Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Play posted:

Don't people call those diablo like games ARPGs (I assume that is action RPGs)?

Its an older term like Cowcaster said. I'm just laughing at how frequently useless genre descriptors are for games because they end up being so contextual and personal or slopped around as marketing terms.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ragequit posted:

This generally isn’t a genre of game I play but I dig the premise and art. Definitely adding to the followed list. Or is wishlist better from a dev perspective?

iirc wishlist count is what determines whether a game gets placed in any of Steam's little front-page lists on the store besides 'recently released'.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mr Underhill posted:

Humbly announcing the game we've been working on in semi-secrecy for the past year and a half. If it looks like something you'd be into, wishlists are super-appreciated ☺

It's called Near-Mage and it's about studying magick in Transylvania 🧛‍♀️

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1685870/NearMage/

I'm not into talk-n-plot games but I wishlisted to be helpful! Everybody should because it makes a big difference

Also wishlisted the Rome games, we'll see. I just want to walk around the city of Rome and press X to climb, A to interact, Y to punch. I guess the character would have to be a thief or escaped slave to give them someone to fight. Isn't it downright odd that no one's made a game like this?

Asscreed: never played them. drat, do they make one of these every year? I assume it's like historical sleeping dogs plus dishonored? What I've heard about the series is that unfortunately the good ones are old, and even the good ones are middling. Given the general state of low standards, low expectations in video games I'm not inclined to buy something with that rep.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Mescal posted:

Asscreed: never played them. drat, do they make one of these every year? I assume it's like historical sleeping dogs plus dishonored? What I've heard about the series is that unfortunately the good ones are old, and even the good ones are middling. Given the general state of low standards, low expectations in video games I'm not inclined to buy something with that rep.
There's a lot of them and some are turkeys, but the good ones are very good, and the egypt/greece ones are in the good column.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

New install and my controller guide button isn't activating the overlay in Big Picture

I've already disabled the xbox gamebar in windows and the guide button does launch steam/big picture, but not the overlay

Anyone know where the setting for this is located? Some cursory googling turned up other people with the same problem but no resolution

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently asscreed: brotherhood was set in rome. all those games sort of blur together for me, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently asscreed: brotherhood was set in rome. all those games sort of blur together for me, though.

Renaissance Rome though, not Ancient Rome

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Longer gameplay video from the cat game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R-splyERsI

It is ADORABLE

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This thread is great for pointing me toward great games.

That's all I have really, just wanted to say so, thanks for postin'

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eason the Fifth posted:

This thread is great for pointing me toward great games.

That's all I have really, just wanted to say so, thanks for postin'

That's what we are here for, friend. Do mention if you find other great games in your journeys.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serephina posted:

Yea the game itself might imply that it has a very long tail (with those town trinkets lol) but really it doesn't, it's a fun little weird take on several vogue mechanics that can be enjoyed and digested. I put 40 hours into it which is a lot of such a simple premise, and I'd still recommend it to anyone who felt the demo (or two hour ""demo"") was interesting.

bangin tunes too, which I'll always happily call out in a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnxWqYzF1E

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone put any time in with the Ascent yet? I'm going to play with a friend on gamepass but apparently co-op is bugged on that version right now. I love the look of the game but I'm not really sure what to expect from it. I played for a few minutes and it seems to lean more towards the shooter part than the RPG part which I'm all for.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

Anyone put any time in with the Ascent yet? I'm going to play with a friend on gamepass but apparently co-op is bugged on that version right now. I love the look of the game but I'm not really sure what to expect from it. I played for a few minutes and it seems to lean more towards the shooter part than the RPG part which I'm all for.

I played solo on the game pass version for a few hours today and I love it. The dense visuals are awesome, sound is awesome, it is awesome. I didn’t know coop was bugged on gamepass, that sucks. Was going to talk a buddy into playing it tomorrow.

Also, on my gamepass version I don’t have DLSS settings at all and ray tracing doesn’t appear to work.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 30, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

I played solo on the game pass version for a few hours today and I love it. The dense visuals are awesome, sound is awesome, it is awesome. I didn’t know coop was bugged on gamepass, that sucks. Was going to talk a buddy into playing it tomorrow.

Also, on my gamepass version I don’t have DLSS settings at all and ray tracing doesn’t appear to work.

I read they are still working out some DirectX 12 bugs and once that is fixed the ray tracing and DLSS should work

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
So I got a start on Fuga: Melody of Steel, which is anime cats in giant tanks fighting WWII basically and so far I am really enjoying it. The art and presentation is great, which is always a big deal for me. The voice acting is in Japanese but is very good, which is why I was a little disappointed to find that most of the lines are not fully voiced.

Main gameplay is just continuing linearly through levels having JRPG-style fights, picking up health and powerups, etc. Characters are arranged with their weapons in slots on the tank to best take advantage of the particular situation and enemy, and there is some upgrading of the tank as well as affinity levels between the characters which unlocks options in battle. So far the battles seem quite strategic and interesting. I'm usually not a huge fan of the JRPG formula so that may fade with time but to this point I've been very engaged in the battles.

