Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

Oh absolutely, though from what I understand the coke freestyle machines raise the cost of the syrup by like 800% because it comes in what are basically ink cartridges now, but that just means it costs the restaurant 0.08 cents per gallon instead of 0.01 cents

lol coke is turning into hp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Getting blown up by the Pepsi armada because I put their syrup in a coke cartridge too close to the coast

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://projectionsinc.com/unionproof/union-buster-stop-using/

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Oh absolutely, though from what I understand the coke freestyle machines raise the cost of the syrup by like 800% because it comes in what are basically ink cartridges now, but that just means it costs the restaurant 0.08 cents per gallon instead of 0.01 cents

when i worked in a restaurant we didn't have those giant self-serve kiosks with the touch screen. the syrup came in what was basically boxed wine with a hose attachment on the bag and i think we calculated it out that you'd have to get a customer like 14 refills before the store would lose money on a soda order

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those are the 2.5gal boxes you're talking about and they run about $50 apiece now, maybe more.

I just want a soda fountain so I can buy boxes of Sun Drop syrup when I go to Tennessee for a visit. And then to drink Sun Drop for the next year.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Initially I thought coke replacing the big boxes with dumbass small cartridges was a horrible scam but then I realized the people most affected are small business owners, and according to a friend that works at a mcdonalds "I don't give a gently caress if they cost more, lifting boxes full of 2.5 gallons of syrup multiple times a day was a pain in the rear end and this is way easier."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They still sell the boxes, and will for a long rear end time. I never minded having to change them when I worked at bars and restaurants. Way easier to manhandle than beer kegs. But servers never could hump the boxes up to the rack or even hook it up right half the time, and I got used to doing it in every kitchen I worked in.

One bar I worked at tried to make the servers keep up with keg changes. Watching a 95lb woman try to drag a keg 5 feet to a line was always funny.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

tbh the weasel words of "ask at the counter about your broken cup" and throwing the serviceworker under the bus when they gotta tell someone the robot won't give them more soda for free is a pretty slick move

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

tbh the weasel words of "ask at the counter about your broken cup" and throwing the serviceworker under the bus when they gotta tell someone the robot won't give them more soda for free is a pretty slick move

do coke freestyle machines show ads? honestly shocked if they don't (yet)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
could sell premium ad-free cups for a markup

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah, "please watch this ad while we get your refill ready :burger:" on the soda kiosk screen.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
the time for a coke freestyle machine to reset to the main selection menu is roughly exactly as long as it takes for the bubbles to fade preventing you from fully filling a cup and Im fairly sure this is designed

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I saw a lady change a cartridge in a freestyle machine once and she let me take a picture of it. it was kinda fascinating and the first thing I encountered that used rfid tech.

the carts are these long prisms that look like a skinny 12 pack of soda. refilling it with a new cartridge looks and sounds like an 80s weapon load out montage.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I know coke is pretty solidly entrenched in every place that it's installing freestyle machines, but I've always been kinda fascinated by these places that have adaptable and basically universal BiB systems that they can change pretty easily if coke ever stops supplying them, switching to a unique machine with proprietary cartridges with inbuilt DRM. I'm sure most places don't have a choice, but it is a sort of sneaky way for coke to really sink its claws into a place.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite thing about coke freestyle machines is how much goddamn lag they have for seemingly no reason. Like I've seen a bunch where they removed all animation, I'm guessing to try to fix this, and it still has a bafflingly large amount of input lag between when you tap the thing and when it goes to the next screen.

I've also just seen some kind of new revision of them at a Wawa, it's got a 16x9 screen and less (but still annoying amounts of) input lag. But the funnest new feature is that it now has a loving camera built in. The camera wasn't doing anything (that I can tell, anyway...) but boy think of the exciting features you could add!

Smile and pose excitedly with your Empty Coca-Cola Product Cup while we verify your Refreshment Levels before a refill is authorized

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
the lag is because the system has to wait while it scans, stores, and transmits all your biometric data first

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite thing about coke freestyle machines is how much goddamn lag they have for seemingly no reason. Like I've seen a bunch where they removed all animation, I'm guessing to try to fix this, and it still has a bafflingly large amount of input lag between when you tap the thing and when it goes to the next screen.

I've also just seen some kind of new revision of them at a Wawa, it's got a 16x9 screen and less (but still annoying amounts of) input lag. But the funnest new feature is that it now has a loving camera built in. The camera wasn't doing anything (that I can tell, anyway...) but boy think of the exciting features you could add!

Smile and pose excitedly with your Empty Coca-Cola Product Cup while we verify your Refreshment Levels before a refill is authorized

Roller rinks are starting to use facial recognition that doesn't work and employees aren't allowed to override so I can only assume that hilarity is about to ensue with banned customer lists across all customer facing industries.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Good thing I'm never drinking coke again ever since it was reformulated to a sucralose abomination over here in Singapore

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

The first real job I had was at a snack bar with a soda fountain and I vividly remember my boss losing his poo poo because I threw out a few cups that got stepped on and had dirty shoe prints on them. He said cups cost them 10 cents each and looked at me like some teenager was going to sweat 40 cents in cups? The smallest size was sold to customers for $5, equal to a full hour's pay for me at the time.

Boss in this instance being owner or general manager? rear end managers generally dgaf but I've been wrong before

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

this site is insane

quote:

Improve Employee Engagement With These 5 Types of Videos

1. Pre-hire
Before you officially offer a position, you can show job candidates a pre-hire video. It provides a glimpse into your company’s environment and culture by depicting typical workdays. It should also list your rules and beliefs, including the fact that you operate without unions. Testimonials from current employees and customers can likewise illustrate your brand’s character.

