Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Fallom posted:

Cspam was where I encountered the opinion that vaccines are bad because their existence means that the west won’t be forced into becoming an authoritarian communist state and i can’t fault it for that

Now they think they’re bad because they’re literally useless so maybe that means they’re good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

How are u posted:

It's because very few people are operating at your same level of fear and anxiety w/r/t covid, as vaccinated people.

Actually it's because I know the hassle of wearing a properly fitted kn95 and that half mask thing is literally the same.
And I'm older and don't care if I look odd to strangers, gently caress em.

I never ever wear a mask outside.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e2.htm?s_cid=mm7031e2_w

Just saw a link to this. There's a hotspot in Massachusetts and 74% of the cases are vaccinated individuals.

Getting my vaccination last March/April gave me a little peace of mind combined with continued mask wearing.

Reading stories like this make me feel a little uneasy knowing that only 14 of my 135 students wore masks today and I'm one of two staff members out of 37 who still wear a mask (or at least in the staff meeting Wednesday). It's going to spread like wildfire in the next couple weeks and my district and other schools around here have already said they're not closing for it again.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 30, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
The CSPAM thread can't be that bad. Lemme check.

Oh god, there's 1,506 new posts there since the last 24 hrs. No way in gently caress I'm reading through that.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The CSPAM thread is good, funny and informative and one of the few places you can post that covid is bad w/o getting a sixer

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Spinz posted:

Actually it's because I know the hassle of wearing a properly fitted kn95 and that half mask thing is literally the same.

I personally find the respirator to be both easier to fit properly and easier to breathe through than the KN95s I had.

Today was the first time I’ve taken it off outside my apartment in more or less a full year.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Spinz posted:

Hey, you're the one who said you're astonished that nobody else wears respirators. You really think that nobody else wears them just because they expect respirators to be a hassle and/or that people will make fun of them?

Do what you need to do to feel safe, but you asked and I gave an honest answer.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

How are u posted:

Hey, you're the one who said you're astonished that nobody else wears respirators. You really think that nobody else wears them just because they expect respirators to be a hassle and/or that people will make fun of them?

Do what you need to do to feel safe, but you asked and I gave an honest answer.
Ok no problem :)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

smoobles posted:

The CSPAM thread is good, funny and informative and one of the few places you can post that covid is bad w/o getting a sixer

yeah there sure is an epidemic of posters ITT getting probed for the controversial opinion of covid is bad.

mods please have mercy on me

e:

MarcusSA posted:

COVID is bad actually.

MODS?!?

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 30, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

COVID is bad actually.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
There's also been a lot of discouragement from CDC officials, workplaces, and community health officials on wearing respirators for various reasons. Some people who know they filter better won't wear them because they think there's a short supply, or they have to look welcoming for customer service reasons or their boss will yell at them

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

How are u posted:

Try to teach yourself how to let go of the things you can't control. The bad things in life become slightly easier live with.

Yeah sorry, I shouldn’t have anxiety-posted like that. I just need to step away from this thread and the internet in general for a bit, and focus on other things.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Interesting that they would use imagery from something they claim didn’t happen to moralize about a virus that they claim doesn’t exist.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need a huge loving citation on that. Even if it's true (it's not), it's really lovely to suggest that old people, fat people, etc., have no quality of life and who gives a poo poo if they die. People have been edging in that direction the whole pandemic ("don't worry, it only affects people with preexisting conditions [and that's not us and they don't matter]"), but you sure did come out and say it.

It's good that the death toll is as low as it is. Be happy about that. But all of those people, even if they were 80 or fat or had asthma, mattered and were loved and died sooner than they would have otherwise. And people who are equally vulnerable are reading your post.

lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/i/events/1421165256374513664 so yeah wear a mask, thanks.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

smoobles posted:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

If you are in the minuscule class of vaccinated person who contracts a breakthrough case, you may be shedding a similar viral load as an unvaccinated person would for a much shorter period of time than an unvaccinated person shedding virus, so no, you do not spread it just the same.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

If you are in the minuscule class of vaccinated person who contracts a breakthrough case, you may be shedding a similar viral load as an unvaccinated person would for a much shorter period of time than an unvaccinated person shedding virus, so no, you do not spread it just the same.

I know you do not want it to be bad but it is bad and ignoring that it is bad is also bad. the more we downplay this the more we end up like we did early in this sucker.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pinecone Sample posted:

Excuse me, but CDC says to update your communications re the prevalence of breakthrough cases.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I know you do not want it to be bad but it is bad and ignoring that it is bad is also bad. the more we downplay this the more we end up like we did early in this sucker.

No.

I do not want you to spread antivax disinfo because of the mainstream media's vagueness in scientific illiteracy.

The vaccines are highly effective against the delta variant. Against contracting it, and against severity and duration of illness in the unlikely event that you do.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Excuse me, but CDC says to update your communications re the prevalence of breakthrough cases.

Are you telling me that I should say rare, not minuscule? I don't get it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

3 days of tweets
3 months of records smashed

Seems bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pinecone Sample posted:

I prefer the other headline because maybe we can convince the idiots who won’t get vaccinated that leftists will purposely infect them to kill them off if they don’t.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pinecone Sample posted:

Are you telling me that I should say rare, not minuscule? I don't get it.

The wording is a bit awkward, but it’s “update communications describing”, not “update communications to describe”.

It would be clearer as “update communications which describe”, but I digress.

If your county public health department currently describes breakthroughs as “rare”, “a small percentage”, or presumably “minuscule”, you should revise that so as to manage public expectations in this phase of the pandemic.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Everyone should wear a mask, because rules have to be made based upon the worst possible behavior in a system, also because you may not know if you are asymptomatic or barely symptomatic since your vaccine works really well!

