Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

that was truly something else. it's easy to look at our world and think nothing ever gets better, but sometimes science and culture advances and things, even slightly, get better.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm sorry that I missed it!!!
Please, continue and I'll catch the next movie night!!!

Manifisto

yeah, sorry I missed it!

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I had to think about How to Survive a Plague for a while to really digest it, and I'm still at it because, there's a lot there. It might be the densest documentary I've ever seen in terms of how much information is thrown at you, with really no relent, it's just a fire hose turned on at frame 1 and left on for almost two hours. No rests, no chance to catch your breath, and I think that's absolutely perfect. I'm a big fan of sensory overload as an artistic choice, I love the baroque, but I also know it has to be in service of real passion to avoid being crass; luckily this film has passion to spare so every wave of information overload rings true, which is both exhilarating and terrifying. It's not just dense as a documentary meeting its highest obligations as a thorough historic record, but also in service of the catastrophic emotional and ethical stakes of the subjects. I'm in awe of the weight of it, and how well that weight is carried.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight we're gonna watch Jeffrey, from 1995:

it's a romantic comedy and it has Patrick Stewart in his first openly gay role. Neat! See you tonight, at midnight GMT! http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
You had me at Nathan Lane

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

biosterous

it was really good!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

i pitched it to bfm partially on the strength of playing it against wednesdays "how to survive a plague" but it was much better than i expected. i wonder if the humourless dramadies of the 2000s and beyond are a product of these kinds of films using absurdity to soften a deadly reality extrapolated ad infinitum.

still! a funny and incredibly touching film with a strangely impressive cast.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah I was happily surprised, and I really enjoyed Sir Patrick Stewart, I feel like he redeemed himself after the last film we saw with him in it, Safe House.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight we're watching I Shot Andy Warhol!

Join us at http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

aaaaahhhhh

I love this movie but I am out and about tonight. or a please enjoy this extra in my stead.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Prof. Crocodile posted:

aaaaahhhhh

I love this movie but I am out and about tonight. or a please enjoy this extra in my stead.

i did.

it was very interesting but mostly very entertaining and i enjoyed it extremely a lot!

the guy who played warhol and the actor who played candy motherfucking crushed it, and as we talked about during the film the person playing valerie almost seems cartoonish, till you remember how extreme these people were and that these portrayals are more accurate to life than caricature.

Poise
JFC i just noticed this thread :doh:

I'll join the crew on Saturdays if I'm around!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

Poise posted:

JFC i just noticed this thread :doh:

I'll join the crew on Saturdays if I'm around!

please do! we gather on Wednesdays as well for "coupons and deals" (terrible content) nite

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah lately the distinction between Wednesdays and Saturdays has become very loose but we'll get back to the good movie / bad movie dichotomy soon.

I'm thinking August is gonna be "favorites" month, what do y'all think? We'll just watch whatever the heck we want for a month and then still have another month to pick a fun theme before we hit spooky movie October.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Yeah lately the distinction between Wednesdays and Saturdays has become very loose but we'll get back to the good movie / bad movie dichotomy soon.

I'm thinking August is gonna be "favorites" month, what do y'all think? We'll just watch whatever the heck we want for a month and then still have another month to pick a fun theme before we hit spooky movie October.

good idea! the themes are awesome but finding watchable movies within a given theme can pose a challenge.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

good idea! the themes are awesome but finding watchable movies within a given theme can pose a challenge.

Yeah especially when we're dealing with the ever-shifting sand foundation of youtube. But at the same time, I feel like redoubling our efforts for Pride Month II after our clumsy start to Pride Month I really paid off, there's been like 4 really good flicks this month I'm glad to have seen now.

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Well poo poo, my would-be submission is on youtube but not embedible. In case anyone want's to watch it:
Kenneth Branagh's In the Bleak Midwinter aka A Midwinter's Tale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI3tEMozweQ

There's some great acting, and great bad acting, and some great shots that don't look as great in this crappy youtube conversion. It's funny but also really emotional, and it's great to see the characters transform from 1-dimensional stereotypes into human beings. It also has a Noel Coward song.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Buttchocks posted:

It also has a Noel Coward song.

Also is the title of a slow but moving Gustav Holt work.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Bright Bart posted:

Also is the title of a slow but moving Gustav Holt work.

It's a pretty piece and I sometimes play on my harp. :3

BoldFrankensteinMir

Just two more nights of Pride Month II: Pride Prouder! So tonight we're gonna watch an all-time classic, 1960's "The Trials of Oscar Wilde" starring Peter Finch and James Mason!

