Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm glad that TK has decided it's time for Hangman to pay his dues and look forward to him being jobbed out for the next 6 months. After he's proved that he wants it he will be ready to become AEW champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i thought face announcer jr was just expressing disgust at the horrendous violence the heel mjf was subjecting the face chris jericho through his hired mercenary nick gage, but i guess he was actually just openly hating the product on television

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ivypls posted:

i thought face announcer jr was just expressing disgust at the horrendous violence the heel mjf was subjecting the face chris jericho through his hired mercenary nick gage, but i guess he was actually just openly hating the product on television

With Jim Ross it can, and often is, both at the same time.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Was JR ever this cranky outside of AEW?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

aew is so good lol. thank you tony thank you kenny thank you adam thank you jim

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

JT Smiley posted:

Was JR ever this cranky outside of AEW?

When he was calling Smackdown with Mick Foley he got close

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tony: "Ok guys, I think we'll have Hangman go over and then he can win the belt at All Out. Sound good?"
Hangman: "TK, we're doing something special here. We're telling a story that's very different. I think we should think out the box. Have Kenny go over and then I'll get so depressed I kill myself. It's a work obviously but I'll just never be on TV again. People won't stop talking about this, trust me."

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jr was amazing all night last night wtf. nick gage makes him wanna puke!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

jr was amazing all night last night wtf. nick gage makes him wanna puke!!

people deciding that everything JR says on commentary is actually him expressing some kind of deep seated disgust and hatred of his employer is amazing lmao

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Christian is the best, I hope he beats Kenny for the title

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
the only worry I have about hangman not winning the match this week is if they're setting him up to give up and go back to the elite for a 2021 vs 2016 bullet club angle.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

Oh stop being disingenuous.

no you

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jim’s still got the smoke

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

the only worry I have about hangman not winning the match this week is if they're setting him up to give up and go back to the elite for a 2021 vs 2016 bullet club angle.

bro WHAT??

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

explosivo posted:

JR was unusually cantankerous this wednesday and it was starting to get kind of annoying by the end of the show but it seems like he has good night and bad nights :shrug:

"That Bass Drum has a family!" will go down as one of the greatest commentary lines in the history of wrestling.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

keeping my fingers crossed that the story plays out but some nagging feeling has me thinking adam page will put on a dino mask and feud with luchasaurus.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

"trombones have no place in wrestling" - a grumpy man who hates his employer

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

yea ok posted:

keeping my fingers crossed that the story plays out but some nagging feeling has me thinking adam page will put on a dino mask and feud with luchasaurus.

lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Davros1 posted:

"That Bass Drum has a family!" will go down as one of the greatest commentary lines in the history of wrestling.

Yeah that whole bit was incredible and that line really made it a classic.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I never said JR hated AEW as a whole, but either he was truly disgusted by what was going on with Gage, or he's the best face commentator ever

end result is the same

"COMMUNITY FORK!" is also an all-timer

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tao of lmao posted:

"trombones have no place in wrestling" - a grumpy man who hates his employer

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MJeff posted:

Also btw Punk/Darby isn't main eventing over the title. That's not happening, not in a million years, if anything it should OPEN the show.

Now, MJF/Jericho for Jericho's career?

Thaaaaaaat might main event over the title.

Something tells me Darby’s going to do a promo in ring, he’ll get interrupted before he can lay out the challenge directly and he and Sting will be beaten down by… *spins wheel* Butcher and The Blade, and then “Cult of Personality” will hit and the United Center’s roof will be located somewhere in Canada months later, once it’s fallen back to earth. And then it’s Punk & Darby w/ Sting vs Butcher & Blade w/ The Bunny at All Out when after balancing things out a bit, Punk cuts a promo that sets it up.

Punk can put Darby over sometime later but doing a tag match for the semi-main under whatever the AEW title match seems to circle most squares for what you might want to do - Darby gets a rub from the association with Punk, you don’t have the awkwardness of “hottest young star in company vs. returning legend” as the first match back, Punk doesn’t have to be in perfect ring shape (so you don’t end up with a huge signing who pulls a muscle or busts a ligament first match in), Punk gets to work with Sting and mark out a bit, you can do the finish of “Punk GTSes Blade and Darby follows up with the Coffin Drop to win it” and you can set up that, yeah, down the line, there will be Darby Allin vs. CM Punk - but in due time. With proper build. Because it’s a big match, a dream match, so there’s a lot of money to be made in the build, too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ivypls posted:

Especially with MJF actually there on commentary openly delighting in the violence

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The easiest way to divert Hangman is to run Hangman vs Matt Jackson at All Out. There's no way fans would cool on him if he finally put that piece of poo poo in his place

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yea ok posted:

aew is so good lol. thank you tony thank you kenny thank you adam thank you jim

and most importantly, thank you

cody rhodes

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Alaois posted:

people deciding that everything JR says on commentary is actually him expressing some kind of deep seated disgust and hatred of his employer is amazing lmao

yea this, i thought he was really good wednesday night

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

"Not gonna watch All Out" has the same vibes as this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

The easiest way to divert Hangman is to run Hangman vs Matt Jackson at All Out. There's no way fans would cool on him if he finally put that piece of poo poo in his place

dang, that's a good idea, i'd love to see that match

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bless whoever came up with this, one of the most amazing moments of 2021 -- and it's stiff competition.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

boxcarhobo posted:

and most importantly, thank you

cody rhodes

You know, there’s a lot of things happening in AEW today…

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

You know, there’s a lot of things happening in AEW today…

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if Kenny forces Hangman into a series of escalating matches with his friends and unexpected outsiders from his past in order to finally get his shot back?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Adam Hangman Page's Title Chances, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about AEW's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Adam Hangman Page's Title Chances. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Tony Khan is a murderer. He killed Adam Hangman Page's Title Chances. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Tony Khan. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out Tony Khan as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could point to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best promoter he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a promoter since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a promoter had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not smart enough to be a promoter was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Tony Khan in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a wrestling promoter. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He had big biceps. The only thing he had going for him was his dad's money. He wasn't a third generation promoter. He wasn't physically gifted other than his big biceps. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest promoters in history. By 38 years-old.

Tony Khan was only 38, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end Adam Hangman Page's Title Chances the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Kenny Omega and the other EVP's, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could strangle Adam Hangman Page's Title Chances only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for the Dark Order, and not for their child -1.

Tony Khan owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Wednesdays and (coming soon) Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Adam Hangman Page's Title Chances are dead. And Tony Khan is a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Tony Khan was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The dark order directly to hangman, “you’re afraid of failure. But that’s okay. Failing is fine as long as you get back up.”

*hangman loses a 1v3*

Smart fans, “this is stupid and ignores storytelling. Why would he fail? He’s made the journey”

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will also make poo poo up wholesale on what people are annoyed about

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ARMBAR A COP posted:

"Not gonna watch All Out" has the same vibes as this

If you threaten to boycott entertainment and they don’t give into your demands, what options do you really have?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Hangman is cool and all but I want to just state that I desperately want a Bryan Danielson vs John Silver feud more than almost anything in prograps

Thank you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sega 32X posted:

Hangman is cool and all but I want to just state that I desperately want a Bryan Danielson vs John Silver feud more than almost anything in prograps

Thank you all

it was so good to have Meatman back