Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The recurring gag of Cooper having a slightly-nerdy Halloween costume that no one else in the store gets is such a good one, and one I relate to from my time working big-box retail. ("I'm THE DUDE! I... abide! Why has no one in this Walmart seen The Big Lebowski?!")

EDIT: Man, what a terrible first post. Have some Mutts:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i do like Mutts

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 23, 1946)

:tbear:

I like how Brandel said he'll stand guard while Aleta bathes, and then he just let a bear through.

Mikl posted:

Final appearance: Vin Vulpen.

Ayup. Not kidding here: this is literally the last time Vin appears in this strip, aside from a one-panel cameo some months from now. Then he's mentioned a couple times (in flashbacks, even), and then he's just... Gone.

Which is honestly a waste of his character. Someone in this thread mentioned that it would've been interesting, for example, to see Kell become sort of a foster mother to Vin; and him being Rudy's half-brother lends itself to some interesting character and story arcs. Also, he appeared to be interested in dating Corrie, even after learning she's a sheep, which is an interesting hint into the depths of his character: remember that at this point in the strip, predatory-prey relationships are still very frowned upon, but Vin doesn't seem to mind.

Instead... Nothing.

Ah well.

And with that, as I said: I'm off for a long-weekend vacation, starting tomorrow, so K&K posting will resume on Tuesday; I'll do a catch-up for Modern K&K, but with Classic I'll just pick off where I left.

See ya!

I find the Kindle-Dewclaw family line similar to the Deegans where the only ones that matter are the various relatives and hanger-ons they've got. Vin's got a solid tie to the family, being Rudy's half-brother, so it's really bizarre that he just disappeared forever. No redemption arc or a reveal of him hooking up with someone for a pregnancy storyline. In a way, I guess being memory-holed is better than being dragged back just to get shat on.

Anyway, enjoy your vacation!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (August 19, 1995)

Ensio and Rauno Santanen are not employed by Anja Koskinen, they are independent lobbyists/businessmen. Anja doesn't have a problem working with them, though.

Hmmm, yes, clearly what Mämmilä needed was more appearances by its worst character.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

When you're so thrilled to be in a pregnancy storyline you propose a pregnancy storyline

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Guy Fawkes posted:

Is this the first time? The beginning of the most infuriating storyline of the "Peanuts"?

What gets me is that, in the latter half, Lucy doesn't move the ball and he messes it up anyway. That takes the joke to its logical conclusion right in the very first strip! There was no need for any of the ones in the future!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Hmmm, yes, clearly what Mämmilä needed was more appearances by its worst character.

What is even the point anymore? Isopaljo got more comeuppance. Was the author just feeling misanthropic with the depression and everything?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (August 7, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 17, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (September 12, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (February 13, 1936)

Mopsy (April 14, 1937)

Up Front (May 26, 1944)

Dark Laughter (November 29, 1947)

Those Were the Days (July 8, 1953)

Wee Pals (November 3, 1965)

Dogbert March 3, 1966

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

Dogbert March 3, 1966

It doesn't get mentioned much (probably because there's not much to discuss about it) but I want to say that I really, really love Dogbert.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (December 12, 1933)

Peanuts (August 1, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 28, 1938)

Out Our Way (February 4-6, 1937)

Dok's "SPORTS BALL!" Duck (September 14, 1913)

Little Lefty (February 4-6, 1935)

Blondie From Zero (December 8-10, 1930)

I was in such a rush today that I missed the trolley again. Toonerville is still a thing, I promise.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 30, 2021

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

gently caress Batiuk

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the not-stan lee in this story line is also just a stand in for batiuk right? like his name is "batton thomas"? or was that another old man with a neverending smirk

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zinkraptor posted:

What gets me is that, in the latter half, Lucy doesn't move the ball and he messes it up anyway. That takes the joke to its logical conclusion right in the very first strip! There was no need for any of the ones in the future!
She holds it so tight to the ground he kicks it but can't move it. He didn't gently caress it up, she was still loving with him.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

First you draw the comic book, then you write the script. That's how it works, right?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Jesus, we get enough preaching from the rest of the cast, lighten up. Shannon wants to play dress up because little kids like to play dress up and it's been starting so young ever since little kids have existed.

Source: I am old and when I was a kid I played dress up. I would even *GASP* put on makeup!!! Like a fallen woman!!!!!

Also Shannon has two mouths, it seems.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

First you draw the comic book, then you write the script. That's how it works, right?

The "Marvel Method" back in the day was the artist drawing the art and then the writer adding the dialogue, which is what's being referenced here.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

She holds it so tight to the ground he kicks it but can't move it. He didn't gently caress it up, she was still loving with him.

Ah, I see I'm an idiot. I should probably read comics more closely before I complain about them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I don't think Lucy's deliberately loving with CB here. She's a bit contrarian and self-centered while still in her toddler stage, but she's not malicious yet.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Potsticker posted:

The "Marvel Method" back in the day was the artist drawing the art and then the writer adding the dialogue, which is what's being referenced here.
Hm, interesting way of doing things. Not at all how I imagined it worked.

Zinkraptor posted:

Ah, I see I'm an idiot. I should probably read comics more closely before I complain about them.

Gnoman posted:

I don't think Lucy's deliberately loving with CB here. She's a bit contrarian and self-centered while still in her toddler stage, but she's not malicious yet.
I mean that's how I read it. I clearly can be wrong. :)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Hm, interesting way of doing things. Not at all how I imagined it worked.

