Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Codeacious posted:

That looks cool, do you have to register for the event to browse the listings?

You can browse freely on BGG but need to purchase a ticket to the event if you actually end up buying or selling anything.

Here's a thread you can sub to that announces when the flea markets are live:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1366434/strategicon-math-trades-and-sale-lists

DogCop fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Los Angeles county was the first county in the US to mandate masks indoors. They will stop the hotel from having the event (and any other indoor events) if they feel the need. I'm not worried about that. Do keep in mind that the hotel must abide by any county mandates. The con may not happen, but if it does, it will not be a super spreader event.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the original Galaxy Trucker versus the relaunch that's coming up?

Looks like everywhere is starting to slowly dump stock in prep for the relaunch, so I can get it on the cheap, but it's sound like the new version might not give the same experience.

Both app stores have it, if you want to drop $5 to try it out on your phone/tablet first. (or steam or Gog for $10)

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I just realized I don't have a square/card table to put a Crokinole board on so that four people can play it at once anyway. First time that the long extendable Ikea table is a failure for a boardgame!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Codeacious posted:

I just realized I don't have a square/card table to put a Crokinole board on so that four people can play it at once anyway. First time that the long extendable Ikea table is a failure for a boardgame!

Set it on the carpet and have everyone lay on their stomachs. Though you'll have to be creative to get the 'one cheek rule" adhered to.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Magnetic North posted:

Set it on the carpet and have everyone lay on their stomachs. Though you'll have to be creative to get the 'one cheek rule" adhered to.

I have wood floors in a small apartment in Socal. :v:

Maybe I could convince the graduate lounge for our department (which has a boardgame collection I've donated to!) to get a board!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You could always just buy a little square folding camping table, they cost like 30 bucks. Useful for Crokinole and also as a side table for games that have a bunch of components that you don't need cluttering the main table all the time, like minis you will have to sort out from time to time or whatever.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I played crokinole 4 players on my standard long gaming table and it worked fine with just 2 on each long side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Burgundy posted:

I played crokinole 4 players on my standard long gaming table and it worked fine with just 2 on each long side.

Yeah, just place the board diagonally on the table and it should be fine.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

rydiafan posted:

I can not recommend Dune Imperium enough. The balance of worker placement with deck builder is very well done.

How does this compare to the regular Dune game?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/283355/dune

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish I could get a copy of Pax Pamir.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Armauk posted:

How does this compare to the regular Dune game?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/283355/dune

In standard Dune, it's a 'troops on a map' game with asymmetrical powers where you're trying to control 3 strongholds (4 if you're in an alliance) and trying to get to spice before the storms or other players scoop 'em up. It's mostly about the fights, the treachery, and the deals you make more than anything else.

Dune: Imperium doesn't seem as cut-throat since it's about using cards and worker placement moreso than a limited number of troop deployments and movement. I haven't had a chance to play it but I've played enough standard Dune to know just how the game can get with the right (or wrong) group.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I may have spent part of my tax return on preordering Unfathomable , Great Western Trail 2nd Edition , and Wrath of the Lich King :v:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

John Dyne posted:

In standard Dune, it's a 'troops on a map' game with asymmetrical powers where you're trying to control 3 strongholds (4 if you're in an alliance) and trying to get to spice before the storms or other players scoop 'em up. It's mostly about the fights, the treachery, and the deals you make more than anything else.

Dune: Imperium doesn't seem as cut-throat since it's about using cards and worker placement moreso than a limited number of troop deployments and movement. I haven't had a chance to play it but I've played enough standard Dune to know just how the game can get with the right (or wrong) group.

Is standard Dune best played with a large group? Is two people possible?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Armauk posted:

I have not played this game, but there is a resource you can check for this type of thing. BGG lists the player counts of games based on what the publisher puts on the box, along with community suggested ranges and a best count. For Dune (2019) the box says 2-6, but the community recommends the game at 5-6, with 6 being best.

So, it's possible insofar as the rules allow it, but of the 100-ish people who filled out that poll, essentially none of them recommend it at 2 players.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've been planning to have an in-person Dune day for this, and then we all go see the movie afterwards.

Don't think it's going to happen cause lol Delta lockdown in Sydney.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Armauk posted:

Two players IS possible but it's not very fun compared to larger group play. The game recommends you play as Harkonnen and Atreides for two player, and it's basically a game of rocket tag. The game has treachery cards, which are things like weapons, poisons, and shields to kill the enemy leader or protect your own; leaders add a substantial amount of strength to your army, so losing one will swing a fight very hard, because losing a fight kills ALL units there and you only get 3 revives back to your recruitment pool each turn. Harkonnen gets 2 of these cards to start, and every other faction gets 1, and they also draw a free one any time they buy one as a little buy one, get one deal on subterfuge.

