Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

volunteer on a country where I don’t speak the language and everyone would laugh at best or order me to leave at worst if I showed up with a respirator.

Hell, I just had two delivery men deliver a new washing machine at my apartment and turn down my offer of a mask laughing since they were fully vaxxed.

You make excuses for everything, HTH

poo poo or get off the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

volunteer on a country where I don’t speak the language and everyone would laugh at best or order me to leave at worst if I showed up with a respirator.

Hell, I just had two delivery men deliver a new washing machine at my apartment and turn down my offer of a mask laughing since they were fully vaxxed.

sorry man, language barriers can be pretty tough, if you have a lot of free time
on your hands learning a new one can be a good way to make use of some
neuroplasticity- it sounds like you’re in a pretty isolated spot, but if you’re getting washing machines delivered and stuff it’s not all bad.

I can’t really work remotely so I’ve mostly been working in person since March 2020, fortunately most of my coworkers are vaccinated and masked but that’s starting to go away lately, I’ll probably join respirator crew in the next few weeks. poo poo sucks, but a mask really isn’t that bad, given the alternative.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

You make excuses for everything

They are not excuses, they are explanations why the advice wouldn’t work. It’s not meant to be disrespectful, it’s to clarify the situation in the hopes of prompting alternate suggestions.

Bastard Tetris posted:

sorry man, language barriers can be pretty tough, if you have a lot of free time
on your hands learning a new one can be a good way to make use of some
neuroplasticity- it sounds like you’re in a pretty isolated spot, but if you’re getting washing machines delivered and stuff it’s not all bad.

I am on Duolingo for Norwegian. It seems easier than Dutch so hopefully I can get to a decent level on my own.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

They are not excuses, they are explanations why the advice wouldn’t work. It’s not meant to be disrespectful, it’s to clarify the situation in the hopes of prompting alternate suggestions.

I get a ton of mileage out of being a big dick american white guy stem weirdo that just does poo poo out of primacy, this really isn’t a time for acquiescence

our leaders are feckless morons that don’t care if you live or die, gently caress them

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Jul 30, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i like that the internal slide deck says universal masking is essential and then the CDC decides to message that as vaccinated people are suggested to wear masks indoors in high-risk areas

every indoor space is now high risk

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/guardianaus/status/1421057398341611521?s=21

so at our current rate that’ll be 2023 then lmao

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

I am on Duolingo for Norwegian. It seems easier than Dutch so hopefully I can get to a decent level on my own.

That’s great- one of my sister’s friends married a Norwegian billionaire and I can confirm that they are a deeply weird people, good luck.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

AceOfFlames posted:

How can they have “gotten it under control” if even fully vaxxed it’s a roll of the dice any time you step outside?

gently caress, I’m convinced I will never be able to see my family or ever get a date. Life is now all about computer touching and baking bread and whatever else you can do at home until society collapses. What is the loving POINT?

it's not a roll of the device when you take some precautions like masking. and ultimately governments will be forced to take stricter measures to control the pandemic. there are 3 ways I see it ending:

1) we have incredible luck with vaccines and boosters and don't gently caress up a second chance at vaccines to eliminate the virus

2) we find treatments--this is how HIV and AIDS went in the end. turn covid into something with a tiny CFR that can be treated and managed, long covid prevented, etc.

3) it mutates into something more transmissible but less deadly--this is the 1918 flu path.

4) we strict lockdown like china for 2-3 months and eradicate it worldwide. it's probably not feasible but i can dream

i don't see an option that's hell world everything is forever changed and never the same. the world is definitely changed but it's not life as we know it is over. i'm doomer numero uno and even i don't think we'll have that future. it will probably be a combo of all three--boosters buy some time to get treatments and ultimately we adapt as quickly as the virus adapts to outpace it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

AceOfFlames posted:

ok, fine: let’s say I make some bread. Then what? do I make more. bread?

