Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I like how all parts of his name can be used as slang for penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've gotten hooked on Empyrion lately, and there's just something about sitting at the window of a space station you've built, watching the planet roll by below that's captivating. Likewise being down on the surface of the planet, seeing the nav point for your station crawl across the sky, knowing that you made that.

Also sometimes the game can make even the shittiest 10-minute build ships look good:

The physics may not be as involved as Space Engineers, but having a story, actual survival stuff to do and enemies other than infinitely spawning wolves/spiders is nice.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

ilmucche posted:

On the subject of realistic faces in games, max payne's face will always be a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABps2aoiqug&t=80s
1:20 if the timecode doesn't work

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

On the subject of realistic faces in games, max payne's face will always be a treasure.

The classic max skin in MP3 arcade mode was my favorite.

Wait, I think they had the Game Boy Advance Max as a skin, that one is my favorite.

E: yup.

https://youtu.be/mEwqF637hrc

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Playing Psychonauts for the first time in ages and loving it,already the dynamics between the kids at camp are just perfect.

Right from the off there’s funny love triangles,pervert kids spying on girls,bullies,and the smaller kid looking for friendship and protection from the bigger kid.

The voice acting is perfect,the graphics are gorgeous (outside of the FMV’s which are more blurry and stretched than in game graphics)

The exploration is fun,even just the small handful of items i’ve found all have well written dialogue whenever you use them on characters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The FMVs are old 480p Bink files that predate HDTVs :/

Almost every combination of NPC, item, and psychic power has unique dialog attached to it, and almost every figment is a unique piece of art. There was a tremendous amount of work and detail put into the game and I can't wait for the sequel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I miss bink

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The FMVs are old 480p Bink files that predate HDTVs :/

Almost every combination of NPC, item, and psychic power has unique dialog attached to it, and almost every figment is a unique piece of art. There was a tremendous amount of work and detail put into the game and I can't wait for the sequel.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/788690/Psychonauts_in_the_Rhombus_of_Ruin/

The sequel already came out :).

It's a pity it's a VR game, so most people will never play it. They even resolve the cliffhanger from the end of the first game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SimonChris posted:

It's a pity it's a VR game, so most people will never play it. They even resolve the cliffhanger from the end of the first game.

A larger sequel is coming next month, Psychonauts 2. I've watched a playthrough of the VR game so I'm caught up and really hyped for the full game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Final Fantasy III: Pixel Remaster

It took 31 years, but you can now quick-save when in dungeons.

Also a whole host of other conveniences.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If I recall correctly, Psychonauts 2 will start several hours after 1 ended, and the VR game takes place between the two.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SimonChris posted:

I did play the VR game, it's good :) But it's not really Psychonauts 2.

But yeah, it's a real shame most people won't ever experience it. Especially the opening credits.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Fall Guys added a team mode that addressed every issue I had the game.

You now get points based on where you finish and the team lives or dies together. No longer does one person in a group get eliminated early and can do nothing but watch their friends play.

It also cuts out the team games like egg hunt which I never enjoyed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finally started playing Hellblade and at the start Senua turns around and looks right at the screen and narrator goes "oops, she spotted us.." The player is just another part of her psychosis.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just picked up the Streets of Rage 4 DLC, which is fantastic.

First of all it gives you access to 3 chracters that were not playable in the standard game: Max the wrestler and Shiva, the former Number 2 to Mr. X, but now in their SOR4 glory, and Estelle, series newcomer, and badass SWAT woman. They were suspiciously absent from the original release, but I'm not going to be too upset over having to pay a few bucks to play as them. They are all absolute beasts.

But there's a poo poo ton more to the DLC than that. Outside of the new playable characters there is a very in depth training mode which will walk you through everyday basics to special specific combos for every playable (SOR4) character. It's deep for what would be just a pretty standard brawler, but drat if it aint polished to a fine shine.

But for me the biggest draw is the survival mode. You and a friend (friends?), one life bar, how long can you last in either a completely randomized or a rotating preset of increasingly difficult stages against sets of badguys/bosses. As you progress through the stages, you unlock different bad guys to play against in customizable training modes,, which is also pretty cool as you can end up fighting more generic/weaker versions of end game bosses.

The coolest part for me is that as you progress and increase your score, you start to unlock alternate moves for all the characters. Every character (and there are something like 15 playable characters) have 5 moves: A dash, standing super, moving super, jumping super and ultra. Everyone except for the SOR1 characters can unlock a new version of these moves and they behave differently than the originals. The SOR1 characters keep their iconic ultra (Cop with napalm) but can unlock a different one.

