Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like to think so, yes.

Like, there has not to my knowledge been a public statement from Firaxis that certain leaders were modern-era monsters and it was a mistake to ever include them, and maybe we'll see all of them as options in Civ 7, but it's a nice thought that we won't.

I think you’re looking at it from the wrong perspective. Including Mao or Stalin (or probably any communist leader) would lead to backlash today in a way that it wouldn’t have in 2005. The same would not happen if they included Churchill or FDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

That's pretty neat. On that note, since I'm new to civ VI: is 90% for missions the highest percent change of success (beside Gain Sources/Listening Post)? and, seperate from the promotion traits themselves, does "Spy Level" only control chance of success? No effect on mission speed?

Yes. Level only affects chance of success. The only way to boost speed is the specific promotion or policy cards.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Level also increases results for some missions. A level 3 spy can steal more funds or foment more unrest than a level 1 spy.

Starks posted:

I think you’re looking at it from the wrong perspective. Including Mao or Stalin (or probably any communist leader) would lead to backlash today in a way that it wouldn’t have in 2005. The same would not happen if they included Churchill or FDR.

That's entirely possible, but I prefer to think that they're just more conscious about leaders whose policies still have victims today. If it were solely about political backlash, they wouldn't really have bothered including Montezuma I or the Shoshone. They wanted to make the Pueblo a civ but had consulted with the tribal leaders, who said they'd rather not have any historical figures portrayed in a video game, and then backed off.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

HappyCamperGL posted:

Yes. Level only affects chance of success. The only way to boost speed is the specific promotion or policy cards.

There's also a golden/heroic age dedication, Bodyguard of Lies, that reduces mission length by 25%. Being culturally dominant over a civ also reduces mission length by 25%. So you can actually get -100% mission length, which effectively makes all missions take 1 turn. Except siphoning funds still treats it as 0 turns for calculating how much gold you steal, i.e. you get 0 gold. Great for everything else, though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

For one, why add Hitler to your game because it is instant bad publicity. And second, it makes your game unsellable in Germany. Third, probably not a great idea to brainstorm the special things that the Furher of the Third Reich was good at.

I get it, others bad too. But be real here

Paradox is able to sell the Hearts of Iron series in Germany. And that series of games has Hitler in it. I'm not even sure if those meddlesome Swedes caught bad press, for the unforgivable act of adding Hitler to a video game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean in the European version of Hearts of Iron it does not, in fact, have Hitler in it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Games with Hitler tend to be very popular.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holey moley, they actually rebalanced virtually everything in that last patch didn't they? before there were "gaps" in the tech tree for each era of infantry, you had to go from swordsdudes to musketeers it was ridiculous. Trebuchets for medieval sieging too, excellent.

Mapuche now put out loyalty pressure on nearby cities with all their governors, so they can flip more easily, that's good. And their combat bonus applies to free city units as well. I always thought they were a cool idea that was never fully realized.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've played a few games now after making a couple of changes to the game. First was changing the first line in one of the game files as described here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/oe4yqg/3_lines_of_code_in_april_patch_that_shot_the_ai/

I actually only made the first change but will also try the other two listed, but it seemed to have a good effect, with the AI making more balanced decisions and not so much SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE. I even managed to get some early great scientists (like that one that gives science on your holy site, haven't got them in years) and the AI would build more varied stuff, and an actual military... well, usually. I still saw two Barbarian pikes roaming Persia for centuries, probably trying to pillage my trade routes.

The second was a fix for how the AI barely bothers to improve luxuries etc:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2408529837

I'm not sure if it's had much of an effect, the AI is still leaving crucial tiles unimproved, but I guess that's just the AI?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There's still an annoying gap in ships that I use the unit expansion mod for still, and I honestly think Man at Arm's placement is way more problematic than their placement of Longswordsmen.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

God I love playing as Portugal

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

today it occurred to me that when they put rock bands in, they missed an opportunity for a Battle of the Bands. Not a unit-to-unit combat mess like religion, but something more abstract and less micro-managey.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

homullus posted:

today it occurred to me that when they put rock bands in, they missed an opportunity for a Battle of the Bands. Not a unit-to-unit combat mess like religion, but something more abstract and less micro-managey.