What you might also find interesting is when the dialogue was written in a way to counter act what was being shown in the art, which happened at least both in Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The Adventures of Jeremy: Cat Dad continues to be my favorite aspect of Zits

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Nov 17, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 29-30, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

somepartsareme posted:

the not-stan lee in this story line is also just a stand in for batiuk right? like his name is "batton thomas"? or was that another old man with a neverending smirk

This is a different smirking, old rear end in a top hat than Battom Thomas. Shocking, I know.

Julet Esqu posted:

Jesus, we get enough preaching from the rest of the cast, lighten up. Shannon wants to play dress up because little kids like to play dress up and it's been starting so young ever since little kids have existed.

Source: I am old and when I was a kid I played dress up. I would even *GASP* put on makeup!!! Like a fallen woman!!!!!

Also Shannon has two mouths, it seems.

gently caress off, Team Evans. They really just can't allow a kid to do kid things, huh? And Luann is supposed to work for a daycare center too, which is hard to imagine when she's like this toward Shannon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

And...this isn't a fun bonus, but I feel like it's important to include the less fun parts of historical news sometimes. (and to see that certain things, like the 'oh, so women can just make up bullshit to get the MEN in trouble???' bad faith arguments have always just kinda been there)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Openly Antagonizing Your Readers :sickos:

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The MiniSec Museum

2007 (July 30-August 3)

2010 (August 30-September 3)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
News from modern Dick Tracy: this loser went to the loving cops because a comic he liked was in reruns for a bit:

e:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 30, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kavak posted:

What is even the point anymore? Isopaljo got more comeuppance. Was the author just feeling misanthropic with the depression and everything?

It does accurately reflect the changing world as we move into the era of unchecked global hypercapitalism. Everything starts sucking poo poo, through a straw, which is also your only way to get air.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So she's extremely concerned about the downfall of society due to cosmetics, but teaching this child to respect other people's personal property and not take it without asking? Nah. Go ahead, kid. I'm sure TJ won't mind you wasting all his expensive stuff.

OK, so Mike is obviously far worse, but if Betty's so keen to meet him why doesn't she just propose a time and place? And if he still won't go for it, move on.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Haifisch posted:

News from modern Dick Tracy: this loser went to the loving cops because a comic he liked was in reruns for a bit:

e:

:allears:

It’s just as smugly obsessed with the importance of comics like Funky Winkerbean, but instead of packing it in smug benign smiles, it’s balls to the walls crazy and incomprehensible. I can’t help but love it.

I also posted that cinema strip a few weeks back. It still makes me laugh in how random and pointless it is. “GIANT MONKEY” *kiss*

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 14, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 14, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 14, 1989)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

drat, too prudish for Luann. this guy's good!

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Did Rae... load her gloves?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/29/01

Brenda Starr 12/12-14/46

Smokey Stover 7/12/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

In Christmas With Clovis we established that Pixy Garage is somewhere you should never visit. The arcade game that the proprietor (probably called “Les”) is leaning against is called Space Junk (1986) and its attract mode features a garbled digitised voice saying “WATCH WHO YOU’RE CALLING SPACE JUNK, METEOR MOUTH” every 90 seconds.

Also I didn't think you had to worry about handguns in the UK, but according to the comments for today's comic it's not uncommon to be shot in England, as evidenced in the documentary series Midsomer Murders. Then again I used to think something similar about Canada until I watched Trailer Park Boys

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 30, 2021

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Found this on the Son of Stuck Funky site; I don't know if it's a web crawler or what, but it's got newspaper comics going back to 2006

https://nuless.org/comics/dailystrips-2006.11.15.html

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

hcreight posted:

Thank heavens that bear knew not to gently caress with Aleta.

Thank you for posting these, BTW. I stopped reading this thread regularly years ago but daily Valiant has been reason enough to come back.

I'm glad people are enjoying it!

I forgot they had Moon Maid dating Astro Boy for some reason.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 30, 1946)

No fake mustache, alas.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Tiggum posted:

OK, so Mike is obviously far worse, but if Betty's so keen to meet him why doesn't she just propose a time and place? And if he still won't go for it, move on.
You're reading it too literally. Today's strip isn't about Betty and Mike, it's about Reddick responding to his readers complaining about this arc dragging on for over 4 months without anything happening. He's using the backlash as an excuse to shelve the story for now, but in reality he just doesn't have any ideas for it or the will to commit to the effort of seeing it through, which is why there's backlash in the first place. That's my take.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think he's just writing a really poo poo comic strip tbh. No planning, no plotted out story, just whatever happens to dribble out as he copy pastes his derivative art assets into another digestive failure.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hahahahaha

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Foster with the rare tact to remember to mock and have fun with his cool characters from time to time. :allears: Val and Aleta are so good together.

Jucika "158 - Jucika Learns How To Ride A Bike"

"159 - Jucika And The Same Clothes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I love the slack-shouldered, stooped posture. Great visual storytelling in just a single frame. (Aleta looks like every character in Intelligent Life, but for a reason.)

Julet Esqu posted:

That middle panel...I hope that's a new direction for Luann. Just straight down-the-barrel Evans Family Editorializing, every single day.

Also I haven't had a haircut in 17 months due to the sorry state of the world, I'm not putting "product" on for anybody's sake other than my own.