Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

MS Paint with Visual Basic spreadsheets

EXCUSE ME, Aurora 4X is now C# spreadsheets tyvm :colbert:

Sorta related, you can build battlestar type ships in Aurora but specialized ships are usually better for minmaxing, if not nearly as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I tried highfleet and realized this interface and such was really not going to be good for my 59" tv and refunded it. It's got a fixed resolution- i understand why, with all the weird UI doodads, but with that and no scaling, it's practically unplayable for me. I'll watch some streams though.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Main issue with deadlock is all the cool stuff you *could* do is incredibly time intensive and off marginal benefit compared to:

Stacking all your ships vertically and moving as slow as your slowest ship to keep it together and clicking on the most threatening ship.

Then you're fighting like 3 engagements per strategic turn so good luck getting through the campaign.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 28, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

On an unrelated note it's crazy you can take a drawback in the campaign that doesn't let you purchase additional artillery

You can still bring in arty units from earlier campaign chapters in the grand campaign. And/or use captured stuff. Now what's fun (even though you'll miss out on the air-only scenarios) is Denied Airforce. Really makes you treasure AA units a hell of a lot more than you'd be used to.

It's not the worst drawback, mind you. Poor ground control (aka no ZOC for your units) is hilariously terrible.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 29, 2021

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Magni posted:

You can still bring in arty units from earlier campaign chapters in the grand campaign. And/or use captured stuff. Now what's fun (even though you'll miss out on the air-only scenarios) is Denied Airforce. Really makes you treasure AA units a hell of a lot more than you'd be used to.

It's not the worst drawback, mind you. Poor ground control (aka no ZOC for your units) is hilariously terrible.

Denied artillery I think is more damaging than denied air force but yes, you have to keep a solid AA umbrella up if you're going that way. Without artillery, there's no efficient way to un-entrench enemy units which can be important if you're surrounding and trying to force surrenders(which you want to do even just for the extra prestige).

no zoc and -core are up there in painfulness

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dah, I went to reinstall Moscow '42 Gold and found out John Tiller died back in April of brain cancer.

:(

https://georgiacremation.com/obituary/john-albert-tiller/

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Is there any co-op mode in this new Battlesector game you all are raving about?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Is there any co-op mode in this new Battlesector game you all are raving about?

No, single player campaign and head to head.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Philthy posted:

No, single player campaign and head to head.

eh, that's too bad. thanks for the info!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Man, some of these design decisions in Ultimate Admiral are making me scratch my head. You start with a huge amount of money to spend once you start the tutorial, and a bewildering number of things you can spend it on - ships, weapons, technologies, men, officers and so on. But none of the larger ships you can buy can equip any of the guns you have available to buy at the start of the game. So you've technically got the ability to buy and sail sixth and fifth rate ships, but you can't arm them, so it's entirely pointless to give you the option to be able to buy them at the start of the game.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Gort posted:

Man, some of these design decisions in Ultimate Admiral are making me scratch my head. You start with a huge amount of money to spend once you start the tutorial, and a bewildering number of things you can spend it on - ships, weapons, technologies, men, officers and so on. But none of the larger ships you can buy can equip any of the guns you have available to buy at the start of the game. So you've technically got the ability to buy and sail sixth and fifth rate ships, but you can't arm them, so it's entirely pointless to give you the option to be able to buy them at the start of the game.

Put 6 pounders on the top deck, fill it full of men with bayonets then board everything

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Abongination posted:

Put 6 pounders on the top deck, fill it full of men with bayonets then board everything

Arr, blood for ye olde blood godde

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neophyte posted:

EXCUSE ME, Aurora 4X is now C# spreadsheets tyvm :colbert:

Sorta related, you can build battlestar type ships in Aurora but specialized ships are usually better for minmaxing, if not nearly as fun.

Recently, I've tried my hand at Aurora again. After an entire day of trying, I had two custom systems with custom non-player empires ready. Also, I'm slowly turning Sol into an alien system, since last time I tried to set up an alien start Aurora really didn't like me making Sol-Humans a non-player empire and started constantly crashing. :v:

The only problem left before I can eventually start playing is Aurora getting confused about its ","s and "."s. For some reason Aurora wants to use a point for decimals, but replaces it with a comma when the interface updates, leading to poo poo like a species suddenly having 10000 production speed instead of 100, just because I clicked "save species" twice. This drives me nuts. How can you even program a game in 2021 and gently caress this up so badly??? :psyduck:

I could understand if Aurora just used one or both number systems consistently, but this is just dumb

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That's Definitely something I saw a warning about once, it's to do with UK/EU/US language settings in windows handling numbers differently. You can fix it by forcing windows to not use the comma or something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

That's Definitely something I saw a warning about once, it's to do with UK/EU/US language settings in windows handling numbers differently. You can fix it by forcing windows to not use the comma or something.