Make rock band actions a multi-turn affair. If another rock band shows up from another nation, the time gets extended and the pool of tourism gets multiplied as a battle of the bands starts, but the split of the tourism pot is decided by which band is winning. The pot and time keeps increasing each time a band from another nation shows up.

You could have multiple bands from the same nation show up maybe but I'd put serious stacking penalties because I think having multiple battle of the bands is more interesting than repeated spamming on the same one. Maybe it provides an increase on who's winning but it doesn't increase the pot that much. Once the battle ends, everyone gets their chunk of tourism; Bands that performed well have an increased chance of surviving afterwards; bands that performed poorly have a decreased chance of survival.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

Make rock band actions a multi-turn affair. If another rock band shows up from another nation, the time gets extended and the pool of tourism gets multiplied as a battle of the bands starts, but the split of tourism is decided by which band is winning. The pot and time keeps increasing each time a band from another nation shows up.

You could have multiple bands from the same nation show up maybe but I'd put serious stacking penalties. Maybe it provides an increase on who's winning but it doesn't increase the pot that much. Once the battle ends, everyone gets their chunk of tourism; Bands that performed well have an increased chance of surviving afterwards; bands that performed poorly have a decreased chance of survival.

the more bands are there (from any country), the more likely they are to get in fights with them and break up after the tour. on top of the penalty for performing poorly.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

homullus posted:

the more bands are there (from any country), the more likely they are to get in fights with them and break up after the tour. on top of the penalty for performing poorly.
:thumbsup:

Someone make this mod!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I literally just had the Vikings move their army near my border, and in response i moved mine there, and then the Greeks attacked me. That's some ridiculous coordination.

Does anyone else reduce the number of city states? I always find the computer places them around my starting area, often forcing me to attack them in order to expand. And i mean expand beyond my starting capital. reducing them always solve that issue. I also set the barbarian scout to 12 turns rather than 7 because 7 turns goes by real fast.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I haven't played with barbarians or city-states for more than a year. I would like to decrease the amount of micromanagement these days.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Earned my highest score ever with the Byzantines. I prefer turtle-y style strategies, and only attack neighbors if it's absolutely necessary. Part of my problem with aggressive military strategies is having to micromanage poo poo to overcome walls and other defenses, and by the time I wheel an army somewhere the defenses have strengthened and my support units are useless. With Basil I could just smash face. Wound up conquering my whole continent by the industrial age with minimal effort.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John F Bennett posted:

I haven't played with barbarians or city-states for more than a year. I would like to decrease the amount of micromanagement these days.

I've tried playing without barbarians but with the unlimited barbarian xp mod you want to keep them around to level your units. I've never bothered completely eliminating city states, as they are useful, but i feel like that being as common as they are makes them less special.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I do the opposite, and add more city states and civilizations than the map size suggests. It makes the world a bit more alive and ultimately results in less micromanaging because you only have room for a handful of cities instead of like the 12+ you can have on whatever land you stake out on a standard setting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I do the opposite, and add more city states and civilizations than the map size suggests. It makes the world a bit more alive and ultimately results in less micromanaging because you only have room for a handful of cities instead of like the 12+ you can have on whatever land you stake out on a standard setting.

I used to always put it on max (I always play huge maps), but than I realized it makes barbarian camps unable to evolve. Now Im using 20

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I really like a low number of city states with barbarian mode. Something about cultivating barbs is enjoyable for me.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

On Standard, the map appears to have enough space for about 10 Civs, but the default is 8. The AI also is really bad at settling unclaimed land later in the game, and basically incapable of settling islands that aren’t touching their empire. If you don’t adjust the settings to add more Civs, it doesn’t feel right.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Playing with 20 civs on the real Earth map is really fun. I don't recommend doing it every time, because it gets janky, but it's a cool mode. Might want to turn off Diplo victory because it's too easy to win that way.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Playing with 20 civs on the real Earth map is really fun. I don't recommend doing it every time, because it gets janky, but it's a cool mode. Might want to turn off Diplo victory because it's too easy to win that way.

How come, so many people means there's always emergencies or what?

Trying to think what would make it easier because of there being 20

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah with a lot of civs there are more emergencies so its easy to stack diplo points. you gotta be careful if you have diplo focused leaders like laurier or pericles

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stefan Prodan posted:

How come, so many people means there's always emergencies or what?

