Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played a bunch of the Ascent and its got some issues. The biggest one is the bug that makes it so you can only fire a couple bullets out of your gun (or none at all). It seems to be triggered by weapon swapping so it wasnt an issue until it reliably became a problem in a bossfight.

Said bossfight, a spiderboss, was completely out of line with the difficulty. I have no idea what I was doing wrong with it but it felt like it was custom designed to absolutely savage my build and choice options and I died so many times to it I leveled up twice. Just a complete fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is the Ascent better played with a controller or kb+m

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

Is the Ascent better played with a controller or kb+m

Keyboard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I pre-downloaded flight simulator and then my game pass expired and I guess it deleted the game? When I renewed I had to download the whole thing again. :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Ascent's map is so bad that I now just don't use it and rely on the guidance pings. A good map should convey information at a glance, this one is just hot garbage. It's a confluence of the fact that the environments are so dense with vertical layers, and also that they've been too fancy with it. Just give me a simple 2D image with clearly defined boundaries and save your fancy graphics for the rest of the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I think the key to roaming in FS is keeping in mind that it doesn’t make boring places interesting.

The crummy looking reservoir close to where I grew up looks like a boring crummy reservoir in the game. Meanwhile, the gorgeous bays and inlets of a place like Lake Coeur d'Alene are incredible in the game.

I’ve been sticking to the Discover flights which are very cool but a lot of stuff outside of them like you said is not super exciting

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Landing a seaplane is so satisfying. One day I'll figure out how to take off again with one.

John F Bennett posted:

I don't think The Ascent is for me. I can't handle the controls, never played a twin-stick shooter before and it feels awkward. I also can't get past the intro mission because I keep dying so back to Flight Sim!

New day so I gave it another shot. It's getting better and maybe I even enjoyed myself. Just finished the intro, this time without dying even once. I just have to practice twin-stick shooter controls and I'm sure I'll decrease the difficulty level eventually as well. Game looks very good, very atmospheric.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 30, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bardeh posted:

The Ascent's map is so bad that I now just don't use it and rely on the guidance pings. A good map should convey information at a glance, this one is just hot garbage. It's a confluence of the fact that the environments are so dense with vertical layers, and also that they've been too fancy with it. Just give me a simple 2D image with clearly defined boundaries and save your fancy graphics for the rest of the game.

Also for the love of god if you’re going to have a multilayered map tell me if the objective is above or below me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My only criticism of the ascent is that the shooting isnt as good as other twinstick shooters ive played
Its also a little framey on pc i guess

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Is it worth putting on the back burner until a couple of patches come out?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Idk im gonna just play it until credits or loss of interest. Its got enough going on so far to be interesting its just kinda alot of walking backwards shooting so far

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Idk im gonna just play it until credits or loss of interest. Its got enough going on so far to be interesting its just kinda alot of walking backwards shooting so far

Its basically this. I can feel it being just adequate enough I can finish the campaign but if I stop to do sidequests with its horrifically bad minimap/teleport combo I won't.

The boss after the one that brutally stone walled me I wrecked in seconds while a level lower than suggested so Im going with that one boss is just horrifically unbalanced.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's worth playing now, the issues I have are mostly UI related and they're more irritations than things that actively ruin it. Certainly the delivery of the story is really strong and Foome is a great rear end in a top hat.

Real hurthling! posted:

I was playing like this until I got the Riot Gun and learned the joys of rolling up on enemies in cover and blasting them. Also corraling melee enemies into a train before turning round and punching the entire group into mist.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 30, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Ascent is fun for what it is, and I do like it, but it seems a shame to me that they have created this absolutely incredible world, like seriously it's amazing, but it's just a backdrop for some better than average shooting. You can't interact with it in any meaningful way. I want them to make a spinoff, using the exact same world and assets, literally just port it over, but make an adventure game, or a CRPG.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

njsykora posted:

I think it's worth playing now, the issues I have are mostly UI related and they're more irritations than things that actively ruin it. Certainly the delivery of the story is really strong and Foome is a great rear end in a top hat.

I was playing like this until I got the Riot Gun and learned the joys of rolling up on enemies in cover and blasting them. Also corraling melee enemies into a train before turning round and punching the entire group into mist.

Cover and using all tools available starts to become important around level 10ish, though I'm not much farther than that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bardeh posted:

The Ascent is fun for what it is, and I do like it, but it seems a shame to me that they have created this absolutely incredible world, like seriously it's amazing, but it's just a backdrop for some better than average shooting. You can't interact with it in any meaningful way. I want them to make a spinoff, using the exact same world and assets, literally just port it over, but make an adventure game, or a CRPG.

