Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Weembles posted:

Sounds more like a problem with your holder than the spindle. I'm well into middle age and I've never had one wear out on me.

My parents have had the same one for at least 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I have a hook type of holder. Never trust springs...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chintu posted:

The nurse was a TOILET PAPER HOLDER, with a 'HOOK'!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hooks are the correct type of toilet paper holder unless you live on a boat or get regular leg spasming blumpkins and need to worry about the toilet paper falling off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The dispenser at work has no roll at all and it's the worst loving system

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Weembles posted:

Sounds more like a problem with your holder than the spindle. I'm well into middle age and I've never had one wear out on me.

Nobody else seems to be having problems, so I guess that I lucked out and have had hosed up holders across several apartments.

Len posted:

The dispenser at work has no roll at all and it's the worst loving system

Had the exact same one at the last place I worked, but they also mounted it about a foot off the ground and far enough away that it couldn't be reached while on the toilet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It was today, at age 37, that I finally looked closely at a 'Littering Is Illegal' road sign and realized that the can isn't a face with a big, evil, toothy grin. Maybe I read too much Calvin and Hobbes as a kid.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It was today, at age 37, that I finally looked closely at a 'Littering Is Illegal' road sign and realized that the can isn't a face with a big, evil, toothy grin. Maybe I read too much Calvin and Hobbes as a kid.

Can you outline the face please

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That saying "union-buster" hurts peoples feelings

https://projectionsinc.com/unionproof/union-buster-stop-using/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Len posted:

To be fair, the article only seems to indicate that it hurts the feelings of union busters.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Len posted:

Oh?...

quote:

Union-buster is a divisive term, once meant to rally workers but now used to accuse employers who are often operating with the best interests of their employees in mind. It conjures up images of strike-breaking and suggests that those who champion a union-free operating environment are “bad guys” who will do anything to keep employees down, including violence or other illegal activities.  It implies a divide-and-conquer mindset, where union-free businesses and labor organizations are just out to destroy each other. But in a global economy, where companies seek out the best talent to help the business succeed, that kind of divisiveness has no place and will not help anyone succeed

...good! gently caress them to death. :ussr:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pik_d posted:

To be fair, the article only seems to indicate that it hurts the feelings of union busters.

Well yeah but I kind of just assumed union busters know what they are and owned it. I could respect them being the bad guy if they at least admitted it

Instead they want to pretend that they aren't villains and that's just poor form

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

pik_d posted:

Can you outline the face please

Sure (pardon my really quick MS Paint work):

e: I still think it looks a bit like an evil Pixar character or something, but I think the "mouth" was intended to be the label on the side of the can.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jul 30, 2021

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Yeah, if there were one of those signs in my neighbourhood, I would've drawn a body under that can with a black marker by now. Probably using the double L for feet.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

pik_d posted:

Same with TERF, Racist and Landlord in cases where it is used in a derogatory way.

Seen "Moneyed is othering" also.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd be happy to call them "scabs" instead if that's what they want.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd be happy to call them "scabs" instead if that's what they want.

You'd be wrong, scab means something completely different.

Scabs, while contemptible, are better because at least they perform labour rather than extracting value from others.

If union busters don't want to be called union busters, the next most correct term is 'parasites'.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ah, this is more the people who prevent the unions from forming and dissolve the early stages of organizing. I misunderstood and figured they wanted to bust unions by crossing the picket line and replacing unionized workers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Today I learned something that's made the world a little less funny.

Apparently, the correct way to refer to Wikipedia is "the Wikipedia". As in, "I read it in the Wikipedia." I am sorry.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Philippe posted:

Today I learned something that's made the world a little less funny.

Apparently, the correct way to refer to Wikipedia is "the Wikipedia". As in, "I read it in the Wikipedia." I am sorry.
I'm not sure why you would think this. Wikipedia is a singular proper noun so it doesn't take a "the" unlike dictionaries and encyclopedias which are common nouns.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

You also do not play with legos, you play with the LEGO (c) building bricks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tradespeak good, i have iphone, it i use for it calls me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but actuallly we do say legoklodser [lego bricks] in danish, saying legoer [legos] feels awkward. duploer is ok i guess. playmobil is uncountable. idk if thats indoctrination, im just going with what my pa taught me

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jul 30, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't care if you call em Legos or Lego bricks, but you better not even imply I'm playing with them :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lego is the plural

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

I'm not sure why you would think this. Wikipedia is a singular proper noun so it doesn't take a "the" unlike dictionaries and encyclopedias which are common nouns.

You sure as hell don't look up things in the Encyclopedia Britannica?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gaius Marius posted:

Lego is the plural

lego your mom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You sure as hell don't look up things in the Encyclopedia Britannica?

i look things up in your momopedia

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

but actuallly we do say legoklodser [lego bricks] in danish, saying legoer [legos] feels awkward. duploer is ok i guess. playmobil is uncountable. idk if thats indoctrination, im just going with what my pa taught me

Are all the interlocking toy bricks Danish? Because that would be a strange but cool national oliogopoly to have.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The Wind in the Willows and Frog and Toad are Friends are not actually by the same guy!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

gleebster posted:

Are all the interlocking toy bricks Danish? Because that would be a strange but cool national oliogopoly to have.

Duplo is just big Lego, made by Lego. Playmobil is german.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Billie Eilish's song "Therefore I Am" is a diss track on Taylor Swift

If anybody besides me cares about this I will elaborate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elon Musk is going to date Billie Eilish.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gleebster posted:

duplo is made by lego, its just bigger versions for smaller kids

i think playmobil is german?

e: ah well at least i was more conversational in tone

Amoeba102 posted:

Duplo is just big Lego, made by Lego. Playmobil is german.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

go for it bird

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There used to be Bigger Duplos. Can't remember what they were called but they looked ridiculous.

e: Duplo Primo, apparently. And of course toys for literal babies are allowed to look ridiculous.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Jul 31, 2021

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Seconding

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There used to be Bigger Duplos. Can't remember what they were called but they looked ridiculous.

e: Duplo Primo, apparently. And of course toys for literal babies are allowed to look ridiculous.

The actual bigger Duplo are Quatro. And they all hook together.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd never thought of it before. But one glance at the lyrics and it seems obvious