Adding to this are the traitor cards, of which each faction has 5. If you play a traitor card that matches the enemy's leader, their leader has turned traitorous and you instantly win. Every faction throws in their 5 cards, gets 'em shuffled, and then all of them except Harkonnen draw 4 of these and keep 1; Harkonnen keeps all 4.

With two players, it's basically a crap shoot on if Harkonnen drew enough Atreides traitors to just crush all resistance. Atreides gets a thing where, after losing 7 troops in battle, they can add +2 strength to a leader and make them immune to traitor cards for that battle, but it only works for one battle at a time, and if you're fighting multiple fronts you can't keep all of your leaders safe. If the Harkonnen player got enough traitors, it's pretty easy for them to win. If they got their own traitors, well, it becomes a bit more back and forth. Atreides can also see each treachery card before it's put up for auction, and is the only one allowed to keep written notes on who has what. They can also ask for one of four pieces of information for each fight they get in, before they lock in what they wanna do: they can ask to see the enemy's weapon card, defense card, leader chosen, or number of forces committed to the fight.

The other 4 factions really don't work well for two player match ups, mostly because their strengths turn into weaknesses when there's not enough players feeding into them. The Emperor gets paid all of the spice players spend to buy treachery cards, and the Spacing Guild gets all the spice spent deploying and moving troops. The Fremen get free revives and don't have to pay to deploy their troops, but can only deploy in one of three areas that aren't strongholds. And the Bene Gessert are meant more for a 6 player game, because they start with 1 troop in the center of the board and mainly get their troops down for free from other players deploying.

It's a really fun game but the sweet spot is definitely 4 or more players.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 31, 2021

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Armauk posted:

It needs six. It's not worth the time at other player counts

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am weak and I bought the Dark Souls Board Game. It's honestly not as bad as I was expecting from some of the reviews, I've been playing it solo and have had a lot of really cool/fun encounters in between some that are just insane (screw Silver Knights, just like in the games). It's frustrating though in that I really feel like it could be way better with some minor tweaks - just offhand I'm thinking something like rolling a Dodge check against the difficulty of an encounter for an opportunity to go first would really even it out a lot.

I've got it all set up now for the first mini boss encounter which uses different enemy AI rules and everyone raves over, so this should be interesting.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:catstare: If I fits, I sits!

:confused: You actually don't really fi-

:catstare: I SAID IF I FITS, I SITS

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Well yeah, won't quite fit cause not a Calico cat! But Tortitude never lets that stop them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Been playing Pandemic Legacy Season 1 online.

We're finally halfway through the year tonight, and we are all feeling very:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGAyxq8_ho

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

pandalegs s1 inspired both hooting and hollering and red-in-the-face arguing in a group of normally staid gamers. We immolated a couple of components afterward.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I try very very hard not to quarterback how people play their characters, and there's obviously group discussions and group decisions, but tonight I had to dictate how people operated their characters entire turn in full 3 times to ensure we were playing optimally.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Does anyone have suggestions on a folding table for board games? I just moved and had to get rid of our dining table, so we need something that packs away easily. Gaming on the kitchen island is just not as fun...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Your local hardware store should be able to help you out.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/lifetime-6ft-bi-fold-blow-mould-trestle-table_p3192213

Search for folding tables/trestle tables/blow mold tables/bi-fold tables.

They're relatively cheap. I have a couple of little ones for overflow/drinks.

-----------------------------

Also I just want to point out GWS 2nd Edition comes with cowboy hats for your meeples

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Armauk posted:

Mojo Jojo is right. Play Dune with 6.

It's my favourite game, and I try to play it whenever I can, but I wouldn't ever play it with 4 or fewer, and even with 5 I'll be a bit disappointed. The whole thing is really balanced around the six factions, to the degree I'm really still not sure about the expansion factions because they just change SO MUCH about the game by having them instead of another faction. I think it makes sense to replace Emperor with Tlielaxu (massive income) and Atreides with Ix (knowledge during the bidding phase) but there are so many more implications, that even that feels like a huuuuge upheaval to me!

There's a GF9 Dune game on the way, that's just classic Dune, (It's even just CALLED "Dune: a game of conquest and diplomacy") but re-jigged so that it works for two players. (And reskinned with the new movie theme). That there's a market for such a thing should really tell you
A) How unplayable the original is with 2 and
B)How GREAT the original is, that they would consider making such a thing, lol.

Dune Imperium is completely unrelated to those two though, and is it's own thing. I really enjoy it, but understand a bunch of criticisms levelled at it. I think it works GREAT as a two player game, and could see 3 working (since 2 players is actually 2 + an AI) but I'm not sure I'd want to play it with 4.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I try very very hard not to quarterback how people play their characters, and there's obviously group discussions and group decisions, but tonight I had to dictate how people operated their characters entire turn in full 3 times to ensure we were playing optimally.

