Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I enjoy the 6-7” scale stuff because of the detail it allows, but the more I collect the more I think I prefer 3.75”. You lose detail of course, but it’s just so much less space that’s taken up by stuff. Unless you have a dedicated shelf or display it just end up looking like clutter and it drives me nuts.

But that’s just my personal taste based on my current living space, ymmv and I do dig people’s giant displays.

I preferred 3.75" when I was a kid and actively playing with my toys (because the scale allowed for fun vehicles and playsets. Honestly, my ideal scale was like micro machines or Zbots, because then it was easy to make normal furniture into epic set pieces), but I've been scaling bigger and bigger recently. I went from 6" to 7", and now I'm kind of looking at a mix between 7" and 12" as my ideal scale for stuff to sit on the shelves.

Part of what I like about collecting is that for many IP's, there's enough out there in different scales to meet all different kind of interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

That's a lot of Jason Voorhies!

My ultimate goal/dream collection is one Jason per movie by NECA, or others if need be, same for Godzilla.

I'm excluding Kid Jason because he doesn't really fit and by the time I got into it he was extremely rare. So far I have 2, 3, 4, Dream 5, Roy, Six, FvJ, and 12. Since each Jason has a unique design from movie to movie, even dream Jason from 5, I also paired them with a unique weapon of murder where applicable. 2 has his pickaxe, 3 has a pitchfork, 4 has a bone saw, Dream has a one handed axe, Roy has his sheers, Six is going to have his fence post when I can find the drat thing again, FvJ has a flaming machete and 12 has a fire poker.

I'm going to run into issues soon though- 7 has a plethora of choices, but if they ever make 8, 9, 10 and Uber, there will be issues. 8 never used a machete so I'm good there, 9 I'm not sure what they're going to do with, but 10 and Uber pretty much only used machetes, same as FvJ. So I might have to bite the bullet on them.

Though 10 did have a neat chain spear thing. I can hope they give him that.

Its hard to tell because my lighting, but I'm up to twelve Godzillas at the moment, including every single unique NECA sculpt. As they eat up the most room, they have their own dedicated mega display off in the corner at the moment with other kaiju related things.

Honestly I'm pretty close to content with my collection. I've got the Big Chap Alien on pre-order with BBTS who will round out my 80s horror icons, I've got my Ranger itch handled by Super7 in the nebulous future, I have no desire for more Freddys or Michaels

I just need four more Jasons and I'm done there and Godzilla/kaiju stuff is ever green for me.

Oh and UltraSevens. Any time I can snatch up an UltraSeven I will.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Good poo poo. I mostly just buy NECA myself because it's a good price point for the quality of the sculpts and the number of accessories they give you. Sometimes the articulation leaves something to be desired but even that's still pretty decent. Godzilla poo poo is always cool and NECA is a great choice there too because of how much Godzilla figures cost and how good they look. I have the Regular Shin Godzilla, the shooting fire one, and 1954. I have a few small Godzillas here and there too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

My ultimate goal/dream collection is one Jason per movie by NECA, or others if need be, same for Godzilla.

I'm excluding Kid Jason because he doesn't really fit and by the time I got into it he was extremely rare. So far I have 2, 3, 4, Dream 5, Roy, Six, FvJ, and 12. Since each Jason has a unique design from movie to movie, even dream Jason from 5, I also paired them with a unique weapon of murder where applicable. 2 has his pickaxe, 3 has a pitchfork, 4 has a bone saw, Dream has a one handed axe, Roy has his sheers, Six is going to have his fence post when I can find the drat thing again, FvJ has a flaming machete and 12 has a fire poker.

I'm going to run into issues soon though- 7 has a plethora of choices, but if they ever make 8, 9, 10 and Uber, there will be issues. 8 never used a machete so I'm good there, 9 I'm not sure what they're going to do with, but 10 and Uber pretty much only used machetes, same as FvJ. So I might have to bite the bullet on them.

Though 10 did have a neat chain spear thing. I can hope they give him that.

Are you me? (though I gave Dream 5 a machete since he is technically a "vision" and not "real", and 12 has the two headed axe.)

10 should be fine since he used that medical? machete, and Uber will have his unique looking blade. Might have to find a Evil Dead Ash and give 9 a Kandarian Dagger (heh), and 8? Maybe he'll come with a guitar.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 29, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Are you me? (though I gave Dream 5 a machete since he is technically a "vision" and not "real", and 12 has the two headed axe.)