A crisp video helps applicants make last-minute decisions. Does your workplace really seem like the right place for them? Do they suddenly realize they’d be a better fit elsewhere?

2. New Hire
Once you hire someone, play your new hire video. Reiterate your benefits and basic expectations, and explain them further. Delve into the history and unique features of your brand. Just don’t go into too much detail since new employees have so much to learn.

This video should restate your union-free business model. You could explain how your company isn’t opposed to unions but has established this system for the welfare of all employees.

when an employee dies on the shop floor, play your “poo poo happens, nothing can be done” video

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Cryptocurrency are like some kind of a horrible brain virus I could see myself reading about in some lovely sci-fi novel. Imagine, using tons of rare metals and complicated manufacturing machinery just to burn electricity to create absolutely nothing of value, and year by year it's only growing bigger. Lmao

I’m imagining a world where AI robots can catch an incurable crypto mining virus like it’s cordyceps. Androids being hijacked against their will to clamp to an overhead power line while their silicon brain turns to mush performing some hashing algorithm that was written hundreds of years earlier.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BattleMaster posted:

When I first heard of bitcoin I thought it was a way of compensating people for lending computing power to other people - like folding@home or seti@home but you get tokens in return that have value because they can be sold to people who want to use them to buy computing power. Or something.

Obviously that is way off but it would make a lot more sense than the reality. Protein folding is an example of something that needs a lot of computing power but produces results that have value to biologists and medical researchers. Cryptocurrency's math just gives you a number that has no use or meaning beyond being proof that you managed to guess it correctly before anyone else. Being first to do something doesn't mean poo poo if the something is worthless

The problem with using any of these is that they’re expensive to verify.

Cryptokiddies could and would give bad, fake results for protein folding and pollute the whole database.

Cryptographic hash algorithms are, as a class, expensive to compute and cheap to verify. Few real world problems are.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

and the first thing I encountered that used rfid tech.

That seems unlikely, RFID is in everything. Article surveillance tags, credit cards, passports, toll collection systems, transit passes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

commie kong posted:

this site is insane

when an employee dies on the shop floor, play your “poo poo happens, nothing can be done” video

If someone shows me a prehire video, I will suddenly realize that's I'm a better fit elsewhere, yes.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I saw a lady change a cartridge in a freestyle machine once and she let me take a picture of it. it was kinda fascinating and the first thing I encountered that used rfid tech.

the carts are these long prisms that look like a skinny 12 pack of soda. refilling it with a new cartridge looks and sounds like an 80s weapon load out montage.

Wait til you change an office printer toner cartridge - it's like loading a shell into a tank cannon!

KA CHUNK!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

The problem with using any of these is that they’re expensive to verify.

Cryptokiddies could and would give bad, fake results for protein folding and pollute the whole database.

Cryptographic hash algorithms are, as a class, expensive to compute and cheap to verify. Few real world problems are.

that literally the definition of np, like 90% of real world problems are in np what are you talkin about

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fame Douglas posted:

That seems unlikely, RFID is in everything. Article surveillance tags, credit cards, passports, toll collection systems, transit passes.

okay I'll clarify and say "the first time I saw someone interact with RFIDs actively in a way that was clear to me what was happening".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im gonna get an mrna vaccine that lets me think real hard and poop out a custom rfid

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Hold out for the tentacle one. Think of how good two extra arms would be! You would be a hit with the Japanese too!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that literally the definition of np, like 90% of real world problems are in np what are you talkin about

Also since we were talking about it, BOINC has stuff in place to keep people from submitting garbage, because even without monetary compensation nerds would absolutely do it just to get the highest score.

I think the main way it handles this is by making at least two nodes compute each work unit and requiring that they match, which is rigorous enough currently but if there were money in it you'd probably get people just launching a billion nodes to ensure that it gets both copies a reasonable number of times or whatever. But the thing is it's centralized, so you don't need a bunch of complex balkanization and poo poo, you can just ban people and take all their protein moneys or whatever.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
here's a free DIY homeowners tip

if you hang up a wall shelf and it turns out to be slightly crooked...dont tear it down and start over

instead hang up a couple pictures next to it and use your level to set them at the same angle

fellas, your wife will never know the difference

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

here's a free DIY homeowners tip

if you hang up a wall shelf and it turns out to be slightly crooked...dont tear it down and start over

instead hang up a couple pictures next to it and use your level to set them at the same angle

fellas, your wife will never know the difference

I like this whimsical gaslighting technique. Just keep making your house more and more askew until it's the weird perspective shrinking hallway from willy wonka while denying anything's wrong.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Groverhaus

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Yinlock posted:

can't really think of a better place to put this https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1420094149064372227?s=20

Hobby Lobby Hammurabi Code

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Groverhaus

Just don't do it in your Lebensraum

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
those mismatched windows needed space to live

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

skooma512 posted:

Hold out for the tentacle one. Think of how good two extra arms would be! You would be a hit with the Japanese too!

damnit! i wonder if its too late to get both?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shame Boy posted:

I like this whimsical gaslighting technique. Just keep making your house more and more askew until it's the weird perspective shrinking hallway from willy wonka while denying anything's wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-Vp5lG-R8

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shame Boy posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
gently caress the homeless, let the children do a capitalism

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...84-cca5f58be3b9

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Jul 31, 2021