But I'm not about to start calling 125,000 breakthrough cases in 164 million vaccinated persons *merely uncommon*

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

I prefer the other headline because maybe we can convince the idiots who won’t get vaccinated that leftists will purposely infect them to kill them off if they don’t.

vaccinated antifa supersoldiers with breakthrough infections are coming to cough on you!

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

How long til that spike protein mutates nullifying all the vaccine efforts? It’s practically inevitable.

The nub virus kills us all.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Fur20 posted:

the current position is, ALL vaccinated people who have a high enough viral load, symptomatic or not, are covid factories. good thing the cdc was discounting asymptomatic breakthrough infections from their data collection!
Yeah it's absolutely astonishing how badly the CDC has hosed up. This is literally their one job. It was one thing when Rpmtu was in charge and they had to fall in line or get fired. Now that he's not...they are still loving up.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The CSPAM thread can't be that bad. Lemme check.

Oh god, there's 1,506 new posts there since the last 24 hrs. No way in gently caress I'm reading through that.
The CSPAM thread is that bad because covid is that bad, hth

I read it sometimes because it has good info but it's literally impossible to keep up with every post.

Pinecone Sample posted:

But I'm not about to start calling 125,000 breakthrough cases in 164 million vaccinated persons *merely uncommon*
Yeah, but how many of those 164 million are still taking precautions? Wifezwang and I sure are. And do we know that given the vaccines' effectiveness against delta, there aren't potentially more asymptomatic carriers than there would have been with wild type SARS-CoV-2 and no vaccine?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No we want people to be properly informed so they can maintain an adequate level of caution and not get caught unprepared when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan again (just as it is right now)

But fluffy bunnies wasn't talking about hypotheticals, they were hoping actual cases increased.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

What’s the deal with vaccinated people spreading the virus?
Is a matter of the vaccine didn’t elicit a strong response in them so their body doesn’t fight it as quick?
Or is the incubation period just really short for this particular virus and your immune system just doesn’t respond faster than it takes to start reproducing and become contagious?

Were/are there similar cases with the old vaccines like MMR or even the yearly flu stuff, jut not nearly as common since they aren’t as prevalent as covid?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

No.

I do not want you to spread antivax disinfo because of the mainstream media's vagueness in scientific illiteracy.

The vaccines are highly effective against the delta variant. Against contracting it, and against severity and duration of illness in the unlikely event that you do.

Then break it down for them instead of purposely endangering people when the vaccines are not able to combat this by simply being vaccinated alone.

Pekinduck posted:

But fluffy bunnies wasn't talking about hypotheticals, they were hoping actual cases increased.

How does anybody get that from what I post? I bury people who die from this poo poo. Nobody wants this poo poo to increase. I want it to go the gently caress away so I don't have to listen to people sob through their headphone at zoom funerals in 13 loving days, again.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 31, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

latinotwink1997 posted:

Is a matter of the vaccine didn’t elicit a strong response in them so their body doesn’t fight it as quick?
Or is the incubation period just really short for this particular virus and your immune system just doesn’t respond faster than it takes to start reproducing and become contagious?

Were/are there similar cases with the old vaccines like MMR or even the yearly flu stuff, jut not nearly as common since they aren’t as prevalent as covid?
The vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity for this virus, so you can spread it while being vaccinated and not having symptoms

Other viruses have vaccines that provide sterilizing immunity.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

latinotwink1997 posted:

Essentially the virus multiplies very quickly in the upper respiratory tract and the vaccines don't provide local sterilization. It sits there seeping into your cells until your immune system notices and starts to fight it/develop symptoms. That's usually 3-5 days with Delta? I'm not sure, details on that are sketchy, but while it replicates in your nose and throat you are already shedding live virus without a clue.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Then break it down for them instead of purposely endangering people when the vaccines are not able to combat this by simply being vaccinated alone.

How does anybody get that from what I post? I bury people who die from this poo poo. Nobody wants this poo poo to increase. I want it to go the gently caress away so I don't have to listen to people sob through their headphone at zoom funerals in 13 loving days, again.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

evidence is leaning toward everybody spreads this loving thing, still.

c-spam thread is good, this thread has some folks who cannot deal with the truth that we are still in a tailspin with this covid poo poo and hiss "doomer" at anybody who is watchin' this with a worried eye, which is disheartening, but I honestly hope that their perception of the pandemic becomes what is actually happening a hell of a lot sooner than later. I currently go back to funerals on August 12th and I really don't want to.

Just reading what you wrote my dude.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A thousand people admitted to the hospital in six hours? I'm sure It's fine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

:cripes:

I hope that the people who think this thing is going away and that we're all doomers are right and that I am proven wrong and a nervous nellie gosh.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Zugzwang posted:

The CSPAM thread is that bad because covid is that bad, hth

I read it sometimes because it has good info but it's literally impossible to keep up with every post.

Somethingy recently graphed daily cspam covid posts along with daily US case counts. The curves followed each other precisely.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pekinduck posted:

You obviously are not. She wants their perception to align with reality, which is that everyone needs to protect themselves as best they can, that a deadly virus is spreading fast and they are in danger. She would prefer everyone stay home and stay safe than expose themselves needlessly, then get sick and die needlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:cripes:

I hope that the people who think this thing is going away and that we're all doomers are right and that I am proven wrong and a nervous nellie gosh.

Oh wait you were referencing mainstream opinion not doomers? Fair enough, sorry.