10 should be fine since he used that medical? machete, and Uber will have his unique looking blade. Might have to find a Evil Dead Ash and give 9 a Kandarian Dagger (heh), and 8? Maybe he'll come with a guitar.

8 better come with a loving guitar

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Where the one with the sleeping bag and tree?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I hit up Target again today and found the entire Ursa Major ML wave, the Target exc McFarlane Shriek, He-Man Mossman and Evil Lyn and the new origin Bumblebee. I had to use a cart for the first time in a long time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Where the one with the sleeping bag and tree?

Seven is the one you're thinking of but NECA were cowards and didn't give us either

UberJason in X also does a similar kind of kill

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Woohoo! Just got my tracking number for Butcher!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

Name of the game is, I collect what I love. That's my focus, that's my drive.

The first two photos made me think "I expected a lot more Toku characters :confused: " and then I saw the other pics. Fun stuff! Is the big Ultra 7 a posable suit figure?

And I agree about the collect what you love- since I collect sofubi with an emphasis on independent artists I end up getting some weird poo poo that most here would probably scratch there heads at but I enjoy so, so much.

For example, the other day I felt super lucky because I won a lottery spot for a Ramen-kun from Don't Cry In The Morning!

He's unlike anything else I have but I am looking so forward to getting him in the mail in a couple months!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The first two photos made me think "I expected a lot more Toku characters :confused: " and then I saw the other pics. Fun stuff! Is the big Ultra 7 a posable suit figure?

It is indeed. The second, I believe, RAH UltraSeven from back at the start of the 2010s, late 2000s. He's a peak of my whole thing. I'd kill to have a proper seven inch Seven to go with the NECA crew though. Though I'm staring down the barrel of a 1/12th Mezco in the (far) future so we'll see.

I also have a slew of Rider figuarts that I simply don't have room to show off, and a lot of them didn't make the house move intact a few years ago so I feel bad having them out. It definitely put me off figuarts, I won't lie, though I still had to get Seven. The NECA (and SIC Riders) guys live up on the mantle not for any importance reasons, as otherwise the Godzillas would be (back) up there, but simply because it is the most stable place in the house. Some of them have such poor hips that they'd topple over if you walked near them otherwise. I've heard similar things about MOTU Classics. I plan to get all seven original Riders in SIC format to hang out with the NECA crowd, but that's a long term collection goal. Super7 Rangers, Zords and monsters are also coming.

I just also really like Jason Voorhees.

I'd get the Universal lot but I'd really rather collect them all in Black and White and NECA have been...non-confirmable about how they're doing that. And I despise the paint job on the Wolf-Man quite a bit. What an ugly job.

NECA Gargoyles is another non Toku product I'm side eyeing, but it's a distant side eye. I know for a loving fact how much room those guys would eat up.

quote:

And I agree about the collect what you love- since I collect sofubi with an emphasis on independent artists I end up getting some weird poo poo that most here would probably scratch there heads at but I enjoy so, so much.

For example, the other day I felt super lucky because I won a lottery spot for a Ramen-kun from Don't Cry In The Morning!

He's unlike anything else I have but I am looking so forward to getting him in the mail in a couple months!

That's awesome! You're going to have to show him off when he arrives

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Gatos I'm confused - did you win that sofubi, or did you win an opportunity to buy it? I see sofubi lotteries come up on my insta feed, but I never really pay too close attention.

Either way that's a rad little toy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Gatos I'm confused - did you win that sofubi, or did you win an opportunity to buy it? I see sofubi lotteries come up on my insta feed, but I never really pay too close attention.

Either way that's a rad little toy.

Winning a lottery for a sofubi means you can purchase it. It's the system that a lot of independent makers use to avoid bots buying things in .002 seconds. Since they are all hand painted they take a lot of time (even when you are using paint masks, which help a lot but still have to be cleaned etc) so it's rare that there are many produced in each colorway. I think the most I've seen an indy maker do is just over 100, and that's nuts to me. When a figure is announced it is previewed for a few days then eventually they are announced when the lottery will start. There are usually set rules such as when the lottery starts and ends, where you have to email and the information you have to provide. Usually the info is pretty much your name, address, and paypal address. More and more they are wanting you to also provide your IG or Twitter accounts so they can see if you are a known scalper/flipper. These artists really want their toys in the hands of fans, so I know a lot of them lock out people they know are just buying to flip for a profit, but it's not completely avoidable.

