Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone else having issues with purchasing games with Paypal? Didn't see anything on their support channels, so want to make sure it is not just me.

Edit: Guess it was just a momentary hiccup, started working now.

Zil fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I saw a ResetEra thread on indies in August and I missed a few, here are some more (this will not be a detailed post like the other one btw)

The Ramp (Aug 3) - A digital toy for skateboard fans (ie not a game with scoring/objectives)

Dreamscaper (Aug 5, Full Release, Likely $29.99) - I guess I forgot about this one because I don't personally care for roguelites but I remember people really liked the prologue demo a year ago.

Foreclosed (Aug 12, $19.99) - Stylish mix of action and comic book presentation and yes, it's more cyberpunk, this trend is not dying anytime soon.

Tetragon (Aug 12, $14.99) - One of those world rotatey puzzle games

The Plane Effect (Aug 12, $14.99) - One of those surreal dream logic story/puzzle games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 30, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The 7th Guest posted:

SkateBIRD's been delayed to September 16th, but on the flip side they announced it will be on gamepass

Oh my god they made a little trailer for the delay and it's the best thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4aIuu0a4Fw

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Gripper posted:

I bought The Ascent and I really, really don't like it. I think I expected it to be more ARPG-like but it feels - at least in the early game - much more tactical.

I played more than 2 hours so I can't refund it and regret that I let it drag on past that point before deciding it wasn't getting more enjoyable. I don't know if it makes a difference but I was playing with a controller.

There's issues as well that I'm surprised didn't come up in any of the reviews, but probably the biggest for me is that it leans heavily into cover-shooter mechanics while also spawning enemies in behind you constantly. That's annoying on its own but it's a flawless combo with one of the trash enemy types having pinpoint accuracy and enormous range, where even on an ultrawide monitor they can snipe at you from off-screen and give you no time to react. I felt like a lot of the fights were trial-and error and wanted me to memorize which enemy types are where (and which will spawn behind me and when), and the lack of any penalty for dying seems to back that up.

It's also pretty rough around the edges with weirdness like the regular mini-cutscenes making you stand up from behind cover and opening you to being sniped, and that you can stagger moving enemies by shooting them but can't interrupt an enemy that is winding up to fire at you. The camera isn't always friendly, some of the sidequests take you to locations well above your level or to locked doors I assume are for later in the game (or that open when you hack them but still can't be entered), and it interchanges automatically picking up health drops and holding a button to pick up other types of health drops - fine on its own, but holding that button also equips weapons on the ground so it's easy to accidentally swap your rifle for a level 1 pistol without noticing.

I'll give it a few patches and see if my main barriers to enjoyment are tweaked, but I think it just might not be the right game for me.

I have some similar thoughts at least, first the bad things. BAD:

First thing is the gameplay is alright but not that great. I was playing with controller, which at least makes aiming harder, but aiming doesn't have the responsiveness of a normal twin stick shooter. The cover mechanic (where you crouch next to cover and use the left trigger to aim high over it, protecting you from repisal) does kinda work but it's a bit awkward. You have to take your thumb off the aiming stick when you want to dodge roll or crouch which is unfortunate. I'm curious what anyone thinks about mouse and keyboard but if I have the option I will pretty much always use controller.

For some reason my game wasn't allowing me to change the resolution, it was stuck in windowed fullscreen in a higher resolution than my monitor has. And worst of all, there is no FOV slider so when you are fighting enemies they are constantly attacking you from offscreen and there's no way to get a better view. One thing I really liked about Inquisitor: Martyr is that you can zoom out quite a bit, move the camera forward in relation to your character and use the middle mouse button to turn the camera whenever you want. With this game, the view is totally fixed from one angle with your character smack dab in the middle. Which probably makes sense for what they were trying to do but drat you just can't see enough during battle oftentimes. Basically you have to keep yourself close to the enemies but not too close.

GOOD:

That being said, for the positives man is it gorgeous, absolutely everything is modeled beautifully and I often would just stop and admire some stuff in the background for how awesome it looked. Constant motion and life, wonderful responsiveness to the character in the world. My 1060 ran everything at ultra and the framerate stayed high, so it's not ad demanding as I thought it might be. Probably because of the fixed view I assume?

I like the setting, worldbuilding, story a lot so far. It's a very intriguing premise, not totally new but with some new touches. The guns/loot have been okay, but I've only managed to get a hold of about 5 different ones, hopefully they get cooler as I go along.

The audio is fantastic, I was playing with headphones which I don't normally do and the voices / effects were incredible and created a very realistic and fitting tone.