I hit an bar area mid? Late? Game and my immediate reaction was "if this was a 1998 crpg it'd have been at worst a cult classic"

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

When you don't touch the controller for a minute while playing The Ascent, an idle camera effect starts. This apparently causes my entire xbox to lock. The game was still going but I couldn't even pull up the home menu anymore, had to push the button on the console itself.

Can someone brave enough here reproduce this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Kins posted:

It's a bit fiddly, but:

Thanks, but I was doing exactly this, and the dumb smart cam targets and the hud element indicating that there was a drop down menu never went away. :shrug: I just wanted zero hud elements on my screen, somehow I managed it for a couple shots I took on PC when it came out but I can't get them to go away even though I toggled smart cam off and had the hud toggled off in pretty much every menu I can find.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man the Ascent is hard to play. Not gameplay difficulty - just the map, menu, slow movement, small text, objective markers etc.

This game needs another couple of runs through the UX machine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im calling it get shot from off screen simulator now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Im calling it get shot from off screen simulator now

Anything "down" from you on the isometric plane is hosed and enemies let you know by blasting you. The more HP boost is so critical to just not being dead.

It doesn't help that enemies spawn in behind you and eventually literally teleport in. Theres a fight where you enter a platform from another platform. After the cutscene ends you're fighting and after a second or two from the room you just cleared come some guys to shoot your in the spine from offscreen.

Edit: I like how the tutorial teaches you to aim down sights but the enemies in the tutorial can't be hit that way.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

Man the Ascent is hard to play. Not gameplay difficulty - just the map, menu, slow movement, small text, objective markers etc.

This game needs another couple of runs through the UX machine.

For how good the game looks the UX is nightmarish. I refuse to engage with choosing armor or bothering to try and read the text in the top left.

Unfortunately I must engage with the train/map/objective system.

Bummer because the game is quite fun and I’m having a great time when not wrestling with those things.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

It turns out I'm super lazy and haven't made it around to playing even a small portion of my games.
I was going through my shelf and found out that I had purchased the disc to FarCry New Dawn from redbox when they were discontinuing games.
Does anyone have the disc version with the slip cover for xbox one and a good scanner who can help me make a repro version? I checked the vg box art sites I had found and nobody had it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

For how good the game looks the UX is nightmarish. I refuse to engage with choosing armor or bothering to try and read the text in the top left.

Unfortunately I must engage with the train/map/objective system.

Bummer because the game is quite fun and I’m having a great time when not wrestling with those things.

I still don't know what the four core stats actually do, there aren't any tooltips or anything and as far as I can remember it's never made clear.

This is what the Codex tells me under the tutorials section:

The skills you pump points into when you level up affect them, but as for what that actually does....not a loving clue. And the way stats are arranged on the armor selection screen just makes my eyes glaze over, I find it extremely difficult to know which is better.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Barudak posted:

Anything "down" from you on the isometric plane is hosed and enemies let you know by blasting you. The more HP boost is so critical to just not being dead.

It doesn't help that enemies spawn in behind you and eventually literally teleport in. Theres a fight where you enter a platform from another platform. After the cutscene ends you're fighting and after a second or two from the room you just cleared come some guys to shoot your in the spine from offscreen.

Edit: I like how the tutorial teaches you to aim down sights but the enemies in the tutorial can't be hit that way.

The tutorial specifically stated to aim down sight to shoot over things including smaller enemies, and as a way to stagger standing enemies by hitting them in the head.
The point of the pop up the enemies are a flight of stairs up and you need to aim down sights to hit them otherwise you just shoot the stairs, it was teaching you to shoot over objects to him enemies, not to ads to hit targets better. There is a follow up tutorial later teaching to crouch down, and to hit the aim button to raise the rifle over your cover.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

The tutorial specifically stated to aim down sight to shoot over things including smaller enemies, and as a way to stagger standing enemies by hitting them in the head.
The point of the pop up the enemies are a flight of stairs up and you need to aim down sights to hit them otherwise you just shoot the stairs, it was teaching you to shoot over objects to him enemies, not to ads to hit targets better. There is a follow up tutorial later teaching to crouch down, and to hit the aim button to raise the rifle over your cover.

This - it’s not ADS, it’s literally (weirdly) “make gun go higher”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bardeh posted:

The skills you pump points into when you level up affect them, but as for what that actually does....not a loving clue. And the way stats are arranged on the armor selection screen just makes my eyes glaze over, I find it extremely difficult to know which is better.

