Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The AEW belt shouldn't be the first one Kenny loses, it should be the last one. I don't see that happening before All Out. The stakes for his entire gimmick just aren't high enough without that. Page could feasibly show up on an Impact PPV and cost Kenny the belt. He could even show up in AAA and make sure Andrade wins their match. Or even without Page showing up, Kenny just starts losing his belts independently and clings onto the AEW title even more desperately. Someone else takes the tag belts off the Bucks in the meantime too, so Kenny and the platinum are the only things left of the Elite's reign of terror.

And honestly, I can wait for that kind of build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

What a bitch-rear end company.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i know where aew's investments are

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

up My butt

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sticklefifer posted:

The AEW belt shouldn't be the first one Kenny loses, it should be the last one. I don't see that happening before All Out. The stakes for his entire gimmick just aren't high enough without that. Page could feasibly show up on an Impact PPV and cost Kenny the belt. He could even show up in AAA and make sure Andrade wins their match. Or even without Page showing up, Kenny just starts losing his belts independently and clings onto the AEW title even more desperately. Someone else takes the tag belts off the Bucks in the meantime too, so Kenny and the platinum are the only things left of the Elite's reign of terror.

This feels like a point where the story and the needs of AEW as a promotion pull in opposite directions. Would TK want his champion to lose twice in other promotions before dropping big plat? What does it say about Page if he can't beat Omega until two other people have done it already?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

sticklefifer posted:

I’d rather Hangman be the first to take one of Kenny’s belts than beat a guy on a losing streak, but it’d still be fun

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

The only problem with that is, how would it look if say, Sami Callahan could beat Kenny for a title, but Page couldn't?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if kenny loses in tna does it make a sound

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Send Gage to Stamford so he can carve up some loving weak rear end cop callers MDK

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kenny can lose to Hangman and then throw the other belts in the bin because who gives a poo poo about TNA honestly

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"Our only competition is sleep"

*has interns calling dominos complaint line non stop and tweeting @dominos"

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Ivypls posted:

this is so close to where i live i could be there within 30 minutes probably

let's do a goon meet

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Nah, hard disagree. Omega losing big plat to Page is going to be the thing that finally breaks Omega, getting him to start dropping belts left and right and going straight into a downward spiral. Without Kenny being the belt collector, Callis gets fed up and walks away, the Bucks and Good bros get disillusioned and split off, causing them both to lose their belts.

Then finally, one day, when Kenny is at his absolute lowest point, sitting in the middle of an AEW ring getting mercilessly beaten by Fuego...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X01B3F21m1E

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

You couldn't be more wrong lol

Wow so special! Hangman beat a guy that already got beat by a bunch of losers

So special

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, it's much better for Kenny to be destabilized by losing the AEW belt to justify a losing streak to drop the AAA/Impact belts

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

i for one applaud this effort to reunite everyone via one big harmonizing "ugh"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not to pile on too hard here cause everyone's already saying it but lmao at the idea of Tony Khan building up his unbeaten champ, never pinning him for over a year and then giving the rub of all that to *spins wheel* Josh Alexander.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

HidaO-Win posted:

Let's assume both Punk and Bryan are coming in.

Let's assume Punk debuts on the August 20th Rampage show in Chicago
We know AEW Double or Nothing is on September 5th in Chicago
Let's assume Bryan Danielson debuts on September 22 in Arthur Ashe in New York.

Those are two shows in huge venues, so having something huge happen at them seems likely.

With that in mind, given you are bringing in two of the biggest wrestling stars of the last 10 years, when RAW had a viewership in 4-5 million range, it is possible that some of those 2-3 million lapsed fans might check out this new promotion.

Given that, does it make sense to delay the coronation of your new babyface headliner in Hangman Adam Page and give these fresh viewers a chance to get to know him first, get behind him and then appreciate the significance of the title changing from him to Kenny?

I think this is a fair defense of pushing it off

Now just come up with a better All Out opponent than Christian (or a drat good angle for him)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

Not to pile on too hard here cause everyone's already saying it but lmao at the idea of Tony Khan building up his unbeaten champ, never pinning him for over a year and then giving the rub of all that to *spins wheel* Josh Alexander.

I could see an argument to having him drop the AAA title to Andrade, because he's another AEW guy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

rantmo posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1421186712525582341?s=20

Feel bad for Upper Deck, getting into business on AEW on the day the company died but I look forward to their Memento Mori line of cards anyway.

upper deck is still around????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

sticklefifer posted:

:fart:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
tony khan putting MDK deathmatch poo poo on TV like that, what a king
great ep
dark order/hangman entrance was great, can't wait to see him win the title
the match was amazing. thought for a split second Adam Page was gonna kick out of the OWA. i bit/
ending kinda killed the crowd for ages though but w/e
archer match was cool.
last match was insane and great. jericho is so good doing all this weird poo poo

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Beaten to it so I’ll just say MDK all day

kinetic77 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 31, 2021

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

Those are two shows in huge venues, so having something huge happen at them seems likely.

With that in mind, given you are bringing in two of the biggest wrestling stars of the last 10 years, when RAW had a viewership in 4-5 million range, it is possible that some of those 2-3 million lapsed fans might check out this new promotion.

