Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair several of Deku's powers are defensive or mostly defensive.

I think what makes Crawler work for me is that Deku's powers being basically a grab bag doesn't feel natural. They're not supposed to because he's a horrifying chimera of a quirk that effectively kills the user and takes their quirk, but it ends up feeling kinda disjointed. Like the comparisons between Deku and Spider-Man are fairly blunt. Super strength, swinging, high mobility, the ability to sense danger, etc. Spider-Man's powers all go together with the idea of "Spider abilities taken to their natural extension + psychic precognition for some reason" whereas Deku has a similar power set but it's just sort of Whatever The Plot Demanded.

One of the things I like most about MHA is the idea that characters have a specific gimmick and any new abilities or powers they get are an extension of that gimmick. Froppy has the powers of a frog and gets more powers of a frog, Bakugo has explosions and new ways to use those explosions, Mina has acid powers and just finds ways to adjust those powers, etc. Even the Wildly OP Motherfuckers tend to have very specific ideas behind them. All-Might was just really really really strong and learned how to use that strength to do things properly. Todoroki has two quirks because he's the result of a weird breeding scheme that left tragedy in its wake and even then it just amounts to "can do a lot of fire AND a lot of ice." Lemillion has a power that looks absurdly OP at first glance but amounts to "being able to exploit the physics bug in a game" and he just honed it to perfection. Everyone has a strong thematic connection between their various powers.

Deku worked well when his power was "I can be extremely strong but only if I put myself at risk" because that fit his personality to a T and really still does. Likewise the story thematically made this work because Deku would find ways to hurt himself less thanks to his friends and mentors. Even his current 90's Image Era Deku phase is a logical extension of that, being willing to utterly wreck himself mentally and physically to avoid causing trouble for others. But now Deku has that and also a random grab bag of powers that don't really mesh well with him and a good chunk of which he learned entirely offscreen.

I'm hoping it pans out in the end but I was rereading the recent chapters and realized I just don't care about Deku's powers because they don't feel connected to him as a character. It's hard not to compare it to MVA which handled the idea of absurd powerups way better. I even like All For One better because thematically the villain having the power of stealing and distorting powers for his own gain says something about his character in a way Blackwhip or Danger Sense don't really for Deku.

It works because he’s the mirror to All For One. He takes others’ Quirks and makes them all work together, carefully analyzing and deconstructing them until they become a part of him. Meanwhile, AFO only sees Quirks as blunt weapons. He rejected stealing Best Jeanist because…why waste time mastering fiber control? He’s got twenty other Quirks to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

It works because he’s the mirror to All For One. He takes others’ Quirks and makes them all work together, carefully analyzing and deconstructing them until they become a part of him. Meanwhile, AFO only sees Quirks as blunt weapons. He rejected stealing Best Jeanist because…why waste time mastering fiber control? He’s got twenty other Quirks to play with.

The problem there is "making your ability work for you and become a natural part of who you are" is the baseline expectation for a MHA character. It isn't really interesting for Deku because it doesn't actually take advantage of any of his distinctive traits. It should in theory make use of his fanboyism but it really doesn't because he just gets a crash course from the previous user.

If anything I think All-Might is a more natural counter for All For One. He only had one power but it pushed it to its fullest (as far as he knew) and was able to overcome AfO's many many powers because of it IIt wasn't about how many powers he had but how he used them that mattered in the end.

In comparison think Deku is supposed to be the logical thematic counterpart to Shigaraki. Both are the successors to their respect OFA/AFO quirk holders. Deku is willing to do anything to help others and destroys himself doing it while Shigaraki has given up hope of anything but destroying others. Deku was a nobody with no special ability while Shigaraki was the grandson of the last OFA users. They're two sides of a coin and Deku's plot is building up towards how he'll respond to Shigaraki who is basically his awful mirror in every way. At the end of the day Deku's special element isn't his powers but his personality and his desire to save others vs the living embodiment of "I destroy everything I touch. (including myself)" Hell poor Eri was basically a new Shigaraki in the making before Deku saved her.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's a little premature to judge Deku's quirks considering how little time he's had them or has been able to show them off in the series. We don't even know what the last one is yet. Also I think the only one that's a bit out of nowhere is smokescreen, everything else just fit into the 'Spiderman-expy' slot. And I still like the way smokescreen has been used so far,

