Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

It's hard to tell from a satirical article, but is the hearing genuinely about government employees sharing tweets critical of the government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SpacePig posted:

It's hard to tell from a satirical article, but is the hearing genuinely about government employees sharing tweets critical of the government?

Sure is!

To be clear I don't believe it's anything that will be taken seriously, just one senator bringing it up as a thing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So the ABC is a public broadcaster that is funded by the Australian taxpayer; the LNP (Liberal National Party) has always banged on about it being a biased leftist organisation because they report on what the LNP does and, shock of shocks, it turns out that reporting on corruption and the poo poo that the LNP does isn't great for them because reality has a leftist bias. The ABC reported that the former attorney general allegedly raped someone and he turned around and sued the ABC for libel. That was recently withdrawn and Ben was mocking the AG for accomplishing nothing except for making himself look like a dickhead and costing the Australian taxpayer 680k.

It's just more culture war bullshit from our right wing government who have been itching to privatise or strip away all funding from the ABC for literally loving decades.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Last week they did a (non-streamed) podcast session, but this week they're back to their usual twitch stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1057845572?filter=all&sort=time

https://twitter.com/alex_c_lee/status/1405107482972758017

Poor Dave is still completely tuckered out from having a fulltime-ish job I think, so this time it's Edan DMing again (No word yet as to how many cats they'll be fighting this time.) and trying to manage Hing, Alex, Tom, and Simon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dave is also handling tech it seems like, so you can watch him scream helplessly in the chat as Edan lets the players take things off the rails

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Well, I can understand Dave being terrified at the thought of a lvl 2-3 adventure just getting chucked off the rails by an errant D IN THE B, from 'fun uncle dm' Edan.

I honestly really like the Dip in the Bag thing when it comes up.
The players are super excited, and DnD has so many basic/superniche magical items that it's rare that something absurd gets pulled.

It's a very fun anti-balance/chaos thing. Especially when you get stuff like the Book of Vecna or whatever it was that Freezo got, which potentially would have pushed him onto a different build entirely if he'd managed to use it before they ended up trading it away.
Zephyr and Drongo both got some ridiculous wonderous items. (And I think Drongo's one could actually take down the entire agency, with how strong it is.) While Goodboy and Deathlich got some neat, useful but not insane equipment out of it.
e: Rockforte and Vinegar also got some neat stuff.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 19, 2021

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Dave and Edan did a watchalong of Alex's new show last night on twitch, but after the hour mark they got to talking about their problems with Gribbits Detective Agency season 1 and plans for season 2. They didn't realize how hard it would be to have different characters every stream, so in season 2 they will be trying to have 3 week (6 hour) long one shots with the same players in between podcast records, with Dave DMing every other one. They also get Alex and Simon on zoom and talk a bit about how fast comedy is evolving and how some of the earlier seasons feel like punching down in spots. It's interesting behind the scenes chat if you're into that.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1064956275?filter=archives&sort=time

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I very much agree with them that they'll be able to lean on actual cases a lot more with 3 consecutive weeks, giving time for introductions, faffing off, and trying to wrap it up.
Especially when other DMs have to step in, when there's only 2 hours or so to get into the groove, do something, and wrap it up you end up with very little forwards motion.

It's very good that they're willing to experiment with the format and change it for the better. And I look forwards to season 2 of it with the new structure, when that rolls out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Psychepath posted:

Dave and Edan did a watchalong of Alex's new show last night on twitch, but after the hour mark they got to talking about their problems with Gribbits Detective Agency season 1 and plans for season 2. They didn't realize how hard it would be to have different characters every stream, so in season 2 they will be trying to have 3 week (6 hour) long one shots with the same players in between podcast records, with Dave DMing every other one. They also get Alex and Simon on zoom and talk a bit about how fast comedy is evolving and how some of the earlier seasons feel like punching down in spots. It's interesting behind the scenes chat if you're into that.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1064956275?filter=archives&sort=time

Thanks for the writeup, i wasn't sure whether i wanted to bother with that vod, since a vod of a livewatch of a show that i'm not going to watch (sorry alex) didn't sound super compelling. I might check out the back half of it though, i enjoy behind the scenes talk

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The podcast started up again (a week ago) and I just got around to starting it up and my god what a strong start. (s7e7)
They're really getting used to this time travel bullshit and I can't wait to see where it goes.

I say started up again since it's almost 2 months since s7e6.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also, more Gribbits.
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1072175550

Demi dms, with time to prepare and everything.
So far it's pretty great, though it's a shame it all is remote with the latency involved.
After this we get a 3 week break, then it returns with the 3 session pod structure.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Demi did an amazing job; she seemed to be a bit self conscious at times but there was no need, she nailed it. At least the creative aspect of it, the important part; she occasionally needed a little help with the crunchier mechanical bits but honestly who cares about that really

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

SubNat posted:

Also, more Gribbits.
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1072175550

Demi dms, with time to prepare and everything.
So far it's pretty great, though it's a shame it all is remote with the latency involved.
After this we get a 3 week break, then it returns with the 3 session pod structure.

Oddly enough, this felt like a trial for next season: you've got these characters, write a short story for them that's disconnected from the overall narrative. And Demi's so good that Dave is visibly excited for her and it's wholesome in a way DF often tries not to be.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It took a while before I could listen to it but when I saw Gabrus was going to be a guest on free to a good home I did a double take never thought I would see that crossover and damned if it wasn’t really good, Gabrus is so flipping good on whatever podcast he goes on

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Ainsley McTree posted:

Demi did an amazing job; she seemed to be a bit self conscious at times but there was no need, she nailed it. At least the creative aspect of it, the important part; she occasionally needed a little help with the crunchier mechanical bits but honestly who cares about that really

yep it was great, Demi's 'happy body horror' is amazing for tone and creepiness.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yep it was great, Demi's 'happy body horror' is amazing for tone and creepiness.

