Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there supposed to be some kind of downside to the DNA scrambler gun hidden in the first level? It seems to be ridiculously good at killing everything except (I assume) mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

Is there supposed to be some kind of downside to the DNA scrambler gun hidden in the first level? It seems to be ridiculously good at killing everything except (I assume) mechs.

it can't hurt armored enemies and it has a chance of killing you in close quarters due to its victims' rapid, er, expansion. beyond that it's as good as it looks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Holy poo poo it feels so good to realise you know a level well enough to fly through the whole thing in under a minute. Under 20 seconds, for Sin Space Engineering.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Dabir posted:

Low ammo is another downside to it

I haven't cared what 4chan had to say about videogames since 2011 but I find it humorous that CS is highly controversial on /v/

Bullfrog fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 26, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I tend to forget ammo count is a thing because the ammo gland exists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dabir posted:

Holy poo poo it feels so good to realise you know a level well enough to fly through the whole thing in under a minute. Under 20 seconds, for Sin Space Engineering.

That level is great because you can take out the objective without moving. I think my time is under 10 seconds.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is rank purely based on time, or do civilians/enemies count for it as well? And what are each of the different timers counting? I know there's one for cursed and one for regular but getting divine light back didn't seem to count me on a different timer from when I didn't have it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I had to look that up since I had 3 on a single level and couldn't figure out why. Turns out the other 2 ranks are for normal and cursed but only starting with the default pistol and smg loadout. Not sure about civilians.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

Is rank purely based on time, or do civilians/enemies count for it as well? And what are each of the different timers counting? I know there's one for cursed and one for regular but getting divine light back didn't seem to count me on a different timer from when I didn't have it.

Punishment, perhaps?

drat, nope, just lights up the green skill thing.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 26, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dabir posted:

Rank is based on time. One time is for beating the level any way you want the other is beating it with the default loadout.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there any kind of reward tied to getting all S ranks, or is it just for the satisfaction? Either way, I might go for it on a few.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dabir posted:

Is there any kind of reward tied to getting all S ranks, or is it just for the satisfaction? Either way, I might go for it on a few.
Just for the satisfaction, and there is one stage in particular that it doesn't seem possible to get higher than C rank on atm.

Edit: And I want to point out that "Default Loadout" only means weapons, you can still use whatever augments you want.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

I tend to forget ammo count is a thing because the ammo gland exists.

but you can't swing from your extra intestine if you have an ammo gland, it's a real dilemma

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Local man murders landlords, swings past police force like a deranged Tarzan.

I love the Grappendix, it can let you get some pretty ridiculous times.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't need it if you're jumping a hundred feet in the air
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612vs5bMc3U

this game kicks so much rear end

manero
Jan 30, 2006

You can really build up some ridiculous speed once you figure out the bunny hopping physics, and get the midrange high jump and the biothruster. Particularly on Sin Space and Paradise

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

After dozens of failed attempts, I got a 1:35.x on cursed Paradise which was enough for the default loadout S, but only got an A for any loadout. How much time do I need to shave off for the S? Would it just be a matter of getting back to the exit fast enough?

Dabir fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 26, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just found the alternate exit to Androgen Assault by grappling over the top of the front wall and swinging around out of bounds looking at the corridors from the outside. This game owns.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So power in misery is automatic? I kept trying to get a gun in androgen assault and falling down a hole and it put me on it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, four deaths in a row on Flesh Automaton puts you on Power In Misery.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Any Goons LPd or streamed this yet? I'm a bit broke at the moment and want to vicariously experience the madness, and on top of that as much as the gameplay is so much 'this game was made for me' I kind of want to see a level or two played ~for reals~ because I'm still not sure I have it in me to overcome the assault on the senses that is the graphics. Like the fonts especially seem almost like a breaking point for me.

EDIT: Actually, ehhh, considering the dev's twitter has them sharing wojacks, pepes, and literal 4chan screenshots, not sure I'm comfortable giving them money.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 29, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

Yeah, four deaths in a row on Flesh Automaton puts you on Power In Misery.

Are you stuck on it?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

Are you stuck on it?

There's a few very obtuse ways to get out of it, but then also one incredibly simple way that's basically handed to you at the end of the game you can just redo any time you want that takes like five seconds

the obtuse method, also, being hinted to you in the same room as you get the free method so it's mostly a lategame/metaknowledge thing

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 30, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's really no disadvantage to being in Power In Misery compared to Flesh Automaton.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Any Goons LPd or streamed this yet? I'm a bit broke at the moment and want to vicariously experience the madness, and on top of that as much as the gameplay is so much 'this game was made for me' I kind of want to see a level or two played ~for reals~ because I'm still not sure I have it in me to overcome the assault on the senses that is the graphics. Like the fonts especially seem almost like a breaking point for me.

EDIT: Actually, ehhh, considering the dev's twitter has them sharing wojacks, pepes, and literal 4chan screenshots, not sure I'm comfortable giving them money.

the dev is Extremely Online but isn't some sort of alt-right chud or anything despite posting a screenshot of a 4chan post saying something ridiculous about his game & posting some memes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

lol

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

and literal 4chan screenshots

the one where he calls them obsessed?
https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1419383275148152843/

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah, the 4chan post is less damning to me than the memes. But eh. Might still get the game, just a bit wary.

I'm Jewish. I have loved ones that are trans. I generally have a low tolerance for people who let me know that they visit and signal boost a website that wants me and my loved ones dead for the crime of existing.

