Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

i mean, not that she's necessarily wrong if that's what her contact was based on, but why didn't she file this when it was announced months ago that it be on d+

They would have needed the numbers to show her losses I guess.

There was still a chance it did normal box office numbers. A tiny one, but not impossible.

Barry Convex posted:

yikes. wonder if we'll see more suits like this for other films that have done hybrid releases

There's been a couple for WB's HBO Max releases I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's probably not good

https://twitter.com/tambourine/status/1420802071570309130?s=19

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

i mean, not that she's necessarily wrong if that's what her contact was based on, but why didn't she file this when it was announced months ago that it be on d+

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1420800474685624325

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess Disney figured if they could just straight up stop paying star wars creators without repercussion, they could get away with stiffing high profile actors as well

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, they're 'hosed'.

(In as much as paying out a few million is nothing to them, but they aren't going to win if this goes forward.)

site posted:

i guess Disney figured if they could just straight up stop paying star wars creators without repercussion, they could get away with stiffing high profile actors as well

Let's start fantasy casting our non-SAG scab X-Men.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, they're settling for some percentage of the premium revenue off D+

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, they're 'hosed'.

(In as much as paying out a few million is nothing to them, but they aren't going to win if this goes forward.)

Are you talking win in a legal sense or PR sense? Because on the latter side, this isn’t good for them. But I don’t think we’ve read the contract so I have no idea how we could say they are hosed legally.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

All the X-Men will be 12 years old and have singing careers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aphrodite posted:

I think at least Gal Gadot and Keanu Reeves were making noise as soon as they announced they were putting the movies on HBO Max.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

Not that I know of. there were a lot of reports of stars, directors, and partner studios like Legendary being very unhappy with the decision, and WB presumably had to renegotiate a lot of deals and pay a lot of them through the nose to quiet them, but afaik no one has actually filed suit against WB over the HBO Max hybrid strategy... yet.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, they're 'hosed'.

Yeah, this is making headlines (Lawsuits! Famous people!) but it strikes me as a fairly basic bit of renegotiating for a settlement. I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to deal with Disney's legal department in a settlement as an end-run around what's probably much more technical contract negotiation stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Are you talking win in a legal sense or PR sense? Because on the latter side, this isn’t good for them. But I don’t think we’ve read the contract so I have no idea how we could say they are hosed legally.

They don’t really have any counter argument with those emails.

But the worst that happens here is they’re ordered to pay some money that they find in the couch. Mostly likely they settle.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They don’t really have any counter argument with those emails.

But the worst that happens here is they’re ordered to pay some money that they find in the couch. Mostly likely they settle.

I literally do this for a living they likely have tons of arguments. First and foremost could be that the plain language of the contract allows them to do this and subsequent emails don’t mean poo poo.

I obviously don’t know without pulling up the complaint and relevant contract, but to say they are hosed based on details from a complaint which is designed to be one side of a dispute's persuasive basis for their claim is worthless, particularly without reading the contract at issue.

Edit: the fact that she sought to renegotiate might indicate that the contract doesn’t cover this or allows Disney to do what they did. Who knows.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 29, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Disney is not backing down

https://twitter.com/brooksbarnesnyt/status/1420851676572000266?s=10

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Disney's response is just pure bollocks. Trying to frame her suit as an act of disregard for those who died in the pandemic when they laid off loads of their staff while protecting executive salaries.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah she should get a cut of the money, but I also have a hard time feeling bad for her when she's already a mega millionaire.

Unless she wants to donate her extra 20 million dollars or something to Florence Pugh. Then I'm all for that.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's just the principle innit. In the same vein as the equal pay thing with Jennifer Lawrence. Sure Scarlett doesn't need the money, but they made a deal, and if Disney think they can gently caress over one of their highest profile employees/contractors then the tiniest ones don't have a chance. A public rebuke to them would be nothing but a good thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also helps this was Jo’s last film so it’s not like she’s fearing getting the boot by making noise ok this

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also helps this was Jo’s last film so it’s not like she’s fearing getting the boot by making noise ok this

Last Marvel film. She's suing Disney, who she is still lined up to do other films with. It was just announced like two or three days ago she was producing and starring in a Tower of Terror remake.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I literally do this for a living they likely have tons of arguments. First and foremost could be that the plain language of the contract allows them to do this and subsequent emails don’t mean poo poo.

I obviously don’t know without pulling up the complaint and relevant contract, but to say they are hosed based on details from a complaint which is designed to be one side of a dispute's persuasive basis for their claim is worthless, particularly without reading the contract at issue.

Edit: the fact that she sought to renegotiate might indicate that the contract doesn’t cover this or allows Disney to do what they did. Who knows.

You did see the quotation marks I used on 'hosed' right?

The damage is done from those emails. Disney's not going to come out of this looking good no matter what happens.

It's all about the first move. Hell people still think Johnny Depp's innocent.

That that sad appeal to the sympathies of the masses is their PR response says everything about their side of the argument.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah she should get a cut of the money, but I also have a hard time feeling bad for her when she's already a mega millionaire.

Unless she wants to donate her extra 20 million dollars or something to Florence Pugh. Then I'm all for that.

She's still the labor here.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

They would have needed the numbers to show her losses I guess.