Augmentations are affected by those skills, so the Megapunch you get early does more damage if you put points into the health and energy skills. The looter bot you’ll probably waste 8k creds on early will stick around longer with points in the aiming skills. If you look at each augmentation description it’ll tell you what skills it scales off and how.

No none of this is explicitly explained, I figure you’re expected to just notice it and make the link yourself even though it doesn’t tell you the skills have secondary effects.

So just spend all your skill points on HP to max that out fast and punch everything.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anyone playing the Halo Infinite tech preview on an original Xbox One or One S? What's the performance like? I hear some people get 30-40 fps while others report that it can reach 60.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Can’t wait for the day a good co op game comes to game pass and works really well on day 1. First Outriders and now The Ascent, both great games but both incredibly buggy in co op!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Barudak posted:

Aah okay I thought I was just crazy, aiming makes me miss every target and I couldn't figure out wtf I was doing wrong

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The ascent is an incredibly gorgeous, poorly controlled and out right badly UI'd game

Holding B to close tutorial screens should be a criminal offence.

We got stuck trying to get to the waste control thing for an hour because the hacking tutorial just didn't fire. Got fed up and hit google for a guide.

Doesn't mention anywhere that the first enemies are easier to shoot if you crouch instead of using the left trigger.

Very solid meh til they patch the UI and map stuff.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I played a TL for a few hours earlier and yeah that UI suuuuuuuuuucks. I’m a big fan of the left stick swapping what screen you’re looking at and changing with the slightest left or right movement on the sticks. Between that and having to squint from to read anything from across the room (10-12’ tops) it’s just more work than it’s worth.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Laserface posted:

The ascent is an incredibly gorgeous, poorly controlled and out right badly UI'd game

Holding B to close tutorial screens should be a criminal offence.

We got stuck trying to get to the waste control thing for an hour because the hacking tutorial just didn't fire. Got fed up and hit google for a guide.

Doesn't mention anywhere that the first enemies are easier to shoot if you crouch instead of using the left trigger.

Very solid meh til they patch the UI and map stuff.

That loving Hold B poo poo is wild. I can't even imagine how anyone thought that was a good idea.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DR AIDS posted:

That loving Hold B poo poo is wild. I can't even imagine how anyone thought that was a good idea.

it might've been fine if it was half as long as it is but doubled up with the hang-timer on the tutorial popups its a joke.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know how streamers like ACG rate it so highly, to me The Ascent kind of loving sucks. The artwork, cyberpunk motif and effects are amazing but that's all it has going for it. The maps are too large and your move speed is annoyingly slow. The pace of the game is all wrong, even the music is up tempo stuff while you crawl around like an infant. The sound design is great but the guns have no tactile punch to them, like literally I don't even think they bothered to code in rumble trigger effects. They all feel the same which is a huge wasted opportunity. The skill tree is like some sort of bad joke, the barest of RPG mechanics. They should've just integrated the augs more directly into the skill tree. Some of the augs are just terrible by the way. Using the lovely loot one takes energy? Haha gently caress off. Other people have lampooned the UI already so I won't even mention how awful it is. This game needs a lot of refinement and god drat, speed up the player.

We tried to play couch co-op earlier and it wasn't functioning at all, looked it up on reddit and apparently it's a "known issue". Welp.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i hate all of you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The metacritic average for the ascent on PC os 75 while on Xbox its 64 and I want to know what the hell the PC reviewers are on because the Xbox score is accurate.

The weapon upgrade system is crazy limited if you don't spend time sidequesting, because as far as I can tell you get basically enough to upgrade 3 guns from tier one to 2 so you gotta be careful and not waste em.

Oh fun tip, the Aug which makes you lock in on a target and never miss while shooting at it has a lot of unlisted properties. 1) It automatically target selects and shoots, and while shooting an enemy the timer determining how long the effect lasts does not decrease 2) the effect also ends if you run out of bullets in your gun. 3) it is 100% accurate and cannot miss. This combined means the 100 bullet but inaccurate machine gun is a full room clear as long as you keep moving towards enemies and it will obliterate every boss except that spider boss fucker.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
After playing the Ascent on pc and now xbsx I am even more impressed with the visuals, and the sound kicks rear end on my basic 5.1 system.

Maybe people only played it for 45 minutes and then rated it, cause right now its awesome.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Laserface posted:

it might've been fine if it was half as long as it is but doubled up with the hang-timer on the tutorial popups its a joke.

I forgot to add this, holy gently caress is that 3x as long as it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If the gps line could be set for sidequests i might do them more often