Most of my games devolved into nobody even playing their character, every turn was done by group consensus.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

Most of my games devolved into nobody even playing their character, every turn was done by group consensus.

wait, does anyone not play pandemic like this

the only reason we even really assign characters to players is so there's a designated decision maker if the group is indecisive

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

the holy poopacy posted:

the only reason we even really assign characters to players is so there's a designated decision maker if the group is indecisive

I prefer to play by quarterbacking in a loud, overriding tone and sighing loudly whenever someone goes against my decrees; when someone else's plan works, it's always "dumb luck" and "statistically improbable".

OK, maybe not aloud, but this may be my inner monologue when I'm outvoted on a move

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

the holy poopacy posted:

No, that sounds exhausting and way less fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Infinitum posted:

Did they mind? Because that sounds horrible for them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, there's definitely a line between "Hey, did you see this problem over here, it might be a good idea if you dealt with that" and "No, you should spend your first three actions doing that and then the last action doing this" where you should probably back off a bit and let the player play suboptimally rather than make their presence pointless

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

shout outs to magic maze for having its central design innovation explicitly to mute quarterbacking and also being absolutely filled with moments where players try to quarterback only to realize they are the dumb.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

the holy poopacy posted:

We play max difficulty and don't talk to each other about the game, can still win so that's about right.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wish I could get a copy of Pax Pamir.

Pax Pamir 2nd was the highlight of my bday boardgame weekend that just ended today. Played it twice and marveled at how different both games were. Just a masterpiece.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crossposting from the KS thread

Arydia is live. Same developer as Xia Legends of a Drift System, Cody Miller

This is a big BIG box with a big rear end price tag..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faroffgames/arydia-the-paths-we-dare-tread

$258 AUD for the all in pledge
:captainpop:

Looks like a looooot of game in this though.
50+ pre-painted miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNB1tw94DLk

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 3, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

Crossposting from the KS thread

Arydia is live. Same developer as Xia Legends of a Drift System, Cody Miller

This is a big BIG box with a big rear end price tag..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faroffgames/arydia-the-paths-we-dare-tread

$258 AUD for the all in pledge
:captainpop:

Looks like a looooot of game in this though.
50+ pre-painted miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNB1tw94DLk

Wasn't the prevalent opinion that Xia was a hot mess?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Memnaelar posted:

Pax Pamir 2nd was the highlight of my bday boardgame weekend that just ended today. Played it twice and marveled at how different both games were. Just a masterpiece.

We had a Pax weekend and got to play Pax Viking, Ren (2nd), Pamir (2nd) and I mostly enjoyed all these games, some way more than others.

Pax Viking held up on our second play with 3p and we all had a great time. It felt way easier and simpler than the first time we played and aside from one or two clarifications here and there, it flowed super smoothly and played like a mix of a standard worker placement euro and the Pax series. My only concern is that moving forward I don't know how much attention the market row of cards/sagas/circles are going to get but that remains to be seen. I'm happy we all had a good time because one of our group had played it separately and hated it but I think the bad rulebook combined with fatigue exacerbated his issues.

Next up was Pax Renaissance, second edition. I had never played it but one of the guys has played it about a dozen times or so and the other guy had played it once online. The teaching was maddening and extremely complicated with borderline parody-tier edge cases and exceptions and specifications for every rule. We finally got going and I really had no clue what I was doing but just tried to suss out the mechanics and understand things. The second edition apparently has changed a few things but is mostly the same. One of my main issues is that the cards are very busy and I wish they had a clearer/more simplified way to quickly scan them and keep an eye on what you and your opponents are capable of pulling off. Still enjoyed it but I think it will be tricky to get on the table outside of a very narrow group.

Last up was two games of Pax Pamir: Rug the next day with just me and the GF. She was very skeptical going in and the first game ended after the very first dominance check because for some reason she switched allegiance without understanding the repercussions. Very so so game overall. The second game was something else and might have been one of the best I've ever played. Went right to the end, tons of assassinations, overthrows, allegiance switching, and general strategy/fuckery. She adeptly triggered the final dominance check before I could establish sufficient support to unseat her and boom, won the game. She loved it and said that she had been worried it was too complicated previously but now regards it as fairly simple all things considered. And wants to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I own Xia, and I played it a bunch before ultimately finding better games to gravitate towards.
That said I absolutely got my moneys worth for it, and the production quality is absolutely top notch - Particularly the prepainted ships.

A lot of the problems with Xia come down to the randomness of the map making objectives either super close or on the other edge of the galaxy, coupled with the fact nothing in the game really feels.. 'great' to you as the player.
Most of the last games I've played started with players choosing the biggest engine they could and nothing else so they could hoover up resources with maximum cargo space, and pretty much instantly upgrade to tier 3.
Rulebook wasn't crash hot either.

It's.. fine, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore.

We played it once a few years back after a Twilight Imperium game :laffo: just a night and day difference in engagement.

----------------------------------------

Regarding Arydia I'll probably take a good long look at it, as I know where Xia falls short, and see if he's making the same mistakes.
I'm not sure if I have room in my collection for it beside Frosthaven, as they are both bulky boys.