One maker who regularly shows his process including painting updates is Cojika Toy. He makes some amazing dinosaur based kaiju sofubi. His latest is a new colorway of his giant sea tortoise with a bathyscaphe that attaches to it's fin via a magnet! https://www.instagram.com/hiramoto_kaiju/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love what you bring to this thread man, I knew nothing about this stuff previously.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

I love what you bring to this thread man, I knew nothing about this stuff previously.

:agreed: that was some good info.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

It is indeed. The second, I believe, RAH UltraSeven from back at the start of the 2010s, late 2000s. He's a peak of my whole thing. I'd kill to have a proper seven inch Seven to go with the NECA crew though. Though I'm staring down the barrel of a 1/12th Mezco in the (far) future so we'll see.

I also have a slew of Rider figuarts that I simply don't have room to show off, and a lot of them didn't make the house move intact a few years ago so I feel bad having them out. It definitely put me off figuarts, I won't lie, though I still had to get Seven. The NECA (and SIC Riders) guys live up on the mantle not for any importance reasons, as otherwise the Godzillas would be (back) up there, but simply because it is the most stable place in the house. Some of them have such poor hips that they'd topple over if you walked near them otherwise. I've heard similar things about MOTU Classics. I plan to get all seven original Riders in SIC format to hang out with the NECA crowd, but that's a long term collection goal. Super7 Rangers, Zords and monsters are also coming.

Nice! I have a couple RAH figures but they are in their boxes- I really need to get some new cases and rearrange pretty much all of my collection. At this point I have a bunch of figures that are just on my floor :/

Yeah I agree on the Figuarts. I really like a lot of them and probably will still continue to try and get various Ultras because I love them so much, but they ARE fragile little things. Recently I found an Ultraman Titus that tempted me but at $250 I passed. I think in a way that's why I continue favor sofubi not only because of their hand-made aesthetic that I love so much, but also because they are near indestructible and still have a huge playability factor. When friends would come over with their kids I'd let the kids have fun with a lot of my collection (with a few exceptions) as long as they don't throw them against the wall. Heck, I've passed some of my figures onto co-worker's and friends kids because in the end that's what they are really for. I've sent some photos of the kids getting them and flipping out to one of the makers I collect the most of and he was really happy that a 7 year old was so thrilled since that's how he felt when he was a kid and got a kaiju.

edit:

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a small turn table to showcase figures on?

Bumping my post in hopes it's seen. I'm looking to start some silly social media stuff with my toys and am still looking for one of these.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There are tons available on amazon- I bought one a few years ago that takes a couple AA batteries. I don't know if there's much difference between any of them quality wise. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=display+turntable&ref=nb_sb_noss

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Rhyno posted:

Bumping my post in hopes it's seen. I'm looking to start some silly social media stuff with my toys and am still looking for one of these.

I bought this small thing for my mom for a glass display she has and it worked great, don't see why it couldn't be used for figures as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RAH figure prices are crazy. I have Mikasa from AOT that was cheap so it may be a knockoff, but if it is it's a flawless one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also since I mentioned paint masks: modern and big production toys are all automated for most of their painting, but for sofubi the high-end detail work is often done with paint masks. These are made by electroplating a figure with copper then the masks are hand cut and welded to make the masks easily workable. Here's some photos of me painting some Lulus and the mask I use for the main color of her hat. It is my favorite mask due to how the gimmick works. Considering these are hand made they are little works of art themselves, and honestly the most expensive part of the process (Lulu's eyes take 5 masks by themselves)

I know some makers have gotten around this by making their own masks with wood and/or sculpting putties, and most kaiju makers just paint them all by hand since you can be more loose with them (the aforementioned Cojika Toy for example. My broken brain insists on doing the masks because of the precision.

Of course, when I paint kaiju I just kind of see where the colors take me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had looked at those, wasn't really sure of the quality.

Now for the photographers, my backdrop is dark Grey, should I go with a black turntable or white for contrast?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Consider getting both types. Also possibly one with a mirrored platform to show more detail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I'll grab the black one with the mirror for now, thanks!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

RAH figure prices are crazy. I have Mikasa from AOT that was cheap so it may be a knockoff, but if it is it's a flawless one.

They can be very reasonably priced when they first come out.

