Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you think proxy is insane, wait until you get AP. You need to aim, but it can kill basically any ship in a few rounds at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Voyager I posted:

Some foibles I've noticed:

The shipwork can be very fiddly and does not have a memory, such that it liable treat removing and reattaching a component as if you had replaced it wholesale and charge you appropriately. Rather annoying when misclicking on a Bomber can cost $2000.

Ramming, even accidentally, causes an event with a colossal fleetwide morale debuff. I triggered this erroneously in my last campaign (I did bump an enemy by accident, but it did not destroy the ship in question) off the back of a difficult fight and it ended the run by putting my entire fleet into mutiny.

Ship components and ammo are fixed price buying or selling, anything you accidentally buy and don’t use will be in inventory and can be sold for full refund.

It will also show you the cost of things you’re adding from your own inventory, but those aren’t actually charged to you as you already own them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

so never stay in a town for more than 10 hours right?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Aside from the cities eventually getting sick of you and calling a bunch of very angry missile spammers, is there any time pressure to the campaign? Some of the repair times can get really long and I'm wondering at what point I should just sell the ship for scrap and move on.

E:

punishedkissinger posted:

so never stay in a town for more than 10 hours right?

Is that an actual limit or just a guess? I swear I've sat in a city repairing for 15 hours and it was fine but I was also playing at like 2am so maybe I hallucinated that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Aside from the cities eventually getting sick of you and calling a bunch of very angry missile spammers, is there any time pressure to the campaign? Some of the repair times can get really long and I'm wondering at what point I should just sell the ship for scrap and move on.

E:

Is that an actual limit or just a guess? I swear I've sat in a city repairing for 15 hours and it was fine but I was also playing at like 2am so maybe I hallucinated that.

it depends where the strike fleet actually is

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

it depends where the strike fleet actually is

Yeah they do make it sound like "OH poo poo WORLDS ENDING" with a red flashing 'Dangerous' if you stay forever, but it just means that your position is being relayed to the nearest(?) strike fleet, I believe. Eventually, they will shoot missiles at you and move to engage. If you're very undetected so far (or planning to quickly beat feet) getting spotted isn't necessarily the worst thing, especially if it means an extra few hours to grab a morale or finish repairing your favorite combat ship. Just be very aware that it does give the enemy a target if you plan on hanging around that immediate area.

All that said, I still do my best to not overstay and would rather repair a ship in two parts if I can avoid using it during the next city combat.

M_Gargantua posted:

The skylark is designed to be a passive scout. You can move long distances with a low thermal signature and radar cross section, so you can plop it 50km off of a supply line and snoop traffic while your fleet moves elsewhere. If you can get a bearing with the RWR or thermal, then scoot, then get another bearing, you'll have a fix on whatever it is.

All of this info about signatures and cross sections and ranges being thrown at me and it never occurred to me to do something like this. I'm going to have to start thinking way more creatively, this is cool.

Can you leave a skylark more or less indefinitely landed somewhere or will it eventually screw up their morale or something?

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

I love the long distance missile strikes, the whole setup is cool.

A kill. Shame I can't loving see it because it's so tiny.

I like how the missiles come from either side to make the asymmetry more interesting

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

Everybody getting into the meat of the game, breaking down the obtuse mechanics. Meanwhile, me:

Also even though I couldn't bear to kill the ant on my god drat map I sold all the nukes to the local merchants because my fleet's need for 20,000 tons of fuel ain't gonna pay for itself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is fun, but I don't understand all the advanced radar stuff and I really have no desire to dive super deep into grognard radar mechanisms, and the campaign just goes to poo poo eventually if you're not tracking the strike forces carefully :( I've restarted a few times because I find myself getting swarmed by strike forces - and the annoying part is they're actually pretty easy to beat in combat, but the campaign becomes impossible because once they know where you are you can never stop to repair/refuel without getting swarmed by more and more missiles and fleets.

Michaellaneous posted:

If you think proxy is insane, wait until you get AP. You need to aim, but it can kill basically any ship in a few rounds at most.

I just tried out AP and it made quick work of super hard armor targets, but Proxy seems better for everything else. It's basically a shotgun that doesn't fire until it's right next to the enemy and it literally kills smaller ships in 1-2 shots with a 130mm cannon. It does next to nothing against those hard targets though so keeping both active in your strike force seems ideal

Laser Guided is also extremely fun on the bigger cannons, and on any ship that has multiple weapons since you get a laser pointer for a while after firing a laser guided shot that you can use to aim easily with your other guns. Laser Guided shots follow the laser pointer and you can steer them mid-flight. I have some small ship like an Intrepid that has an absolutely gigantic gently caress-off laser guided cannon that can pick apart huge flying tanks from across the map

Ship-to-ship missiles seem kinda worthless, anything dangerous is going to have so much point defense a missile will never get close and I've blown myself up on a missile I just fired more than once. Just gimme cannons and point defense missiles :hellyeah:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 30, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 37mm CIWS pwns in large volume in general tbh. I refit a lightning with one of them an a twin barrel 130mm. I think that might be the ideal setup. 130mm AP rounds can one shot crusiers if you hit the ammo dump.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

M_Gargantua posted:

Ship components and ammo are fixed price buying or selling, anything you accidentally buy and don’t use will be in inventory and can be sold for full refund.