Simon's the perfect person to illustrate it, too. I still think about those smiling infernal turtles from beef babes sometimes

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Watched Demi’s special while home sick yesterday and can confirm it has a perfect fever dream quality.

Also had a laugh at this season’s Vinegar Pimms subplot where Dave effectively bullied himself into destroying his only weapons piece by piece. (The 5e thread in tradgames is currently arguing the merit of critfails in dnd, but who comes to Dragon Friends for rules, right?)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Edan did a really chill cooking stream today that was really nice to watch

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Now, I guess GDA will be starting it's second season tomorrow? It's been a 3-week pause now after all.

Apart from that though, I've be re-listening through the podcast, and I'm wrapping up Season 4. (The space/planeswalker one.)
And it still amazes me just how competent Freezo is when he isn't controlled by Hing / is offscreen.

The period from them arriving in the 9-known-worlds to hitting the memory wipe and starting the season cold open is just a couple months.
And in that period he managed to make himself immortal and dethroned a god. (Granted, it could also have been an off-screen dip-in-the-bag that kicked it all off, much like what happened over in Beef Babes.)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Nah, the australia lockdown is delaying it.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Tom Cardy continues to be a menace to the youtube algorithm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHl9bxVT58

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah Sydney is locked down until at least the end of August, so who knows how long it'll be delayed. They can obviously do it remotely but it depends on if they want to.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Psychepath posted:

Tom Cardy continues to be a menace to the youtube algorithm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHl9bxVT58

This is great, glad the dude's been killing it so much lately. I've been sending H.Y.C.Y.BH to all my friends since it dropped. I think about it at least once a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The lack of Dragon Friends has been a trying time indeed but at least the solo streams and Cardy's youtube channel are tiding me over

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Insurrectionist posted:

The lack of Dragon Friends has been a trying time indeed but at least the solo streams and Cardy's youtube channel are tiding me over

If you haven't started listening to Free To A Good Home, it's given me my regular dose of Dragon Friends insanity as of late.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They're also still producing podcast episodes at the normal rate, they're just recording them remotely again while they're in lockdown

Ben recorded the most recent one from his car, it's great fun, everyone's doing great

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tom Cardy also released an EP:

https://tomcardy.bandcamp.com/releases

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Twitch stuff is slowly returning now. (though they have been doing weekly simon or edan streams so far.)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1142498717?filter=all&sort=time

Hing hosted a 'letters and numbers' game last week (apparently the same as Countdown, the UK panel show.), and there'll be something similar this week.
And then next week we're getting the second season of GribbitsDA starting up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's so so good that Hing is becoming progressively more successful as a national TV/radio presenter type despite being truly the biggest freak out of them all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

it's so so good that Hing is becoming progressively more successful as a national TV/radio presenter type despite being truly the biggest freak out of them all

On a recent FTAGH episode he revealed (possibly without permission? unclear, but they didn't edit it out of the episode and at this point they've had plenty of time to do so so i feel permitted to repeat it) that the triple J bosses sat him and his cohost down and told them that in the event of a national emergency, his show will be the last to be taken off the air lol

(hing's read of this is that it's because their show is the cheapest)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/tomwalkerisgood/status/1437992745520418817?s=20

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

GDA is up and running again now: (There was also another letters and numbers/countdown stream last week.)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1155860180?filter=all&sort=time

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1440596854517866502

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

On a recent FTAGH episode he revealed (possibly without permission? unclear, but they didn't edit it out of the episode and at this point they've had plenty of time to do so so i feel permitted to repeat it) that the triple J bosses sat him and his cohost down and told them that in the event of a national emergency, his show will be the last to be taken off the air lol

(hing's read of this is that it's because their show is the cheapest)

For objective context, Hing's radio show is essentially the most absolute primetime Triple J radio show, it's the after school/driving home from work slot. Possibly the only more prestigious timeslot is the breakfast one.

They presented the top 10 of the hottest 100, which I remember him mentioning at the time as a bizarre dream and yeah it basically means they're the face of Triple J right now. He is doing very well for himself.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I'm still marathoning through the back catalogue but just saw this and immediately thought of the Dragon Friends:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Daduzi posted:

I'm still marathoning through the back catalogue but just saw this and immediately thought of the Dragon Friends:

uncanny

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Daduzi posted:

Jesus

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Organza Quiz posted:

For objective context, Hing's radio show is essentially the most absolute primetime Triple J radio show, it's the after school/driving home from work slot. Possibly the only more prestigious timeslot is the breakfast one.

They presented the top 10 of the hottest 100, which I remember him mentioning at the time as a bizarre dream and yeah it basically means they're the face of Triple J right now. He is doing very well for himself.

That's the show where he had to stop himself making multiple 9/11 jokes on, right? It's v. Hing to get very well earned success and have to fight his brain instinctively trying to wreck it by mentioning 9/11 on a pop music countdown.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

eke out posted:

I’ve been going through old episodes of FTAGH and Hing’s stories about his family are so out there sometimes that I think he really deserves props for being as normal as he is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve been going through old episodes of FTAGH and Hing’s stories about his family are so out there sometimes that I think he really deserves props for being as normal as he is.

one of my favorite running jokes is him telling an insane family story, saying 'so it's a wonder I'm not that insane' and instantly getting 'well...no, you are' and having to go 'right but I'm not THAT far insane'.

Michael Hing: Somehow not the most insane Hing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

They have a segment on the radio show called "That's Unrelatable!" where Hing tells a story from his life that he thought was normal and they try to get ANYONE to ring in and say they've had the same experience.

Recently they've been getting people to call in for ideas on what Hing should do with the 70,000 paper coffee cups currently sitting in his (parents') house.