There was still a chance it did normal box office numbers. A tiny one, but not impossible.

Black Widow had a really notably bad second weekend drop off for box office that has been raising some eyebrows in the industry as possible evidence that piracy resulting from day-and-date vod releases may be a bigger problem then anticipated (the trades have been running with this and some distributor bodies have said "we told you" and there's rumours that Disney themselves are reconsidering their strategy).

I'm guessing this is probably one of the angles being pushed in the dispute tbh, especially considering this got pushed to the trades like a days after all the post mortems got published

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 30, 2021

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

You did see the quotation marks I used on 'hosed' right?

You were responding to a post where I said they were hosed from a PR stand point but not from a legal standpoint. What are you talking about?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

if an MCU Secret Wars doesn't end with Miles Morales and an old cheeseburger I don't loving want it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

if an MCU Secret Wars doesn't end with Miles Morales and an old cheeseburger I don't loving want it

:same:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Digitally resurrected Robert Zdar as Juggernaut

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

how the hell do spider-suits have pockets on them

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

She's still the labor here.

I didn't say that I disagreed with her. I just... can't muster up enough shits to give on if she gets 40 million dollars or 50 million dollars.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

OnimaruXLR posted:

how the hell do spider-suits have pockets on them

Canonically we know Spider-Man has a small pocket of air inside his mask, so maybe Miles also does but it's for cheeseburgers.

Alternate answer: During the Ultimates run there was a brief period where Morales was assigned to keep an eye on a Reed Richards rather than just jailing that Richards, since he promised he could access the secret files of other, worse Reeds. Obviously if you spend any time along with a Reed they redesign your costume with unstable molecules so you can keep cheeseburgers in there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Supposedly, Korean actor Park Seo-Joon has officially joined the cast of The Marvels.

People are speculating that he's going to be Amadeus Cho, but if they actually were to use that character in the future, I would suspect they'd go with someone that has more of a presence in America and a little more tested and they could absolutely sign on for a multi-picture deal.

My first thought was Ki Hong Lee, and it turns out he actually voiced Amadeus Cho in a Spider-Man cartoon, so how about that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't say that I disagreed with her. I just... can't muster up enough shits to give on if she gets 40 million dollars or 50 million dollars.
ScarJo's said and done some dumbstruck things but at the end of the day stilling the lady that was long overdue a film isn't a good look

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Idgaf about Scarlett but there needs to be a precedent to protect actors and she has the money and high enough profile to do it to make a fuss against Disney's death squad. Hopefully she doesn't cop out and take a settlement (she will)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Contract disputes are by their nature over money, so of course money is what she deserves to get, it's not like anyone is going to jail over this or Disney stiffing the Star Wars authors.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It doesn't matter if we like the privileged racebender or not; if Disney is violating the terms of their agreement then ScarJo's absolutely entitled to make them pay for it. It's not as if someone is only entitled to fair treatment under contractual law if they're a likable person.

Unless I personally don't like you; then you don't deserve anything

And as others have mentioned, it's notable that Johannson is lucky enough to be able to do this. How many times has this sort of thing happened before to actors who didn't have her clout?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

And as others have mentioned, it's notable that Johannson is lucky enough to be able to do this. How many times has this sort of thing happened before to actors who didn't have her clout?
SpïnalTap's members famously sued because Hollywood Accounting said they weren't due any royalties or earnings.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

site posted:

Idgaf about Scarlett but there needs to be a precedent to protect actors and she has the money and high enough profile to do it to make a fuss against Disney's death squad. Hopefully she doesn't cop out and take a settlement (she will)

I'm still wary because of ScarJo's "I should play anything!" weird thing, but yeah, this is going to end with a settlement.

I do wonder if they are going to drop the D+ premiere experiment all together.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm still wary because of ScarJo's "I should play anything!" weird thing, but yeah, this is going to end with a settlement.

I do wonder if they are going to drop the D+ premiere experiment all together.

Isn't there no need for it if coronavirus goes away (hahahah)

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Shang-Chi is already theatres only isn’t it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

Black Widow had a really notably bad second weekend drop off for box office that has been raising some eyebrows in the industry as possible evidence that piracy resulting from day-and-date vod releases may be a bigger problem then anticipated (the trades have been running with this and some distributor bodies have said "we told you" and there's rumours that Disney themselves are reconsidering their strategy).

I'm guessing this is probably one of the angles being pushed in the dispute tbh, especially considering this got pushed to the trades like a days after all the post mortems got published

loving lol

Piracy was due to two factors, neither of which were day and date streaming release.

#1) There's still a goddamned pandemic on. Even vaccinated there was no loving way I was going to sit in a theater for 2 hours sharing air with the public.
#2) thirty loving dollars on top of a subscription I already pay for? For a RENTAL? gently caress you, mouse. I dropped thirty bucks on Bill & Ted, but I own that movie now. I dropped eight bucks on werewolves within, that's fair for a rental.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Sanschel posted:

Shang-Chi is already theatres only isn’t it?

I think that decision was made when it looked like the vaccine would have everything under control by the time it came out. With the number of people refusing to get vaccinated and the delta variant, that decision may change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BSS Movie thread: I consider Disney a villain to us all