Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

if Antonio Davis played today he’d have to hit 3s at a basic rate which I think he could do

yeah, i would view him as being like KG. if he were playing in the modern NBA (and thus grew up developing his game different), he would have developed range to knock down 3s at a decent rate, even if he wouldn't be what anyone would call a great 3pt shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

indigi posted:

I’m gonna pose to the thread a hypothetical I heard on a basketball podcast I really like. you’re adding a player to a playoff team and you can pick either Antonio Davis, or Louis

details about Louis: he’s a 5’7” somewhat athletic white guy with bad defense and a long windup/release. like, longest in the NBA by a standard deviation.

any shot he gets off from inside half court goes in 100% of the time. if he’s beyond half court, it goes in 30% of the time. he can put a ton of arc on the ball so he’s capable of shooting almost vertically, he can lean around a player and underhand it in, he can even bounce it off the floor and it will go in (if it isn’t blocked, in all cases), but he can’t bank it off his own net/backboard into the opposite net.

who are you taking

No one is allowed to defend three pointers without being called for a foul so you gotta take Louis for his literal magic powers and maybe hook him up with Trae or Antonio (lol) to teach him how to take a dive properly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jdumasreports/status/1420766989056843790?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/...r-the-53rd-pick

this is a sixers front office planted story

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/st...r-the-53rd-pick

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Russ to the Lakers

Incredible

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
scottie barnes at 4. toronto raptors FO messing up the draft board

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that was the first good Orlando draft luck in awhile maybe

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Westbrook with LeBron lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are basketball players allowed to hold hands on the court. I’m asking to see if they could form a human shield around Louis at half court

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ex post facho posted:

Westbrook with LeBron lmao

wow this seems nuts

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Now This is Going To Be Fun

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the kobe/nash/dwight lakers dream revived, 10 years later

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Now This is Going To Be Fun

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hey you know maybe third time's the charm of putting russ on a team with a top 5 player and this time the team won't blow up

either that or lebron ends up on the nets within two years

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

the kobe/nash/dwight lakers dream revived, 10 years later

massive pau slander

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

massive pau slander

that's also a key part of lakers culture

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Unfortunately old LeBron is now an off-ball catch and shoot guy. He needs a young gunner to take the reins, and most of the shots.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Unfortunately old LeBron is now an off-ball catch and shoot guy. He needs a young gunner to take the reins, and most of the shots.

my understanding is that his summer workouts with the Tune Squad has helped turn back the clock since bugs bunny is known to have a hookup for Michael's Secret Stuff

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 30, 2021

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I am but a humble basketball watcher, not a Man of Hoop, but it seems odd to me that anyone would look at last years lakers and be like “they’ve gotta make a trade to get older and shorten up their bench”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the trade for Westbrook makes no sense. if they play AD at center it may make more sense but that has never really happened

A center that can’t shoot on the floor with Westbrook would mean no offense at all

Westbrook is bad at defense too

who knows Lebron has made weirder things work

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

right now they've got 4 guaranteed contracts on the books, LeBron, AD, Russ, and Marc Gasol

very possible that they'll get a few ring chasers on sweetheart deals and be able to fill out the rest of the roster well enough to limp into a 6-8 seed in the playoffs. Russ being a regular season superstar helps in that regard

open question whether they can keep AD healthy for a playoff run, but if they do, that's possibly a very dangerous team

still, there's a significant chance that Russ just can't work with LeBron and AD because he's Russ and it all blows up, and either way I am here for it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they have bird rights for Caruso and THT who they will probably be back

DS is gone

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

it would be exponentially funnier if they did a sign and trade and traded them too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

like KCP is good

why did they do that . he’s better than Westbrook

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
So Beal has to be gone right?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know why russ has a reputation of being a locker room cancer (well, i do but it would be nice for people to admit it to me) when his teammates have been j. harden k. durant and p. george, all of which were more interested at the time in real estate on the coasts than playing ball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dreylad posted:

So Beal has to be gone right?

they made the team a lot better so who knows

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

there was also some comments that they're gonna try for Dinwiddie with the folks they brought in so even if you think the team is worse now (it's not), they're not tearing down at least

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dinwiddle and Beal would be fantastic

if they can get anyone to play defense at all that is a good team

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hifi posted:

i dont know why russ has a reputation of being a locker room cancer (well, i do but it would be nice for people to admit it to me) when his teammates have been j. harden k. durant and p. george, all of which were more interested at the time in real estate on the coasts than playing ball.

me neither, he seems like a lovable goofy dude from what I can tell. I really like him even if his stats are a bit hollow (whatever that means) he’s just incredibly fun to watch

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Russ is not even a regular season superstar anymore. Beal carried that Wizards team last year, and they still barely made the playoffs in the East

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azathoth posted:

right now they've got 4 guaranteed contracts on the books, LeBron, AD, Russ, and Marc Gasol

very possible that they'll get a few ring chasers on sweetheart deals and be able to fill out the rest of the roster well enough to limp into a 6-8 seed in the playoffs. Russ being a regular season superstar helps in that regard

open question whether they can keep AD healthy for a playoff run, but if they do, that's possibly a very dangerous team

still, there's a significant chance that Russ just can't work with LeBron and AD because he's Russ and it all blows up, and either way I am here for it

Schroder decided to take his ball and go to free agency and it seems like they got desperate to replace him with a star point guard instead of trying to build somewhere else. The one plus I saw about the deal for them was that if they can lean on Westbrook a lot in the regular season that means they can rest Lebron and AD more and save them for the playoffs, which might mean having a healthy team when it matters instead of a dead one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American basketball is in the wilderness. NFL it is.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

American basketball is in the wilderness. NFL it is.

summer league starts before the nfl preseason games

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Schroder decided to take his ball and go to free agency and it seems like they got desperate to replace him with a star point guard instead of trying to build somewhere else. The one plus I saw about the deal for them was that if they can lean on Westbrook a lot in the regular season that means they can rest Lebron and AD more and save them for the playoffs, which might mean having a healthy team when it matters instead of a dead one.
the big question with that strategy is how well they can fill out their roster with guys that can play significant regular season minutes and also not get hurt. like, Carmelo on a veteran minimum contract is kind of a no brainer if he'll sign, but there's kind of a cumulative risk with filling out your team like that, as the Nets showed this year

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
josh primo?!?

!?

?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I don't see why they would feel desperate. They reportedly could have had their choice of a ton of other players. LA is still clearly considered the premier destination for ring chasers. Hell LeBron himself can carry a big portion of the PG role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1421948516260265989?s=21