There are also intermission segments where you can raise affinity between characters, upgrade stuff, and engage in certain activities to help your cause. Plus a main overworld path you move along on and can visit towns and villages along the way to buy stuff and talk to people.

It's very serious and dramatic anime style, but personally I like the tone and general feel. Again, shame it isn't fully voiced. It does look to have a pretty extensive story, as well as an antifascist message which appeals to me. There is some kind of mechanism for moving back in time when you're destroyed, giving it some roguelike elements, but it's still handcrafted in all respects I believe. I haven't really seen how that goes yet since that only happened once in the tutorial.

As for the child-sacrificing soul cannon, you both can and cannot get by without using it. Basically, you will use have to use it at least once without question. And it does feel kinda heavy.

explosivo posted:

Gonna try that next. Man a whole bunch of cool and interesting games came out today/this week.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Veib posted:

Are there any other immersive sims besides Ultima Underworld where you can go down a toilet to enter the floor below

Cruelty Squad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't tell if the Horizon Zero Dawn story is going to be explained in the main story adequately or if I'm expected to be reading the hundreds of scattered data points somewhere in the overworld. 30 hours in, have gone all over the map and I've found like 10 total. Just a massive wall of empty spots in the menu screen for missing collectibles.

Sort of tracks with the whole game seeming to lack focus. Spend hundreds of hours on hidden story/lore content, then don't include any way for the player to find it besides stopping and slow walking around in detective mode to try and spot a tiny lit up icon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh you'll learn the story, and you'll learn just how much tech bros suck

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I can't tell if the Horizon Zero Dawn story is going to be explained in the main story adequately or if I'm expected to be reading the hundreds of scattered data points somewhere in the overworld. 30 hours in, have gone all over the map and I've found like 10 total. Just a massive wall of empty spots in the menu screen for missing collectibles.

Sort of tracks with the whole game seeming to lack focus. Spend hundreds of hours on hidden story/lore content, then don't include any way for the player to find it besides stopping and slow walking around in detective mode to try and spot a tiny lit up icon.

It is explained adequately in the main story

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I got a real big Assassin's Creed vibe from this game, so getting a decent story out of it is pretty low on my expectation.

The vantage points are pretty cool, but literally 1 line of voice dialogue and then a short story to read. I might try and hunt down the audio and holo datapoints because there's less of them but finding the tiny little ipods for the world text data points is nigh impossible. I finally realized that weird box edge on the radar is a datapoint but 1/2 the time I can't find it its location after minutes of searching around.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mescal posted:

Are there any good ancient Rome games? Maybe something in the vein of Middle Earth: Arkham City?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/

No clue if it's actually good though!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

awesmoe posted:

It is explained adequately in the main story

Just please, take it from me, if you are looking for guides to find crafting items (Like, say pigeon bones or whatever), PLEASE

Do not look up any animals on the Horizon Zero Dawn Wikia

I am still bitter about getting a major spoiler in a page about birds, of all things

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Just please, take it from me, if you are looking for guides to find crafting items (Like, say pigeon bones or whatever), PLEASE

Do not look up any animals on the Horizon Zero Dawn Wikia

I am still bitter about getting a major spoiler in a page about birds, of all things

Reminds me of when I was trying to find where an item was in Xenoblade Chronicles X where the wiki description, in the opening paragraph, just outright states "this location is where <gigantic spoiler>"

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Albinator posted:

There's a lot of them and some are turkeys, but the good ones are very good, and the egypt/greece ones are in the good column.

I've never played any of the asscreeds, is the first one decent or should I be starting elsewhere

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

the datapoints are exclusively flavor text about the old world (spoiler alert, it was a hypercapitalist nightmare) and it's ridiculous that they don't come with any kind of marker, you're better off wiki-walking after you finish the game if you want to read them

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hawkperson posted:

I've never played any of the asscreeds, is the first one decent or should I be starting elsewhere

The first one is extremely skippable; it was a really repetitive game with a few interesting ideas when it came out, and age has not improved it. If you want to go back, start with 2, that's the first in the Ezio trilogy. Otherwise, 4 is probably the best of the old style.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

The newer ones are very long games, so I definitely wouldn't plan on doing an exhaustive playthrough of the series. IMO Origins or Odyssey would be fine to start with. You'll be a little lost with some of the modern day poo poo, but the modern day poo poo sucks anyway and even having played a lot of the other games I barely remember/care what's going on with that stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The 7th Guest posted:

Stray: Early 2022 - This is the cyberpunk game where you are a cat and solve puzzles as cat, and explore as cat.

Oh awesome, I don't think I saw anything about it at this year's E3 so I assumed that it was a year or more away from release.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Play posted:

So I got a start on Fuga: Melody of Steel, which is anime cats in giant tanks fighting WWII basically and so far I am really enjoying it. The art and presentation is great, which is always a big deal for me.
Has the cutest stahlhelms.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The 7th Guest posted:

Hey y'all, I'm about to make a big infodump on upcoming games as I tend to do these days. It's nearly August, and August has a LOT on deck. I am not joking when I say this month is packed, wall to wall.