Now that's a new solution! Years back with old Aurora, the go-to solution was always something like "Switch your OS to UK/US from your filthy third-world country, you knave" and then switching back after you closed down Aurora, which always felt pretty clunky.

Where exactly can I find the setting in Win10 to make it not change all my points back into commas? (I'm graciously assuming here that's what is happening, instead of possibility two: That's something in Aurora itself doing the switching, in some kind of crazed attempt at a work-around to the OS-issue by the developer)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Libluini posted:

Now that's a new solution! Years back with old Aurora, the go-to solution was always something like "Switch your OS to UK/US from your filthy third-world country, you knave" and then switching back after you closed down Aurora, which always felt pretty clunky.

Where exactly can I find the setting in Win10 to make it not change all my points back into commas? (I'm graciously assuming here that's what is happening, instead of possibility two: That's something in Aurora itself doing the switching, in some kind of crazed attempt at a work-around to the OS-issue by the developer)

It should be in the same dialog where you switch the country settings, "Region" or something like that.

fe: apparently they renamed the page, either way, also it's in the control panel

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Speaking of RtW2, how's that doin these days? Last i remember goons were souring on the dev over mod drama but it's sounding kind of good right now...

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Speaking of RtW2, how's that doin these days? Last i remember goons were souring on the dev over mod drama but it's sounding kind of good right now...

Not much has changed. All development effort is now focused on the upcoming DLC that'll extend the tech timeline into the 50s (and some other things like assignable admirals and their associated politic). If you hate the core new features in RtW2 (aircraft) then it's pretty much still the same game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I started over on pc2 because I felt I was taking too many losses in the french missions and god I regret not retaking Aggressive Deployment. Definitely one of the better perks.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Fuligin posted:

It has also got the problem of Waves of Steel outshining it in the design and combat aspects. So it only really has the strategic layer to excel in.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SerthVarnee posted:

It has also got the problem of Waves of Steel outshining it in the design and combat aspects. So it only really has the strategic layer to excel in.

I just got Waves of Steel and they really aren't alike other than that you design ships and make them fight. Waves is 10000 times more arcade-y, full speed ahead and hold down the fire button. I don't think you can load a destroyer up with a bunch of 8" turrets then win a ramming fight with BB Dreadnought in Rule the Waves. It's fun, but waaaaay different.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 1, 2021

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

If rtw2 goes back to 1890 we absolutely need a ram bow option

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

It should be in the same dialog where you switch the country settings, "Region" or something like that.

fe: apparently they renamed the page, either way, also it's in the control panel

Oh yeah thanks, I found the settings. This is definitely easier then changing my entire OS back and forth!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

gohuskies posted:

I just got Waves of Steel and they really aren't alike other than that you design ships and make them fight. Waves is 10000 times more arcade-y, full speed ahead and hold down the fire button. I don't think you can load a destroyer up with a bunch of 8" turrets then win a ramming fight with BB Dreadnought in Rule the Waves. It's fun, but waaaaay different.

Fair point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Waves of Steel, by the dev's own words, was designed to be "dynasty warriors with boats", so it wasn't supposed to be a realistic sim in the first place. :v:

It is goon-made though, so it has that advantage too.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zaodai posted:

Waves of Steel, by the dev's own words, was designed to be "dynasty warriors with boats", so it wasn't supposed to be a realistic sim in the first place. :v:

It is goon-made though, so it has that advantage too.

Oh totally, and it is great for what it is. Here's an Iowa with 244 5" guns on it:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gohuskies posted:

Oh totally, and it is great for what it is. Here's an Iowa with 244 5" guns on it:

Are those guns shooting through the turrets in front of them?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Brings a new meaning to turret farm.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

ZombieLenin posted:

Are those guns shooting through the turrets in front of them?

Yeah the collision engine only cares about two turrets actually bonking into each other as they traverse. Once the shell has left the cannon the faction that launches the shell is ignored completely by the shell's travel calculation. Also goes for torpedoes and depth charges. This does sometime lead to hilarity when an enemy ship is screening another that is launching torpedoes at you. First warning you get is when the torpedoes put out of the side of the enemy screening ship.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Abongination posted:

You can't put any guns on it because the game requires that these sailing ships either have a full complement of guns all of a uniform calibre or nothing at all, and there aren't enough six-pounders in Great Britain to equip a single fifth-rate corvette, apparently.

so why did you let me buy the ship in the first place

no there isn't a "sell back" option, hope you saved before you blew your entire budget on it

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 4, 2021

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So this is a game where I can finally make the IJN Zipang

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Order of Battle is getting a new Allied campaign

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1688120/Order_of_Battle_Allies_Resurgent/

We're going to sweep the axis from North Africa (including a scenario against Vichy France) and then Italy.

I can't believe how last year I've decided to try out a "free-to-play" game and now it became one of my favorite games ever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how the gently caress does zone of control work in pc2

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Haven't played for a while, but iirc ZoC is just the 6 hexes around a unit. You lose all movement point when you move within 1 hex of an enemy unit. There's a perk that allows your unit to ignore enemy ZoC if they are moving through a friendly unit. ZoC don't cross river, I think.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Hey, first of all thanks for all the reading suggestions guys. You were more helpful than the military history thread was if I am being honest.