Trying to think what would make it easier because of there being 20

- More emergencies
- It's easier to predict World Congress votes
- Cultural, Religious, and Domination victory take much longer

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Why does cultural victory take longer with more civs?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Staltran posted:

Because you need to make and ship more Blue Jeans, and that takes more time.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Staltran posted:

Culture victory requires things that are harder to achieve with more Civs. The easiest path is founding a religion, getting Mont St. Michel, St. Basil’s Cathedral, and Cristo Redentor. That is harder to pull off on higher difficulties or with more Civs on the map.

You also run into the problem with more Civs where you might have too many people ahead of you to effectively target with Rock Bands. You can overcome 1-2 Civs with Rock Bands, but maybe not 3-4.

Also with more Civs you are more likely to run into a problematic Civ like France, Brazil, or Kongo who can block your culture victory.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The game totally spawns civs and city states near the play right? I tried out 6 city states and 8 civs on a large map, and 4 city states are next to me and 6 civs are next to me, which means that the rest of the map is basically empty.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Staltran posted:

They should take longer, because the amount of tourists you get per civ is supposed to be modified based on the number of civs in the game. This is in fact bugged, and the number of tourists you get per civ is a constant number; you get a foreign tourist for every 1600 points of tourism you've earned per civ currently in the game. More civs makes a cultural victory faster, in fact.

It also makes it more likely that you will end up facing a civ with a high culture output, and that will slow you down, but more civs = more tourism = faster culture victories, in aggregate.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

The game totally spawns civs and city states near the play right? I tried out 6 city states and 8 civs on a large map, and 4 city states are next to me and 6 civs are next to me, which means that the rest of the map is basically empty.

Sometimes you get a bunch of people next to you, sometimes you spawn on an entire continent that only has you and a city state or two.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

And sometimes how the game decides what is and isn't part of some continent is just weird. Playing England the first time as Eleanor, and trying to soak in those "not on your contient bonuses". There's like these large island/landmasses that are apparently my continent but the random contiguous land below a certain parallel is not. It really shaped where I've been settling.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Staltran posted:

Sometimes you get a bunch of people next to you, sometimes you spawn on an entire continent that only has you and a city state or two.

As far as I can remember, i have never, ever been alone in a continent. I'm always close to at least half of the total civs no matter how big the world is. I've played games where there is an entire continent that has one civ on it. Of course they've only build like 5 cities so its still basically empty.

At first I thought it was simply because i had "old world start" selected, but nope, even with that off i still start near everyone. I tried creating a huge map with only me and 1 other civ and 1 city state and i found both in the first 20 turns. I repeated this 5 more times or so, and same thing each time.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 3, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

twistedmentat posted:

Of course they've only build like 5 cities so its still basically empty.

Thats not my experience at all. I like plenty of space, so I play huge maps with 8-9 civs (3 less than the recomender, irrc). And the AI will usually build cities like crazy until theres no space left. Map is always filled up or almost by the time I launch the satellite

Too bad the AI is so dumb at building cities, so they will all be small and worthless. But they do build a lot of them to try to compensate it

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

As far as I can remember, i have never, ever been alone in a continent. I'm always close to at least half of the total civs no matter how big the world is. I've played games where there is an entire continent that has one civ on it. Of course they've only build like 5 cities so its still basically empty.

At first I thought it was simply because i had "old world start" selected, but nope, even with that off i still start near everyone. I tried creating a huge map with only me and 1 other civ and 1 city state and i found both in the first 20 turns. I repeated this 5 more times or so, and same thing each time.

Weird. I'm constantly finding myself alone in my own corner of the world with one or two city states and everything else is crammed into a far corner. So I spend the majority of the early game just chilling and doing whatever I want while every so often I get a message about somebody getting eliminated from the game. Then I go to space and let them keep fighting it out. :v:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I find when I want to do a chill peaceful game I get a cramped start and when I want to do a conquest game I spawn far away from everyone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

I find when I want to do a chill peaceful game I get a cramped start and when I want to do a conquest game I spawn far away from everyone.

Similarly, if you're playing a civ with a terrain gimmick you want to lean into you will get a start with none of that terrain and if you have a terrain gimmick you plan on ignoring you will start surrounded entirely by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Aweome, I have my neighbor's capital under siege, got my bombards in position around it and then blizzards pops up and destroys half of my army in 2 turns cause the terrain is too hilly to move them out of the path

Edit: Same game

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 3, 2021