Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I still can't get over my Kanye MBDTF album.. the discs are so poorly pressed there is a ~50g or so iirc difference between records. It's a noticible enough difference that I actually noticed just by hand and had to weigh them to confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/lightintheattic/status/1420523111368171524

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've been waiting over three weeks for my OMC How Bizarre single and I am not very happy.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Finally grabbed a copy of Hot Rats today. Now that I have completed my Zappa trifecta (Hot Rats, Chungas Revenge and Weasels Ripped My Flesh) I no longer have a reason to flip through his section at the record stores.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I gently caress with the hair but that handlebar gotta go

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I gently caress with the hair but that handlebar gotta go

It's gonna be called the Shut the gently caress Up label and you're headlining

... aaand that's the sum total of my knowledge of Limp Bizquiat

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

Finally grabbed a copy of Hot Rats today. Now that I have completed my Zappa trifecta (Hot Rats, Chungas Revenge and Weasels Ripped My Flesh) I no longer have a reason to flip through his section at the record stores.

Studio Tan

... aaaand that cat's up to somethin'

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

Those are all good albums, but Waka/Jawaka, Over-Nite Sensation, and One Size Fits All would like to have a word :colbert:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Those are all good albums, but Waka/Jawaka, Over-Nite Sensation, and One Size Fits All would like to have a word :colbert:

I enjoyed those albums (have two copies of over-nite sensation somewhere) but the three I mentioned are my personal favorite and I've been long out of my Zappa phase.

Now that I think about it I would like a copy of Lumpy Gravy tho.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

petit choux posted:

Studio Tan

... aaaand that cat's up to somethin'

He's mad I won't track down a copy of Bongo Fury.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

petit choux posted:

It's gonna be called the Shut the gently caress Up label and you're headlining

... aaand that's the sum total of my knowledge of Limp Bizquiat

Here's my Fred Durst knowledge: he's from my hometown and one summer (probably 2004ish) I was working at a Lowe's there as a cashier in the lumber section. A hurricane was coming in so things were hopping and I was trying to get everyone through so I could close up and head home before poo poo got bad on the bridge.

This guy saunters up to my register with like a single sheet of plywood and just immediately says "you know, my *son* blah blah [pregnant pause]... I'm Fred Durst's dad." I don't think I could've possibly given him a more nonplussed look, but he kept going and held up the line (I at least got him to move to the side after a minute or so) telling me dumb stories about his son. After ignoring him for a solid 5 minutes he finally left.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I hope you told him to

:haw:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

I hope you told him to

Lol

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I hope you told him to

Hahaha goddamn what a missed opportunity.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So in the last couple months of digging at Savers they've had what's obviously a DJ's collection slowly rolling out. Not much of interest. Lots of house and techno. Today I found a copy of the Demon Knight soundtrack and a copy of Beats, Rhymes, and Life by A Tribe Called Quest. Admittedly hip hop has never really been my area but for four bucks you can't really go wrong and worst case scenario it's got some decent value and I can sell it. There was a bunch of hip hop 12" singles but I didn't recognize any of the artists. There's also this boomer I see in there a lot started going on a Trump rant and parroting a bunch of Tucker Carlson bullshit which I didn't engage because why bother but then I had to throw in the towel and walk off after telling him in so many words that he has no idea what he's talking about. He was going on about "all the people they're letting in from the border" so I pointed out to him that as soon as Biden took office he opened up more camps and started rounding people up so he just ignored that ans said "They let two million people in!" I couldn't take anymore so I just said "Prove it and walked away." as I was leaving I could hear him whining to some other poor soul. So I have that to look forward to! But I still had some good finds so I can't complain about that. But god I'm so sick of chuds insisting on telling everyone they come across about how much they love Trump. gently caress off.

CaptainBeefart posted:

We're Only in it For the Money is a goddamn masterpiece!

marjorie posted:

Here's my Fred Durst knowledge: he's from my hometown and one summer (probably 2004ish) I was working at a Lowe's there as a cashier in the lumber section. A hurricane was coming in so things were hopping and I was trying to get everyone through so I could close up and head home before poo poo got bad on the bridge.

This guy saunters up to my register with like a single sheet of plywood and just immediately says "you know, my *son* blah blah [pregnant pause]... I'm Fred Durst's dad." I don't think I could've possibly given him a more nonplussed look, but he kept going and held up the line (I at least got him to move to the side after a minute or so) telling me dumb stories about his son. After ignoring him for a solid 5 minutes he finally left.

You should have said "I think you better quit, let that poo poo slip OR YOU'LL BE LEAVIN' WITH A FAT LIP!".

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

So in the last couple months of digging at Savers they've had what's obviously a DJ's collection slowly rolling out. Not much of interest. Lots of house and techno. Today I found a copy of the Demon Knight soundtrack and a copy of Beats, Rhymes, and Life by A Tribe Called Quest. Admittedly hip hop has never really been my area but for four bucks you can't really go wrong and worst case scenario it's got some decent value and I can sell it. There was a bunch of hip hop 12" singles but I didn't recognize any of the artists. There's also this boomer I see in there a lot started going on a Trump rant and parroting a bunch of Tucker Carlson bullshit which I didn't engage because why bother but then I had to throw in the towel and walk off after telling him in so many words that he has no idea what he's talking about. He was going on about "all the people they're letting in from the border" so I pointed out to him that as soon as Biden took office he opened up more camps and started rounding people up so he just ignored that ans said "They let two million people in!" I couldn't take anymore so I just said "Prove it and walked away." as I was leaving I could hear him whining to some other poor soul. So I have that to look forward to! But I still had some good finds so I can't complain about that. But god I'm so sick of chuds insisting on telling everyone they come across about how much they love Trump. gently caress off.

I think the saddest thing at the end of the day is that these people are just exceptionally lonely and have found community online, but it still isnt a substitute for the real thing and they so badly want to have real human connection, but have zero clue that their reprehensible views are so villified and wrong that they have no ability to connect to non-chuds both online and in the real world. that's the only sad thing about them.

I started pricing copies of Limp Bizkit's 'Significant Other' now but they are all ridiculously priced. Even the one that is apparently the worst sounding one (the 2017 reissue). oh well.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I picked Break Stuff at karaoke one time. Sometimes I wake up at 3 AM and that memory permeates my thoughts.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dantheman650 posted:

I picked Break Stuff at karaoke one time. Sometimes I wake up at 3 AM and that memory permeates my thoughts.

I don't think you can just leave it at that. Deets we need deets.

For without them what is a man but a rope in the wind

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I think the saddest thing at the end of the day is that these people are just exceptionally lonely and have found community online, but it still isnt a substitute for the real thing and they so badly want to have real human connection, but have zero clue that their reprehensible views are so villified and wrong that they have no ability to connect to non-chuds both online and in the real world. that's the only sad thing about them.

I started pricing copies of Limp Bizkit's 'Significant Other' now but they are all ridiculously priced. Even the one that is apparently the worst sounding one (the 2017 reissue). oh well.

Maybe if they had enough insight into themselves and the poo poo they go around spewing they could understand why they're lonely. This guy was even talking about how he just cuts out anyone who doesn't agree with that garbage. Straight up saying "Even if they're family.". Dying alone to own the libs. I guess what he means to say is,

Your best bet's just to stay away, MOTHER FUCKER!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

dantheman650 posted:

I also did this as my first song one time and completely blew out my voice. Worth it.

Listen if you're not making a fool of yourself at karaoke you're doing it wrong.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the last karaoke place I was at, they had hangar 18 and I could only get through the first verse before cracking up at how goofy my mustaine-whine was. thankfully it was private-room style, i don't think I'd have the gumption to try that in like a full on karaoke bar in front of strangers

in vinyl news, I think I need to get rid of some stuff. I've still got room for more, but that's starting to run down a bit, and basically I need to start deciding about records where I doubt I'm going to listen to them regularly, but they're still nice to have

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

the last karaoke place I was at, they had hangar 18 and I could only get through the first verse before cracking up at how goofy my mustaine-whine was. thankfully it was private-room style, i don't think I'd have the gumption to try that in like a full on karaoke bar in front of strangers

in vinyl news, I think I need to get rid of some stuff. I've still got room for more, but that's starting to run down a bit, and basically I need to start deciding about records where I doubt I'm going to listen to them regularly, but they're still nice to have

Sell it on SA Mart.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

You should have said "I think you better quit, let that poo poo slip OR YOU'LL BE LEAVIN' WITH A FAT LIP!".

If only I'd known how much of a treasure trove Limp Bizkit lyrics were for telling people off. Ok reading that back I probably should've known that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

If only I'd known how much of a treasure trove Limp Bizkit lyrics were for telling people off. Ok reading that back I probably should've known that.

My sister and I reference the lyrics to Break Stuff all the time. The band is just the perfect amount of lame to have lots and lots of unintentionally hilarious lyrics.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Sell it on SA Mart.

maybe. tbh, the vast majority of the stuff I'd be ditching is worth less than the shipping costs

edit: got my frances shipping notification

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 30, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

I'm at the same point with both vinyl and CDs hence the epic sort. I got a whole raft of stuff I'm excited about coming in the mail and I gotta make room. This leads to to questions like do I need Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me, Yngwie Malmsteen, two copies of Barry Manilow Live, Leif Garrett, Aerosmith, Quadrophenia, two versions of Tommy, and I still haven't gotten to listening to Rusty Warren. I find I have the most trouble getting rid of it when it's a famous group and a super well regarded album of theirs that I just don't like all that much.

edit: I was thumbing through my discogs for what albums I should review next and lol apparently the 2012 repress of Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites EP is going for like 80 bucks. That one is staying though because I unironically like the song Rock and Roll Will Take You to the Mountain because I am a silly person.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 30, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bought Fleet Foxes 2008 self-titled (special edition!) from a goon:

Also I found this at Goodwill the other day (apologies for the glare). gently caress YEAH.

Laura Branigan (1982)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bought Fleet Foxes 2008 self-titled (special edition!) from a goon:

Also I found this at Goodwill the other day (apologies for the glare). gently caress YEAH.

Laura Branigan (1982)

Hells yeah

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got three records at the Goodwill today. I'm quite annoyed that mine charges $2 each now.

(Black vinyl, if you were wondering)

I bought this one just for the cover, honestly.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Got three records at the Goodwill today. I'm quite annoyed that mine charges $2 each now.

Billy Vaughn getting pretty risque there. Dig the futura sans font.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

My goodwill has been charging $4.99 for years. Might be more now I haven't bothered checking a goodwill in a while

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

wa27 posted:

Tried to find Billy's cover on Spotify, but it's not there. It's impressive how many people have covered that song.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:getin:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Samsquamsch posted:

Tried to find Billy's cover on Spotify, but it's not there. It's impressive how many people have covered that song.

The rock and roll era was when our obsession with original content really took off. It wasn't enough that somebody be a singer doing other people's songs for my generation. They could be mediocre as poo poo so long as it was original material. "Standards" that everybody who was anybody knew almost died out.

But I hate that song. Of all the songs that my mum used to play on her acoustic when I was a little boy, it was my least favorite. Our dentist had dental-themed oil paintings in his office and one of them was of Don Quixote as a pair of dental pliers charging at windmills made of various other dental equipment, and so I have "the windmills of your mind" stuck to memories of visits to the dentist.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 30, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

petit choux posted:

But I hate that song. Of all the songs that my mum used to play on her acoustic when I was a little boy, it was my least favorite. Our dentist had dental-themed oil paintings in his office and one of them was of Don Quixote as a pair of dental pliers charging at windmills made of various other dental equipment, and so I have "the windmills of your mind" stuck to memories of visits to the dentist.

I need this painting

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

I need this painting

I've also always had pretty good memory for intonation and chords and as a child I'd hear the line "the windmills of your mind," basically in Em or thereabouts and superimpose the Scooby Doo spooky segue, also in Em, onto it in my head, which at the time seemed fitting. I still hear the Scooby Doo spooky segue at the end of that line every time, can't seem to stop it, so I'd just rather not listen to it altogether.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Finally listened to my replacement garth brooks box, and album by the third track on the first album there was already a skip that it wouldn't move past again, and the 4th track had one it took probably 4 skips to work past.

Seriously, to continue the thread, modern pressings appear to just be poo poo. Think I need to send it back. Again.

Edit.
Aaaand the 5th track (his largest hit). "I told you that ho...I told you that ho...I told you that ho" gently caress.

Edit again:
Aaaand Amazon is saying they can't replace it. Despite it being in stock. Wtf.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 30, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Finally listened to my replacement garth brooks box, and album by the third track on the first album there was already a skip that it wouldn't move past again, and the 4th track had one it took probably 4 skips to work past.

Seriously, to continue the thread, modern pressings appear to just be poo poo. Think I need to send it back. Again.

Edit.
Aaaand the 5th track (his largest hit). "I told you that ho...I told you that ho...I told you that ho" gently caress.

Edit again:
Aaaand Amazon is saying they can't replace it. Despite it being in stock. Wtf.

That's why you should have bought a few spares.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Talked to a human and they are sending a replacement. Happened on both of the LPs I listened to from the combo set. Going to listen to some of the digital remaster ones to see wtf.

No wonder they were unloading these by the dump truck full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't be wasting my time replacing any LPs from that Garth set.