Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I felt like I walked into a dungeon after doing the outside puzzles. Fire cave felt like more of that mountain and I've already forgotten what the first one was besides whacking spiders and crystals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Okay but like, there was a big title card across the screen and everything.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

romanowski posted:

absolutely baffled by this statement

It's extremely subtle and seamless the way the game transitions from overworld to dungeon. Very easy to miss the gigantic door, the cutscene of link stoically walking down huge ancient stone stairs, the screen transition, change in music, dungeon introductory cutscene, and brief conversation with Fi. You've gotta have a sharp eye and be really tuned into the world design to spot these little clues

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Khanstant posted:

People bringing up the map, red x on map, or talking to moles: Show don't tell. If this were originally a Wii U or DS game, maybe I could get trying to hamfist in map gimmicks, but lol, the sand areas where you don't sink having no visual indicator whatsoever is goofy. Use the map, plop a beacon, naw, just design it better. They actually do it right sometimes, give you a patch of grass to run toward, throw a slime in to show it's solid in a direction, cool, good.

Beginning to think maybe there was a reason they originally had Fi explain everything to the player

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How can you talk about the Lanayru Mining Facility without talking about how awesome the timeshift stone gimmick is? It’s one of the few actually cool and innovative mechanics in the game. It’s why Lanayru is the best area. Of course the best dungeon is the next one, Ancient Cistern, but the Mining Facility and the Sandship are also awesome.

Edit:

Khanstant posted:

People bringing up the map, red x on map, or talking to moles: Show don't tell. If this were originally a Wii U or DS game, maybe I could get trying to hamfist in map gimmicks, but lol, the sand areas where you don't sink having no visual indicator whatsoever is goofy. Use the map, plop a beacon, naw, just design it better. They actually do it right sometimes, give you a patch of grass to run toward, throw a slime in to show it's solid in a direction, cool, good.

If only there had been a series of giant walls in the area that gave you a reference point for where you could walk on the sand.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 29, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How can you talk about the Lanayru Mining Facility without talking about how awesome the timeshift stone gimmick is? It’s one of the few actually cool and innovative mechanics in the game. It’s why Lanayru is the best area. Of course the best dungeon is the next one, Ancient Cistern, but the Mining Facility and the Sandship are also awesome.

I thought it was a really cool idea but it wasn't really used to its full potential in the dungeon itself (I don't know if it comes up again later). It's mostly just used to remove sand from rooms and spawn new enemies. I could see it being used to incredible effect if a new game did it today though.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I realized when watching a video on BotW that the geography of Hyrule in both games is the same, too, down to the names of the major locations

I also realized that the BotW sequel appears to be about floating islands above Hyrule....

I've absolutely been sucked into the theories about the Zonai/Twili relationship and the first BOTW2 trailer, and now I'm absolutely convinced they're going to tie BOTW2 back to SS.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Water Dragon is easily the worst character in this game because you walk in already having proven yourself explicitly as the chosen hero of the goddess wielding her legendary sword and already having done a dungeon or two and she’s still like duhhh you need to prove yourself as the chosen hero if you want my help, and the fucker does it twice

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

Okay but like, there was a big title card across the screen and everything.

No poo poo, doesn't mean it feels like a dungeon because they announce "here's our dungeon, you can tell mostly because we're telling you"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit:

If only there had been a series of giant walls in the area that gave you a reference point for where you could walk on the sand.

Had no problem navigating the sand paths, it's just a stupid gimmick and I wasn't impressed with how they implemented it. In the actual dungeon especially it was useless, you didn't need to use the map or visual indicators just fuckin run lol. The fact that the gust does nothing whatsoever with it is also just ??? to me.

The sand piles room where you just had a little spike maze and switch to hit I briefly thought was better than it was, because the sand graphics were glitched in that room. I thought perhaps they wanted me to push sand into piles around the room to get over the spike walls, which would've been a cool use of the bellows but it's a special kind that only destroys dust.