Grog game related, has anyone spent some time playing Grand Tactician: Civil War (1861 - 1865)? I’m considering buying it, but $40 for an early access game is a bit pricey and I am wondering if I should just hold off.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

All units project ZOC into the hexes next to them. Entering enemy ZOC ends a units' move, and units cannot draw supply lines through enemy ZOC, and count as encircled if they cannot draw a supply line to either a friendly supply hex, harbour hex or the map border. (Note that supply lines also cannot be drawn through major river hexes without a bridge, nor through dense forest, high mountain or lake/sea hexes.) That's it.

Two less obvious tips about it:
- Recon basically ignore the movement rrestriction of ZOC because they can move step by step.
- The Perimeter Control general trait nullifies enemy ZOC in hexes occupied by your units. This means for example that you can put a friendly unit next to one that has enemies on both sides of it and it will no longer count as encircled. Or that you can daisy chain units to slingshot right through hexes covered by enemy ZOC. It's lowkey a really fun trait for creating small encirclements all over the place and snaking through enemy defensive lines.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 5, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Christ, I went looking for grog forums and various gaming message threads and they are all twitter shitpost fests. Dear god don't ever venture... out there.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Hey, first of all thanks for all the reading suggestions guys. You were more helpful than the military history thread was if I am being honest.

Grog game related, has anyone spent some time playing Grand Tactician: Civil War (1861 - 1865)? I’m considering buying it, but $40 for an early access game is a bit pricey and I am wondering if I should just hold off.

I’ve just picked it up and am really enjoying it. It certainly still has the early access roughness (despite supposedly being close to release) but if you can get past that there is a great game there.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
So, which of Order of Battle's DLCs are the most worthwhile? The ones I already own can count too, as I don't really remember much of them and can replay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Banemaster posted:

So, which of Order of Battle's DLCs are the most worthwhile? The ones I already own can count too, as I don't really remember much of them and can replay them.

Dont buy Kriegsmarine it genuinely sucks.

Bear in mind that you can carry forward your core forces in a bunch of campaigns. Morning sun -> Rising Sun, Red Star > Steel > Storm, Blitzkrieg > Panzerkrieg > Endsieg, Allied Defiant > Resurgent > ????, this may influence whether you want to buy. I wouldnt worry too much about it, the biggest thing is you get to keep your commander attachments but you still have to rebuy stuff, just get a few experienced units.

Allies Defiant and Burma road are both excellent, but AD is probably the hardest campaign they have made which may be your thing. Burma road is much more small army size jungle warfare. Winter war is also very good but hard in a different way to the others because you are fighting with very bad equipment.

US Marines is great if you dont want to interact with the naval game that much (some people like it, some people dont, i do quite like the naval game). How you feel about that will influence how you get on with US Pacific and Rising Sun, the naval levels are basically kinda puzzles that you work out far more than the other ones are. I like them both and you own them both so id say give em another play.

If you want to buy one german one, buy Sandstorm its the best of the 5 German campaigns. The german campaign into Russia in Blitzkrieg and Panzerkrieg gets a bit... old for me, because its like any Barbarossa game in that its penetrate surround and reduce repeated ad nauseam on a load of different maps in roughly the same terrain that dont really stand out to me visually. Endsieg is probably the best of those 3. You can go direct from sandstorm to endsieg with your core forces as well as going from Blitz-Panzer-Endsieg with core forces. Honestly id reccomend going Sandstorm and Endsieg if you want to see the german stuff.

Red Star has a lot of the winter war, kharkin gol and beating up poland so its like Morning Sun in that you are titting about with early tech tree units, it can get slightly irritating on that front (finnish biplanes especially are absolute pricks because your fighters blow). Red Steel has a lot of defensive missions that again some people like and some people dont but it also has some really cool ones like the crimean missions. Red Storm is however pretty great if you like *big* missions because you have the full soviet army and lots and lots and lots of everything to play with.

So if you had to buy say 3 you dont own i would suggest the following in this order.

1: Allies Defiant, 2: Burma Road 3: Sandstorm.

Play the ones you have to get an idea of what you like or dont, if you find the end of the US campaign difficult/boring to keep track of in terms of unit quantities id suggest skipping the soviet ones because they have a lot more units. If you dont like Morning sun or Winter war id probably suggest skipping Red Star and just going in at Steel for the soviet ones. If you dont like US pacific because of the naval component you probably wont enjoy Rising Sun (and vis versa). If you dont like US Marines then you may well not like Burma road because they are both jungle fighting based.

I think that all the DLC's except Kriegsmarine are fun in their own way, so dont take this as me saying that they are bad, just trying to give you some to prioritise if you dont want to buy the lot (and there is a lot).

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 6, 2021