Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Lot of doom and gloom around here so I thought I'd break things up with some good news.

My hometown of NYC just reported a 7-day average of 3 covid deaths. That's out of 8,419,000 new yorkers! Excellent!

meanwhile in my state there was a software error so the new numbers are not only extremely high but also "we haven't finished counting the ones from the past two days yet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Avian Pneumonia posted:

The overwhelming majority of whom were morbidly-obese diabetic octogenarians who had one foot out the door and little quality of life to begin with. Many - but not all - of them already bedbound and with terminal illnesses.

With an attitude like that, you could be Prime Minister of Great Britain

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Marmaduke! posted:

With an attitude like that, you could be Prime Minister of Great Britain

Maybe he already is

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The Westerner doesn't put the same high price on life as does others. Life is plentiful. Life is cheap in the West.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need a huge loving citation on that. Even if it's true (it's not), it's really lovely to suggest that old people, fat people, etc., have no quality of life and who gives a poo poo if they die. People have been edging in that direction the whole pandemic ("don't worry, it only affects people with preexisting conditions [and that's not us and they don't matter]"), but you sure did come out and say it.

It's good that the death toll is as low as it is. Be happy about that. But all of those people, even if they were 80 or fat or had asthma, mattered and were loved and died sooner than they would have otherwise. And people who are equally vulnerable are reading your post.

not when there's applebees to be had, AW. not while there's still applebees.

we gotta america at the applebees :911:

plus, I dunno what that guy is on about but deaths take a while to catch up. covid, generally speaking, takes a bit to kill.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

not when there's applebees to be had, AW. not while there's still applebees.

we gotta america at the applebees :911:

plus, I dunno what that guy is on about but deaths take a while to catch up. covid, generally speaking, takes a bit to kill.

Luckily I'm old enough to remember like ten months ago when Florida got rid of all precautions and even made some
mitigation measures illegal and everyone said WHOA THIS WILL BE A DISASTER you're going to get everyone killed!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If the delta r0 is seriously 8 or 9 then what does that mean for hitting a critical mass of people who are either vaccinated or have natural immunity? Obviously we have to hope an Ultra Delta variant doesn’t emerge, but if it stays basically the same then how fast does it just burn through the unvaccinated population who haven’t already gotten it? Is that what caused the UK cases to drop so fast after spiking last week?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mons Hubris posted:

If the delta r0 is seriously 8 or 9 then what does that mean for hitting a critical mass of people who are either vaccinated or have natural immunity? Obviously we have to hope an Ultra Delta variant doesn’t emerge, but if it stays basically the same then how fast does it just burn through the unvaccinated population who haven’t already gotten it? Is that what caused the UK cases to drop so fast after spiking last week?

No one knows.

The models are hot garbage, and I’m not knocking the modellers. They just don’t have enough good data to work with.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
we're gonna find out soon one way or another.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Honestly I'm just curious as to when it's going to mutate into a more lethal, transmissible AND vaccine resistant strain because the way things are going that's a worrying possibility

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Worthwhile information here on the benefits of masking for the vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/GlynnMacN/status/1420943594676969481?s=20

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
fuckin CDC.

Public advice is “lol if ur vaxxed wear masks if ur inside, maybe”

Private recommendation is “universal masking is essential”

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1420959411166658560?s=21

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

fuckin CDC.

gently caress the cdc get a respirator, use a pip boy cover for your tablet for your grocery list. full blown fallout.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

low key sex master posted:

Honestly I'm just curious as to when it's going to mutate into a more lethal, transmissible AND vaccine resistant strain because the way things are going that's a worrying possibility

Hell same

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

How long til that spike protein mutates nullifying all the vaccine efforts? It’s practically inevitable.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

latinotwink1997 posted:

How long til that spike protein mutates nullifying all the vaccine efforts? It’s practically inevitable.

It is not inevitable, and is in fact very unlikely. Here's a good twitter thread from a virologist PhD explaining why (it's too big to fully embed, but a very worthwhile read) -

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1420024559118524431?s=20

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

LanceHunter posted:

It is not inevitable, and is in fact very unlikely. Here's a good twitter thread from a virologist PhD explaining why (it's too big to fully embed, but a very worthwhile read) -

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1420024559118524431?s=20

:unsmith:

that makes me feel a bit better

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

fuckin CDC.

So CDC dumb and all, but EFD is not worth posting. He's been a terrible source of information pretty much the entire pandemic. Even when he's right, you can find a million other sources that don't have as lovely of a track record as he does.

Mons Hubris posted:

If the r0 is 8 or 9, vaccination is ineffective for herd immunity unless the efficacy is above 95% and even then you're talking about unachievable levels of vaccination.

Herd Immunity can be calculated like this 1-(1/r0). So 1-(1/8) is 87.5%. That seems achievable for at least some countries, but global elimination is not happening at that level. However, that's for a perfectly effective vaccine.

So to calculate the Herd Immunity threshold with our vaccine we divide that threshold by the efficacy of our vaccine. For this we'll use 85%, that's actually a higher efficacy than even mRNA vaccines have against Delta, but I'm choosing this for the sake of illustration.

.875 / .85 = 1.029. This means that over 100% of people would need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity with an 85% efficacy vaccine.

.875 / .95 = .921 This means that 92.1% of people would need to be vaccinated with an 95% effective vaccine. Even if we do get a booster or new vaccine that gets efficacy up to that level, I don't think you'll see that level of vaccination anywhere.

How that mixes with naturally acquired immunity, from Delta infection since I keep hearing that naturally acquired immunity from the wild type or other variants is not effective against Delta, I don't know, but I assume you'd still need a hell of a lot of people to get sick, even with a large portion of them being vaccinated with an effective vaccine.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 30, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blooster posted:

No BS I just showed her your post and now she's keeping them home.

Good to hear, hope you find a safer (isolated) swimming activity for the family instead.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

So CDC dumb and all, but EFD is not worth posting. He's been a terrible source of information pretty much the entire pandemic. Even when he's right, you can find a million other sources that don't have as lovely of a track record as he does.

yeah but he already pulled the graphic of the slide where it said the thing and i am lazy

i’m jaded about the CDC and how they treat the public with kid gloves

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone provide me the skinny on masking?

At the beginning of this whole thing, my understanding (possibly flawed) was that masks were fundamentally to protect others, because the mask wearer may be asymptomatic and their exhalation might spread the virus to others, so wearing a mask (in addition to social distancing) helped reduce how many particulates were being sent out to potentially spread and infect others, with the understanding that if you actually had any symptoms, you should be getting tested or at a minimum staying home until a while after your symptoms go away.

I heard next to nothing about masks being useful in protecting the mask wearer, though intuitively that seems like it makes sense for the same reason it would protect others--less potentially infectious air particles getting into your body through your mouth and nose.

My wife and I and our 4 year old all caught Covid from her daycare several months ago, which was thankfully mild and we've recovered as far as I know. My wife and I are also vaccinated with two Pfizer doses.

But now increasingly I keep hearing about wearing masks to protect myself. If I want to protect my family as much as possible, what type of masks would actually help protect us when we go places? We've been wearing cloth masks my wife made, but up thread someone was saying cloth masks are basically useless which if true is infuriating because they're extremely common and obviously people assume they are serving some purpose.

I'm as exhausted with all this like everyone else, but I'm not a baby and will mask up--but I'm not into theater, so if the cloth mask isn't going to help against Delta, I want masks that will help protect us and others.

Did I get anything wrong about masks? I feel like there's been so little actual guidance, and I've been taking the pandemic seriously, that I'm not sure how someone not paying attention would have any idea how to mask properly.

We're in the US, so if anyone has links to good masks, I'd be appreciative.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

A Strange Aeon posted:

At the beginning of this whole thing, my understanding (possibly flawed) was that masks were fundamentally to protect others, because the mask wearer may be asymptomatic and their exhalation might spread the virus to others, so wearing a mask (in addition to social distancing) helped reduce how many particulates were being sent out to potentially spread and infect others, with the understanding that if you actually had any symptoms, you should be getting tested or at a minimum staying home until a while after your symptoms go away.

I heard next to nothing about masks being useful in protecting the mask wearer, though intuitively that seems like it makes sense for the same reason it would protect others--less potentially infectious air particles getting into your body through your mouth and nose.

My wife and I and our 4 year old all caught Covid from her daycare several months ago, which was thankfully mild and we've recovered as far as I know. My wife and I are also vaccinated with two Pfizer doses.

But now increasingly I keep hearing about wearing masks to protect myself. If I want to protect my family as much as possible, what type of masks would actually help protect us when we go places? We've been wearing cloth masks my wife made, but up thread someone was saying cloth masks are basically useless which if true is infuriating because they're extremely common and obviously people assume they are serving some purpose.

I'm as exhausted with all this like everyone else, but I'm not a baby and will mask up--but I'm not into theater, so if the cloth mask isn't going to help against Delta, I want masks that will help protect us and others.

Did I get anything wrong about masks? I feel like there's been so little actual guidance, and I've been taking the pandemic seriously, that I'm not sure how someone not paying attention would have any idea how to mask properly.

cloth masks are definitely not enough when a bunch of ppl aren't wearing masks at all (and especially not now with delta being so much more transmissible). you want a kn95 type mask at least. you could also get a more heavy duty respirator but i haven't used those so i don't have as much info on them.

here's a site that sells kn95s:
https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Here are some links to get you started:

More “normal”:
https://www.airpophealth.com/us/airpop-light-se-4pcs-white (this brand also has kid-size masks)

More secure, look like an 80’s movie bad guy grunt:
S (might still be too big/too much for a kid): https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Half-Mask-Respirator-55MY57
M: https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Half-Mask-Respirator-55MY58
L: https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Half-Mask-Respirator-55MY59

Filters: https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Combination-Cartridge-Filter-55MY76

The respirators look intimidating and bulky, but they are by far more comfortable than anything else I’ve tried if you don’t overtighten them. Even if they might be overkill, that alone is sufficient reason to consider them.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

For those of you interested in joining the half or full mask respirator crew the second post of the C-SPAM covid thread actually has a really good breakdown of everything you need to know!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
N95 or KN95 Masks provide reasonable levels of protection. They very much need a good fit though. It's been a while since I read about it, so I'd have to dig up the study, but one issue is that masks with better filtration will pull a greater percentage of the air through the leaks if they are present. Leaving you in a situation where your protection is worse in a poorly fit N95 than a cloth mask. This is also true for a lot of the thicker cloth masks, the ones with things like hepa filters, etc.

Cloth masks work alright if everyone is wearing them but are pretty mediocre. I don't think I'd trust a cloth mask alone in a situation where others aren't wearing masks.

Basically, wear an N95 or KN95, but you really need to make sure the fit is good. Gaps around the nose, chin, cheeks, etc can really drop their effectiveness.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
N95s are fine and the children’s versions are “less scratchy” than your three ply PPE.

Putting a respirator on a four year old is going to be loving terrifying for them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
N95s/KN95s don't fit me well because I have a big nose. On the other hand, if I put on my half-face respirator, I can't smell anything (even if you were to empty a can of Febreze in front of me). I'm guessing that means the fit is good.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious about those airpop masks posted above. Anyone used them? The say they have a flexible/cushioned bit inside the nose portion and that seems like it would be a big improvement for the hardest part to get fit. Edit: Grabbed a 4 pack of them to try em.

Another detail to remember is that facial hair greatly reduces the effectiveness of masks, even the full face respirators with flexible rubber edges for seals will fail if your beard keeps the it from making contact with your skin.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 30, 2021

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

low key sex master posted:

That was always a possibility, which is why high vaccination rate was essential.

I personally think we missed that window now.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

A Strange Aeon posted:

You are 100% correct in that from the beginning all I heard was that the mask was to protect others, not yourself. All of a sudden out of nowhere (I'd say about 9 or 10 months ago), that message completely died. My assumption is that higher ups in government realized how loving selfish the average American is and decided to stop saying that, because they knew more people would wear masks if it was to protect themselves and not others.

As for masks, here's some N95 ones for kids: https://shopvida.com/products/kids-fda-registered-kn95-face-mask

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Also the AFL-CIO president just came out in favor of forced vaccinations for all employees so that's good at least.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blooster posted:

Also the AFL-CIO president just came out in favor of forced vaccinations for all employees so that's good at least.
Good, some other public unions have been lovely about this

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Objective Action posted:

For those of you interested in joining the half or full mask respirator crew the second post of the C-SPAM covid thread actually has a really good breakdown of everything you need to know!

Just curious, what’s the difference between the C-SPAM Covid thread and this one? I one read a few bookmarked threads these days so I haven’t visited the other.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

liz posted:

Just curious, what’s the difference between the C-SPAM Covid thread and this one? I one read a few bookmarked threads these days so I haven’t visited the other.

It's an extremely doomer thread.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

How are u posted:

It's an extremely doomer thread.

What about the other one?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

liz posted:

the main difference is that we're always right about everything months in advance

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I lurk the cspam thread it moves lightning fast.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Rename it the Delta thread imho

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Blooster posted:

You are 100% correct in that from the beginning all I heard was that the mask was to protect others, not yourself. All of a sudden out of nowhere (I'd say about 9 or 10 months ago), that message completely died. My assumption is that higher ups in government realized how loving selfish the average American is and decided to stop saying that, because they knew more people would wear masks if it was to protect themselves and not others.

As for masks, here's some N95 ones for kids: https://shopvida.com/products/kids-fda-registered-kn95-face-mask

It's been months since I read about it but the understanding on masks evolved and we now know good ones help protect the wearer. Especially N95 masks which we have always known will protect the wearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

liz posted:

they're mostly rooting for covid because they're a bunch of misanthropes