Time crystal was neat, always like a light world / dark world but didn't feel like they did all that much with it. I kept waiting for them to make me have to do something in one mode to carry over into the other to accomplish or move something you otherwise couldn't... but it never happened. Twice I overthought puzzles assuming they were finally utilizing it further. First in a room where I thought they wanted me to take the baby electro-crabs to put them space apart so I could do sand-dashing and rest on their shells to recover stamina. Another time, first time I encountered the door guardian totem, I thought they wanted me to lure it away, hit the crystal to make him inert away from the door, then I could proceed. But you just have to turn the past on to wake it up and fight it, it's a fine enemy but they weren't really doing anything by making me hit a switch to turn it on once.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Khanstant posted:

No poo poo, doesn't mean it feels like a dungeon because they announce "here's our dungeon, you can tell mostly because we're telling you"

Had no problem navigating the sand paths, it's just a stupid gimmick and I wasn't impressed with how they implemented it. In the actual dungeon especially it was useless, you didn't need to use the map or visual indicators just fuckin run lol. The fact that the gust does nothing whatsoever with it is also just ??? to me.

The sand piles room where you just had a little spike maze and switch to hit I briefly thought was better than it was, because the sand graphics were glitched in that room. I thought perhaps they wanted me to push sand into piles around the room to get over the spike walls, which would've been a cool use of the bellows but it's a special kind that only destroys dust.

Time crystal was neat, always like a light world / dark world but didn't feel like they did all that much with it. I kept waiting for them to make me have to do something in one mode to carry over into the other to accomplish or move something you otherwise couldn't... but it never happened. Twice I overthought puzzles assuming they were finally utilizing it further. First in a room where I thought they wanted me to take the baby electro-crabs to put them space apart so I could do sand-dashing and rest on their shells to recover stamina. Another time, first time I encountered the door guardian totem, I thought they wanted me to lure it away, hit the crystal to make him inert away from the door, then I could proceed. But you just have to turn the past on to wake it up and fight it, it's a fine enemy but they weren't really doing anything by making me hit a switch to turn it on once.

It really is kinda hard to play this game after playing BOTW because that game gives you liberty to do anything and every puzzle has three or four different ways to solve them. Next time you’re lost don’t be afraid to ask Fi because she really does spoil absolutely every puzzle for you.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good news, when you return to Lanayru there are tons more puzzles that utilize the timeshift stones in creative ways.

It took me a few minutes after getting the Bow to realize they change it in this version so you don’t have to pull back with the left controller to ready the arrow. I’m guessing it’s because that would be impossible to replicate in button-only mode and it would be an unfair advantage to the people using motion controls. Tbh it makes the bow less fun when you can’t just instantly ready arrow and shoot them rapid fire.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't stuck on the third dungeon, it was better designed than the first two. I was just in vain hoping the solution was more than flip switch, plop thunderbaby in hole.

Best part of game so far to me, and I hope he returns in future games, is the friendly demon guy.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Khanstant posted:

Wasn't stuck on the third dungeon, it was better designed than the first two. I was just in vain hoping the solution was more than flip switch, plop thunderbaby in hole.

Best part of game so far to me, and I hope he returns in future games, is the friendly demon guy.

Ghirahim was in Hyrule Warriors and was just as ridiculous. Unfortunately the trade-off is that Fi is also a character in it and The Imprisoned is a boss enemy.

Edit: in case people care, Fi is pronounced like the Greek letter Phi and not like Fee.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good news, when you return to Lanayru there are tons more puzzles that utilize the timeshift stones in creative ways.

It took me a few minutes after getting the Bow to realize they change it in this version so you don’t have to pull back with the left controller to ready the arrow. I’m guessing it’s because that would be impossible to replicate in button-only mode and it would be an unfair advantage to the people using motion controls. Tbh it makes the bow less fun when you can’t just instantly ready arrow and shoot them rapid fire.

You can totally do the motion control for the bow to ready it instantly though. Press L and waggle backwards with the left joycon.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ghirahim was in Hyrule Warriors and was just as ridiculous. Unfortunately the trade-off is that Fi is also a character in it and The Imprisoned is a boss enemy.

Edit: in case people care, Fi is pronounced like the Greek letter Phi and not like Fee.

Wrong friendly demon guy. I think they mean Batreaux.

Also, that pronunciation guide is a bit funny if you pronounce Phi as fee.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

You can totally do the motion control for the bow to ready it instantly though. Press L and waggle backwards with the left joycon.

