Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Draga posted:

Man, the mammoth Noises do not gently caress around do they?

NO THEY DON'T. Normal makes them a bit more manageable, though. Particularly if you're going for the big chains during the Scramble Slam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jesus Christ the W3D4 boss fight is fun as hell but also a nightmare and I have no idea how you’re supposed to do that one

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus Christ the W3D4 boss fight is fun as hell but also a nightmare and I have no idea how you’re supposed to do that one

Leo Cantus Armo, yeah? He's nightmarish, yeah, easily the most active story boss—only second-most difficult, though, imo. You basically are just meant to load up on water affinity pins and be really on the ball with dodging the pillars.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, just so I’m prepared how much of a pain is the final boss of this game (you mentioned it’s a pretty long fight at least)? Also any particular pins you’d recommend taking into it?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, just so I’m prepared how much of a pain is the final boss of this game (you mentioned it’s a pretty long fight at least)? Also any particular pins you’d recommend taking into it?

I'd recommend bringing along a rebooting healing pin, the only time I'd recommend that for the entire game. The fight is long enough that I think it's necessary, especially because you're probably not going to be building up Killer Remixes fast enough to cover your healing needs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
These days are getting real long and I don't wanna have to redo this one later so (W2D4) is there anything extra you get for doing all the urban legend sections or can you just move on without worry once the wall's removed?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Lotus Aura posted:

These days are getting real long and I don't wanna have to redo this one later so (W2D4) is there anything extra you get for doing all the urban legend sections or can you just move on without worry once the wall's removed?

Some of the rewards for turning in the urban legends are elementary particle material pins, of which you only get a limited amount of, and for which getting all of them is necessary for 100% completion. I'd recommend doing them all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rea posted:

Leo Cantus Armo, yeah? He's nightmarish, yeah, easily the most active story boss—only second-most difficult, though, imo. You basically are just meant to load up on water affinity pins and be really on the ball with dodging the pillars.

That’s pretty much exactly what I did, but I couldn’t outdamage his armor and needed to use healing pins for the first time in the game just to outlast him

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kantesu posted:

NO THEY DON'T. Normal makes them a bit more manageable, though. Particularly if you're going for the big chains during the Scramble Slam.

Yeah they definitely mark the point where you have to start paying attention to what goes on in battle instead of mashing randomly. Especially when noise actually starts getting HP to not get insta-evaporated shortly after. Would have appreciated more of those in the first scramble slam instead of having to deliberately chain mammoths and t-rexes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume there’s a Scramble Slam every week then (though I imagine they get shorter as the game goes on and more teams start getting erased)?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

I assume there’s a Scramble Slam every week then (though I imagine they get shorter as the game goes on and more teams start getting erased)?

If week 2 is any indication, the opposite. You have more turf to fight over than in week 1, and you can unlock the ability to make 10 chains by that point. So scoring is way easier, especially since all the noise have much more HP, so you can basically just make strong beat drop builds without sandbagging as long as you make 10 chains for enough of the turf and player battles. Hell if you can catch all the noise in a fusion attack, do so. Mass damage grants a ton of points. Week 1's Scramble Slam is just kind of not balanced that great due to asking you to do a lot with tutorial tier noise which can't generate as much points due to dying in a few hits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, some new areas of the city open up during Week 2 after all so that’d make sense.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, is it practically impossible to hit 60k in the Week 1 scramble, then?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Regalingualius posted:

It's possible, but you really have to understand the tricks of earlygame Scramble Slams to do it. I managed it, but I legit don't know how to fully describe how I did. A lot of it comes down to just unleashing as many attacks as you can during a mashup, preferably the non-elemental one, and going for as many of the low-groove beatdrops as you can.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also when it comes to the pins that require charging to use properly a good strategy I’ve found is to begin the charge while another character is in the middle of attacking. Otherwise you usually won’t make it in time to do a successful beat drop.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I need to do some more testing if higher drop rate means more Scramble points.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also when it comes to the pins that require charging to use properly a good strategy I’ve found is to begin the charge while another character is in the middle of attacking. Otherwise you usually won’t make it in time to do a successful beat drop.

You don't even have to do that. You can just hold the charge(s) down while using tap pins like normal and fire them off pre-emptively. That helps even more when trying to get Excellents that line up early in the Beatdrop.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Coming back to this post now that I actually understand it...

Rea posted:

It's a mechanic discussed in a presskit well beforehand, so I don't feel bad discussing it.