It will also show you the cost of things you’re adding from your own inventory, but those aren’t actually charged to you as you already own them.

Right, that's the intended behavior.

However, removing a craft from my carrier deck, then changing my mind and putting it back costs $2,000 in repair bills even though it's just transferring from my hold and I haven't actually changed the layout of the ship or advanced time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You have to hit undo if you want to undo anything, yeah. And that resets everything, you can’t just go back one step.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game is fun, but I don't understand all the advanced radar stuff and I really have no desire to dive super deep into grognard radar mechanisms, and the campaign just goes to poo poo eventually if you're not tracking the strike forces carefully :( I've restarted a few times because I find myself getting swarmed by strike forces - and the annoying part is they're actually pretty easy to beat in combat, but the campaign becomes impossible because once they know where you are you can never stop to repair/refuel without getting swarmed by more and more missiles and fleets.

If you're being hunted turn off your Radar, and if you can transit across a big desert to break their tail. Just like you have RWR so do they, and active radars can be detected from ~900+ km away long before you'll see anything on it. It lets them come right toward you, and the only thing saving you is that strike groups are slow and need to stop and refuel often.

If you can't ever find time to refuel your fleet is probably too fuel inefficient, and you'll bleed out funds too fast, don't be afraid to sell ships. I often buy Yars or Yars MkIIs if I see them at mercenary shops, use the cruise missiles within a town or two (which make up the bulk of the cost) and then immediately sell them.

Voyager I posted:

Right, that's the intended behavior.

However, removing a craft from my carrier deck, then changing my mind and putting it back costs $2,000 in repair bills even though it's just transferring from my hold and I haven't actually changed the layout of the ship or advanced time.

I've never seen it charge you for stuff in inventory, it shows a number yeah, but the funds shouldn't go down? Again probably a bug.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

M_Gargantua posted:

I've never seen it charge you for stuff in inventory, it shows a number yeah, but the funds shouldn't go down? Again probably a bug.

Yes, it is a bug. The purpose of the post was to warn other players about the bug.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I was interested in this game because it looked like a cross between Lander and Space Taxi mixed with the grittiness of that tablet game where you were killing zombies in a B17 or something.

Was hoping it'd be a super fun arcadey thing that was just good fun. Sort of turned off by the painful punishment it wants to deliver also.

Not my cup of casual-play games, but I will watch it. :)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I havent gotten so far in the story because I keep dying in fire...but there are several radar items that are not listed with descriptions, at least yet. There is a jammer-can that has a 5k range it seems, and the Negev light cruiser has a special radar tower that I cant place on anything esle, or buy.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 30, 2021

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
My first campaign I landed the flagship, badly, and it caught fire just before the landing was acknowledged. Then it went to the menu with the ship still on fire, which shortly after burnt down, killing the Prince.
10/10

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hell yea this game vibes

I heard the music from the intro and with the comms voice, man this threw me back to some great Homeworld feels

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dead gay comedy forums posted:

hell yea this game vibes

I heard the music from the intro and with the comms voice, man this threw me back to some great Homeworld feels

i would kill for a game to steal original homeworld's understated style. it's such a classic. deserts of kharak is close I guess but just not the same. come to think of it a game that's basically this but actually about fleet command instead of Last Stand Simulator would be awesome. flying rocket powered Korean war battleships is such a good idea

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
What are the blue cannon shots that some enemies have? I think I've cycled through everything in the shipbuilder without seeing them, so are they a special ammo type?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i would kill for a game to steal original homeworld's understated style. it's such a classic. deserts of kharak is close I guess but just not the same. come to think of it a game that's basically this but actually about fleet command instead of Last Stand Simulator would be awesome. flying rocket powered Korean war battleships is such a good idea

deffo agreed, this hits the spot way more than deserts of kharak does lmao

and just played my first battle and god-drat the effects are satisfying, each blast loving delivers

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Can anyone give 50 words on strategic weapons? I could just trial and error I suppose but wondering how aircraft raids and cruise/nukes work. Do you just have to get their cone onto an enemy not unlike missiles coming at you? Are planes similar? Do planes make for good scouts for missiles?

