Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Winston is completely underused in the entire franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

8one6 posted:

I sincerely hope that they give him his due in Afterlife. Ernie Hudson is like... the best. He deserves better as Winston.

Speaking of, every single drat time Winston pulls Janosz away from Vigo, and Janosz yells out that pitiful "Aaaaahhhh!!", I laugh out loud. Can't help it.

In watching GB2 now, it really does hold up despite it's huge fault for retreading the same beats as the first.

I mean, if they were to go out of business, then yeah, they'd have to build themselves back up, and it'd likely happen how they've portrayed it here. They act more friendly to each other, because they're basically family now, including Dana, Louis, and Janine.

I feel like I love GB2 a little bit more every time I watch it. Doesn't hurt that it was the first movie I saw in theatres, when I was 6.

I can still see "GHOSTBUSTERS II" in black block lettering across the marquee. It'll never not be a special movie to me.

I think the only thing I actively dislike about it, aside from Winston still getting the shaft, is how Janosz finally gets Oscar.

A nanny costume? Really? That's where I feel it really leaned into its RGB influence; that idea would be right at home in an episode of the cartoon, but he really should have broken in, temporarily paralyzed Louis and Janine, and physically taken Oscar, but it's not like anyone can change it, so whatever :shrug:

Edit: holy poo poo, I just realized that there's definitely a very slim chance that Peter Mcnicol will be in Afterlife.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 29, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Armacham posted:

Peter McNichol is the absolute highlight of GB2 for me, even if his character is just eastern European Lewis Tully.

I still quote "everything you are doing is bad, I want you to know this"

8one6
May 20, 2012

There has never been a time when I've seen Peter McNichol in something and my first response hasn't been "You are like the buzzing of flies to him!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Janine: "You're very good with children."

Louis: "Thanks! I practiced on my hamster."

Janine: "So, you live alone?"

Louis: "Well, I used to have a roommate, but my mom moved to Florida."

A 1-2 punch of great lines. :lol:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tom Guycot posted:

I still quote "everything you are doing is bad, I want you to know this"

"Janny, where in the hell are you from?"
"...ze Upper Vest zide?"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

That was the biggest fault of the 2nd movie. Winston was not around enough.

Winston wasn't even around for the direct sequel Sega Genesis game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Winston wasn't even around for the direct sequel Sega Genesis game.

At least he had plenty to do in the PS3/360 game and they even established he got his doctorate between adventures.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
“Oh, but I ‘voo’!”

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

8one6 posted:

True, although at least the Real Ghostbusters gives him more focus. (So maybe it should be “Ernie Hudson is tragically underused”.)

Those notes from the network consultants urging the program to simplify the character roles by having Egon the brain, Peter the mouth, Ray the hands and Winston the driver still make my blood boil.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narsham posted:

True, although at least the Real Ghostbusters gives him more focus. (So maybe it should be “Ernie Hudson is tragically underused”.)

Those notes from the network consultants urging the program to simplify the character roles by having Egon the brain, Peter the mouth, Ray the hands and Winston the driver still make my blood boil.

The comics also do solid work with Winston. He's honestly the heart of the team there, more than Ray.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

The comics also do solid work with Winston. He's honestly the heart of the team there, more than Ray.

I really gotta read these someday. Like, all of them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The courtroom scene is the highlight of GB2. I even chose Louis's line when I titled this thread. You do see Winston in the background when the Scoleri Brothers escape. He's helping people out of the room, so he's not totally absent. But they definitely should have had him there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The courtroom scene is the highlight of GB2. I even chose Louis's line when I titled this thread. You do see Winston in the background when the Scoleri Brothers escape. He's helping people out of the room, so he's not totally absent. But they definitely should have had him there.

I guess his pack wasn't there (he wasn't arrested, his stuff wasn't confiscated), so he did the best he could. :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess his pack wasn't there (he wasn't arrested, his stuff wasn't confiscated), so he did the best he could. :shrug:

Were I doing my armchair rewrite, I'd just have Winston there when they check the intersection and get busted (heh) so poof, four proton packs as evidence.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really gotta read these someday. Like, all of them.

There's honestly a really cool scene where an ancient demon possesses Venkman who completely no-sells the fact it feeds on fear. Really working that psychology degree.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The cool thing about the courtroom scene is how kinetic it is. It is almost the GBs first real action sequence. The big set-pieces in 1 were much more locked down and restrained - which is not a criticism, it totally works - but they feel like Western stand-offs prioritising tension and moments of silence. The courtroom battle by contrast injects a bit of eighties action cinema with tightly joined progressive action beats, and more camera movement and dynamic editing. It's dope.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The courtroom fight in GB2 is kinda like a stripped-down coles notes version of the ballroom scene in GB1.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It suddenly occurred to me the courtroom scene is what most regular calls must have been like for them. They're pros at this now. The only time we actually see them busting ghosts before in the movies is at the Sedgwick, and that's literally the first time they're doing it. So five years later, they've got all their techniques and procedures down pat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It suddenly occurred to me the courtroom scene is what most regular calls must have been like for them. They're pros at this now. The only time we actually see them busting ghosts before in the movies is at the Sedgwick, and that's literally the first time they're doing it. So five years later, they've got all their techniques and procedures down pat.

And the place STILL gets wrecked.

Like, along with the jewellery store, Ghostbustering is messy, holy poo poo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The 360 game kept track of the cost of the damage you caused because the city just had ghostbusting insurance now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

8one6 posted:

The 360 game kept track of the cost of the damage you caused because the city just had ghostbusting insurance now.

I loved that about the game. It was so satisfying just destroying everything and watching number go up.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It really was one of the dopest movie-related games to have ever been made. That and Republic Commando stand out to me as the two main ones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, next time it goes on sale, I'm absolutely getting GB on Switch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the game where 'Rookie' comes from?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Is the game where 'Rookie' comes from?

Yeah, that’s the player character.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Narsham posted:

A nerdy hobby of mine and fluke chance of my friend getting asked to help Ernie Hudson led to me spending an afternoon with him. It's kind of heartbreaking hearing Ernie talk about how he auditioned for the cartoon, and was told he doesn't sound like the character. "I could have used the job at the time."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

roffels posted:

A nerdy hobby of mine and fluke chance of my friend getting asked to help Ernie Hudson led to me spending an afternoon with him. It's kind of heartbreaking hearing Ernie talk about how he auditioned for the cartoon, and was told he doesn't sound like the character. "I could have used the job at the time."

Aw, that's a shame. Although for what it's worth Arsenio Hall didn't think he'd get it either as Hudson was there to audition, but apparently everybody was being told 'no impressions' so that might be why Ernie didn't get it as dumb as that sounds. It does get a little funnier as Maurice LaMarche was worried because he was an impressionist but they decided that worked for Egon.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

I bought the game (PC) when it initially was released. Even with the issues the game had, it was just like being in one of the movies. I'm so glad that I can run the Epic release at full fps. Everything is so much smoother. This time I'll try to get all of the achievements. 😁

Violator
May 15, 2003

I happened to rewatch GB1 a couple weeks ago and some of the stuff I love the most is the things I didn’t pick up as a kid. Like after the hotel bust Egon subtly shaking his head and rubbing his nose with certain fingers to tell Venkman how much to charge. A weirdo scientist but a sly business man too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that’s the player character.

One of them, Venkman I think, has a line about not bothering to learn your name since you'll likely quit or run screaming in a few days anyway

(Stop being in other threads I'm in -- its hard to keep track)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

One of them, Venkman I think, has a line about not bothering to learn your name since you'll likely quit or run screaming in a few days anyway

He says that he doesn't want to know the Rookie's name "after what happened to the last guy." It's one of the few jokes in the game's script that actually lands, because otherwise it's basically a horrific mashup of the first two movies' Greatest Hits and some levels based on 1983 concept art.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I feel weird being one of the rare people that like all the movies as well as the cartoons and the video games. They make me smile.

Also I was in GB2 as a kid. Im in the crowd near the end of the movie cheering for Lady Liberty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I feel weird being one of the rare people that like all the movies as well as the cartoons and the video games. They make me smile.

Also I was in GB2 as a kid. Im in the crowd near the end of the movie cheering for Lady Liberty.

This is fantastic and I love it :glomp:

Also, while it's definitely a retread of the first two movies, playing the game is still fun because goddammit, bustin' makes me feel good.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
They really nailed the mechanics of wrangling ghosts in a satisfying way in the game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I was super lovely at tethering ghosts so I never actually managed to finish it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also the proton pack overheat thing from the VG gets used a lot now in people building their own packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSTH9qAyZ0

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The_Doctor posted:

Also the proton pack overheat thing from the VG gets used a lot now in people building their own packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSTH9qAyZ0

The smoke at the end is fully sick as hell

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Armacham posted:

The smoke at the end is fully sick as hell

That ones on a spirit pack, but there are some incredible ones where whole parts like the bumper and n-filter and stuff pop out, spin around, vent smoke and then pull back in like the video game. Its remarkable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

That ones on a spirit pack, but there are some incredible ones where whole parts like the bumper and n-filter and stuff pop out, spin around, vent smoke and then pull back in like the video game. Its remarkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saw-UlYReug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
After 4 years of working on it, and 30+ years of wanting one, I've just about completed my baby.

And the rest of the kit...

Super happy with it. Just waiting for my phone to ring. ;)

I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague, so if you have any comments, questions or anything please quote me. Otherwise I'll skim the thread for a bit and miss your post. :)