This poo poo made me laugh. Stop flailing around you're wasting energy

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

covid is so funny

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

Look, this happens every time. Your not looking for suggestions if you shoot them all down every time someone makes one.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Helith posted:

better than the US where that'd equal never

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mod sassinator posted:

it's not a roll of the device when you take some precautions like masking. and ultimately governments will be forced to take stricter measures to control the pandemic. there are 3 ways I see it ending:

1) we have incredible luck with vaccines and boosters and don't gently caress up a second chance at vaccines to eliminate the virus

2) we find treatments--this is how HIV and AIDS went in the end. turn covid into something with a tiny CFR that can be treated and managed, long covid prevented, etc.

3) it mutates into something more transmissible but less deadly--this is the 1918 flu path.

4) we strict lockdown like china for 2-3 months and eradicate it worldwide. it's probably not feasible but i can dream

i don't see an option that's hell world everything is forever changed and never the same. the world is definitely changed but it's not life as we know it is over. i'm doomer numero uno and even i don't think we'll have that future. it will probably be a combo of all three--boosters buy some time to get treatments and ultimately we adapt as quickly as the virus adapts to outpace it

Isn't 3 more or less impossible because there are no evolutionary pressures selecting against lethality due to the long period of asymptomatic transmissibility?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

smoobles posted:

If you aren't doomy enough for a respirator, I highly recommend Vog masks. They're KN95 equivalent, fairly stylish and the most comfy mask I've found all pandemic. There are sizes in between Small/Medium/Large, so it ends up being so well fitted that I regularly forget I'm wearing it until I'm in my car alone, halfway home, looking like an idiot.

I don't know if the KN95 equivalence has been thoroughly reviewed, but I can tell you that once I tried to double mask two of them and almost passed out after 30 seconds.

Here's the link: https://www.vogmask.com/

man we’re right back to everything that was one year ago.

only wear masks that wrap around the back of your head.
$30 will buy you 10+ n95s, or 25+ kn95s with head straps

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1420929934772506625

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

crepeface posted:

marking the d&d thread unread and booting up a vidya game before I get banned again

That guy definitely has covid brain damage.

Nevermind not killing people for no reason, giving our health infrastructure and workers breathing room, and buying time for the vaccine rollout, all while being able to go about daily life as normal. Let 'er rip!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Love getting wisdom advice from Nate bronze

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

i am harry posted:

man we’re right back to everything that was one year ago.

only wear masks that wrap around the back of your head.
$30 will buy you 10+ n95s, or 25+ kn95s with head straps

Got a good link for a reputable seller? I have family that are interested but not doomy enough like me to respirator up.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Nate Silver is one of the dumbest mofos I ever seen

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't 3 more or less impossible because there are no evolutionary pressures selecting against lethality due to the long period of asymptomatic transmissibility?

yeah but I think it works against that too in that there isn't any pressure selecting for lethality either. it's really just more of luck, hope we get some alpha++++ variant that's really transmissible and takes over quickly, but acts more like wild strain or even easier

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1421068187089657859?s=19

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

Love getting wisdom advice from Nate bronze

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

this one seems cute: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B013SIIBME?sa-no-redirect=1&th=1

i think i got the GSV Elipse from the OP? this is legit right?

trying to decide which of these to get, though. was thinking of getting some of the larger ones but w/ no eye cover seems less helpful against teargas (i usually wear glasses or sunglasses to the store or other places). thinking mostly for something i can wear to the grocery store/costco. i have a million F2299 airpops on hand for times when i might have to unexpectedly duck inside a gas station or go into my deserted workplace or something.

wait, can someone from elastomere crew tell me if the exhalation valves on these (or other masks) filter too? i don't want to be totally irresponsible to the humans around me

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
it really is the brunch lib back to normal crowd driving the surge, lol

https://deadline.com/2021/07/los-angeles-covid-surge-driven-by-white-affluent-neighborhoods-1234802675/

quote:

Los Angeles Covid Surge Being Driven By White, Affluent Neighborhoods

Covid cases continued to rise in Los Angeles County on Thursday, albeit more slowly. The raw number of daily cases rose 17% in the past week, to 3,248. That’s roughly half of the 7,458 cases recorded in California on Thursday, even though Los Angeles County’s population accounts for only roughly 25% of the state’s residents.

