Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

bulletsponge13 posted:

Channel 5 (Andrew, formerly of All Gas No Brakes) goes to a Q Con.

https://youtu.be/KYKOLwt8pwo

This guy might be the last investigative journalist left in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

RIP Dusty

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Do it Australia

Turn Sydney into Thunderplaguedome

quote:

Police have not ruled out a 'ring of steel' around Sydney if the number of LGAs of high concern increase, Commissioner Mick Fuller has said.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...dd-3654e730b482

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

8.2 earthquake in Alaska peninsula

They are evacuating Coast Guard base Kodiak.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ElMaligno posted:

8.2 earthquake in Alaska peninsula

They are evacuating Coast Guard base Kodiak.

If I’m reading this forecast right, the tsunami was expected to arrive thirteen minutes ago and comprise waves less than one foot in height.

I hope that’s true.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

If I’m reading this forecast right, the tsunami was expected to arrive thirteen minutes ago and comprise waves less than one foot in height.

I hope that’s true.

Looks like the danger has passed!

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420695081179389955?s=19

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1420662237451087876?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 29, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
:frogsiren: :killdozer: :frogsiren:

WE'VE GOT A KILLDOZEREXCAVATOR-ALERT IN DEUTSCHISTAN

https://twitter.com/LONE81/status/1420491401981308932

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

That Works posted:

Yeah it's largely that they know most of the people renting are students or people from overseas who are going to get out of town..

My experience is that once I started working for big recognizable multi-national employers I started getting 100% of my deposits back but there were a few other factors…

I usually use van line movers/corporate relocations which was often scheduled before my move out date. That means my place was empty before my end date which made the move out inspection super easy. Catch was I’d usually drop $200 on a cleaning crew to do carpets , get all the scale off any bathroom glass and clean all appliances. I clean the walls and do touch up paint and fill any holes left by pictures and paintings. Basically the place was often in better shape than I moved in.

This was super easy with small time landlords. Big corporate run rentals will try to swindle 200-300$ but if you do the move out inspection with them and they see rhe place is turn key ready to turn over they’ll give all the money back also.

Legit though? The place got to be clean/near perfect and for the time / effort you may be better off just letting them keep $200 or whatever

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Big K of Justice posted:

My experience is that once I started working for big recognizable multi-national employers I started getting 100% of my deposits back but there were a few other factors…

I usually use van line movers/corporate relocations which was often scheduled before my move out date. That means my place was empty before my end date which made the move out inspection super easy. Catch was I’d usually drop $200 on a cleaning crew to do carpets , get all the scale off any bathroom glass and clean all appliances. I clean the walls and do touch up paint and fill any holes left by pictures and paintings. Basically the place was often in better shape than I moved in.

This was super easy with small time landlords. Big corporate run rentals will try to swindle 200-300$ but if you do the move out inspection with them and they see rhe place is turn key ready to turn over they’ll give all the money back also.

Legit though? The place got to be clean/near perfect and for the time / effort you may be better off just letting them keep $200 or whatever

Yeah generally these places are doing full month deposit only and the problem you run into is just that they ghost you after you leave and don't send you anything back or return calls etc and are holding around 2k in deposit. Very rarely do you get one trying to make a claim of some damage or something that's BS. Usually it's just a no contact kind of thing. They make you fight for it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

That Works posted:

Yeah generally these places are doing full month deposit only and the problem you run into is just that they ghost you after you leave and don't send you anything back or return calls etc and are holding around 2k in deposit. Very rarely do you get one trying to make a claim of some damage or something that's BS. Usually it's just a no contact kind of thing. They make you fight for it.

When I worked in Canada my favorite line against one landlord who I knew had a bunch of illegal basement apartment conversions was to say “ hey you are reporting all this income to revenue Canada right ? “ I got my full deposit back. I leased a furnished condo in Vancouver once… speculation was so crazy the place got flipped 2 times in a year, I had to keep making e deposits to different entities. When I moved out I had the original land lord ask me if he could come in and grab some artwork because the other dudes thought it was an unfurnished unit. He also told me to take anything I wanted. I already had a ton of stuff in storage in LA they had a real nice leather sectional I could have but I had no immediate means to transport it back to the us. I did take a whole bunch of cool coffee table art books on skate board and graffiti art though …

On the other hand all my rentals were in writing except for the one dirtbag in Toronto like 20 years ago

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

Rented a place once, me and my roomates accidentally put some holes in the drywalls moving in and some other random damage that we did a lovely job patching up, but they didn't notice or point out the obviously lovely patch/repair jobs. They instead pointed out the hole in the wall in the basement, where the dryer exhaust is routed, and the fact the kitchen cabinets that I had video from the move in that showed they didn't open right. So uh... landlords are a land of contrast I guess?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/RussianSpaceWeb...ingawful.com%2F

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, its already been corrected: Nauka fired thrusters a bunch, tilted the ISS 45 degrees off orientation. They brought the Soyuz Progress resupply ship online and countered to restore oreintation. All is well now, they are waiting to get over Russia in 15 minutes for the Russian controllers to disable Nauka's thrusters.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DCist/status/1420788186385690624

God loving dammit.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wonder what florida will do

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Waroduce posted:

Wonder what florida will do

Just like Texas, the dumbest and worst thing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

At this point I’m loving through with people who are willingly unvaccinated. gently caress the vaccine hesitant, gently caress the all-natural wine mommy bloggers who are worried about CHEMICALS IN THE VACCINES, and double-gently caress the Chuds who won’t get vaccinated because they think it helps Biden. The time for carrots has passed- bring on the sticks. No more cash payouts or lotteries to entice the unvaccinated- your prize is that you get to join the civilized world and go to restaurants and live what passes for a normal life these days. The impending wave of restrictions are such a slap in the face for those of us who put our lives on hold in 2020, wore the masks and scrounged for vaccines in March and April of this year.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My coworker went to the hospital after his first vaccine and he wanted it. Apparently he passed the gently caress out and had difficulty breathing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Just like Texas, the dumbest and worst thing.