I'm not sure what's so 'lol' worthy about not feeling comfortable giving money to someone who if nothing else has made it known to me they are comfortable hanging around people who want me dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your reaction was silly it's why I lolled. Normal people use wojacks and poo poo. It's clear from the game's content and from our reaction to the creator and the game he isn't some alt-right guy. Like 75 percent of my posts are in a thread devoted to mocking those people I think one of us would've pointed it out already.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
We'll agree to disagree.

Point still stands, anyone got a good video of some lengthy unedited gameplay? Like I said, the gameplay is so very much my thing, but the aesthetics and especially the horrible and unreadable fonts seem like they might be insurmountable hurdles for me.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

There are tons of no-commentary gameplay videos on youtube

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We'll agree to disagree.

Point still stands, anyone got a good video of some lengthy unedited gameplay? Like I said, the gameplay is so very much my thing, but the aesthetics and especially the horrible and unreadable fonts seem like they might be insurmountable hurdles for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyH36ZQzwI

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Awesome, thanks!

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

manero posted:

There are tons of no-commentary gameplay videos on youtube

the goon way will always be opinion over research

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Though I can appreciate the competency, labor, and obvious aesthetic differentiation the developer was going for, it just comes down to whether its fun or not. For me, I find it a bit too obtuse, a bit too challenging artificially so, and akin to rubbing salt in a wound and generally not super entertaing to repeat missions dozens of times because of a slight error or taking too much damage to get through the rest of it alive. The general design reeks of a "Rainbow Six" homage, but also features many of the modern inventions brought to us by Quake and Quake 2 i.e. rocket jumping, bunny hopping, etc.. So when they categorize this as some sort of "tactical immersive shooter" I often think its more of a joke that enough people have taken seriously to stick. Though headshots generally kill targets instantly, some enemies are giant bullet sponges and all of them hit like a truck in terms of damage per second. This means you'll be dead before you can even react on the games regular difficulty. Die enough times and the difficutly drops to literally baby mode, which is extremely vexing when you are just trying to figure out a level, but even more vexing due to the unexplained methodology of restoring the difficulty or raising it in-game. You can select "punishment" before a mission, winning a mission with punishment selected will restore the difficulty, but die again and its instantly lost. I myself did not think it was tactical for a mission to drop twenty flesh rats (incredibly tiny hit-box toxic rat creatures that cause your camera to sway back and forth) out of nowhere. I also don't find the upgrade systems intuitive, most of the in fact are straight up jokes or things that don't help you at all. Some missions are made extremely hard by just not having certain upgrades early on, which is why no speedruns exist that don't feature all of the good upgrades for getting through missions incredibly quickly. You don't unlock guns either, you have a two weapon slot system (which I'm sure was some sort of ironic joke as well) and in order to get more guns, you have to find them in the level or pick them, then finish the level without getting killed. There is also a fishing mini-game, which is.. strange and doesn't really fit the tone of the game. You can also play the stock market in order to afford stuff like "a house" which is in itself another secret. Honestly, the level design has its merits, but those aren't until you have a very firm understanding of how to play through them pre-upgrade versus post-upgrade because they are entirely different methods. This game burnt me out. It left me feeling like I missed out on something very briefly, then I realized how inconsequential it is whether I liked it or not, and how it actually may reflect the state of the industry more than anything else. Here is this ugly game, with mostly solid gameplay, but its confusing, odd, the AI sucks, the enemies all have hit-scan weapons, it has a two weapon limit, the levels are small mazes, the color scheme, effects and interface all make it more difficult to comprehend what is going on. It literally exists to push people away from it- so I guess overall it deserves a certain amount of respect. This game has an entire wiki page just made just so people can understand what anything is or how anything works, which is just ridiculous. Their is actually a secret that requires you to change your in-game graphics resolution, but how would anyone figure that out on their own? The discord server. That's where. People who have owned it since it was in early access basically tell you how to get through missions properly or where all the shortcuts are- that is not a sign of a good game- that's a sign of a cult. I do not recommend a game like "Cruelty Squad" unless you are gullible or think indie retro throwback shooters like "DUSK" are where first person shooters are going. I got more hours of enjoyment out of something like "Mount & Blade" which coincedentally "Cruelty Squad" looks worse than and I don't even like RPG's.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

quote:

The general design reeks of a "Rainbow Six" homage, but also features many of the modern inventions brought to us by Quake and Quake 2 i.e. rocket jumping, bunny hopping, etc..

:psyduck:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you want to see gameplay, I've been uploading my S-rank runs, mainly on Hope Eradicated difficulty. I tend to use late game unlockable implants though, so the gameplay looks very different from how it will on first runs of stages.

For a very spoiler-y example: Seaside Shock with default weapons on the secret Hope Eradicated difficulty, with the environment changes from having got the second ending in Cruelty Squad HQ. Only two of the implants I use are available to buy from the start, the other two are very hidden in very lategame levels.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

My favorite part is "how could anyone possibly figure this out without going to out of game sources?" about a thing that is clearly stated in NPC dialogue.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
clearly the most optimal way to play cruelty squad is to throw it on a usb and play it on friends, families and public computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Booty Pageant posted:

clearly the most optimal way to play cruelty squad is to throw it on a usb and play it on friends, families and public computers

the most optimal way to play cruelty squad is to inject jenkem into your cockhole