So far the positives are enough to keep me going, the world is so gorgeous and just begs to be explored and I'm curious about the story. Definitely some things I hope they work on and some that just didn't turn out as well as I hoped.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pleads posted:

:popeye: Well now! That was an amusing way to reveal the delay, the best way in fact.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

.random posted:

Can someone confirm this game will scratch my ogre battle itch? I have heard tell that it might

Look into Himeko Sutori

.random
May 7, 2007

nordichammer posted:

Look into Himeko Sutori

Hmm. Thanks! Looks a little rough around the edges, but might be worth a go. Can’t be any rougher than Ogre Battle 64, right?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

:popeye: Well now! That was an amusing way to reveal the delay, the best way in fact.

Agreed. Now I’m interested

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I wanna invite some friends to play some videogames, but I've never done local multiplayer on PC. Can I, for example, connect 1 PS4 controller and 2 PS3 controllers to my computer or do they all have to be the same type of controller?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Vincent posted:

I wanna invite some friends to play some videogames, but I've never done local multiplayer on PC. Can I, for example, connect 1 PS4 controller and 2 PS3 controllers to my computer or do they all have to be the same type of controller?

Shouldn’t matter

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gutcruncher posted:

Shouldn’t matter

As long as the particular game recognizes all of them. Which unfortunately is not always the case for me

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh wait a minute, is Chernobylite good now? I glanced at reviews sometime last year which mostly went "Ehh, this thinks it's Stalker but it's mainly a subpar eurojank EA dumpster fire." But I heard a podcast cover it in glowing terms recently, and apparently the new canon is "As long as you realize it's not like Stalker, it's pretty fun"?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm now at 3 hours into Chernobylite and I'd say like a good 7/10 would probably be my rating so far.

The combat sucks, but I just set that to easy and it's less of an issue.

I'm getting really into the base building portion. I found the "Walls" section so now my little warehouse has a nice barracks area, a workshop, and a little chillout nook for a TV (TV yet to be constructed.)

I'm not sure if it will be a very replayable game, it seems to lean heavily on the story side of things and that's still not fantastic, but again 3 hours in is probably not a great representation.

The size of each level isn't too bad now that I've thoroughly explored them. It's not huge, but it gives you plenty to pilfer through and, it's hard to tell, but a pretty good distribution of random events and things like that.

I don't know that it'd be an easy recommendation at full price, it's clearly somewhere between like indie/AA in terms of quality (typos, etc are still present even though it's out of early access), but I don't know that I'd say that it's bad.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Pleads posted:

That's adorable :3:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vincent posted:

You can, I've had a DS4, two Logitech XInput gamepads, and a PowerA Switch Pro Controller connected to the same PC at the same time for multiplayer before.

Play posted:

As long as the particular game recognizes all of them. Which unfortunately is not always the case for me
Even then, as long as Steam recognizes a controller connected you should be able to use Steam Input to force a mapping on the game, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I, uh, demoed The Ascent and while it technically might not have the best graphics ever, there's a strong argument that it has the most graphics ever. Every single scene is just so dense with detail, even the tutorial sewerish level is an awe to look at. The actual shooting and skilling seems real fun and meaty too, def gonna pick it up when I clear my coop backlog.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 30, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mordja posted:

I, uh, demoed The Ascent and while it technically might not have the best graphics ever, there's a strong argument that it has the most graphics ever. Every single scene is just so dense with detail, even the tutorial sewerish level is an awe to look at. The actual shooting and skilling seems real fun and meaty too, def gonna pick it up when I clear my coop backlog.

Fwiw it’s a gamepass game as well.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
lmao brain genius plan from an early-access indie game I've had in my steam library for like 3 years:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

Don't have, or want gamepass

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Count Uvula posted:

lmao brain genius plan from an early-access indie game I've had in my steam library for like 3 years:

lmao what the gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i seriously can't deal with the loving cryptocultists on top of everything else happening this decade

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Isn't there some sort of arena brawler whose entire economy is based around NFTs and poo poo? These people have brain rot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

KakerMix posted:

This is what I thought when I saw "NFTs"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They're asking for feedback, is the feedback all just like

KakerMix posted:

?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Commander Keene posted:

You can, I've had a DS4, two Logitech XInput gamepads, and a PowerA Switch Pro Controller connected to the same PC at the same time for multiplayer before.

Even then, as long as Steam recognizes a controller connected you should be able to use Steam Input to force a mapping on the game, right?

Yea. Just enable the controller options in steam and regardless of the game’s built in controller recognition issues most of the time everything will work fine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think that guy is too late, didn't the NFT bubble already burst?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I ended up uninstalling the Gamepass version and bought it on Steam due to the Gamepass version issues. Great game. For $25 or whatever it is, it's a great buy.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oxxidation posted:

i seriously can't deal with the loving cryptocultists on top of everything else happening this decade

If this ain't a loving mood.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Kaddish posted:

I ended up uninstalling the Gamepass version and bought it on Steam due to the Gamepass version issues. Great game. For $25 or whatever it is, it's a great buy.