It'll likely be worse. Desantis has white house aspirations and boggling the response is his ticket in and it'll probably work

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

My coworker went to the hospital after his first vaccine and he wanted it. Apparently he passed the gently caress out and had difficulty breathing.

a Deputy District Attorney in my courthouse is sick as poo poo. He told me months ago that he was fully vaccinated. He could have been lying, but we have since been told by his office that someone employed in that office has tested positive this week. I don't know for certain that those two events are connected but uh, common sense and all certainly suggests that's the case.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nah he just passed out and bounced back after the shot. He may have previously had it asymptomatically, as apparently a strong reaction to the vaccine may indicate previous antibodies.

IANAD but he takes all this stuff p. seriously aside from not getting vaccines post school.

I have found most people are hardheaded about the flu vaccine but I've been vocal about them for years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

a Deputy District Attorney in my courthouse is sick as poo poo. He told me months ago that he was fully vaccinated. He could have been lying, but we have since been told by his office that someone employed in that office has tested positive this week. I don't know for certain that those two events are connected but uh, common sense and all certainly suggests that's the case.

The covid vaccines, and the flu shot for that matter, prevent the disease from killing you or putting you in the hospital. You can be incredibly sick without needing to be in the hospital.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

The covid vaccines, and the flu shot for that matter, prevent the disease from killing you or putting you in the hospital. You can be incredibly sick without needing to be in the hospital.

Yep, and that's more and more what Delta appears to be doing - maybe not breaking through as much as this case appears to show, but definitely putting unvaccinated people in the hospital versus the vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1420859352051769349

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/RetroNewsNow/status/1420862724565831681

just an all around good movie imho.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1420848392515751945?s=20

IANAL but when the EAU is superseded by approval this order means nothing and can be required like flu shot and other stuff, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The impending wave of restrictions are such a slap in the face for those of us who put our lives on hold in 2020, wore the masks and scrounged for vaccines in March and April of this year.

The vaccine fairy could visit every of-age American in the night and the epidemic would continue. Children and Delta make it so.

Public masking should have continued till children could become immunized. This order is a good step.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420879343312674817

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

The vaccine fairy could visit every of-age American in the night and the epidemic would continue. Children and Delta make it so.

Public masking should have continued till children could become immunized. This order is a good step.

This is why I didn't enter a friend of mine's house last night, because I was at (double-masked) the Reading Terminal Market rather briefly last Saturday, and while all three of us are 10+ weeks and counting since our second shot, their less-than-six-month-old certainly isn't vaccinated.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You’re 100% right about the pandemic continuing and also that the mask guidance shouldn’t have been lifted until kids could get vaccinated as well. That’s part of why I’m so pissed that we’re having to do this again. Whole lotta people in government and industry desperately wanted to declare victory over COVID and walking it back sure must suck.

My work is talking about bringing back international work travel as soon as September and I’d rather resign first.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Come ferry with me milord

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Come ferry with me milord

Are there dogs?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes also bring your own

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Get you a boat up into Colorado. If LeVar Burton and Troy can pilot the Childish Tycoon from Colorado to the ocean, you can backtrack a way up. I can meet you on the Arkansas or Rio Grande.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gaze upon the one time twitter has calmed me the gently caress down versus the alternative (my second surgery is in weeks and I'm worried about it getting pushed even more, though this area is low transmission):

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1420929121362776067?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Whole CDC PDF here.

As a PNG album: https://imgur.com/a/7hFVlj0

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So the vaccines have an 88% effectiveness rate?

That fact alone, if adequately publicized, should get a good chunk of the shittiest anti-vaxxers to finally roll up their sleeves. Maybe even as high as ~14%. >.>

:smith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I haven't stopped masking despite getting vaccinated and new cases falling to 0 around here and I still haven't played a dang game of warhams outside the house despite starting it up at the beginning of the pandemic thinking I got all the time in the world to build and paint

Well I guess I do now

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Currently playing the "oh poo poo is that sneeze where it starts" phase of post-contact quarantine. I am so loving through coddling all these goddamned brats who refuse to get the shot.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Uh, did you miss the NY Times think piece about how vaxxed people being angry at the unvaxxed might make them *checks notes* not get vaxxed?

gently caress them all. Every time one of then dies a preventable death, I can't help but giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Uh, did you miss the NY Times think piece about how vaxxed people being angry at the unvaxxed might make them *checks notes* not get vaxxed?

gently caress them all. Every time one of then dies a preventable death, I can't help but giggle.

Then you'll either laugh or cry at this:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...4b-d7f72fde75d8

quote:

The NSW Police Commissioner has warned that people protesting anywhere in Sydney over the weekend during COVID-19 lockdowns will be met by "up to 1000 police". 

The warning comes after major protests in the Sydney CBD last weekend saw dozens charged.

"Coming into town to protest is not the answer," Mick Fuller said.