These posts own and please never stop making them.

I put hours into the City of Gangsters demo and it was pretty fun. Promising in what it explored. I ran into a bug where I lost a game because I was constantly attacked over and over by enemies turn after turn without being able to defend myself because a cop was on the same space (they were not bribed or anything, the game just allowed AI to attack but blocked the player from doing the same), so I hope they fix that, but otherwise it seemed like a neat city-exploring gang-building turf-warring game. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out because I'm jonesing for a sloweer-paced empire builder.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
E: I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to quote, please ignore me.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

pentyne posted:

I got a real big Assassin's Creed vibe from this game, so getting a decent story out of it is pretty low on my expectation.

The vantage points are pretty cool, but literally 1 line of voice dialogue and then a short story to read. I might try and hunt down the audio and holo datapoints because there's less of them but finding the tiny little ipods for the world text data points is nigh impossible. I finally realized that weird box edge on the radar is a datapoint but 1/2 the time I can't find it its location after minutes of searching around.

Other than the flavor data points and the audio/holo logs every other collectible is highlighted on the main map once you buy the 4 maps from any vendor. The audio/holo logs are scattered along the critical path so you'll get all of them while playing the main quest line.

Flavor data points are best read on the wiki after you finish the game as someone said.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I bought The Ascent and I really, really don't like it. I think I expected it to be more ARPG-like but it feels - at least in the early game - much more tactical.

I played more than 2 hours so I can't refund it and regret that I let it drag on past that point before deciding it wasn't getting more enjoyable. I don't know if it makes a difference but I was playing with a controller.

There's issues as well that I'm surprised didn't come up in any of the reviews, but probably the biggest for me is that it leans heavily into cover-shooter mechanics while also spawning enemies in behind you constantly. That's annoying on its own but it's a flawless combo with one of the trash enemy types having pinpoint accuracy and enormous range, where even on an ultrawide monitor they can snipe at you from off-screen and give you no time to react. I felt like a lot of the fights were trial-and error and wanted me to memorize which enemy types are where (and which will spawn behind me and when), and the lack of any penalty for dying seems to back that up.

It's also pretty rough around the edges with weirdness like the regular mini-cutscenes making you stand up from behind cover and opening you to being sniped, and that you can stagger moving enemies by shooting them but can't interrupt an enemy that is winding up to fire at you. The camera isn't always friendly, some of the sidequests take you to locations well above your level or to locked doors I assume are for later in the game (or that open when you hack them but still can't be entered), and it interchanges automatically picking up health drops and holding a button to pick up other types of health drops - fine on its own, but holding that button also equips weapons on the ground so it's easy to accidentally swap your rifle for a level 1 pistol without noticing.

I'll give it a few patches and see if my main barriers to enjoyment are tweaked, but I think it just might not be the right game for me.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 30, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Currently playing Far Cry: New Dawn, and really liking it. Does Far Cry 4 play in a similar vein, or is this an improvement? Not really interested in the full Far Cry 5 experience, but Himalayas looks interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

4 is the best Far Cry in my opinion.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not familiar with everything that New Dawn tweaks, but generally every Far Cry from 3 and up plays roughly the same. Assuming you're not married to firearms, I'd actually recommend Primal over 4.

Primal is also good, if you want a change from guns.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 30, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm not familiar with everything that New Dawn tweaks, but generally every Far Cry from 3 and up plays roughly the same. Assuming you're not married to firearms, I'd actually recommend Primal over 4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New Dawn adds a fort reset mechanic into the game, gives you some novel stuff like a buzzsaw gun and boar companion, and halfway through you get Crysis powers. It's very dumb but unlike FC5 it doesn't take itself too seriously. And it's much shorter.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

busalover posted:

Currently playing Far Cry: New Dawn, and really liking it. Does Far Cry 4 play in a similar vein, or is this an improvement? Not really interested in the full Far Cry 5 experience, but Himalayas looks interesting.

4 and 5/New Dawn (and 3, for that matter) play so similarly that a year after beating 5 I went back to try 4 and got immediately bored with the gameplay because I didn't want the experience again. If you're looking for more of the same, you'll dig 4. And the villain in 4 is pretty lol and far better than any of the goobers in 5 (but no Vaas from 3).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Gripper posted:

I'll give it a few patches and see if my main barriers to enjoyment are tweaked, but I think it just might not be the right game for me.

I seriously only played for like 10 minutes yesterday because I'm waiting to try it with a friend on Gamepass whenever they unfuck the co-op and I thought the whole "don't aim to shoot waist high enemies" thing was kinda weird and annoying? It seems pretty janky but that makes it sorta perfect for gamepass so hopefully playing with a friend can mitigate some of the weirdness you mentioned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SkateBIRD's been delayed to September 16th, but on the flip side they announced it will be on gamepass

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 30, 2021