burned down a police station. While the whole thing was popping off there were nothing but dark mutterings from the 'burbs about how "law-abiding citizens" ought to come in and "clean up the scum". A few years before at a different protest to a different police murder, some of them did come down and some protesters were shot.

Earlier this summer an angry drunk decided to ram one of our barricades and killed one of us.

So you can denigrate me as a nutjob if you want, but if you're looking around and not at least thinking about community self-defense then you're blind.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think the issue is that when you said you were 'preparing to shoot fascists,' it came off as more strategic and planned than, say, 'I find the idea abhorrent but if it comes down to it, as an absolute last resort....'

Self-Defense is fine until you're thinking about it and planning it so much that you start to see yourself as a warrior.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
before you buy hundred $ pew pew toys, can you at least try to invest in your self and try to get a good diet and a gym membership so youre healthier in normal life things.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ashpanash posted:

I think the issue is that when you said you were 'preparing to shoot fascists,' it came off as more strategic and planned than, say, 'I find the idea abhorrent but if it comes down to it, as an absolute last resort....'

Self-Defense is fine until you're thinking about it and planning it so much that you start to see yourself as a warrior.

Last time I got socked in the jaw is a decade behind me, I'm not under any illusions that I'm a level 30 elite cybercommando.

That said I'm in decent shape and I work with some like-minded people so I like to think that if it comes down to it we'll at least be able to deter similarly-armed chud shitheads from coming into vulnerable neighborhoods.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zeroisanumber posted:

Last time I got socked in the jaw is a decade behind me, I'm not under any illusions that I'm a level 30 elite cybercommando.

That said I'm in decent shape and I work with some like-minded people so I like to think that if it comes down to it we'll at least be able to deter similarly-armed chud shitheads from coming into vulnerable neighborhoods.
:goonsay:

Trying to pretend that you aren't just doing the exact kind of internet tough-guying that you see from subscribers to the BudK catalogue just because you have a leftist ideology shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spend this time establishing a mutual aid network with your neighbors. Keep extra food and get to know everyone and get them to trust each other. That’s the foundation for community defense.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

:goonsay:

Trying to pretend that you aren't just doing the exact kind of internet tough-guying that you see from subscribers to the BudK catalogue just because you have a leftist ideology shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness.

I don't think that I am, but if you want to think that then that's fine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How are u posted:

Well what are you preparing to do to your enemies? Kiss them on the mouth? Tousle their hair playfully? Give them long, sensual back rubs?

You think that kind of stuff works on roving post climate apocalypse rape gangs?

Maybe. Just maybe.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's a bad idea because violence has been shown to promote authoritarian thinking in people. This is why the civil rights leaders were so insistent on peaceful protest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Spend this time establishing a mutual aid network with your neighbors. Keep extra food and get to know everyone and get them to trust each other. That’s the foundation for community defense.

I would rather not get to know my neighbors flying a TRUMP 2024 flag with a sign that says "COME AND TAKE THEM" since that would require me to either pretend I am a right winger like them, or be open about my political beliefs and mark myself as an enemy to them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

bird with big dick posted:

Well what are you preparing to do to your enemies? Kiss them on the mouth? Tousle their hair playfully? Give them long, sensual back rubs?

You think that kind of stuff works on roving post climate apocalypse rape gangs?

Maybe. Just maybe.

:rolleyes:

If it comes to "roving apocalypse rape gangs" I'll just kill myself and opt out. Enjoy.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I'm not in agreement with anyone in this discussion but killing yourself is not as easy as people think it is, even if faced with certain death (like the sun becoming a red giant) and/or a lot of pain.

Even knowingly letting yourself die is difficult. It usually requires tremendous physical and psychic pain before a breaking point is reached and a lot of the time that point is impulsive rather than a reasoned decision (which is even more difficult to reach and do). Even knowingly putting yourself in front of death's way is extremely difficult even if you are convinced you are doing the right thing.

Something like 0.3% - 3% of people (not thrown in camps or killed) won't collaborate with an evil regime. The rest will just try to survive and will absolutely collaborate.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

I'm not in agreement with anyone in this discussion but killing yourself is not as easy as people think it is, even if faced with certain death (like the sun becoming a red giant) and/or a lot of pain.

Even knowingly letting yourself die is difficult. It usually requires tremendous physical and psychic pain before a breaking point is reached and a lot of the time that point is impulsive rather than a reasoned decision (which is even more difficult to reach and do). Even knowingly putting yourself in front of death's way is extremely difficult even if you are convinced you are doing the right thing.

Something like 0.3% - 3% of people (not thrown in camps or killed) won't collaborate with an evil regime. The rest will just try to survive and will absolutely collaborate.

What do you mean by collaborate? It’s pretty hard to avoid collaborating with something like the current US system of refugee concentration camps because responsibility is so diffuse, both in the sense that I don’t know how I would refuse and in the sense that most people don’t see themselves as playing any part in the existence of the camps.

I am complicit in a system of camps because I participate in the society that created them and because I have done nothing to stop them, but I don’t know what to refuse and I don’t know what to do. The other half of that is all the people who see the camps as an alien problem created by Donald Trump that has no connection to their participation in society.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
LOL at that GOP congressman dude that thinks Republicans or their party have a soul.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Let me amend that, then. Collaboration is active participation. The vast, vast majority of people won't fight the regime, but go along with it. Most will actively participate if forced, pressured or bribed to. At the point it reaches totalitarianism or similar, pretty much everyone is collaborating even if its in a small way because they are providing the regime with material support (not that they have a lot of choice, they do, but not much of one).

An extremely small amount resist it or fight it.

My point is, suicide is not the simple out people think it is, maybe harder than actively resisting or fighting, but neither is something anywhere near most people do.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cranappleberry posted:

Let me amend that, then. Collaboration is active participation. The vast, vast majority of people won't fight the regime, but go along with it. Most will actively participate if forced, pressured or bribed to. At the point it reaches totalitarianism or similar, pretty much everyone is collaborating even if its in a small way because they are providing the regime with material support (not that they have a lot of choice, they do, but not much of one).

An extremely small amount resist it or fight it.

My point is, suicide is not the simple out people think it is, maybe harder than actively resisting or fighting, but neither is something anywhere near most people do.

The poster said "apocalypse rape gangs", not "regime I disagree with". I take that to mean a complete and total collapse of society on every level. I'm not interested in living that life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://twitter.com/PeterD_Adams/status/1420863663762776075?s=20