Scramble Slams were loving miserable before this patch. Not necessarily to just power through and get over with, but getting the rewards on your first go around—something the game very much expects that you can do—was goddamn impossible in the unpatched version. You just didn't get enough points per battle without having to, I'm not kidding, deliberately equip low-power pins so you can continually get SP off of doing beatdrops. On the first one especially you just don't have enough opportunities to earn SP without sandbagging hard. It was bizarre and counterintuitive and BAD.

To be clear, Scramble Points are things you get from doing battle either with rival team groups, or with Turf Noise groups. They're also active in any battles you chain together with a rival team group or Turf Noise. You get them by dealing damage to enemies, erasing enemies, and by getting beatdrops. Getting beatdrops increases your combo modifier, which increases the amount of SP you get from any of those things. One Noise per battle is marked as a bonus Noise, which multiplies all SP gained from it by 3x, on top of your combo modifier.

The patch fixes things by vastly increasing the max SP combo modifier (to 5x from 2x) and the rate at which you gain combo modifiers (to 0.4x per combo action from 0.1x). To compensate, they removed the bonus based on your current Groove, and the bonus for rare Noise groups, but those are small potatoes compared to being able to consistently get higher amounts of SP. You also just generally get 5% more SP for dealing damage than you did in the unpatched game.

Holy poo poo, I don't even understand how you were supposed to topscore in week 1's Scramble Slam under those conditions! Chaining mammoths and T-rexes would not have been enough without sand bagging to an even more absurd degree! :catstare:

Regalingualius posted:

You can, I've done it. You have to be very picky with what noise you chain, mammoths and t-rexes if possible. If not, scorpions are the next best thing. You can also chain into another player, snag 4 noise then run in front of someone. (It's possible to chain 5 noise, but it's frame perfect and you have to let the 5th noise hit you right as you walk in front of them. I couldn't replicate it after pulling it off once.) You also need a build that can generate as many beat drops as possible without dealing a lot of damage and just whale on the high HP noise as much as possible. You have to sandbag quite a bit in order to topscore, but it's doable. I even had room for error at the end, but by then I just rushed through to the end after top scoring.

For week 2 this won't be necessary. Just have a build that can constantly generate beat drops is enough, and make sure to make lots of 10 chains for each score battle. There's more noise and territory to score in.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Welp, running into the problem where I'm severely mediocre at action games and getting absolutely pasted by mammoths. It took me probably ten tries to kill one on Hard.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Alright I'm finally entering what I assume is the games last stretch having just met the Ruin Bringers leader. I still feel like I have no idea what anyone's motives are. I don't know what Sho is factoring, I dunno who Rhyme is being the girl in the chair for, I don't why the entire Shinjuku reaperhood are erasing cities and nobody has so much as mentioned the Composer. I remember Coco from the bonus chapter of TWEWY final remix so I assume she related to Sho and the pointedly absent Neku but she's only been in like two scenes talking to herself so who knows. This week has a real shitload to unpack.

Least Shoka is sticking around, she's fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Welp, running into the problem where I'm severely mediocre at action games and getting absolutely pasted by mammoths. It took me probably ten tries to kill one on Hard.

Mammoths basically are a very rude awakening after dealing with chaff noise for the first 5 days. Their attacks are pretty simple, it's just you eat concrete if you gently caress up dodging them. The laser beams are telegraphed by it raising its trunk, and going around in a circle suffices. The shockwave is telegraphed by them lifting up their legs, and dodging towards the inner circles after it it finishes exploding is enough for that. Alternatively you can just go to the outer edge of the arena when you see it coming, as the shockwave doesn't actually go that far. You basically can't blindly attack them and have to start learning how to get off of your enemy when you see the telegraph so you can dodge their attack. Once you get that down, they're basically a big sack of points to get easy scramble points off of.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I was able to survive 1 mammoth on Hard, but going into another at half health (or less) meant I got pasted a whole bunch. Switched to Normal just so I could work some beatdrops without worrying about dying so much.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Araxxor posted:

you eat concrete if you gently caress up dodging them
Hi! I suck horribly at dodging! :smith:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Mammoths have a pretty simple pattern and super telegraphed attacks but they do so much damage I still found it hard to take several of them in chains. They're long enough fights that if I fight several in a row i'm absolutely going to mess up just a couple of times and instantly go from max hp to 0.

Still probably got a better track record against them than the scorpions though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chameleon Noise are kind of annoying as well, mostly because they can only be hurt after they launch an attack on you and cloak themselves again not long afterwards.