I've been having too much fun with fleets that are nothing but small interceptors and things to get much in the way of missiles.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Can anyone give 50 words on strategic weapons? I could just trial and error I suppose but wondering how aircraft raids and cruise/nukes work. Do you just have to get their cone onto an enemy not unlike missiles coming at you? Are planes similar? Do planes make for good scouts for missiles?

I've been having too much fun with fleets that are nothing but small interceptors and things to get much in the way of missiles.

I haven't figured out how to sortie planes yet but strategic and tactical missiles both work this way, yes. They're not ICBMs, but I'm not sure they have much of an upper range. You fire at a position, and if the sensor cone hits a contact you'll get the interception scene. Conventional missiles have to actually hit their target, tactical nukes just get close and airburst. I've never fired a strategic nuke, I'm not sure if they get an interception phase where they can actually get shot down.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can use planes during actual battles too, from what I've seen. Not sure how good they are.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

What are the blue cannon shots that some enemies have? I think I've cycled through everything in the shipbuilder without seeing them, so are they a special ammo type?

I think those are proximity shot if we are thinking of the same thing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Carriers are probably worth taking just for the recon ability they add. maybe just mod the sevastpol though hmm.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

are there any early must-have modifications for the ships?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

You can use planes during actual battles too, from what I've seen. Not sure how good they are.

They distract the enemy and do a bit of damage. I used them once because I still haven't worked out the controls and didn't realise they had better advantages on the tactical map.
Pretty useful to stop 3-4 ships drilling you but they'll probably get hosed pretty quickly. I also think if you launch them off the side of the screen they won't come back which happened to me when I tried sending them straight away when I started an attack.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

The shipbuilder test mode is always pretty unforgiving but I tested this and they seem pretty much useless all things considered, unless maybe you had a lot of bombers and got lucky with a large enemy ship they can nail.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Planes and carriers are more of strategic action than a tactical one in this game. If your carrier is in combat you failed as a carrier captian.

Im min-maxing this game and making a flagship from the ground up. But the radar and sensor logic is confusing me. Obviously if a radar/sensor blocks another one they show up red as a dead angle. But what about hull forms? They arent showing up red but a faded yellow for the search angle.

In this image you can see a search radar/sensor. When placed to the side of a hull form. One side seems to have perfect view

Now in this second picture, the sensor on the right is being blocked by the sensor on the left.

But that pale angle of view is still there. What does that mean? Lowered detectability?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I just beat a battle, and then after some cutscenes I got a game over apparently????

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Legin Noslen posted:

I just beat a battle, and then after some cutscenes I got a game over apparently????

I think if your flagship is in combat, even if it survives, there's a chance Mark Sayadi is one of the casualties. It seems pretty low. The poor Sevastopol got down to about 50% crew before I lost the Emperor.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The planes would be useful if you could like, deploy a carrier alongside another ship. You can launch them from the carrier then retreat the carrier but I don't know if that's even worth doing

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah I tried launching my carrier and retreating but I got absolutely drilled and all my planes got knocked out before my 2nd ship even hit the field anyway.

Going one at a time feels kinda weird when this game could totally do squad v squad.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ErKeL posted:

Yeah I tried launching my carrier and retreating but I got absolutely drilled and all my planes got knocked out before my 2nd ship even hit the field anyway.

Going one at a time feels kinda weird when this game could totally do squad v squad.

I am sure they tried that, but quickly found that the AI controlled ships will take too much damage in every fight. It can work but will require completely new balance where ships are more expendable.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So I made something:

Guess it could be described as a long range missile carrier, definitely not designed for combat engagement. Currently doing a campaign with just it and the Sevastopol, the idea being that the missile carrier blows up enemies at long range and the Sevastopol cleans up the rest. Could be used with tactical nukes instead for extra effectiveness, but this of course means MAD.

Will report back on how it goes.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

You might want to use fixed thrusters instead if you’re going that route.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Back Hack posted:

You might want to use fixed thrusters instead if you’re going that route.

Good thinking, will replace.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So, here are two of my designs that seem to working out for me, they're essentially better Gladiators.

Tallboy: Armed with 4x100mm autocannons and a chain-gun, with options for a couple external missiles and plenty of APS. Basically my workhorse.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b-aPXTJGGeKYtswxemSeGIt5ZEnWIYlo?usp=sharing

Nutcracker: Wielding 2xchain-guns, 2x100mm autocannons, 1x180mm cannon, and internal missile bay of missiles. Basically my cruiser killer, missiles and the cannons put big holes in the armor at a distant, while the chain-guns rip apart the internals components at close-range.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wiu2eJmgHsJ0G8vFmZJzuGO0fZIkHh3P?usp=sharing

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I’m just digging into the ship builder. I appreciate all the designs being posted. I’m trying to get my designs to be less :jeb: