Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Back Hack posted:

So, here are two of my designs that seem to working out for me, they're essentially better Gladiators.

Tallboy: Armed with 4x100mm autocannons and a chain-gun, with options for a couple external missiles and plenty of APS. Basically my workhorse.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b-aPXTJGGeKYtswxemSeGIt5ZEnWIYlo?usp=sharing

Nutcracker: Wielding 2xchain-guns, 2x100mm autocannons, 1x180mm cannon, and internal missile bay of missiles. Basically my cruiser killer, missiles and the cannons put big holes in the armor at a distant, while the chain-guns rip apart the internals components at close-range.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wiu2eJmgHsJ0G8vFmZJzuGO0fZIkHh3P?usp=sharing

I have some similar designs for Strike Cruisers. I guess the big disadvantage is your task force uses a lot more fuel which seriously bogs you down on the strategic layer (shorter range+time refueling). Ive been experimenting with a more agile fleet of lightnings and missile variants of lightnings and it ends up feeling more RNG dependent though.

going to experiment with having multiple Skylarks and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Back Hack posted:

So, here are two of my designs that seem to working out for me, they're essentially better Gladiators.

Tallboy: Armed with 4x100mm autocannons and a chain-gun, with options for a couple external missiles and plenty of APS. Basically my workhorse.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b-aPXTJGGeKYtswxemSeGIt5ZEnWIYlo?usp=sharing

Nutcracker: Wielding 2xchain-guns, 2x100mm autocannons, 1x180mm cannon, and internal missile bay of missiles. Basically my cruiser killer, missiles and the cannons put big holes in the armor at a distant, while the chain-guns rip apart the internals components at close-range.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wiu2eJmgHsJ0G8vFmZJzuGO0fZIkHh3P?usp=sharing

The tallboy is awesome so far. Early ships can't punch through the armor and so repair time and cost is way down.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Trying a new strategy of splitting my taskforce up and attacking multiple targets at once. Seems pretty effective, plus you can triangulate enemy positions better with multipl skylarks.

Sevastpol

Skylark
2x Lightning
Rook

Skylark
2x Lightning
Rook

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This game is cool so far. The ship designer is very intimidating.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
I find cruise missles on the tactical layer to be super underwhelming, though I might just be using them on poor targets. A full launch of 4 at a strike group might splash one of their vehicles, and they seem like overkill on towns i'd just get a sudden strike on. I haven't been able to track down any carrier groups yet but maybe those are better cruise missile targets. ALso on a campaign I knew was already hosed I decided to launch nukes and literally 2 hours later I was massively retaliated against. It was powerful.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The bug? where your ship's engines will start up on the launch pad if you move the camera with WASD is bonkers. There's even a voice clip for it what the hell lol

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

dead gay comedy forums posted:

are there any early must-have modifications for the ships?

If you get a Gladiator, slap some armor plating on the underbelly. It costs a pittance, takes like two hours, and drastically increases its lifespan in combat. You don't even have to do a great job with it, just giving it more than the literal nothing it starts with will make a huge difference. The same applies to any other tough ship with similar blind spots (the Gepard comes to mind), but the Gladiator is a common sight and probably the poster child for 270 degree coverage.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lexorin posted:

I'd like this a lot better if it had a longer aiming arrow, like say, all the way across the screen. I spend more time missing and getting blown up then anything else.

Yeah you just kinda have to realize that due to the spread and the target moving, the slow rounds, you need to get kind of close to do decent damage in chunks with the normal ammo.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

More options for the testing lab beyond "here's an army glhf" would definitely be appreciated especially if what you want to test is a small ship. Also a quick arcade mode or something would be lovely. There's no real opportunity to practice or just fire it up to go hog wild with some big guns, which is what i want to do today and not have to bother with the map layer.

A million times this. You should be able to test out any ship in an environment of your choice and against any enemies or scenarios of your choice.

Robo Turnus posted:

Do yourself a favor and manually mark them on your radar using the pencil tho. I landed at one and then forgot where it was. You can rest at hidden cities indefinitely and it seems like the game says no one can find you there.

Do hidden cities have full supply and shipyard shops? I didn't even know about them.

Michaellaneous posted:

If you think proxy is insane, wait until you get AP. You need to aim, but it can kill basically any ship in a few rounds at most.

Can someone tell me HOW do you select the ammo you want to use at any given time?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
You can hit 'R' to cycle ammo.

I'm like 8 hours in and I still have no idea what half the dials, buttons and toggles do on the command screen.
...and the ones I do understand I'm sure I'm not using properly.

Feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
As far as I understand ammo selection has to happen before the battle.

Ed: I'm wrong, I guess.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Before battle on the screen where you arrange your ships' appearance order, you should get an extra ammunition icon on top of your ship. Click on that and you can pick one type of special ammo to bring with the ship. Your ship will default to use the special ammo but you can hit R to switch to regular ammo if you want.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pirate Radar posted:

As far as I understand ammo selection has to happen before the battle.

poo poo I just realized I already asked that question and someone already answered. I just wasn't seeing it before on the battle prep screen.

If you run out of special ammo does it go back to normal I assume?

ErKeL posted:

You can hit 'R' to cycle ammo.

I'm like 8 hours in and I still have no idea what half the dials, buttons and toggles do on the command screen.
...and the ones I do understand I'm sure I'm not using properly.

Feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface.

Oh, cool thanks for that that's good to know. Switching ammo on the fly could make combat a little more deep and tactical.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Play posted:

Yeah you just kinda have to realize that due to the spread and the target moving, the slow rounds, you need to get kind of close to do decent damage in chunks with the normal ammo.

A million times this. You should be able to test out any ship in an environment of your choice and against any enemies or scenarios of your choice.

Do hidden cities have full supply and shipyard shops? I didn't even know about them.

Can someone tell me HOW do you select the ammo you want to use at any given time?

You can replace the aiming line sprite to make it longer but I don't think it actually helps much. Your shots are affected by inertia and gravity and a long straight line doesn't help you there. Still I could upload my experiments with it later today when I get home. It's in Midground2 IIRC.

You can find hidden cities visually, or with ground directed radar, or maybe with IR? Kind of hard to find anything on IR though.

Select the ammo type you want in your secondary slot in the battle prep screen and then press R during battle to swap to it (you'll have to wait for it to be loaded). You'll see a little red light come on above the magazine display to indicate you're using special ammo.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 30, 2021

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

lets hang out posted:

You can replace the aiming line sprite to make it longer but I don't think it actually helps much. Your shots are affected by inertia and gravity and a long straight line doesn't help you there. Still I could upload my experiments with it later today when I get home. It's in Midground2 IIRC.

You can find hidden cities visually, or with ground directed radar, or maybe with IR? Kind of hard to find anything on IR though.

Select the ammo type you want in your secondary slot in the battle prep screen and then press R during battle to swap to it (you'll have to wait for it to be loaded). You'll see a little red light come on above the magazine display to indicate you're using special ammo.

Wait, do you have to swap to it? I haven't looked over at the magazine display during battle in a while, I just guesstimate the reload time.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
It seemed like a bad idea for your flagship to be a big, slow, dumb brawler like the Sevastopol, so here's my take on a hybrid fleet carrier/guided missile flagship, the Moskva. It's loosely inspired by the real life Moskva and Kiev-class carriers. :v:

-more speed than the Sevastopol
-cheaper
-slightly worse range
-better TWR, easier to land
-6 missile tubes to taste
-6 CIWS
-11 AA missiles
-5 interceptors
-6 fighter-bombers
-all of the sensors
-jammers

Obviously, never ever take this into direct combat, but it's actually more durable than it looks. It's able to win most of the time against the test fleets in the shipworks and is quite survivable against missile strikes. The fuel tanks are decently armored and it has plenty of fire suppression. Also, like the Sevastopol, it only has escape pods for 1/3 of the crew, but if you're at the point where that's an issue you've already lost.

If you wanna use this thing, here ya go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jIDnmOSYgKGtVB7F7jV_nGq9izBfoizn. It has the m_flagship=true tag so you can throw your Sevastopol right in the trash where it belongs!

Top Gun Reference fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 21, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, do you have to swap to it? I haven't looked over at the magazine display during battle in a while, I just guesstimate the reload time.

Yeah you have to swap to it. You always go into battle with your infinite HE rounds selected, and R swaps to the special ammo type you selected during prep.

Unrelated: found this helpful video explaining how all the map-level missiles work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4O3etdR2Mo

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 30, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Pirate Radar posted:

If you choose a special ammo in the pre-battle screen, that ship will enter with that ammo already in the feed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The RWR just being a mimic of actual Soviet RWRs is pretty neat. It's functional and if you've played DCS it's immediately familiar.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ceebees posted:

If you choose a special ammo in the pre-battle screen, that ship will enter with that ammo already in the feed.

