Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Why make a Shadowrun movie where the protagonists are fuckin cops

Netflix is an op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DarkSol posted:

People don't like Hudson Hawk? :confused:

Yes. and these people are wrong

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like I'm one of the select few that will be looking forward to this. I bet it gets no budget and the ocean life feels more like a pool life

I'll watch it too, it will be just so weird I must watch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Basebf555 posted:

Including Die Hard 5 is a cheat because maybe it was planned as a crossover but that's not the same thing as the others that started life as something that had nothing to do with Die Hard.

And 5 is the only one that's bad. All of the others are varying degrees of good to great.
Four sucked, I didn't even bother with 5

The rest are good although the series obviously peaked with the original and slowly goes down in quality

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The rest are good although the series obviously peaked with the original and slowly goes down in quality
Even 4 had good bits amidst the dross, like Car Vs Helicopter or the Maggie Q fight. 5 though has no redeeming features whatsoever. It's bewilderingly bad. McClane is so uncaringly indestructible he may as well have been played by Roger Rabbit.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, looking back parts of 4 are at least kind of fun even if the movie's bad overall, there's almost enough for it to be okay as a TV rewatch. 5 is trash through and through. I've lived kind of a charmed movie life but it was the first movie where I really regretted showing up and thought about bailing. They managed to do a completely joyless car chase that goes on for what feels like forever, which is almost an accomplishment.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

4 understands the basics of how to create geography, tension, and narrative in an action sequence. That seems like a low bar to clear but when 5 doesn't even close to hitting that low standard it really highlights the gulf in quality between 4 and 5.

I mean compare this:
https://youtu.be/r1gBq45CkgI

To this:
https://youtu.be/OziaaQX7AHM

I mean, you can pick holes in the sequence in 4, but compared to what 5 is pulling down it's a cinematic masterpiece.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Karloff posted:

Looper was the last time I saw him give a poo poo. Though I've not kept up with his recent oeuvre.
He was alright in Motherless Brooklyn. He's barely in it, but for a good plot reason and he casts a shadow over the parts of the movie he's not in.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Die Hard 4 had Timothy Olyphant. Die Hard 5 didn’t (and also had Jai Courtney). Therefore Die Hard 4 is better, case closed.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
e: wrong thread

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Die Hard 3 is the best one though?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Payndz posted:

Even 4 had good bits amidst the dross, like Car Vs Helicopter or the Maggie Q fight. 5 though has no redeeming features whatsoever. It's bewilderingly bad. McClane is so uncaringly indestructible he may as well have been played by Roger Rabbit.

Die Hard 5 is fine provided you assume Jai Courtney's character is shot in the first five minutes or so and the rest of the film are his dying thoughts as his collapsing brain hallucinates what would happen if his dad was John McClane who appeared in the nick of time to save him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jai Courtney is just Great Value Sam Worthington.

Sam Worthington is Dollar General Jai Courtney.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jai Courtney's problem is getting cast as leading man when he's much better off as a sidekick or character actor.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought Willis was one of the better parts of Glass, and I hated that movie.

I mean, he's always seemed down to take on some weirder roles or movies. I can't really blame him for just doing whatever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The car chase near the beginning of Die Hard 5 overall isn't good but has quite a few terrific stunts and gets credit for doing a lot of stuff for real. There's also a really cool slow motion shot towards the end.

There you go, that's everything good about Die Hard 5.

Cael posted:

Die Hard 4 had Timothy Olyphant. Die Hard 5 didn’t (and also had Jai Courtney). Therefore Die Hard 4 is better, case closed.

Die Hard 5 has the excellent Sebastian Koch as the villain, which makes how terrible it is all the more confusing.

I think Bruce Willis' thing was equal parts him losing interest and everyone just being sick of his poo poo. He is, by all accounts, really hard to work with and really unpleasant. You can probably get away with that when you're one of the biggest stars in the world, but as the business changes and you start to age and your name is no longer enough to sell a movie, it probably has greater consequences.

muscles like this! posted:

Jai Courtney's problem is getting cast as leading man when he's much better off as a sidekick or character actor.

The first thing I saw Jai Courtney in was 'Jack Reacher' where he's the scary henchman. He was really good and it took me a while to realise that the lovely leading man that was popping up in things was the same guy.

Alhazred posted:

For some reason Apocalypto is about the mayans, even though they mostly resembles the aztec. The mayan empire was mostly gone by the time the europeans arrived and the aztec was the only ones still sacrificing humans at that time.

Apocalypto makes a lot more sense if you view it as a pastiche of a bunch of broadly similar cultures and periods, kind of like Westeros or something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Green Knight is so fucken good 😱😱😱 that ending tho

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone create a thread for the Green Knight so someone doesn't inevitably spoil it for everyone else

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vegetable posted:

Someone create a thread for the Green Knight so someone doesn't inevitably spoil it for everyone else
Here you go, the curse is lifted

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Apocalypto makes a lot more sense if you view it as a pastiche of a bunch of broadly similar cultures and periods, kind of like Westeros or something.