Anyway, when comparing Deku and Crawler I think it's fair to say that both of them lean towards different kind Spiderman-ness. Koichi nails the whole friendly neighborhood spidey battling street level villains in terms of the tone and regarding his quirk it's more about fun, creative uses that don't really amount to much. Deku is definitely more of a dramatic high-stakes guy and he gets a ton of "go beyond, lift a building cuz you have to" moments which is something Spidey does pretty regularly.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 24, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Vengarr posted:

AfO rejected stealing Jeanist's Quirk because it'd take too long for Shigaraki to master. Like, he literally said that outright.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Vinylshadow posted:

Vigilantes 106

Number Six: Crawler Style

i appreciate the bored good guy mooks bouncing pebbles off the heads of the living bombs while they wait for salvation or horrific death to come

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Nephthys posted:

It's a little premature to judge Deku's quirks considering how little time he's had them or has been able to show them off in the series. We don't even know what the last one is yet. Also I think the only one that's a bit out of nowhere is smokescreen, everything else just fit into the 'Spiderman-expy' slot. And I still like the way smokescreen has been used so far,

Anyway, when comparing Deku and Crawler I think it's fair to say that both of them lean towards different kind Spiderman-ness. Koichi nails the whole friendly neighborhood spidey battling street level villains in terms of the tone and regarding his quirk it's more about fun, creative uses that don't really amount to much. Deku is definitely more of a dramatic high-stakes guy and he gets a ton of "go beyond, lift a building cuz you have to" moments which is something Spidey does pretty regularly.

I don't remember Spider-Man having a floating ability.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mraagvpeine posted:

Some versions of Spider-Man/Spider-Woman let them use underarm webflaps like a wingsuit, if that counts

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mraagvpeine posted:

TBF I also don't remember his to charge up kinetic energy and release it in a huge burst

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lotus Aura posted:

AfO rejected stealing Jeanist's Quirk because it'd take too long for Shigaraki to master. Like, he literally said that outright.

Yeah, if anything AfO's entire gimmick is masterful use of quirks - see him deliberately queueing up a specific mixtape of quirks to allow him to out-punch All Might in order to beat him ironically. He would absolutely take the time to learn how to get the most out of Jeanist's quirk, but at the point where he ran into Jeanist he wasn't collecting quirks for himself, he was doing it for Shigaraki, who is much less patient.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kanos posted:

Yeah, if anything AfO's entire gimmick is masterful use of quirks - see him deliberately queueing up a specific mixtape of quirks to allow him to out-punch All Might in order to beat him ironically. He would absolutely take the time to learn how to get the most out of Jeanist's quirk, but at the point where he ran into Jeanist he wasn't collecting quirks for himself, he was doing it for Shigaraki, who is much less patient.

And even all those quirks were just a fake out to goad All Might into a punch off so he could hit him with Impact Reversal.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

christmas boots posted:

TBF I also don't remember his to charge up kinetic energy and release it in a huge burst

Miles Morales has that exact ability in the new Spider-Man game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Miles Morales has that exact ability in the new Spider-Man game.

It's just electricity, not kinetic energy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

And in the end, he seems to be bodyjacking Shiggy anyway, so he could've just stolen the Quirk and saved himself a hero to fight later down the line. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

And in the end, he seems to be bodyjacking Shiggy anyway, so he could've just stolen the Quirk and saved himself a hero to fight later down the line. :v:

I'm assuming that he actually did intend to allow Shigaraki to work on his own for a while before circumstances intervened and forced him to assume direct control to save his entire plan from being destroyed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the story and characters work way better when all of Koichi's power ups are just kind of logical applications of his powers or like "He just never thought to try that before he got desperate"

Dunno the whole "he's learning to do X unconsciously!" bit is getting a bit long on the tooth. The perception and reaction bits in particular. I know that's a question the story itself is posing but it still feels beyond what he should be able to do.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://w27.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-321/