God help you if you find them later

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Ugh, Gatos, your post has me wanting to get into toy production. I'd love to make/paint vinyl toys, but I lack a workshop space and logistics, I think, might preclude me at the moment.

If you wouldn't mind, what sort of costs do you incur for molds, production and painting? Is it fairly pricey? I'd appreciate any info you could pass along.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Heads up if you were thinking of picking up the Mafex Mandalorian: the joints seem to be fragile (one guy who not only collects, but customizes figures himself) already broke the leg clean off. On top of that, his helmet is badly painted and his pistol is painted pink. No joke. I mean, I wouldn't mind a pink pistol but it's definitely not very accurate. The rifle is also just as finicky and stupid to use as the SHF.

Crazy to think there's yet to be a truly "definitive" 1:12 Mando yet.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ugh, Gatos, your post has me wanting to get into toy production. I'd love to make/paint vinyl toys, but I lack a workshop space and logistics, I think, might preclude me at the moment.

If you wouldn't mind, what sort of costs do you incur for molds, production and painting? Is it fairly pricey? I'd appreciate any info you could pass along.

That Anguiras I painted is a modern Bandai Sofubi- most of the stuff I paint is custom modern figures because they aren’t TOO expansive to get (I think he was $25). I use vinyl paints which are the difficult thing to get as they are all made in Japan. I use those because they bond to the vinyl and flex instead of crack, but there is a new company coming out with some very soon.

He paint masks for Lulu cost me a bit more than $3k, the sculpt, mold, and then multi-mold cost me around a bit more than that when combined.. then there is the cost of the figures themselves NDA and the shipping. It’s honestly cheaper to the resin figure route as all of that can be done in a garage.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for that - I wonder if you could (unless you are already) buy figures wholesale. 25$ a "mold" isn't bad, however factoring in all your other costs, what sort of profit do you look for in a sale? Apologies, I don't want to derail the thread, could take this to PM.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I swear Super7 did this on purpose

I have a vague interest in Samurai style characters. So their Bludgeon is a must have- but then I realized that he'd be perfect to pair against the Samurai Leo they have coming as well

So now I'm deeper in that hole. drat you S7, drat you samurai mutant turtle VS samurai skeleton transformer

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks for that - I wonder if you could (unless you are already) buy figures wholesale. 25$ a "mold" isn't bad, however factoring in all your other costs, what sort of profit do you look for in a sale? Apologies, I don't want to derail the thread, could take this to PM.

Lol profit?

Edit I think you misread. The mold for the figures are over $1k but it all depends on size complexity etc. I think you should check out Mile High Sofubi as they do USA production slush molding

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 30, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I need one of those cats. :lol:

How much?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I need one of those cats. :lol:

How much?

$60 for a standard Colorway- I have a few blank ones for people to paint as well on my CatMagicToys.com site. I have to paint some new Colorways, it’s been a while. I have some great purple ones I need to plan out

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How much for the cat? No not that one, the other one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lulu isn’t for sale but she appreciates the love. :)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

$60 for a standard Colorway- I have a few blank ones for people to paint as well on my CatMagicToys.com site. I have to paint some new Colorways, it’s been a while. I have some great purple ones I need to plan out

What kind of paint did you use on the big one? It looks so lifelike.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lol profit?

Edit I think you misread. The mold for the figures are over $1k but it all depends on size complexity etc. I think you should check out Mile High Sofubi as they do USA production slush molding

Hah, I definitely misread. Maybe a vanity project should I suddenly get rich, lol.

Thanks for the tip though!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nanigans posted:

Heads up if you were thinking of picking up the Mafex Mandalorian: the joints seem to be fragile (one guy who not only collects, but customizes figures himself) already broke the leg clean off. On top of that, his helmet is badly painted and his pistol is painted pink. No joke. I mean, I wouldn't mind a pink pistol but it's definitely not very accurate. The rifle is also just as finicky and stupid to use as the SHF.

Crazy to think there's yet to be a truly "definitive" 1:12 Mando yet.

"Every time a new Mafex is released, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

..and now I feel a lot better about passing it up. Goddamn, what a screw up.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Thanks for the heads up. Just canceled my Mandalorian order with AmiAmi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
After 4 years of working on it, and 30+ years of wanting one, I've just about completed my baby.

And the rest of the kit...

Super happy with it. Just waiting for my phone to ring. ;)