Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea before that Shout blu ray I really wanted to see the movie so I bought a cheap DVD at the dollar store and it's one of the few DVDs I still occasionally watch. It's a great candidate for UHD and I'll definitely be upgrading.

Edit: Just got word that my Ran UHD has shipped!

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: Just got word that my Ran UHD has shipped!

Same! Pretty excited. I've never seen it. I've held off on a lot of my unseen Kurosawa in hopes of a box set from Criterion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're in for a treat. Assuming there's no major screwups with the transfer this has the potential to be one of the most exciting uses of HDR we've had yet. As much as I love all of Kurosawa's films I've always wished he'd been able to make a few more with color.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does the Ran UHD have a US release or are you importing it?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I got my Ran 4K here in the states last week via Zavvi UK, a small miracle

There was a leaked Ran steelbook for Best Buy a couple weeks ago so I think it is getting a release here this holiday but UHDs are region free so

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I believe it comes with a blu ray that I won't be able to play because I don't have a region free player but the UHD will play just fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
New Tarantino 4k

https://twitter.com/geekgabnews/status/1420062392453500939?s=21

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

GeekGab isn't a particularly great source, so I'm waiting for Dawn of the Discs to confirm if they haven't already.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Really though, how much K do we really need? After a certain point it's a little excessive.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Clockwork Orange UHD pre-order is on BestBuy.com! I don’t think I saw it announced anywhere else. drat, they’re chewing through Kubrick! Comes out 9-12, and the art on each edition (regular/Steelbook) looks pretty good honestly.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 28, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Really though, how much K do we really need? After a certain point it's a little excessive.

Heretic, burn him!!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Physical Media Thread: We're All Down A K Hole

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I also did not enjoy Men in Black 3

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
K? That's his replicant name. He started going by Joe, thank you very much.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Cells.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yessssss

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mine doesn't come in until Saturday.

:negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My Indiana Jones set showed up last night

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like I might be moving out of state within the next few months, which means packing up about 1700 Blu-rays, DVDs, laserdiscs and UHDs. Any tips on how one should go about this efficiently and safely? I'm going to be using an indoor/climate control storage unit for some time in-between.

Iron Crowned posted:

My Indiana Jones set showed up last night

Raiders already looked great on Blu-ray (4K restoration from 2011), but the newer restoration is just jaw-dropping. Again, really making me want to make the leap to an Atmos setup in the future.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like I might be moving out of state within the next few months, which means packing up about 1700 Blu-rays, DVDs, laserdiscs and UHDs. Any tips on how one should go about this efficiently and safely? I'm going to be using an indoor/climate control storage unit for some time in-between.

I just got done with an annoying short term move with, uh, substantially less media than that. What I can tell you is pick smaller heavy-duty boxes because media gets heavy fast. As long as they can’t move around much in there they should be relatively protected, so fill the gaps with something. For a collection that big, be extra careful packing them in order and label the boxes well. I had a bunch of CDs that got out of order and I think I spent 2 hours sorting them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I concur on sticking with smaller boxes. Bad enough with media if you get dumb and use a large box. Even worse if you do it with hardcover books.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Donate them all to me, ship them however you’d like.

Edit— moving books suuuuuuucks, you can either do it with bigger boxes that weigh a ton and require multiple people to move, or a poo poo ton of small boxes and then you’re moving around a ton of boxes. You can’t win.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bankers boxes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

moving books suuuuuuucks, you can either do it with bigger boxes that weigh a ton and require multiple people to move, or a poo poo ton of small boxes and then you’re moving around a ton of boxes. You can’t win.

I think I figured it out this past time I moved. Just put like 10 books in every box and distribute the weight. Of course I was moving a two bedroom apartment so I had like 50 boxes, but not a ton of little ones or a few fuckoff-heavy ones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Raiders already looked great on Blu-ray (4K restoration from 2011), but the newer restoration is just jaw-dropping. Again, really making me want to make the leap to an Atmos setup in the future.

If you check sites like Bags Unlimited or Global Industrial they sell all kinds of boxes designed exactly for stuff like that. Especially Bags Unlimited, they've got boxes for anything people collect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watching Ran and I'm a lot more impressed by the resolution increase than I thought I would be. I guess the previous blu ray was softer than I remember it being when I last watched it a few years ago. There's a lot of extra texture noticeable in all of the costumes and the sets.

I figured it would be a film that mostly benefited from HDR, and of course it does but the colors were stunning before and they've been careful to not overcrank the HDR to unnatural levels so on a scene by scene basis I'm actually appreciating the detail more than the color.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Obv a little more money but I'd recommend the really deep plastic bins with lids from Target. You can fit a ton in one, it has easy handles, and the stuff inside is a lot more protected and they stack nicely.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’ve been saving boxes from my family’s Amazon orders and using those for my stuff. I need save money for more Blu rays of course.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm in the process of moving and i bought approximately one million small reinforced moving boxes from Lowes for my movies. My killer tip is to use packing paper to fill in the gaps so your vinegar syndrome slipcases don't get scratched by your Evil Dead II special editions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

When I moved in 2012 I was also working at Bath and Body Works, so I just collected a bunch of their boxes, and FedEx'd them to my parents. I didn't have nearly that many, and it was all DVD at the time.

Ended up with about 10 damaged cases when all was said and done. Also make sure to catalog your boxes, it'll probably be the only time you get a chance to make a definitive list.

Egbert Souse posted:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tim Whatley posted:

Obv a little more money but I'd recommend the really deep plastic bins with lids from Target. You can fit a ton in one, it has easy handles, and the stuff inside is a lot more protected and they stack nicely.

Copy paper boxes are pretty good, too. Easy to carry with built-in handles and can hold a good bit of weight.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cloks posted:

I'm in the process of moving and i bought approximately one million small reinforced moving boxes from Lowes for my movies. My killer tip is to use packing paper to fill in the gaps so your vinegar syndrome slipcases don't get scratched by your Evil Dead II special editions.

From my small recent sample size, Home Depot boxes > Lowes boxes. They seemed nicer with better handles.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
These aren't the cheapest solution but they aren't that much more overall than the plastic tubs and I like them a LOT more

https://www.amazon.com/Fasmov-Storage-Bags-Hold-DVDs/dp/B071VTXZRR

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Watching Ran and I'm a lot more impressed by the resolution increase than I thought I would be. I guess the previous blu ray was softer than I remember it being when I last watched it a few years ago. There's a lot of extra texture noticeable in all of the costumes and the sets.

If you mean the Lionsgate BD then it is hardly surprising as that was an SD upscale.

(I still think the new colour scheme sucks, but fortunately it can be fixed by adjusting the colour temperature.)

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 30, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sniep posted:

These aren't the cheapest solution
You need not worry about that in this thread, friend

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1421066390941876228?s=19

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Deep Red Art Originale LE.. just when I'm trying to be on a budget :negative:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

In all seriousness, this is the perfect time to reevaluate your collection and your collecting habits. Narrow it down to movies you are realistically going to watch again and jettison the rest. It's just stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FitFortDanga posted:

In all seriousness, this is the perfect time to reevaluate your collection and your collecting habits. Narrow it down to movies you are realistically going to watch again and jettison the rest. It's just stuff.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yo what

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1421119356570853376?s=19