Good, that's what I thought.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I really had no idea how the starting fleet construction 'cruising range' works. Can easily have a ship with 16000 range and it'll have shorter legs than a stock sevastopol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Top Gun Reference posted:

It seemed like a bad idea for your flagship to be a big, slow, dumb brawler like the Sevastopol, so here's my take on a hybrid fleet carrier/guided missile flagship, the Moskva. It's loosely inspired by the real life Moskva and Kiev-class carriers. :v:

-more speed than the Sevastopol
-cheaper
-slightly worse range
-better TWR, easier to land
-6 missile tubes to taste
-6 CIWS
-11 AA missiles
-5 interceptors
-6 fighter-bombers
-all of the sensors
-jammers

Obviously, never ever take this into direct combat, but it's actually more durable than it looks. It's able to win most of the time against the test fleets in the shipworks and is quite survivable against missile strikes. The fuel tanks are decently armored and it has plenty of fire suppression. Also, like the Sevastopol, it only has escape pods for 1/3 of the crew, but if you're at the point where that's an issue you've already lost.

If you wanna use this thing, here ya go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jIDnmOSYgKGtVB7F7jV_nGq9izBfoizn?usp=sharing. It has the m_flagship=true tag so you can throw your Sevastopol right in the trash where it belongs!

This is perfect and almost exactly what I end up converting it to!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you apparently can unlock over flagships, one of which is a fleet carrier like that, but gently caress if anyone knows how I guess

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im having a constant, across campaign bug and its breaking my mind. Basically none of my ships can get completely repaired. Like it doesnt matter how minor the damage is, if I have spare parts in stock, if im in a ship repair town or rare mats town. Basically sometimes it says it cant repair the ship, like it wont let me, or when the repairs are done there is still damage shown on the ship in combat. And it always says the ship is damaged when landing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gaj posted:

Im having a constant, across campaign bug and its breaking my mind. Basically none of my ships can get completely repaired. Like it doesnt matter how minor the damage is, if I have spare parts in stock, if im in a ship repair town or rare mats town. Basically sometimes it says it cant repair the ship, like it wont let me, or when the repairs are done there is still damage shown on the ship in combat. And it always says the ship is damaged when landing.

When fleets merge together it aborts any repairs in progress (already purchased parts go into your stock). Could that be the cause of your problem?

It's something I have to account for every time my sudden strike forces land in towns ahead of the main fleet.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Captured Kiva

Thought that was the end of the game, but LOL NOPE. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now though? I keep getting nuked the instant I fly to the nearest city to refuel.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I have jumped in on the trend of designing your own fleet murdering monster cruiser to start the game with and have ended up designing this:

Expensive but you CAN start with it and it seems to be able to basically be invulnerable to everything apart from nukes, though it also has excellent point defense fire thanks to four chain guns. Why is it quite so big and with that empty space? Because by surrounding the central structure sufficiently I was able to give every single gun a 360 degree field of fire, this block of armour can fire in any direction despite having a huge fuel tank and good range. I should probably try to 'square off' the shape more and rely more on fixed thrusters for greater efficiency with armour and fuel consumption though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Are jammers the unlabelled barrel looking things?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

Are jammers the unlabelled barrel looking things?

C

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Patrat posted:

I have jumped in on the trend of designing your own fleet murdering monster cruiser to start the game with and have ended up designing this:

Expensive but you CAN start with it and it seems to be able to basically be invulnerable to everything apart from nukes, though it also has excellent point defense fire thanks to four chain guns. Why is it quite so big and with that empty space? Because by surrounding the central structure sufficiently I was able to give every single gun a 360 degree field of fire, this block of armour can fire in any direction despite having a huge fuel tank and good range. I should probably try to 'square off' the shape more and rely more on fixed thrusters for greater efficiency with armour and fuel consumption though.

Are you actually taking out multiple strike group light cruisers with that thing without ending up with half your armor blown off and fifty hour repair times? Because the problem with these one big armored bastard builds is you have every sg on the map headed to your location every time you touch a city because you'll never catch them off guard and the need to wait out the salvage timers and refuel means you can't stay ahead

I did manage to bull my way to the second save point city with one big dumb flying brick of my own design but the amount of fire just keeps stacking up

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 30, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
If anything I think the flagship should be a quick tanker + electronics mast. Maybe throw on 2 cruise missile tubes and some CIWS and it could be as cheap as 50k.

The Sevastopol starts at 150k and having that extra cash on hand is a great way to get 2 independent strike groups running around at the start.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gaj posted:

If anything I think the flagship should be a quick tanker + electronics mast. Maybe throw on 2 cruise missile tubes and some CIWS and it could be as cheap as 50k.