Driving this rise, according to Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer, have been more affluent communities on the West Side including Beverly Hills, Bel-Air, Beverly Crest, Venice, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino. The winter surge was driven by higher case rates in Central L.A.
According to Ferrer, the increase in more affluent areas of the city is being driven by a younger, less-vaccinated population. “Transmission in these neighborhoods is mostly being spread among young adults,” she said, before speculating on other factors behind the increase. She ventured that these are “people with resources who can now go out and about more,” to restaurants, social gatherings or large parties, even if they are not vaccinated.

Asked about the danger to the county’s approximately 1.5 million children below 12, who are not cleared for vaccination but about to start school, Ferrer lauded the efforts of school administrators and teachers over the summer and said, “There’s no consideration for closing schools.”

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

...... and here's how it looks with the data from July 24 - 28 added in over the graph:

It's already above their "best fit" line and is headed up above the 50% prediction interval already LOL

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

osprey posted:

im still using a budget 3m 6000 series... and these swim goggles, lol

i have issues with the goggles fogging up on me sometimes. not from my breath, the goggles are airtight and my mask doesn't leak. its from temp changes, like walking into an air conditioned store after being out in the humid heat. im not sure if i would recommend them for anything but short trips

been wanting to upgrade both, but im pretty broke and unemployed. decided id better prioritize food supplies over a luxury plaguelands gear upgrade

for goggles i was thinking about trying the honeywell uvex, they're supposed to fit with most half face masks and come in different styles (like you could get the wraparound frame version instead of a headband). get non-vented ones tho, or at least indirect vented

rub a drop of shaving cream into the lens with a cloth and it wont fog up

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

osprey posted:

im still using a budget 3m 6000 series... and these swim goggles, lol

i have issues with the goggles fogging up on me sometimes. not from my breath, the goggles are airtight and my mask doesn't leak. its from temp changes, like walking into an air conditioned store after being out in the humid heat. im not sure if i would recommend them for anything but short trips

been wanting to upgrade both, but im pretty broke and unemployed. decided id better prioritize food supplies over a luxury plaguelands gear upgrade

for goggles i was thinking about trying the honeywell uvex, they're supposed to fit with most half face masks and come in different styles (like you could get the wraparound frame version instead of a headband). get non-vented ones tho, or at least indirect vented

swimmers have this trick with goggles where you rub baby soap on the inside glass and gently rinse it off without touching, air dry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Petey posted:

wait, can someone from elastomere crew tell me if the exhalation valves on these (or other masks) filter too? i don't want to be totally irresponsible to the humans around me

LOL why? You would need an elastomeric mask if they weren't irresponsible towards you

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helith posted:

unless they mandate it, we'll never hit those figures. too many anti-vaxxers

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

lmao there she is

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Reveal yourself, Chairman Daou

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
america looked at india during the delta outbreak and was like "lol glad that's never gonna find its way here" and did nothing to prepare

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Petey posted:

no they do not filter it but they vent it downwards rather than outwards

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

shes gonna sing a duet tonight with roddy ricch

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Petey posted:

Basically if they mandate real masks it's probably better to follow the guidance so as to not be a dick, but if random cloth masks are OK then don't bother thinking about the exhaust port, you're no worse than those.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

genericnick posted:

Basically if they mandate real masks it's probably better to follow the guidance so as to not be a dick, but if random cloth masks are OK then don't bother thinking about the exhaust port, you're no worse than those.

Masks will never be mandated, hth

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol this pisses me off

minorities have the lowest vaccination rates, while when polled, extremely partisan old conservative whites are the most likely to say they'll never get a vaccine

*thinking as hard as I ever have*

this is the fault of my ideological enemies and we should focus our efforts on convincing those conservative whites to get vaccinated because Trump is!!! vaccines are free and available everywhere, of course there isn't an accessibility issue!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Masks will never be mandated, hth

I'm in Europe. They mandated N95 equivalent where I lived.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

genericnick posted:

I'm in Europe. They mandated N95 equivalent where I lived.

:lol: like children, Europe doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Petey posted:

you can just do what i did and put a cloth mask over the valve if you're worried about it. iirc there's been studies that the exhale valves from respirators do just as much as a mask, if not better

the respirator isn't part of the mask covenant. it's about keeping you safe