Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I want you to wear this bolo tie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW rolling out the diamond studded red carpet for CM Punk is such a wild thing in 2021. I'm still trying to figure out why they're being so coy about it. Because its not because WWE has any ownership over of Punk's likeness or naming. And presales for the show started today.

Like I figured Tony would roll up and be like ok 2nd Rampage show, Chicago aaaaaaaand CM Punk returns to wrestling. But instead it took the crowd a few moments to piece it together.

It'd be such a bonehead move for them to be like ok chicago, are you ready for.......JOHNNY CURTIS. Or those 20 other NXT washouts that are gonna be shitcanned because loser Hunter continues his tour of humiliation.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
some one should turn the video of Malaki Black booting Cody in the face to the Eric Andre Be Right Back pause frame

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's especially weird since they've never been shy about rolling out the MARK HENRY IS ALL ELITE as soon as it happens

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

DeathChicken posted:

It's especially weird since they've never been shy about rolling out the MARK HENRY IS ALL ELITE as soon as it happens

There’s a gulf of difference between Mark Henry working in the office and CM Punk joining the roster.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If there’s even a question that he won’t show, you get a boost on the reaction because of relief/surprise. AEW knows this has the potential to be one of the loudest reactions in decades if not ever, so playing coy builds to that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Strongly hinting at it but not outright announcing it is the best thing they can do given it's already reported he's going there. The anticipation that he'll show up will get people to buy tickets and the seed of doubt that he won't actually be there will get them to pop even more when he does show up.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KungFu Grip posted:

some one should turn the video of Malaki Black booting Cody in the face to the Eric Andre Be Right Back pause frame

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/595841839295365125/870496219133255690/codyboot.mp4

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Someone noted how Tony has signed 4 guys in this photo (and has used Cardona) and it reminded me of a scene in Citizen Kane.

quote:

Six years ago, I looked at a picture of the world's greatest newspaper men. I felt like a kid in front of a candy store.

Well, tonight, six years later, I got my candy -- all of it.

Welcome, gentlemen, to the Enquirer!

Make up an extra copy of that picture and send it to the Chronicle, will you please? It will make you all happy to learn that our circulation this morning was the greatest in New York: Six hundred and eighty-four thousand!

And AEW's demo viewership will soon crush the Inquirer's pathetic circulation.

Every once in awhile Tony reminds me of the young Charles Foster Kane. Hopefully a happy childhood will ensure he doesn't end up like the old Charles Foster Kane.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Taeler_Hendrix/status/1420938959388135425

Taeler shooting her shot?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i do hope she gets a chance

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i do hope she gets a chance

Agreement. She got a raw deal out of ROH and has been doing every odd job out there to try and get back into TV wrestling again. She even has/had a pocast on Russo's podcast network, which was the only thing worth listening to. Also a babe.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If it were up to AEW, I sincerely believe this would've been a complete surprise, but TNT's like "c'maaaaaaaaaaahn" with the surprises after Sting, so they're basically telling you without telling you so that there's that teeeny little bit of plausible deniability that lets you act like it's a surprise when that guitar rift hits.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I genuinely hope "So much happening in our world (BOOT)" is a moment that is remembered forever in wrestling.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

If it were up to AEW, I sincerely believe this would've been a complete surprise, but TNT's like "c'maaaaaaaaaaahn" with the surprises after Sting, so they're basically telling you without telling you so that there's that teeeny little bit of plausible deniability that lets you act like it's a surprise when that guitar rift hits.

Yeah, that seems like the compromise position.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

An Evil Cowboy Cult but they're actually good guys is why wrestling is cool.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope they actually got Punk and its not just plausible deniability because the manchild rears to the fore in Punk or whatever WWE shenanigans.

Don't hurt me on this one, BBTK.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sticklefifer posted:

I genuinely hope "So much happening in our world (BOOT)" is a moment that is remembered forever in wrestling.

I'm starting to think that Malaki's world building sessions weren't for the benefit of justifying why WWE should have used him and instead a lorebible for his current incarnation. I think the white suit/black suit thing was one of the twitter snippets. or at least the color coding the clothes idea. Which is pretty brilliant.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it’s funny that Cody has to keep wearing the white suit every week until the match happens

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Malakai Black just begging Cody, please keep wearing the white suit, it’s very important to the lore

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

Malakai Black just begging Cody, please keep wearing the white suit, it’s very important to the lore

Tony has been watching a lot of Matlock so he's really feeling the white hair and light colored suits.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, that seems like the compromise position.