What are the issues, been playing the gamepass version and it seems fine. Really neat game.

edit: oh, i guess i doesn't have dlss or rt for some reason
double edit: i guess it does have ray tracing, i dunno can't really use it on my system

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 30, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Count Uvula posted:

Got a link by any chance? Interested in seeing the response, and Google only turns up the entire Steam store-wide announcement feed without this post showing up anywhere.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Got a link by any chance? Interested in seeing the response, and Google only turns up the entire Steam store-wide announcement feed without this post showing up anywhere.

Looks like the response is here, nothing interesting unfortunately.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SkyeAuroline posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/809540/view/2978553513133921060
The game's only got ~220 reviews in over 3 years so it's not really a surprise the news post only has 3 responses. I assume it's got a 91% user review rating cause most of the people who played it were like me and went "okay this is boring but I'm not gonna bother negatively reviewing an unsuccessful game by a tiny indie developer."

MMF Freeway posted:

I think that guy is too late, didn't the NFT bubble already burst?

That's kind of a complicated question to answer but NBA Top Shots is kicking along at about 25% of its peak volume by USD-equivalent of its currency and there's still horrifically ugly Cryptopunks being sold for millions of dollars as of... apparently today. Pretty much: The NFT bubble burst but there's still a lot of transactions happening between cryptocurrency nerds and people suckered in to the Top Shots stuff (unless they've all been scared off by their cards losing a large amount of value and most of what's left is cryptocurrency nerds who happen to also like NBA). Since the bubble a few months ago was likely just some big Ethereum holders trying to cash out money without devaluing the rest of their holdings, most of the NFT-minting companies were probably considered successful for their purpose and any longevity to those markets would have just been added earnings on top.

You can expect NFTs to be a 'thing' on a semi-regular basis for the foreseeable future because creating an artificial speculation market with massive headline-grabbing sales (almost assuredly fake transactions between colluding cryptomillionaires) gets people who don't have any crypto holdings to spend their stable fiat currency to get in to that market thinking they can strike it rich, which lets people holding the currency cash out. This will remain a viable tactic for them unless news companies and other schmucks stop convincing regular people to buy in cause 'oh my god an nft someone bought for 200 dollars sold for 2 million!'

I would like to note there's no room for tiny attempts to use NFTs for poo poo like 'dlc for an indie game' in that scheme.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 30, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

What are the issues, been playing the gamepass version and it seems fine. Really neat game.

edit: oh, i guess i doesn't have dlss or rt for some reason
double edit: i guess it does have ray tracing, i dunno can't really use it on my system

Our suspicion is that the gamepass version is a patch behind and they couldn't clear the steam version through microsoft QA in time for release.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Our suspicion is that the gamepass version is a patch behind and they couldn't clear the steam version through microsoft QA in time for release.

Ah, thanks for the info. Hope that's true because DLSS always makes things run better. If it doesn't get then I'll still play it because the game is awesome.

edit: oh, i think i read that wrong, are you saying gamepass got the xbox version instead of the steam version

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 30, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

Ah, thanks for the info. Hope that's true because DLSS always makes things run better. If it doesn't get then I'll still play it because the game is awesome.

edit: oh, i think i read that wrong, are you saying gamepass got the xbox version instead of the steam version

There's no reason for the gamepass version to be fundamentally different to the steam version, we think that a demand Microsoft probably put on gamepass is that the PC and XBOX versions must always be crossplay and cross-save compatible, which means that the pc gamepass version can never be a patch ahead of the xbox version.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Alchenar posted:

There's no reason for the gamepass version to be fundamentally different to the steam version, we think that a demand Microsoft probably put on gamepass is that the PC and XBOX versions must always be crossplay and cross-save compatible, which means that the pc gamepass version can never be a patch ahead of the xbox version.

I see, thanks!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cant think of a single early access game thats been EA for 2+ years that wasn't a pile of poo poo or completely abandoned.

It's always fun to check any early access games in your inventory and check when they last updated. I always wanted to like/play Nekro and owned it for years, but when I finally played it the whole game felt like a Warcraft 3 mod with a graphics upgrade.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

pentyne posted:

I cant think of a single early access game thats been EA for 2+ years that wasn't a pile of poo poo or completely abandoned.

It's always fun to check any early access games in your inventory and check when they last updated. I always wanted to like/play Nekro and owned it for years, but when I finally played it the whole game felt like a Warcraft 3 mod with a graphics upgrade.

Oxygen Not Included and Factorio were in EA for 2 and 4 years respectively, but I guess they're out of it now so technically they don't count

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Project Zomboid has been EA for like 8 years and is supposed to be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hades was in Early Access for nearly two years.