Does it say this in game somewhere? I didn’t realize I had to hit L and there aren’t like, control instructions in the game as far as I could see. Why aren’t you holding my hand, Nintendo :argh:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Just Andi Now posted:

It is pronounced like that in modern greek, isn't it? But yeah it's /faɪ/ not /fiː/

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just Andi Now posted:

Somehow missed the word “friendly.” Batreaux is… a character that exists. I actually like the side quests in the game, they’re fun for world building although one or two of them require you to go all over the loving world which is annoying as hell. Most of them are good and the rewards are good.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
It's pronounced as in "Wi-Fi", right? I thought that was the intent given her constant technobabble

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Raylax posted:

It's pronounced as in "Wi-Fi", right? I thought that was the intent given her constant technobabble

Yeah that’s a better example than the one I used. Idk if that’s the origin of her name but it works.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how you can be nice and get a couple together, or have a toilet ghost haunt Cawlin.

Either way Cawlin doesn’t get to be happy

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I always thought it was hilarious how, in the game that is by far the most explicit about Zelda being Link's love interest, you can have Link start dating the Item Check Girl instead (with Fi even confirming that Link is actually legit into her if you scan her afterwards)

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

bobjr posted:

I like how you can be nice and get a couple together, or have a toilet ghost haunt Cawlin.

I didn't do the toilet ghost path on my initial playthrough years ago because I just assumed it would play out like the similar quest in Majora's Mask, but I did it this time and the end of that path is so fuckin funny and grim. poor guy is doomed to be tortured in his dreams every night for the rest of his life but at least Link got his Gratitude Crystals

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Well sure. Does anyone say “wee-fee” when talking about their wireless LAN?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Loucks posted:

I saw 22 Jump Street and yes

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I saw 22 Jump Street and yes

Wild. Surely there’s some sort of fund for victims of that film. Seems like a class action gimmie.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had always assumed this was what it was.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TheLoneStar posted:

I had always assumed this was what it was.

IIRC it was even spelled Phi in the first reveals of SS.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

For those unfamiliar with the newspaper comic strip thread, there is a character in the (terrible) strip On the Fastrack that is named "Fi" and it is pronounced "fee" and that always confused me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Loucks posted:

I think the French do?

Anyway Cawlin and the toilet hand rules and comes totally out of left field. The game is funny and doesn’t take itself too seriously!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man I just sorta horrified myself by slaughtering a horse in BOTW expecting it to give me meat and it just rag dolls the corpse and it stays there on the ground.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bobjr posted:

Hahaha I didn't even think about harassing that nice young lady with the letter, I just wanted to help toilet hand.

Beedle is also in top form in this game, BotW muted him too much. Got really good "thank yous" and very powerful "ooohhhhhhh." He's cold-blooded too, straight trapdoor'd me out the shop once. Whatever dude, you ripped me off with this stinking heart medallion, that's why I can't buy nothing else.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Man I just sorta horrified myself by slaughtering a horse in BOTW expecting it to give me meat and it just rag dolls the corpse and it stays there on the ground.

You monster

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Loucks posted:

The French? I spent some time in France and they say "wee-fee." It just rolls off the tongue after awhile.

I refuse to pronounce Fi any way other than "Fee" however. If they wanted it to be pronounced with a long "i" they ought to have spelt it differently. :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Loucks posted:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think the French do?

I can imagine this, but only in the most outrageous Peter Sellers-esque accent

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Don't the Brits say whiffee

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only when talking about their wives

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Silver Falcon posted:

I refuse to pronounce Fi any way other than "Fee" however. If they wanted it to be pronounced with a long "i" they ought to have spelt it differently. :colbert:

Jack and the Beanstalk must be an interesting read for you because this would mean you say "fee fee foe fum" when you read the giant's dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, I just did not enjoy Lanayru Mining Facility. The first half was just full of that dumb quicksand, and the second half starts out neat with timestones, but mostly uses them in ways where you're just constantly slow-walking along with a mine cart. And god help you if you don't know where you're going, just endless slow loops around the same tracks. And as a final indignity, if you die to the final boss the checkpoint is yet another pointless timestone trek back to start it over again :sigh:

I think real life got in the way of this one, I've been stressed out and grumpy lately, and lack of gaming time meant it was broken up between three or four evenings, so I was constantly wandering around trying to remember what I was even doing. I just wasn't in the right headspace to enjoy it I guess.

At least it's immediately followed up by the start of Groose's turn from dumb bully to all-time great side character :unsmith: