Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

I also crapped out of playing Cave Story when I got to the part of the game that felt like a challenge mod and just accepted a bad ending, but I won't have to do that here unless the end boss of this path is that bad

nothing on the standard good-end path comes close to that

the later pantheons can be difficult for the same reason Ballos was, by the time you reach the later phases your nerves are so shot you're likely to gently caress up from sheer exhaustion, but the endbosses and even bonus bosses like Grimm are just about learning patterns and getting hits in like everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

loquacius posted:

I mean I skipped Darker Side in Mario Odyssey and just watched a YouTube run, but (a) that was harder than White Palace, and (b) I don't think it actually unlocked any further content, bc it was the further content

I skipped Pantheon 5 and will almost certainly never actually get the Godseeker ending as such, but I'm not torn up about it because I don't think it's somehow illegitimate (or even just, like, aesthetically unpleasant) for a game to make the narrative depend on your ability to pursue it

loquacius posted:

I also crapped out of playing Cave Story when I got to the part of the game that felt like a challenge mod and just accepted a bad ending, but I won't have to do that here unless the end boss of this path is that bad

nothing outside of Godseeker / Path of Pain is as hard as the Cave Story postgame, and frankly probably not even those

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

loquacius posted:

Never beating Hell is the gaming failure that still haunts me all these years later

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beating Hell in Cave Story is my proudest high school gaming accomplishment.

edit: the music just started playing in my head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I beat hell on kbam and will never understand how

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:same:

on a laptop

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Having just finished a second playthrough of this game, the White Palace was a little more difficult than I remember but also a fair amount shorter than I remember. If you are observant and have good pogo skills you can do a few skips here and there, but you might not notice any of them your first time through.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I did White Palace while having a minion build which was the stupidest thing I could've done and I still made it.

It did take a lot of attempts though... I don't blame anyone for getting mad at it and wanting to give up because I've had a number of those experiences myself with this game.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I lost a steel soul run to the stupid trap room heading to Isma’s Tear. Completely blanked that there was one there. Oops.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I did White Palace while having a minion build which was the stupidest thing I could've done and I still made it.

It did take a lot of attempts though... I don't blame anyone for getting mad at it and wanting to give up because I've had a number of those experiences myself with this game.

I mean

You knew there were benches in the white palace, right? You can change builds partway through if yours isn't working for you

I started my run off with my stalwart/quickfocus/crest/spore build for bosses and changed when that turned out to be useless

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

loquacius posted:

I mean

You knew there were benches in the white palace, right? You can change builds partway through if yours isn't working for you

I started my run off with my stalwart/quickfocus/crest/spore build for bosses and changed when that turned out to be useless

I did, but I had more trouble with the buzzsaws and spikes than I did with the Wingmould jumping sections, to be honest. There was one towards the end I think that gave me some trouble, but by that point the last bench was half a map away. Plus, I didn't know if there was going to be a fight at the end and I was still running minion build pretty heavily, which I've moved past by this point.

I'm just stubborn, which is why it's only a matter of time until I beat the Pantheon of Hallownest.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I needed the Hiveblood charm to beat the palace. :(

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

JordanKai posted:

I needed the Hiveblood charm to beat the palace. :(

I used it too, but people mentioning the Deep Focus charm makes more sense.

I have 3 achievements left, both steel souls and Pantheon of Hallownest. I guess I'm going in. I think I'll go for Pantheon first because I still died a couple times in my speedrun attempts.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Holy poo poo guys I have killed the loving Hollow Knight so many times tonight

Radiance is hard enough without having to fight Hollow Knight again every single time, even if I am beating him without breaking a sweat by now it's still a huge hassle to have to re-kill him every time I want to try again

I'm going with a Quick Focus / thorns / stalwart shell build for the first part, then Shaman Stone / Spell Twister combo for the second part (with Howling Wraiths), and I think I must be making progress, but I cannot win this damage race, the double-damage in part 2 is killing me. I don't really have the notches to add anything else in, but if there's some obvious strategy I'm missing I wouldn't mind a tip.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Because you get a full heal at the transition you can be very aggressive against the first fight. You can't win a straight up damage race, but there's plenty of room to be reckless.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh yeah already taking full advantage there, I even swapped out Grubsong so I could fit in Spell Twister and am straight-up just not healing myself past half health no matter how much time Hollow Knight wastes on self-harm so I can enter part 2 with ad much Soul as possible

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

loquacius posted:

I'm going with a Quick Focus / thorns / stalwart shell build for the first part, then Shaman Stone / Spell Twister combo for the second part (with Howling Wraiths), and I think I must be making progress, but I cannot win this damage race, the double-damage in part 2 is killing me. I don't really have the notches to add anything else in, but if there's some obvious strategy I'm missing I wouldn't mind a tip.

Radiance is split into 5 different parts:
Part 1: Initial solid ground
Part 2: Spikes on one half of the ground
Part 3: Spikes on both sides of the ground
Part 4: Platforms
Part 5: The Climb

Part 1 / Part 3 are the easiest to dodge, try to figure out the patterns for those 2 parts so that you can conserve soul. Part 2 and Part 4 are the killers, those are the parts you spam Howling Wraith on.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Step 1: Bapanada

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Martman posted:

Step 1: Bapanada

This game has wonderful sound design in general, but the little voice-work in it is really something, I immediately heard that in my head when I read it :allears:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
You're probably at the point now where you can think entirely about your build to fight Radiance now that you're cruising through the Knight. I also had a lot of trouble and got to the point where I wasn't even getting hit by him in my last several attempts. One of the things I did was dedicate a couple runs to just practicing dodging everything in phase 2 and 3, without even trying to attack. One of the most important things to get down is bouncing on the spikes--there are going to be times, especially in phase 3, when you're going to have to jump, bounce, dash through something (like her big wall of light thing), bounce again, and then land. It takes some practice, so don't be afraid to actually practice. I'm not sure if I remember what I settled on for my final loadout, but I remember trying to see if there was any space for healing with Quick Focus, and there just isn't after phase 2, even with it sped up. So keep yourself topped off early, then use your soul to unload on her as soon as the spikes start coming out on both sides.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i’m confused since when can you change charms between those fights

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Radiance is a real beast. I had more trouble with that than with NKG or Prince Zote. Including a death right at the climb part :argh: Got it eventually, though. As others have said, the Hollow Knight is mostly a breeze after a while.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

b_d posted:

i’m confused since when can you change charms between those fights

You can't, I have to make room for both builds in one

Quick Focus would probably be the logical next thing to go so I could work in Grubsong and Soul Catcher I guess, that just requires a lot of confidence in my ability to get through fight 1 without needing it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you are confident that you can get through HK with Fragile Strength consistently, you can abuse that since Radiance is a dream fight.

I personally went all in on DPS (so Quick Slash, Fragile/Unbreakable Strength, etc.) and accepted I was going to have no time for healing so paired it with stuff like Joni's Blessing since that too is reset for the second part. Anything to get through the first fight ASAP to get back to the grind with the real deal.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Quick slash was what did it for me. My first few attempts were frustrating because radiance was just a big ol bag of health and I'd eventually get cornered or gently caress up often enough that I'd die. Quick slash was what gave me enough damage output to get through quickly enough to not gently caress up and die.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

If you are confident that you can get through HK with Fragile Strength consistently, you can abuse that since Radiance is a dream fight.

So, it was a long time ago and I might have misremembered, but I'm pretty sure I tried that and it broke. I may have even made a post somewhere in this thread about how I think that's intentional, that there's something different in what's being done at that last fight than what's going on in the boss re-fights.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The fragile charms do break on radiance, yes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I might be thinking of NKG where I abused that but it certainly is a big help if you can afford the upgrade to Unbreakable.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

bike tory posted:

The fragile charms do break on radiance, yes

As evidenced by what happens at the end of the fight, my guess is that the Knight is bringing quite a bit more of itself/themself into the Dream to challenge the Radiance than the normal re-fights.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yah when you lose you also don't just wake up in the HK room like in regular dream fights.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't really like making GBS threads up threads with flagrant advertising, but I do think that the LP I'm running has actually turned into something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxUd5sLTyhU

Is the episode that I think goes beyond what one might expect.

