Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Imagine leaking major parts of the plot in a bot beta test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
took a bit to get the hang of the heatwave shotgun thing. It's like the scattershot from 4 with the bounce, but it's aligned either horizontally or vertically (swaps like the plasma cutter from dead space). you sort of swap based on if you think you can hit them with all the vertical bolts, or if it's better to hit with some of the horizontal bolts. I like it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ODST bots and a new map are live, they're pretty good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1421248595144151040?s=20

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Thom12255 posted:

Imagine leaking major parts of the plot in a bot beta test.

yea, imagi-

https://twitter.com/joestaten/status/1421244109193285636?s=19

dutifully googled "halo leaks" to find out and the only thing i can find is people complaining about other people posting leaks, dang it internet

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 31, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It looks very disappointing so calibrate your Story And Lore Expectations accordingly.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

had a weird sound issue where all the gunshots were minimal volume, so it was just a very sort of awkward "oof, uh OH" grunts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

It looks very disappointing so calibrate your Story And Lore Expectations accordingly.

Is Craig there

That's all that matters

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I can skip cutscenes. As long as we get a level with the tank, a few warthog sections, some flying in a vehicle we'll never use again, and then doing those same levels backwards at night I'm good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hasn't the campaign been shown to be more like Farcry? Will it even have levels?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I just realized the gundam skin references Zeta Gundam specifically because the game takes place on Zeta Halo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shiroc posted:

Hasn't the campaign been shown to be more like Farcry? Will it even have levels?

We really don't know for sure, they never showed us very much, and after the bad response it feels like they went back to the drawing board on a lot of things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol that the ODST ai improvement is just "grenade throws guaranteed to hit" and "can magdump pistol with perfect aim"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol that the ODST ai improvement is just "grenade throws guaranteed to hit" and "can magdump pistol with perfect aim"

Making the more difficult AI play like a better player seems completely reasonable?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I only wish I could throw grenades with 10% accuracy, much less 100

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Skewer needs to pin people to the wall like in FEAR

General Battuta posted:

Making the more difficult AI play like a better player seems completely reasonable?

I'm not sure it's physically possible for me to pull the trigger that fast, and those two things seem to be the only real difference in "skill"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TimGettys/status/1421252623747870720?s=20

Its funny, but this is actually optimal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bring on the spartan bots pls

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

This is one of those games where controller just feels better. Absolutely gonna be maining this on console.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should turn on a ctf mode or something, I want to see how the bits handle objectives

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the bots ALWAYS travel as a pack through the one path on the outdoor map at the start of the match

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Roman posted:

This is one of those games where controller just feels better. Absolutely gonna be maining this on console.

You can use controller on PC, which is what I am going to do. I prefer PS4/PS5 controllers so that's the way for me.
The matchmaking is done by control input, and not platform - so get whichever platform suits you the most.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mazerunner posted:

the bots ALWAYS travel as a pack through the one path on the outdoor map at the start of the match

They also don't know how to clamber and flock to the overshield they can't reach lol

Outside of their accuracy they're not very good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay I peeked at some of the spoilers and mostly I don't care about the story but the name of one location is apparently the 'Silent Auditorium' which sounds like the dumbest knockoff of Silent Cartographer imaginable. Couldn't even use a synonym for silent?

Looking through all of this, (not sure what is fake, or if this is the full story or just some elements) there's some things I like here and some things I don't like.

POSSIBLY BS POSSIBLY HUGE SPOILERS:
It sounds like you spend the majority of the game running around Zeta Halo finding scattered UNSC Marines or Spartans (or recovering the bodies of dead Spartans) and helping them out, which does give the impression of a big open world game with lots of side content that is optional. There are also a lot of named enemies, Brutes or even Grunts who have backstory, which actually sounds cool? Like "This grunt is named so-and-so and he fought in such and such war and was known for being really good with plasma rifles" stuff like that.

There's a new alien species introduced who has been imprisoned on Zeta Halo by the Forerunners. They are trying to rebuild Zeta Halo and also escape by allying with the Banished Brutes. You obviously have to stop them.

Also it ends up Cortana is stored inside Zeta Halo and if you can get her back maybe she'll be back to normal and not crazy. (basically trying to retcon 4 and 5 and bring Cortana back to the status quo)

There's some big setpiece battles, overall it gives me a very Halo 1 feel, which is kinda the direction that I wanted them to take the series in.

That said, this all feels extremely Star Wars Force Awakens, just kinda... retreading ground without really changing anything or introducing anything too crazy. Another halo ring, whoo? We'll see how it actually all plays out, the devil's in the details. Sounds a lot less stupid than the story of 4 or 5 though, I'll give them that.

Spoiler-free TLDR: It sounds less stupid on paper than 4 or 5, but doesn't seem to take many risks. We'll have to see how the actual details play out.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 31, 2021

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Not taking a whole lot of risks and sticking with a known formula sounds like a good idea if Halo 5 was as much of a shitshow as everyone says it was.

(disclaimer: never played Halo 5)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
here's a brief clip I made of the tech preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPbEfUW5jU

apologies for the lovely sound I have literally never used this feature on my computer before also I am bad at games

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Hey, everyone.
I don't log on these forums much, but I found the Halo thread! Maybe I'll post Halo news and updates here more often.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Paging the goon that works on Forge for Halo Infinite at 343. I wish I remembered what his forums name was, but I DMed him this thread!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
PAGING LORD ZEDD, RENOWNED HALO MODDER
COME IN

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Paging the goon that works on Forge for Halo Infinite at 343. I wish I remembered what his forums name was, but I DMed him this thread!

Haha it’s me. I’m actually the multiplayer all up producer on halo infinite. I haven’t been on SA in literally forever but I hope you are all enjoying the technical preview.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm definitely enjoying it.

Side note: if someone wants to make a new halo thread that isn't insanely out of date go for it

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

duros posted:

Haha it’s me. I’m actually the multiplayer all up producer on halo infinite. I haven’t been on SA in literally forever but I hope you are all enjoying the technical preview.

Thanks for making the first good Halo game since whenever Reach came out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

duros posted:

:thumbsup:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Great Beer posted:

Thanks for making the first good Halo game since whenever Reach came out.

Your brother is weird, and I hope he's doing better and staying out of trouble.

Also, Halo MCC is a fantastic game now that it's functional.

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 1, 2021

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I'm really enjoying Infinite. As long as they get the performance and bugs worked out I think it's going to be real good. I wish there was a way to give feedback right in the client though. Googling around a bit shows me no easy way to bug report.

Rebinding my PTT button crashes the game, lots of settings not saving. Quiet audio for everything but chatter and pain grunts so I'm running around only really hearing "uh! AHH, erg!"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spartan bots tbh seemed worse than ODST bots? am I crazy?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

eonwe posted:

They said the ODST bots would be tougher because they're ramping up bot difficulty over the test flight.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

eonwe posted:

Spartan bots seem better at grenades so far.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

They said the ODST bots would be tougher because they're ramping up bot difficulty over the test flight.

ah okay, so they're tuning the bots and they'll get harder got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm getting some real Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided vibes from the new songs on the soundtrack.