The Sevastopol starts at 150k and having that extra cash on hand is a great way to get 2 independent strike groups running around at the start.

yeah but that's not as fun as deploying the Battle Brick and lighting up everything you see with heavy artillery

you can go even further if you do what that one guy did and manage to get the wheels that the ground AA guns use into the ship editor because with those your brick doesn't even need to be able to fly

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Gaj posted:

So it looks like every block/part whatever, when affixed to your ship, has a durability. I found this correlates to the red indicator on the ship display. You can only repair so much and ultimately parts lose effectiveness. One of my lightnings is a couple kph slower because of this. You can restore durability by tearing it down and building it right back up. No time pressure! e: it was a fever dream

I have waited so long for this game it's giving me exactly what I was looking for. I love it.

incoherent light fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 31, 2021

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

incoherent light posted:

So it looks like every block/part whatever, when affixed to your ship, has a durability. I found this correlates to the red indicator on the ship display. You can only repair so much and ultimately parts lose effectiveness. One of my lightnings is a couple kph slower because of this. You can restore durability by tearing it down and building it right back up. No time pressure!

I have waited so long for this game it's giving me exactly what I was looking for. I love it.

I think that "durability" is just another way of saying HP. You don't need to do a teardown to repair it, you just have to right-click it. No, putting the repair slider all the way up doesn't do this, I don't know why.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

This also seems to explain the display of a cost for removing and replacing an item with itself, from your inventory - you're resetting the durability and so you get charged.

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

I think that "durability" is just another way of saying HP. You don't need to do a teardown to repair it, you just have to right-click it. No, putting the repair slider all the way up doesn't do this, I don't know why.

More experimenting on the way!

e: thanks for the tip about right clicking!

incoherent light fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 31, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can change the aiming line by going to \steamapps\common\HighFleet\Media\Tex\ and editing Midground2.png and Midground2.res. the latter can be opened with notepad. "Animation sign_arrow" is what you're looking for.

Here's about the longest one I could fit onto the sprite sheet while keeping the same design. It's pretty awkward to swing around and doesn't really help, I don't recommend it.

Here's a shorter one that doesn't require you to replace the res file. It might help a little? Easier to see while you're getting blown up I guess.

you can just delete the files you replaced and have steam verify the game files to redownload the originals. What I really wish is that I could find a way to change the color of the arrow so it doesn't blend as much into fiery explosions.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Are you actually taking out multiple strike group light cruisers with that thing without ending up with half your armor blown off and fifty hour repair times? Because the problem with these one big armored bastard builds is you have every sg on the map headed to your location every time you touch a city because you'll never catch them off guard and the need to wait out the salvage timers and refuel means you can't stay ahead

I did manage to bull my way to the second save point city with one big dumb flying brick of my own design but the amount of fire just keeps stacking up

So far at least it has never had more than a few hours of repair time but I have already redesigned it to have less fuel storage in order to improve efficiency, this is the updated design:

Not much cheaper but it burns significantly less fuel to move around and still has sufficient range. The general rule seems to be that if you keep all of your damage to armour then you are fine, so long as I avoid using nukes then I am also not having issues with long ranged missile fire from strike groups.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Patrat posted:

So far at least it has never had more than a few hours of repair time but I have already redesigned it to have less fuel storage in order to improve efficiency, this is the updated design:

Not much cheaper but it burns significantly less fuel to move around and still has sufficient range. The general rule seems to be that if you keep all of your damage to armour then you are fine, so long as I avoid using nukes then I am also not having issues with long ranged missile fire from strike groups.

So is the game plan with these giant bricks to simply smash every strike force on the map, or do you also bring a few lighter craft along to take cities?

...are there a limited number of strike forces on the map? Is it actually possible to depopulate them?

incoherent light posted:

e: thanks for the tip about right clicking!

I really, really hope the fact that putting the repair slider all the way to the right sometimes doesn't repair everything is just a bug and not inscrutable grog logic thing.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

I really had no idea how the starting fleet construction 'cruising range' works. Can easily have a ship with 16000 range and it'll have shorter legs than a stock sevastopol

You don't start with a full fuel tank so adding more ships only lower your cruise range until you can refuel.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

So is the game plan with these giant bricks to simply smash every strike force on the map, or do you also bring a few lighter craft along to take cities?

...are there a limited number of strike forces on the map? Is it actually possible to depopulate them?

I really, really hope the fact that putting the repair slider all the way to the right sometimes doesn't repair everything is just a bug and not inscrutable grog logic thing.

There are only five strike forces on the map and once they are gone they are gone, it is very useful to grab a Tarkan ASAP to get a frigate or something though because then you have something which can land more practically or detach to raid cargo fleets.

That said the brick linked above can typically fight... Well anything I have had it fight so far, without losing a single module, thus leading to zero cost repairs that last only a few hours at most.

Edit: But it also cannot land, the legs just snap off then the fuel tank ruptures and it explodes. May need to fix that.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
There's a lot of jank in this game, and I sure hope it's gonna get some updates. But despite that all, the core battle gameplay feels good, so it's got a lot of promise.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to rest my eyes after a couple hours of peering through all those ultra-heavy effects trying to keep track of everything.