It's more a pastiche of what Mel Gibson thinks mesoamerican culture was.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The best thing about Die Hard 4 was that they sent a promo clip of him fighting the plane to get posted on IGN or some site but sent a file with a hosed up mix, so all the sound was on the left channel, and all of the ADR grunting and yelling was on the right. Setting your speaker balance to just the ADR side was loving hilarious and I wish I still had the file

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I want to watch the Green Knight

I will watch the Green Knight

:darksouls:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Die Hard 4 - Originally a script called WW3.com

They probably couldn't get ww3.com

they should have just called it WW3 Dot com and bought ww3dotcom.com

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1420967314703409162?s=20

cognitive mediation sounds like the plot of a dystopian lite cyberpunk straight to netflix movie

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
A friend and I used to go to the movies every couple of weeks pre-pando and it's one thing I've really been looking forward to for quite some time now. Well, it's open again, mask mandate is over, and it's release week for The Green Knight! Score!

... except it isn't on. They haven't got it, those fuckers.

I will not be getting GreenKnightninged this week.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

The car chase near the beginning of Die Hard 5 overall isn't good but has quite a few terrific stunts and gets credit for doing a lot of stuff for real. There's also a really cool slow motion shot towards the end.

There you go, that's everything good about Die Hard 5.
They reportedly smashed up literally hundreds of cars for that chase, but I was pretty :aaa: when I learned how much of the whole sequence was CG. There are some shots where they filmed live action, then replaced so much of it in the computer - there might be part of an overpass wall or whatever left from the original shot, but 95% of the frame is new - that you wonder why they didn't just do the entire thing digitally. It's the vehicular equivalent of The Thing 2012's "let's shoot puppet monsters, then paint them out and replace them with CG monsters!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Unkempt posted:

pre-pando .

:ughh:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just having a sando during the pando in San Fernando.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just having a sando during the pando in San Fernando.

at Nando's

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

of all the racist names for corona how did panda pandemic not catch on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't know, but maybe you should list the rest of the racist names just for fun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ALFbrot posted:

The best thing about Die Hard 4 was that they sent a promo clip of him fighting the plane to get posted on IGN or some site but sent a file with a hosed up mix, so all the sound was on the left channel, and all of the ADR grunting and yelling was on the right. Setting your speaker balance to just the ADR side was loving hilarious and I wish I still had the file

That reminds me of when Universal accidentally released that trailer for the 2017 Mummy movie with no sound. :lol:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't know, but maybe you should list the rest of the racist names just for fun.

Hooplehead flu
Hesh (from "hessian")
Irishman's Sorrow
Wet Kiev
The "Windsor"
Edo-Oh-No
Old King Mypos

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me of when Universal accidentally released that trailer for the 2017 Mummy movie with no sound. :lol:

Oh my god lol the video is still up

Please do yourself a favor and watch this in headphones, but remove the left headphone from your ear

https://www.ign.com/videos/2007/06/20/live-free-or-die-hard-movie-clip-exclusive-clip-f-35

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that part’s confusing. I know the protagonist and his community were Mayan (the Maya are a still-existent ethnicity in Central America), but the timeframe and the imperial city and its inhabitants were clearly Aztec.

I suppose it’s not surprising that a guy otherwise famous for yelling ethnic slurs at his ex-wife wasn’t particularly concerned about historical accuracy. It’s still a cool movie, though.

This was about a decade ago but I was hanging out with a Mayan professor of Mesoamerican history and he really loving loved Apocalypto. Also Mayans aren't limited to Central America dude, there are communities in North America as well.

Len posted:

Die Hard 3 is the best one though?

My man.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Neo Rasa posted:

"accidently"

That was the best publicity that movie managed to generate during it's entire run.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

Please do yourself a favor and watch this in headphones, but remove the left headphone from your ear

https://www.ign.com/videos/2007/06/20/live-free-or-die-hard-movie-clip-exclusive-clip-f-35

I’m the tinny “pshhhh” sound of the ejector seat in the middle of endless “ugh argh urrrrrrgh”

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

I’m the tinny “pshhhh” sound of the ejector seat in the middle of endless “ugh argh urrrrrrgh”

I'm the background noise in the awkwardly clipped "JESUS"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

He did a great job as the sidekick/puppy in Spartacus.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Alan Smithee posted:

cognitive mediation sounds like the plot of a dystopian lite cyberpunk straight to netflix movie

The term sounds scary, but it's really just a set of training activities designed to improve memory and social skills, and has been standard practice in psychology since the 90s. I think it started specifically as a treatment for schizophrenia and has since been applied to patients suffering from brain injuries in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

ALFbrot posted:

I watched this on the toilet at work and now feel like I’ve taken a poo poo one stall over from Bruce Willis.