But that's not my favorite thing. Back in SOR3, you could unlock a secret character, Roo, who was a literal boxing kangaroo that you could play as. The way you unlocked him back then was to beat up the guy with a whip that was controlling him. If you killed whip guy before Roo, then Roo was unlocked. He was not unlockable in SOR4 by earning points like other characters, but can be unlocked with a secret code.

Now in SOR4, Roo's Ultra is to call in the guy with the whip and he fights along side you for the remainder of the level.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I've played Psychonauts many times over the years but never noticed the skybox has a smiley sun (and if you look closely the company logo in some places)

and the asylum has this horrifying set of faces in the night sky

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuga Melodies of Steel is the latest game in the Tail Concerto/Solatorobo/etc long running series. It's basically a long grim game about a group of NotFrench children who end up in a supertank fighting NotGermans. It's got an RPG combat system which is surprisingly fun, but what I really love is how it handles Status Effects.

Any attack that has a Status Effect will show a percentage change of causing that status effect when you target an enemy with it. Many enemies are vulnerable to various effects which makes them incredibly useful and you know just how viable it is to attack an enemy with one, since a 70% chance at a stun is far different from a 10% chance at a stun. In addition even if enemies are immune to status effects if you have someone who can inflict Bad Luck on them (or use an item that does) it can render enemies who are immune vulnerable. This applies all the way to the final boss who can be hit with various status effects reliably.

It's such a simple idea but it works really well .

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SimonChris posted:

I'm honestly upset about that. Been waited for ages for that cliffhanger to get resolved and it happens in a drat VR game. :argh:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Fuga Melodies of Steel is the latest game in the Tail Concerto/Solatorobo/etc long running series. It's basically a long grim game about a group of NotFrench children who end up in a supertank fighting NotGermans. It's got an RPG combat system which is surprisingly fun, but what I really love is how it handles Status Effects.

Any attack that has a Status Effect will show a percentage change of causing that status effect when you target an enemy with it. Many enemies are vulnerable to various effects which makes them incredibly useful and you know just how viable it is to attack an enemy with one, since a 70% chance at a stun is far different from a 10% chance at a stun. In addition even if enemies are immune to status effects if you have someone who can inflict Bad Luck on them (or use an item that does) it can render enemies who are immune vulnerable. This applies all the way to the final boss who can be hit with various status effects reliably.

It's such a simple idea but it works really well .

I'm honestly loving this game.

It's one of the few turn based games where the "Defend" command is extremely useful.
You are using three guns, but only one tank so while you control three characters you only have one life bar so you can defend while still having the other two guns blazing.
Add to that HP is a resource that needs to be managed over the course of a chapter, which means reducing incoming damage is sometimes more important than dealing all the damage you can.

Seriously, I love how Fuga strongly encourages you to use all of its' mechanics in order to avoid using the games show piece mechanic.
Namely using the souls of children as ammo in your war against the forces of furry facism.

Also your tank picks up items by driving over the crate like a God damned monster truck, that's rad as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I'm honestly loving this game.

It's one of the few turn based games where the "Defend" command is extremely useful.
You are using three guns, but only one tank so while you control three characters you only have one life bar so you can defend while still having the other two guns blazing.
Add to that HP is a resource that needs to be managed over the course of a chapter, which means reducing incoming damage is sometimes more important than dealing all the damage you can.

Seriously, I love how Fuga strongly encourages you to use all of its' mechanics in order to avoid using the games show piece mechanic.
Namely using the souls of children as ammo in your war against the forces of furry facism.

Also your tank picks up items by driving over the crate like a God damned monster truck, that's rad as hell.

A neat thing about HP is that it also isn't an all or nothing. While you die when you hit 0 HP, being low on HP has a negative effect on your characters and can lead to them panicked, getting depressed or getting injured. The first goes away in a few rounds but the latter two are permanent until you get to your next rest stop (and even then you have to spend 5 of your time units to get them fixed) so you're encouraged to think about your HP more than just "Full or 0."

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A neat thing about HP is that it also isn't an all or nothing. While you die when you hit 0 HP, being low on HP has a negative effect on your characters and can lead to them panicked, getting depressed or getting injured. The first goes away in a few rounds but the latter two are permanent until you get to your next rest stop (and even then you have to spend 5 of your time units to get them fixed) so you're encouraged to think about your HP more than just "Full or 0."

And on top of that the game tosses in abilities that get stronger the more damage the tank has taken, so you're not only risking a game over but having to spend the few time units you get on taking care of the kids rather than much needed upgrades.

I'm only part way through chapter 4, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised at just how engaging the combat is, I'm constantly swapping characters in order to make sure I'm using the right abilities and weapons, and it's just difficult enough that I'll run into an enemy group that is bound and determined to punch above their weight class.

And yeah, I do like how the kids panicking and getting depressed does a good job driving home the fact the tank crew isn't made up of hardened space marines but literal children.