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh hell yeah Iida gets to do something!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

recreating the Bakugo rescue plan in spirit to save their dumb friend is so drat good. Iida being the one to reach out and follow through on what he said after fighting Stain was excellent. I didn’t expect to tear up but those last panels got me good :cry:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sugarman might make it out of this okay but Mineta got hosed up

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey, it was Iida, wouldn't have called that

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Another very good chapter, but also that Mecha-Might picture before the chapter rules.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Another very good chapter, but also that Mecha-Might picture before the chapter rules.

get in the loving robot Shinji Deku

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So one thing that the translation left out is that in the one panel, You’re Next is engraved on Deku’s arm

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

When in doubt, apply more All Might

Or is this gonna be a Doom Eternal or Star Wars situation where yes, there's a 400-foot tall robot, or a fleet of Star Destroyers, but focusing on the tiny ships and single people is more engaging to the audience because nobody wants to see biggatons blowing the crap out of each other with giant lasers in gorgeous detail, right

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

So one thing that the translation left out is that in the one panel, You’re Next is engraved on Deku’s arm

Oh God Deku :smith:

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where is this? I've scoured and can't find it

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Where is this? I've scoured and can't find it

It's the panel where he says "you guys...can't keep up". It's not just his arm but his head too has "you're next" over it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

When in doubt, apply more All Might

Or is this gonna be a Doom Eternal or Star Wars situation where yes, there's a 400-foot tall robot, or a fleet of Star Destroyers, but focusing on the tiny ships and single people is more engaging to the audience because nobody wants to see biggatons blowing the crap out of each other with giant lasers in gorgeous detail, right

?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still no MVA in the anime next week (though based on the preview I don’t remember if the next episode is from the manga or if it’s just another filler)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Still no MVA in the anime next week (though based on the preview I don’t remember if the next episode is from the manga or if it’s just another filler)

We're in Aizawa backstory territory, so I'm starting to doubt we're getting MVA this season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

We're in Aizawa backstory territory, so I'm starting to doubt we're getting MVA this season

It shouldn’t take that long to adapt (they could probably do it all in the last 4-5 episodes of the season) but we’ll see.

Characters exclusive to that arc do appear in the current OP though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

No anime at all next week, next ep is delayed. Yay.

Aizawa time is only 2 and a half chapters, they should be able to get through it in a single episode. Which of course means it'll be two. Another month until MVA. :negative:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nephthys posted:

No anime at all next week, next ep is delayed. Yay.

Aizawa time is only 2 and a half chapters, they should be able to get through it in a single episode. Which of course means it'll be two. Another month until MVA. :negative:

Oh right, there’s another Olympics related break this Friday (possibly Saturday as well).

Like I said though, there’s already a couple MVA nods in the current OP so it is still happening, just probably not until the very end of the season (and they better bring their A game to this to make up for the delay)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

there's no MVA in this season's MHA because obviously when this season ends the next week is the premiere of the 1-cour "series", My Villain Acadamia

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Larryb posted:

I suspect they’re going to cut quite a bit of it now, because the way they’ve organised it there is simply no time to have it all done in the remaining episodes.

What was once gonna be the highlight of the season is starting to look super concerning.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

I suspect they’re going to cut quite a bit of it now, because the way they’ve organised it there is simply no time to have it all done in the remaining episodes.

What was once gonna be the highlight of the season is starting to look super concerning.

They could do what the above poster suggested and air it as a separate miniseries after Season 5 is over but somehow I doubt that. I am curious how the anime is going to handle some of the darker aspects of that particular arc though.

It would also be nice if they started up a Vigilantes anime that aired in between MHA seasons. But the problem is that that series might be a bit too violent/risqué to air in the same timeslot (especially early on). In fact given that next time we're going into Aizawa's backstory a bit, after this season would be the perfect time to start one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 1, 2021

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I have to admit, I'm a little happy Iida gets to have another day in the sun.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Nephthys posted:

It could definitely be two episodes if they include stuff we only saw in Vigilantes. We don't learn much at all about Shirakumo from the main series.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really don't see the Aizawa flashback and Kurogiri reveal taking two episodes. Pace has been something of an issue this season but seeing as how some of the VAs already talked about how they recorded for MVA... MVA is happening lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It sucks that a really good, different arc seems to be getting the short shrift for filler.