Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did they ever do the highway airbase thing after the fall of the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

Did they ever do the highway airbase thing after the fall of the wall?

Based on semi-recent press, they progressively stopped doing the "combat-ready aircraft" thing after the fall of the wall so I'm guessing not so much.

Sweden still does it, at least.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not that I've seen, but I was 9 (at a USAFE A-10 base) when the wall came down.

They consolidated the USAFE A-10 footprint all into Germany and brought a lot of them home while we shuttered bases over the following decade, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was basically an old-timer's story by like 1994.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“He’s too close for missiles. I’m switching to guns.”

Shroud pops open. Broomstick emerges.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
My parents used to have a Rowenta toaster that said "Made in West Germany" and of course sensibly threw it away when it stopped working. What I wouldn't give to still have it in my kitchen, being maintained uneconomical repair after uneconomical repair :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

They used to do that training in west Germany, I guess they need to train the capability every once in a while?

Those highways were explicitly designed for it though.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

vessbot posted:

My parents used to have a Rowenta toaster that said "Made in West Germany" and of course sensibly threw it away when it stopped working. What I wouldn't give to still have it in my kitchen, being maintained uneconomical repair after uneconomical repair :(

I've got a P226 marked made in West Germany

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

rscott posted:

Michigan roads are more or less like landing on a gravel air strip

Please don't use our roads as runways, they absolutely can't take it :cry:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

Please don't use our roads as runways, they absolutely can't take it :cry:

“How the gently caress can a PCN be negative?!”

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

LO-loving-L at making a vaccine delivery with a giant Disney World/Star Wars advertisement, hooo boy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hellotoothpaste posted:

LO-loving-L at making a vaccine delivery with a giant Disney World/Star Wars advertisement, hooo boy

:patriot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hellotoothpaste posted:

The United States wholeheartedly embracing the well deserved Evil Galactic Empire branding is really great to watch.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

hellotoothpaste posted:

PT-MUA is a Brazilian registry, and that plane is operated by the South American carrier LATAM so :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

vessbot posted:

I had an industrial ISO bearing in box that said "Made in Occupied Germany"
I think it was an FAG. I have no idea where it got to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a weather station that was made in “Western Germany”.

You know, just the western part of Germany. Not like there’s any political division, hahaha.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Finnish Jerry?

https://twitter.com/itsmaggydude/status/1420745385425788936

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My summer plane

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

onezero posted:

Finnish Jerry?

Of course it’s from my favorite subreddit, WeirdWings.

More photos.

The Fun Police, protecting and serving

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 30, 2021

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bennyfactor posted:

PT-MUA is a Brazilian registry, and that plane is operated by the South American carrier LATAM so :shrug:

Indeed; my guess is that particular aircraft was next in the rotation of needing to be flown so it wasn't more expensive to keep it parked.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Charles posted:

My summer plane

"Voi vittujen kevät!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beef Of Ages posted:

Indeed; my guess is that particular aircraft was next in the rotation of needing to be flown so it wasn't more expensive to keep it parked.

Good ol’ Hobson’s choice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

If you look at the flight history it looks like it flew a regular revenue flight to JFK then hopped over to ORD to pick up the vaccines.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

I had to look up what a C-146 was and OH, MY GOD THE AIR FORCE HAS DOORKNOBS. When did this happen?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For anybody who's working on the "Covid infeactions lead to air rage" angle:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

I had to look up what a C-146 was and OH, MY GOD THE AIR FORCE HAS DOORKNOBS. When did this happen?

I guess they're old US regional airliners? https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/c-146a-wolfhound-transport-aircraft/

quote:

The C-146A Wolfhound is the military version of Dornier 328 airliner designed and built by Fairchild Dornier. Sierra Nevada Corporation was contracted to provide design, modification, integration, modernisation, test and certification for conversion of 17 Dornier 328 airliners for use by the US Military.

Germany-based 328 Group was awarded a four-year contract worth more than $200m to deliver spare parts and logistics support for the conversion in 2009. The 328 Group bought 15 of the aircraft from different sources, including those in Europe, America, and Africa, while the remaining two were directly acquired by Sierra Nevada.

The 328 Group delivered the 17th and final Dornier 328 turboprop to Sierra Nevada in July 2013.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The Dornier 328 is like the ATR's sexier cousin.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Charles posted:

Those highways were explicitly designed for it though.

It's probably not a true story, but when I was a kid there was a SAC bomber base an hour away and I was told that the Interstate near it had a section that was perfectly straight with no bridges crossing over it and much thicker pavement than normal. Of course, the base is gone now so even if that was the case 30 years ago it wouldn't have been kept that way

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's possible there were unofficial or classified things, but no money was ever designated for highway strips in the U.S., just ones adjacent to highways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_strip

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charles posted:

It's possible there were unofficial or classified things, but no money was ever designated for highway strips in the U.S., just ones adjacent to highways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_strip

A quick google search says that there are around 20 thousand currently active strips in the US. And who knows how many more abandoned overgrown concrete slabs that could still probably be pressed into emergency use in a day.

The planners likely looked around and anywhere they would want a a road to be an alternate landing strip there was something more useful within 30 miles.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lm9HdMGBss

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

25mile range??!?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean it's literally just a human-sized quadcopter with stub wings. Those things don't exactly have long legs.

It's a part 103 ultralight, so you can't operate it in any controlled airspace or over people or cities. Just another rich person's toy imo.

I am impressed that they're getting into serial production already. But then again it didn't require any certification or anything, so mass production is less like building a certified aircraft and more like making a kayak with a bunch of propellers on it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sagebrush posted:

a kayak with a bunch of propellers on it.

Kickstarter when?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.record-eagle.com/news/s...592d516d36.html

Seven crashes in seven days. Just every decision he made was wrong… including this one: This guy decided to talk to the news to give his side of the story.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero One posted:

Seven crashes in seven days. Just every decision he made was wrong… including this one: This guy decided to talk to the news to give his side of the story.

Not gonna read that, will get angry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That moron straight up doesn't get it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So he got a lemon and didn’t take umpteen hints to leave well enough alone and ship the drat thing? That about cover it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zero One posted:

quote:

Collier wanted to capture the experience while it was fresh in his mind so he wrote a first-person account, in case it had any motion picture potential.

I guess those AOPA accident case studies are technically motion pictures

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Zero One posted:

Fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

quote:

And the experience was so traumatic, he doesn't see himself piloting an airplane again.

At least he learned his lesson.

Eventually.