Even if I manage to go the whole game without having to rely on the soul cannon I'm guessing the story isn't going to be a pleasant one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
*me coming across the slightest inconvenience*

"Aw gently caress. Well, toss another kid into the gun furnace."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Well, toss another kid into the gun furnace.

It's a shame the current thread title is so good

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So are you permanently short one character each time you fire the main gun?
(Insert that PBF comic here)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Defend mechanic I think is usually a problem when there's basically no mechanics that actually intersect with it, on top of it being poorly explained if at all and there seems no point in defending when you can use the turn to attack, heal or buff instead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Unless the game has some form of aggro management tools.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Defend mechanic I think is usually a problem when there's basically no mechanics that actually intersect with it, on top of it being poorly explained if at all and there seems no point in defending when you can use the turn to attack, heal or buff instead.

Dragon Ball Z: Goku Densetsu actually makes defensive play pretty viable, because if you have a bunch of crap cards with decent defense ratings comboing them where you can until better cards are shuffled in is a viable strategy. Sometimes you get cards that have all the numbers be crap, or conversely a counter card with a number so high it renders it dangerous to play, and so can't really do that but a lot of the time there is SOMETHING that you can do, even if it's just defending through a bad hand.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star renegades did it well, since the defend action usually went early, and crits were if and only if a character was hit before they took their turn. So in addition to buffing defense, a character could pull a bunch of aggro and then defend and prevent the enemies from getting any crits at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Guilty Gear Strive's first DLC character has several 'won round' lines where he checks his watch and comments on the time elapsed, down to the second.

I dunno why they recorded a line specifically for when he wins in exactly 36 seconds, but they did it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

So are you permanently short one character each time you fire the main gun?
(Insert that PBF comic here)

Yes. Using the Soul Cannon kills the person you use and permanently removes them from the party.

I couldn't bring myself to use it but I can imagine it gets pretty fuckin' dark if you nuke the main character's kid sister or one of the pair of siblings.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Jul 30, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Look I'm sorry I blasted your baby brother into the side of that tank but it was that or get a low score on this mission and oh ho ho mama didn't raise no underachiever.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The flight arc of those games is pretty amusing in retrospect, basically goes from a fun little platformer type game with some horror at the end to one where the MC is almost used as a sacrifice to keep a world destroying mecha locked down and then it’s revealed that the floating land they live on is the remains of Earth and now we have Ideon In World War 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaster Master is such a strange franchise. Originally it was a Japanese game called Metafight and then they completely changed the plot when they localized it. And then they released a random tie-in novel as part of the Worlds of Power series. And then Blaster Master Zero comes along and by Blaster Master Zero 3 you're running into the protagonist of Metafight who confirms that both Metafight AND Blaster Master AND all the random no-name Blaster Master sequels are also canon. So it's a bizarre canon that depends entirely on a random for-kids tie in novel that was released in the 90s. An English tie-in novel despite the fact that the bulk of the games were made in Japan.

I just love that is a thing. That this sprawling bizarre complex ouroboros of plot only really makes sense if you are aware of both the Japanese and English plotlines of the same game.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Jul 31, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think I read that tie-in novel despite never playing the game.

I also read the Super Mario Bros movie novelisation.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think I read that tie-in novel despite never playing the game.

I also read the Super Mario Bros movie novelisation.

I used to own the Megaman 2 novelization and it starts with Megaman being turned human. poo poo was weird, yo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The fact the different gadgets built in to the protagonist's arm in the Worlds of Power novelization of Bionic Commando are activated by pressing different fingernails as buttons lives rent free in my head

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ImpAtom posted:

Blaster Master is such a strange franchise. Originally it was a Japanese game called Metafight and then they completely changed the plot when they localized it. And then they released a random tie-in novel as part of the Worlds of Power series. And then Blaster Master Zero comes along and by Blaster Master Zero 3 you're running into the protagonist of Metafight who confirms that both Metafight AND Blaster Master AND all the random no-name Blaster Master sequels are also canon. So it's a bizarre canon that depends entirely on a random for-kids tie in novel that was released in the 90s. An English tie-in novel despite the fact that the bulk of the games were made in Japan.

I just love that is a thing. That this sprawling bizarre complex ouroboros of plot only really makes sense if you are aware of both the Japanese and English plotlines of the same game.

Not a game, but I remained tickled that the SSSS in SSSS Gridman stands for Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad because it incorporates that old localized version into its canon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I picked up Fuga last night after reading about it in this thread.

It’s real good so far y’all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Also if you’re playing it you had better change your voice setting from Japanese to French for maximum immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vandar posted:

Also if you’re playing it you had better change your voice setting from Japanese to French for maximum immersion.

oh thank god that’s an option, solarorobo’s French-pidgin voice clips were one of the most charming things about it