Not only does this movie have a great cast and not only is it about some really interesting and pertinent historic events, but it's in Technirama! Which means it's anamorphic, wider than our modern 16X9 (1.77:1) standard (though at 2.25:1 it's not quite as wide as its primary competitor, 20th Century Fox's Cinemascope, which was 2.35:1). Bla bla bla camera nerd stuff that doesn't really matter anyway because the copy we're watching isn't the clearest print, but hey, Youtube. At least it seems to be complete.

See you there at Midnight GMT!

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

oh hell yes. now gotta figure out how to do my James mason impression over the chat function .

BoldFrankensteinMir

Some actors disappear into their roles, others have such strong personalities that they're always playing themselves. James Mason somehow manages to do both at once, it's eerie.

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

i just flat out could not get onto the BYOBmovies server. I tried a few times--and even succeeded briefly before being disconnected. was the ghost of james mason to blame? almost certainly.

Manifisto

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i just flat out could not get onto the BYOBmovies server. I tried a few times--and even succeeded briefly before being disconnected. was the ghost of james mason to blame? almost certainly.

I was on for a while but suddenly got booted from the server and can't log back on, v curious

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

psp-tv went down unfortunately! the vid still played if you stayed but if you reloaded then no dice (and chat was dead regardless)

it died somewhere in the vicinity of 1hr40, timestamped below. might've been before or after, i got up to grab a snack while listening to the court scene so idk when it actually broke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWf3VyLu9Y&t=6002s

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
on coupons and deals night no less...

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah that was weird, but still, a really good movie. And uh, it wasn't like I was holding out for a happy ending or nothing. Thanks for posting the vid in case anybody missed the ending, bios.

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Man shut our stream down for being too dapper.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Has anyone reached out to coco? If not I can try after work.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

On that topic I just wanted to share that I am still not working in my profession fully (as I await a language exam) but my volunteer hours basically bring in more money with grants and prizes than I could expect working full-time as a newbie professional.

Can I fund us watching some shows we normally wouldn't get a chance to do?

Manifisto

Bright Bart posted:

On that topic I just wanted to share that I am still not working in my profession fully (as I await a language exam) but my volunteer hours basically bring in more money with grants and prizes than I could expect working full-time as a newbie professional.

congrats! as far as I know there is a discord channel (Multiplex) for showing stuff hosted "elsewhere" but I'm fuzzy on the details of how we host stuff elsewhere. on a personal plex server maybe?

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I can host things starting Saturday from my personal servers and stream via OBS if necessary.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hosting in discord is easy because you just play whatever in a window and then have discord broadcast that window.

Manifisto

Leraika posted:

Hosting in discord is easy because you just play whatever in a window and then have discord broadcast that window.

that sounds pretty easy

e: and yet lackwits such as myself would need step by step instructions on how to "have discord broacast that window" lol

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 30, 2021

ty nesamdoom!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Manifisto posted:

that sounds pretty easy

It is! I streamed Clue for everyone one night to test and see if it'd work out and it went great!

The movie is a classic, too.

Manifisto

Leraika posted:

It is! I streamed Clue for everyone one night to test and see if it'd work out and it went great!

The movie is a classic, too.

it sure is!

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Bright Bart posted:

That's really generous, thank you! Here's the lowdown:

- We do have a Discord channel, Multiplex, here's an invite for anybody who is interested. There's a channel for announcing a showtime if you want to host something and a chat where you can feel out interest, and a technical channel for the ongoing discussion of how to best host events. Such as...

- We can stream movies on Discord from :filez: although it is technically against the user agreement (there AND here!) but yeah, it works.

- In addition Heather Papps and I have successfully used the Teleparty Chrome extension to watch some cool poo poo together, which is legal and stable and accesses a much wider library than Youtube. It works with Netflix, Disney+, Hulu and HBO, so if we want we could have movie nights chosen from any of those libraries IF everybody has an account AND everybody runs chrome. It's not too bad to set up but it's not nearly as simple as PSP-TV.

If you offer me free HBO I will gladly pick out crazy movies for us to watch, or if people want to go through the Disney archives sure, that'd be fun too. I watched all 50 films in the official animated canon one semester for a class in college so I know a ton of nerdy animation trivia about all of them (or I can shut up and not ruin your day with my endless whining about Oliver and Company, the film so bad Don Bluth led a walk-out of the entire staff). Netflix and Hulu both kinda suck for movies, has been my experience at least, but then I already have subscriptions to both of them so, invite away.

Movies movies movies, who's got the movies!?

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Should psp-tv ever go down, there's also https://cytu.be/, which psp-tv is just like, a mirror of. I think cytube has the benefit of being less buggy maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Psp-tv is up again