Given that, does it make sense to delay the coronation of your new babyface headliner in Hangman Adam Page and give these fresh viewers a chance to get to know him first, get behind him and then appreciate the significance of the title changing from him to Kenny?

This is the best take i’ve seen and makes total sense

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm going to pretend this was my position the entire time instead of "I like Christian Cage and want him to main event a PPV."

Except, I do like Christian Cage and want him to main event a PPV.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Page has to beat Kenny for his first title loss. Kenny takes it so hard it starts a Domino effect where he loses the rest. A perfect circle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

kinetic77 posted:

Page has to beat Kenny for his first title loss. Kenny takes it so hard it starts a Domino effect where he loses the rest. A perfect circle.

It's really gonna slice up his confidence to lose to Page.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Seams posted:

the hangman angle is tearing this forum apart

he wore the jacket, that was all i wanted

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Kenny should save the TNA belts for last but instead of losing them he should forfeit them

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Imagine if AEW won an Emmy for the Kenny v Hangman story.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol i was joking with my friend earlier that vince was the one behind this

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1421272773750575105?s=20

Get em Bix

e: lol

https://twitter.com/WWERomanReigns/status/1421252045542199296?s=20

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kinetic77 posted:

kenny quits wrestling to open a dominoes franchise after losing to page

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oh roman...

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the elimination match loss is a good gut check for the fans. after that either you’re 100% in on Hangman being the guy or you’re a bad person. those are the only two options

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

I'm going to pretend this was my position the entire time instead of "I like Christian Cage and want him to main event a PPV."

Except, I do like Christian Cage and want him to main event a PPV.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Death of AEW, Chapter 7: The First Domino to Fall.

“Chris Jericho bled that night as swiftly as AEW bled fans, jobbing Hangman in the opener, and it was only downhill from there. The main event, which saw now governor of New Jersey Nick Gage carve Jericho with a pizza cutter, while Dominos did the same to a meat lover’s in (restaurant quality) picture-in-picture, had the Dominos board room in a state of chaos, their CEO the Noid was quoted as saying:

“I’m all hosed up over this poo poo. I really need some Dominos pizza right now, please give me a slice i’ll do anything to even lick the little table in the center of the pizza, please man, c’mon can i smell the box for a second…”

But even worse fortune was on the horizon Adam Page was set to ride off towards, when in his final match for AEW he did the job for the debuting CM Punk, he failed to answer the referee’s ten count after a spin kick that missed by a mile, Phil Brooks was a jobber to the jobbers of UFC, but now with a true money mark believing he could be AEW’s Lesnar, Phil Brooks was at last the dominant main eventer closing the show, and eventually, the entire company.”
-RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez, 2022 F4W Press

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That's a good take on why you would slow down Page's coronation, a few posts back.

I still think it's all a big work - use the loss to gauge how hot the crowd is, and set up what looks like a match between Kenny/Christian. Instead of skulking and drinking, DO gives a pep talk, and Page goes on a tear. Two weeks before All Out have Page challenge Christian. One week before, have Page win and get the match against Kenny.

Yes, I am fantasy booking because Page is awesome and AEW has me emotionally invested.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

xbilkis posted:

I think this is a fair defense of pushing it off

Now just come up with a better All Out opponent than Christian (or a drat good angle for him)

I think if Christian is top of the rankings, you could lean into him being a wily vet with a lot of connections. Call in some old favours at Impact to get the Good Brothers defending the Impact championship at All Out against Jurassic Express, coach the Varsity Blondes on the Young Bucks playbook for their match at All Out, meet-up with Kazarian and get him to take out Cutler and Nakazawa on the go home show, then have someone to neutralise Callis at ringside, Dreamer maybe.
Cuts a big promo on Kenny that he’s neutralised all his outs and it’ll be just them at the PPV. Then he loses at the PPV, but you can have Hangman utilise the same strategy going forward, using the Dark Order to neutralise the Elite squad so it’s just him and Kenny at the end.

Or just put Orange Cassidy vs Kenny, people will enjoy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Eat My Fuc posted:

The Death of AEW, Chapter 7: The First Domino to Fall.

“Chris Jericho bled that night as swiftly as AEW bled fans, jobbing Hangman in the opener, and it was only downhill from there. The main event, which saw now governor of New Jersey Nick Gage carve Jericho with a pizza cutter, while Dominos did the same to a meat lover’s in (restaurant quality) picture-in-picture, had the Dominos board room in a state of chaos, their CEO the Noid was quoted as saying:

“I’m all hosed up over this poo poo. I really need some Dominos pizza right now, please give me a slice i’ll do anything to even lick the little table in the center of the pizza, please man, c’mon can i smell the box for a second…”

But even worse fortune was on the horizon Adam Page was set to ride off towards, when in his final match for AEW he did the job for the debuting CM Punk, he failed to answer the referee’s ten count after a spin kick that missed by a mile, Phil Brooks was a jobber to the jobbers of UFC, but now with a true money mark believing he could be AEW’s Lesnar, Phil Brooks was at last the dominant main eventer closing the show, and eventually, the entire company.”
-RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez, 2022 F4W Press

can I borrow your time machine?