And this is the LP thread if you want a look from the beginning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
At first I thought you were playing blind (without looking) and not blind (without having spoilers) and I was like man, what the gently caress

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There are still plenty of what the gently caress moments in that run. Absurd number of first try wins on bosses and stuff.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I finally beat the Pantheon of Hallownest today. After losing a bunch of attempts between (late/post-game boss spoiler) Zote, Nightmare King Grimm and Failed Champ of all things I decided to knuckle down and practice the poo poo out of some bosses yesterday. I managed to do radiant NKG in practice unexpectedly so figured I was probably ready for some more attempts.

Today I managed to get to (and promptly lose to) the last fight in the pantheon, but at least that opens up the practice room for them. After practicing for a couple of hours, I finished the pantheon on my next try without ever coming close to death. Feeling pretty good about it.

I doubt I'll do the bindings, it just seems like it would take too much time.

That was the last of the achievements, aside from leaving Zote to die, but I've got my priorities straight so that one will forever remain unobtained.

I've been messing about with the randomizer a lot lately too, it's fun. The latest version lets you randomize the different directions for all of your nail, dash and wall cling, as well as randomizing swimming in normal water as well as acid separately. Between that, random charm notch costs, randomizing focus (!) and random start locations, the early games have been a lot of fun but pretty ridiculous at times. I just started one game right outside of Brooding Mawlek with no way around fighting him right off the bat, where I had no focus, spells or nail directions other than down. I got pretty okay at pogoing him to death.

Also Nat20's LP has been a lot of fun to watch, although I'm like ten episodes behind. It was the inspiration behind why I started grinding the pantheon of hallownest again.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hobojim posted:

That was the last of the achievements, aside from leaving Zote to die, but I've got my priorities straight so that one will forever remain unobtained.

I feel assaulted :( I have that achievement!

I'm nowhere near your other achievements though, so maybe you're right and I'm the fool of this trial.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 9, 2021

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Do you still have to downgrade your version of HK to use the randomizer? I'd like to try it but that part is putting me off.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hobojim posted:

I finally beat the Pantheon of Hallownest today. After losing a bunch of attempts between (late/post-game boss spoiler) Zote, Nightmare King Grimm and Failed Champ of all things I decided to knuckle down and practice the poo poo out of some bosses yesterday. I managed to do radiant NKG in practice unexpectedly so figured I was probably ready for some more attempts.

Today I managed to get to (and promptly lose to) the last fight in the pantheon, but at least that opens up the practice room for them. After practicing for a couple of hours, I finished the pantheon on my next try without ever coming close to death. Feeling pretty good about it.

great job. i'm especially impressed you beat absolute radiance with just a couple hours of practice and didn't even come close to dying. my consistency on that fight was rear end and i was at 1hp when i beat it.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Do you still have to downgrade your version of HK to use the randomizer? I'd like to try it but that part is putting me off.

You do, but on steam it's super easy to do. Just go into betas in the steam menu and pick 1.4.1.2, it takes about three seconds. The mod installer for hollow knight makes the rest of it absurdly easy too, easiest game to mod I've come across.

b_d posted:

great job. i'm especially impressed you beat absolute radiance with just a couple hours of practice and didn't even come close to dying. my consistency on that fight was rear end and i was at 1hp when i beat it.

Thanks! I was practicing him on ascended difficulty in the hall of gods and couldn't quite get it done, but in the actual fight I got some really lucky spawns on the platform section so it went quick. I only took one hit during the pantheon fight, aside from two lucky carefree melody activations. I guess it would have been closer without that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Has there been any news about Silk Song at all in the last few months? I was paying attention last year but it all seems to have gone completely dead and Googling finds basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Has there been any news about Silk Song at all in the last few months? I was paying attention last year but it all seems to have gone completely dead and Googling finds basically nothing.
They decided to shift gears and it's gonna be a battle royale gacha game.