Agreed on the mammoths but I’ve never really had a whole lot of trouble from the scorpions or sharks personally (in fact the latter are arguably easier to deal with here than they were in the first game, mostly because you can actually pull them out of the “water” and get some extra hits in while they helplessly flop around).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also in the second Scramble Slam, if you're interested in farming points, there's an opportunity the game offers to help with that. When given the choice to disrupt the tag team or not, you can choose not to and go after the Purehearts instead of the Variabeauties. Doing so results in you losing Scramble Crossing to the Purehearts, which gives you 3 more opportunities to earn points.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Chameleon's introduction being a rude boss fight where you're a man down, no less makes them out to be meaner than they are afterwards. Launching and/or chaining them utterly ruins them and so long as you keep beatdrop comboing after that they can't really do anything, but that boss fight is super intimidating at first.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Man poo poo is getting really obnoxiously tanky as the game goes on. I smoked Tsugami or whatever or her name is giant bird girl form no problem in a minute or two, now I can't even beat the timer on the mandatory dive on W3D1 after mostly getting the gold on them until now. I don't think I've picked a gimped pin load out or anything? poo poo seems to just be taking forever to die.

Hold up, figured it out. Turns out I misread a pair of pants that were tanking my teams attack in exchange for enhanced metabolism. Annoying!

Caidin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 31, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Caidin posted:

Man poo poo is getting really obnoxiously tanky as the game goes on. I smoked Tsugami or whatever or her name is giant bird girl form no problem in a minute or two, now I can't even beat the timer on the mandatory dive on W3D1 after mostly getting the gold on them until now. I don't think I've picked a gimped pin load out or anything? poo poo seems to just be taking forever to die.

Hold up, figured it out. Turns out I misread a pair of pants that were tanking my teams attack in exchange for enhanced metabolism. Annoying!

lmao yeah, the Christmassy Pants are a huge trap in that regard. Did you know that in the unpatched game, it was possible for the Autostyle option to auatomatically equip Jinxed threads? Enjoy being automatically equipped with threads that halve your damage and automatically put you in mortal peril!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rea posted:

lmao yeah, the Christmassy Pants are a huge trap in that regard. Did you know that in the unpatched game, it was possible for the Autostyle option to auatomatically equip Jinxed threads? Enjoy being automatically equipped with threads that halve your damage and automatically put you in mortal peril!

:stare: I assume that was the possible bugfix you mentioned earlier?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Araxxor posted:

:stare: I assume that was the possible bugfix you mentioned earlier?

That was fixed in the day 1 patch, yes, though there's another one that was arguably more impactful.

Killer Remixes, in the unpatched game, were affected by abilities that boosted ATK, which could make them ridiculously powerful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Spent an hour in the second slam trying to do a 9 chain fight. At oen point I basically ahd it won but someone touched the fire trail and that took my last bit of health. Had to learn to let go and stick to like chain 4.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Just found out something that makes scoring in Scramble Slams far less painful. And makes me understand what in the world the scoring system was asking from you. Because farming beat drops for ages resulted in very long and campy battle chains which could not have been what they intended for this.

The amount of damage you finish off a noise with heavily matters. It can be the biggest difference between getting a few hundred points and several thousand from one battle. (At least in week 2. Dunno the actual formula they use for scoring so I can't speak for week 1.) So basically the idea was to build up the combo meter during battle, and then finish off all the noise with the biggest and most overkill attacks you have, which fusions could fall under, though not all fusion elements are great candidates for this. (Finishing off noise with a low damage multihit is a great way to get out with low point payouts.) And saving the 3x noise for last for the biggest payouts.

Singular big hit pins are also great for finishing off noise with large amounts of damage too. (Psychic Shotgun is a great pin for this in the second one.)

I assume the original multipliers operated under the assumption that you'd be overkilling every single noise possible... which isn't really how players end up playing the game. Wonder if they saw how players were playing the demo and realized that would not line up with the scoring system in Scramble Slams.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Araxxor posted:

I assume the original multipliers operated under the assumption that you'd be overkilling every single noise possible... which isn't really how players end up playing the game. Wonder if they saw how players were playing the demo and realized that would not line up with the scoring system in Scramble Slams.

The game has a lot of telemetry internally, so yeah, entirely possible they looked at metrics from reviewers/influencers, saw that SP totals were in the pits, and made an emergency change for the day 1 patch.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Goddamn does Kill The Itch rock. Breaking Free is also amazing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’m on W3D7-2 and I would just like to say time loops time loops time looooooops

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still love the music genre Noise names like Jelly Madchester and Drum N' Stinger

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
And all the pigs are named after dances: Samba, Cha Cha, Waltz, etc. Noise names are great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
gently caress the final boss, bring light pins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

W2D1: what’s the trick to the pair of pigs that keep regenerating?