the smartest order of events here would have been

1. TNT tells AEW they gotta pop a rating on these big debuts

2. Khan gets Punk, TNT reminds him about the debut thing

3. Khan says "ok, you want us to tell everyone CM Punk is coming and prevent the single most shocking return in wrestling history? Ok then we're going to make a huge box office from it" and books the United Center and leaks Punk to the Observer (and now is just putting "hints" on TV)

same deal with Danielson except he already had the NYC show and figured he could just open up the rest of the seating they wouldn't normally have a chance of selling out

now who knows if that's how it actually went down, but it seems plausible, since TK seems to generally be good at these things

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

Like Cody Rhodes wouldn't be 120% down with whatever ridiculous over-the-top D&D poo poo Malakai's been cooking up for the last forever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mal-3 posted:

Like Cody Rhodes wouldn't be 120% down with whatever ridiculous over-the-top D&D poo poo Malakai's been cooking up for the last forever.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rarity posted:

I just caught up with thread and man, y'all are gonna be real mad when Christian gets the All Out title shot

I will fire raw rage blood out of every oriface. I will rupture my belly button and spray blood out of that. Christian is the midcardiest midcarder to even gain a dedicated following. Being 47 isn't helping it. Being surrounded by talent exponentially more talented than he is really isn't helping it. His booking right now is good but he should not have ever been allowed to realize that AEW has championships. Maybe a 3 week Dynamite burner feud. Maybe. Anything other than that confirms that Tony is one of those guys who booked Christian to be WWE champion in EWR in 2001.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

I will fire raw rage blood out of every oriface. I will rupture my belly button and spray blood out of that. Christian is the midcardiest midcarder to even gain a dedicated following. Being 47 isn't helping it. Being surrounded by talent exponentially more talented than he is really isn't helping it. His booking right now is good but he should not have ever been allowed to realize that AEW has championships. Maybe a 3 week Dynamite burner feud. Maybe. Anything other than that confirms that Tony is one of those guys who booked Christian to be WWE champion in EWR in 2001.

kenny needs wins to pad his title reign's length, I'm disappointed about this too but this is too much

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rotinaj posted:

kenny needs wins to pad his title reign's length, I'm disappointed about this too but this is too much

Chris has had a problem with The Elite run since the beginning so I don't think he wants a longer length lol

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

ChrisBTY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUGi2X42sQ

bartok
May 10, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

I like Christian

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ChrisBTY posted:

I wasn't sure before, but you've convinced me, Christian definitely should get the next title shot.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Christian represents all of us and the massive
scale of the universe, he is the pale blue dot.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Christian should get a 6 month program with Kenny Omega that main events Full Gear and Revolution 2022

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Christian gonna be forgiven by the Redeemer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shard posted:

Good thread. This is my favorite wrestling storyline of all time. Mostly because I AM an anxious millennial cowboy

https://twitter.com/ZakGrim/status/1420834482198884354?s=19

Something the Hangman/Dark Order recaps tend to skip over that doesn't get talked about enough is the BTE "post-credits" segment that takes place the night of Full Gear 2020. It's both kind of heartbreaking to watch and it's the moment that truly got the Hangman/Dark Order ball rolling.

For those who haven't seen it, Silver's all depressed that he lost to Orange Cassidy. The others in the Dark Order cheer him up by chanting, "gently caress HANGMAN!" much like Brodie would do to rally everyone. Meanwhile, Hangman lost to Kenny AND he's realized that the Bucks are better off without him trying to make amends, so he goes to the Dark Order's clubhouse, since that's where they keep the liquor. He walks in on the chant and everyone awkwardly clams up. Instead of acting offended, Hangman toasts his glass to them, disguises his pain with a laugh and starts the "gently caress HANGMAN!" chant back up, increasingly angrier and louder (with everyone joining in) until storming off. Uno sees this as a recruitment opportunity and tries to catch up with him.

The whole thing started because Hangman and Silver lost their high-profile matches, which makes it kind of neat that they were the last two on their team.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

it’s already my number one favorite Cody promo, hands down

bless you for this, fellow goon :cheers:

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

that's corporate synergy!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
If we are doing the Labors of Jericho going through his career, I found an insane #4.

In CMLL, July 23, 1993: Corazon de Leon, El Dandy & La Fiera vs Dr. Wagner Jr., Felino & Negro Casas

This could be a Gauntlet Match against 2 current CMLL stars (literally true today, look it up, CMLL is weird) and the Bad Doctor.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Shard posted:

Good thread. This is my favorite wrestling storyline of all time. Mostly because I AM an anxious millennial cowboy

https://twitter.com/ZakGrim/status/1420834482198884354?s=19
https://twitter.com/ZakGrim/status/1420834544324915201
The question of "who knows how much longer we'll have live crowds this time around" has me concerned that we might end up rolling back to the small crowds at Daily's Place because of a handful of pieces of poo poo who still aren't taking the virus seriously enough to get vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
genuinely didn't consider a handicap match as a labor