Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

Honestly, it's fair to be grossed out. While the main chapters are free of any creepy poo poo, I've learned to dread the extra/.5 chapters of Isekai Uncle because that's when the creator goes all in with the creepfest. It really drags down what is otherwise a funny series.

That's a huge bummer since the series looked legit solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm not talking about the MC taking his shirt off, I'm talking about how the art constantly focuses on the female characters' (and basically every "good guy" is female) butts and crotches.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the series, I just think it's fair to give people a head's up that the art's a little more focused on butts and panties than you might otherwise expect.

Congrats to Nemo; take the W on this one

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Just finished "Hero is Dead/Yuusha Ga Shinda". Incredibly good, but also incredibly loving bizarre in ways hard to explain. Still definitely recommend it. Fair warning that it has Hiro Mashima levels of fan service and THEN SOME.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A scanlation isekai horror story.
You check one of the series you followed before the Mangadex crash, it's gotten a bunch of new chapters. 'Wonderful.' you think, and assume that maybe it's a backlog uploaded from the scanlation group now that they can upload on MD again.
You flip open the first new chapter, and the first thing that hits you is that the typesetting is off, the text is awkward and linebreak
s happen haphazar
dly. Before you even begin reading you feel a tinge of dread crawling up the base of your spine.
You try to read, but it's difficult to make sense of most speech bubbles, even if you're being generous. 'Oh no, this series is unreadable like this.'

A bunch of the korean/etc series I check on the side are very prone to suddenly getting dropped, then picked up by 1-person scanlation groups on instagram and what have you. But it's always a shame when it happens to any series, and you just end up shelving that series.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Data Dragon Danika is about a VRMMO player with a dragon avatar. It was recommended in the other thread. I've read the first few chapters and so far it's been very cute and wholesome.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 30, 2021

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

SubNat posted:

You check one of the series you followed before the Mangadex crash, it's gotten a bunch of new chapters. 'Wonderful.' you think, and assume that maybe it's a backlog uploaded from the scanlation group now that they can upload on MD again.
You flip open the first new chapter, and the first thing that hits you is that the typesetting is off, the text is awkward and linebreak
s happen haphazar
dly. Before you even begin reading you feel a tinge of dread crawling up the base of your spine.
You try to read, but it's difficult to make sense of most speech bubbles, even if you're being generous. 'Oh no, this series is unreadable like this.'

A bunch of the korean/etc series I check on the side are very prone to suddenly getting dropped, then picked up by 1-person scanlation groups on instagram and what have you. But it's always a shame when it happens to any series, and you just end up shelving that series.

Yeah it happened to the Antagonist's Pet as well which made it impossible to read.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

SubNat posted:

s happen haphazar

I was dismayed to find most of the new-to-me chapters in one not only introduced a story arc and two characters that were completely uninteresting, but also egregiously bad translation/editing. A cleric mentions their previous career in another city as "an ideological plucker." Inquisitor? Opinionated poultry processor?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this happens to every single manhua webtoon. i don't know why.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The good news is that a lot of Korean webtoons have official translations. I know Antagonist’s Pet does.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

nrook posted:

The good news is that a lot of Korean webtoons have official translations. I know Antagonist’s Pet does.
unfortunately official doesnt always mean good. I know i was severely disappointed by the official translation of Bring the Love. I think it's worse than the fan translations

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah there's a pretty wide range of competence between the various official platforms, and also even if you're reading something on Tappytoon it might have originated with Copin and still have that same error-filled script even if their (Tappy's) in-house work is generally pretty competent. That's not exclusively a manhwa/manhua issue either, I've run into similar issues reading official manga translations where a particular publisher consistently puts out low-quality translations. It's frustrating to pay for something that's barely readable but I'd still rather support the official release when one exists.

Bring the Love is definitely one of the worst ones I'm reading right now for errors and readability. If I didn't like the story I wouldn't be muddling through.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

My god.

I picked the worst time to burn through the Sword Dad light novels. Volume 8 just loving ends. It doesn't even count as a cliffhanger the back up already showed up. Basically stopped mid paragraph.

The next book isn't out till October.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Everything Burrito posted:

if you decide to read Jin consider reading it via the author's patreon (https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami) and drop him a few bucks for it instead of reading the scans.

Do you know if it's completely translated? Without subscribing, it seems like the last post was over a year ago and is titled, "Afterwords"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It is, yeah.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I started watching the anime about the guy with two personalities/memories (Seirei Gensouki). I'm really enjoying it and I was wondering if it stays good, or gets tedious like a lot of these.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

LorneReams posted:

I started watching the anime about the guy with two personalities/memories (Seirei Gensouki). I'm really enjoying it and I was wondering if it stays good, or gets tedious like a lot of these.

Well the series does have slavery in it if that's a turn off for you. I don't remember the mc approving or partaking other than freeing a slave assassin who then follows him because she's actually a girl from earth who had a crush on him who was also on the same bus. . Also somehow his siblings and his crush get isekaid and immediately captured by slavers. and promptly freed by mc

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

LorneReams posted:

I don't remember it ever swerving into anything creepy, just being extremely boring.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I guess that is what I mean, some of these start strong with a good premise and then meander and get dull.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Seirei Gensouki gets dull and repetitive over time. I guess it says something that it could hook me for almost a dozen volumes, in part because the LN deviates from the WN in a major way but then that ends up not mattering much due to the focus shift going the same way in both stories. It also gets super harem-y in that he's surrounded by ladies who all crush on him.

It sort of loses steam after he gets revenge. Especially because the guy just gets revived because the bad guys aren't strong enough to beat him but can totally get away with it time and time again.

Turns out, teleportation is OP.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Novelupdates just posted a home run:

Otherworld Reincarnation as the Peerless Exiled Villainess Sage Demon Lord Fail-skill Cheat Harem SSS Rank – Adding All the Trends Makes You the Strongest, But the Other World is Already Slow

It's a one-shot home run.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Description
The protagonist finds herself reincarnated in the world of an otome game.
Rei, the villainess, is a sage who was given a cheat skill that allows her to become a warrior, but to her surprise, she is ostracized by her party members. In addition, she also becomes a demon king. This is a fantasy that shows the true power of the “sage” skill that was said to be a flop.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I don't want to read it, but I'm going to have to see that cover

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

quote:

When I was reincarnated into this world, I was endowed with three powers from God.

One, all-purpose smartphone & laptop PC. In addition to connecting to the modern internet, it has 512 YB of data capacity, 128 EB of memory, and a CPU with many cores (65536 cores), the 10000th generation int●l CORE i99 (canst). The smartphone and PC that have been brought to me from the future have processing speeds that exceed my reaction time and are beyond crispy.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The best part? That never comes up again. It's just there in that paragraph and never referenced again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A PC that is from the very distant future that connects to the modern internet is probably going to be worthless.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

Description
The protagonist finds herself reincarnated in the world of an otome game.
Rei, the villainess, is a sage who was given a cheat skill that allows her to become a warrior, but to her surprise, she is ostracized by her party members. In addition, she also becomes a demon king. This is a fantasy that shows the true power of the “sage” skill that was said to be a flop.

Has there ever been a great series with that premise? Every time I see a "MC's job class is super-weak, but :actually:..." manga, they all seem to be thoroughly mediocre power fantasies.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A PC that is from the very distant future that connects to the modern internet is probably going to be worthless.

So it's like if someone got their hands on a bitcoin mining rig from 2021 but it only connects to poo poo like Livejournal, Neoseeker forums and AdventureQuest, while their search engine was Altavista.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Has there ever been a great series with that premise? Every time I see a "MC's job class is super-weak, but :actually:..." manga, they all seem to be thoroughly mediocre power fantasies.
The one that was just linked is a mediocre parody of mediocre power fantasies.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Does Dungeon Reset count?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

amigolupus posted:

So it's like if someone got their hands on a bitcoin mining rig from 2021 but it only connects to poo poo like Livejournal, Neoseeker forums and AdventureQuest, while their search engine was Altavista.

I imagine a future computer would just refuse to connect to any modern website (if it had future software) because it wouldn't be using the future's security policies which no website today would comply with. There'll probably be a bunch of then depreciated communication protocols that we use today that I won't have a clue how to interact with.

It'd also be very hard to restore it since you're not going to have any drivers for this far distant computer.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Nice thought experiment. Say you went back to the early 90s with a current computer...could you connect to a network? It seems like you would need to reverse engineer a bunch of poo poo and figure out how to update DNS entries and stuff.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Don't think much has changed about ethernet/ip routing fundamentally in that time. You might have to manually address the computer though?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

LorneReams posted:

Nice thought experiment. Say you went back to the early 90s with a current computer...could you connect to a network? It seems like you would need to reverse engineer a bunch of poo poo and figure out how to update DNS entries and stuff.

That doesn't really need a thought experiment. There are entire youtube channels devoted to this. It needs a lot of effort and special equipment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

VictualSquid posted:

That doesn't really need a thought experiment. There are entire youtube channels devoted to this. It needs a lot of effort and special equipment.

I thought most of those were the reverse, although I have seen people try to install win 3.1 on modern machines.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, like could I get a modern Iphone on any 90s cell network? It's something you really can't replicate and play with today.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, like could I get a modern Iphone on any 90s cell network? It's something you really can't replicate and play with today.

To be fair, network standards for phones change pretty often. It's at least remotely possible you could get a modern computer working on a 90s network.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, os emulation exists. the hardware would be more difficult.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

My "favorite" was one where the MC's super-weak skill was Appraisal. And you might be thinking "oh, he's going to be the only person ever to level it up and realize it actually reveals way more than basic information" but nope. Instead he gets his eye replaced with a magic prosthetic that gives him Super Appraisal which includes bullet time and precognition, plus he gets a bunch of combat and magic abilities beaten into him (he also gets the ability to take monster skills).

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

LorneReams posted:

afaik Ethernet does backwards compatibility so if it's a corporate network you're fine.

if you're trying to connect to the *internet* you'll need a modem, so before you time travel grab a USB 2.0 modem off amazon for about 40 bucks, then no modern browser will likely have issues connecting to any old website because plain HTML renders fine.

it might complain about nothing having a cert, but plenty of websites nowadays don't have certificates and you can use them at your leisure.

sadly, without finding an old Netscape or IE, <blink>will still not work :smithcloud:

edit: I will admit, you might have to reach out to the network admin for stuff like the DNS server, or manually enter your ip address if they aren't using dhcp, but windows and Linux never got rid of those menus, you can just do it

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I imagine you could use wayback machine to download a period specific DNS file locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

My "favorite" was one where the MC's super-weak skill was Appraisal. And you might be thinking "oh, he's going to be the only person ever to level it up and realize it actually reveals way more than basic information" but nope. Instead he gets his eye replaced with a magic prosthetic that gives him Super Appraisal which includes bullet time and precognition, plus he gets a bunch of combat and magic abilities beaten into him (he also gets the ability to take monster skills).

Didn't he also get "Transmute" or something?