Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SCheeseman posted:

Deus Ex Invisible War is a textbook example of where the developers did exactly as you suggest, a drawback to that approach is it can strip a game of much of it's personality, mostly as it's nebulous what "improving the gameplay experience" even means.

Of course the best advice in the world isn't going to help if you're an idiot, though seems like the worst possible game to apply that to given the whole deal with Deus Ex is that it's a game people love because it's more than the sum of its (very janky) parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course the best advice in the world isn't going to help if you're an idiot, though seems like the worst possible game to apply that to given the whole deal with Deus Ex is that it's a game people love because it's more than the sum of its (very janky) parts.

It's a bad example because it perfectly represents the point I was making that stripping games down to their barest isn't always the best approach to game design? What?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invisible War is better than Deus Ex

Proof:

1) Games I finish multiple times are superior to ones I only finish once
2) I beat Invisible War multiple times but beat Deus Ex once

Q.E.D.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

SCheeseman posted:

Deus Ex Invisible War is a textbook example of where the developers did exactly as you suggest, a drawback to that approach is it can strip a game of much of it's personality, mostly as it's nebulous what "improving the gameplay experience" even means.

No. They hosed up. Also you're just pulling this out of your rear end. They were trying to bring DX to consoles back when games were trying to figure out how to control FPS games in the first place. Not trying to cut down the fat.

I mean look at DX: HR and MD. That's the successful attempt.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vic posted:

I mean look at DX: HR and MD. That's the successful attempt.
:lol:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

:shrug:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Can't wait for Part 3.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Human Revolution was a pretty good one of those

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Barudak posted:

Invisible War is better than Deus Ex

Proof:

1) Games I finish multiple times are superior to ones I only finish once
2) I beat Invisible War multiple times but beat Deus Ex once

Q.E.D.

Yet another reason tic tac toe is the greatest game of all time

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You forgot this fuckery. No idea how it scored that high.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Video game journalism has been a joke more or less since the start.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Video game journalism has been a joke more or less since the start.

i tried to think of the earliest video game journalism and my mind went to Nintendo Power, which was literally just advertisements made by nintendo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The lesson is that the user score is usually more trustworthy than the critic score.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

The lesson is that the user score is usually more trustworthy than the critic score.

Users aren't risking their jobs and/or future free copies by being honest.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

i never play a game unless there is at least a 20 page thread here on SA. thats all the endorsement i need

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

User scores usually reflect more than just the game at face value. Mankind Divided had singleplayer microtransactions and a companion app. lol.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Reviewers sell out for ... free steam keys?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deus Ex Go is probably my favorite to play of the Deus Ex games, but I only beat it once ergo it is sadly only as good as the original Deus Ex.

Mankind Divided is the worst because I got to the final mission and just could not give a gently caress to finish it.

Yes, I played and beat Project Snowblind. I had gametap

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

i tried to think of the earliest video game journalism and my mind went to Nintendo Power, which was literally just advertisements made by nintendo

iirc egm was mostly just the writers making rude jokes about sex and drugs, and saying important things like "the best part about this game is the art and the sound design, both of which are great! but the rest of his game sucks rear end i wouldn't pay ten dollars for it"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

For me it's the Dutch gaming magazine Power Unlimited, which was ran like a weed-beer fuelled gonzo magazine during the 90's-00's. They used to poo poo pretty hard on developers for pumping out carbon copy sequels and their negative reviews would sometimes just call the game "A loving piece of poo poo" but in Dutch. It was good times.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I found this thing Derek Smart reposted interesting even if it is pretty pro-Garmer Gert.
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1420857777614987266?s=20

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i only just twigged that Gamergate is a play on Watergate

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Lodin posted:

I found this thing Derek Smart reposted interesting even if it is pretty pro-Garmer Gert.

I'm gonna have to give a :lol: to a "GamerGate actually really was about ethics in game journalism" in 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
its weird to watch a Jim Sterling video where he's actually outraged rather than just faking outrage

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fur20 posted:

iirc egm was mostly just the writers making rude jokes about sex and drugs, and saying important things like "the best part about this game is the art and the sound design, both of which are great! but the rest of his game sucks rear end i wouldn't pay ten dollars for it"

Shawn Elliot ended up designing the best levels in Prey years after that magazine folded, which surprised me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
most people on the games forum have no sense of humour and im starting to think they are all 40 year old and miserable

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

most people on the games forum have no sense of humour and im starting to think they are all 40 year old and miserable

Can you imagine having fun with video games???

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lodin posted:

Even if he wasn't directing people to an article that's clearly lovely, you do not have to hand it to Derek Smart.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Meme Poker Party posted:

Can you imagine having fun with video games???

i wrote out a big effort post to answer this and it made me realise i might have depression

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its weird to watch a Jim Sterling video where he's actually outraged rather than just faking outrage

At least in this situation he's fully justified in recycling his "activision bad" take into a video, instead of just tossing it around randomly.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Archer666 posted:

At least in this situation he's fully justified in recycling his "activision bad" take into a video, instead of just tossing it around randomly.

yeah i'm not trying to be edgy or anything its just normally Jim Sterling videos sound so over-acted

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i wrote out a big effort post to answer this and it made me realise i might have depression

I hope you can get some help, that sucks. Best of luck to you goonfriend.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
when you start taking anything too seriously, even videogames, it isn't fun anymore

hope you're doin ok jollyboyjohn, i like your posts even if i almost never agree with them

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

hope you're doin ok jollyboyjohn, i like your posts even if i almost never agree with them

This is truly the mark of Powerful Posting.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

thank you WildTurkey, sometimes i like to post things that will make people gasp a bit or say "wtf dude" but its always from a place of attempted humour

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm sure it wasn't intentional but they/them are their preferred pronouns.

https://twitter.com/jimsterling

Companies suck poo poo, but you kind of save being emotionally invested for when they go above and beyond, or else you'll be exhausted. Oh yeah company x treats their employees poorly? Whatever. Oh they prey on people with loot boxes? Yep. Oh they caused a woman to kill themselves? What the loving gently caress.

Kind of like shootings in America have enough of them at the populace just stops caring.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 30, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

all the non miserable games posters migrated to gbs, or otherwise just post about their dev projects once a month

Random Stranger posted:

Even if he wasn't directing people to an article that's clearly lovely, you do not have to hand it to Derek Smart.

derek smart wants to stay relevant in his way but i'm not sure he's actually made anything new since he started his (not incorrect) vendetta against star citizen so he's got to find SOMEthing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

How can one be depressed while pwning noobs?