Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Taking lessons straight up works, y’all! My wife got me a couple more as an anniversary gift, can’t wait to get those booked and done. Basically haven’t touched my road bike since I picked up a mountain bike this year, having heaps of fun. This is from one of the routes I can squeeze in before work in the morning (did the lesson last weekend):

Nice. That's a pretty big change. What did you learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

dema posted:

Nice. That's a pretty big change. What did you learn?

A few takeaways:
- My knees were sort of pointed inwards and close together, impeding my ability to get the bike properly leaned over.
- If you’re worried on loose steep stuff just lock the rear wheel and sort of surf it. Not great for the trails I’m sure but it makes it a lot more predictable. He told me to just embrace the loose.
- related to point one, since I wasn’t leaning the bike over enough I had to go way slower in corners and was holding my front brake too far into them, which was the source of a couple falls I’ve had.

A lot of it was just having someone to stop and break down features with so I could pick better lines, and to push me more outside my comfort zone.

I also took a look at my suspension setup, when I picked up my bike from the shop they had set the fork rebound as fast as possible. Backed it way off and that’s helped my control on rough stuff a ton.

I still need to work on the finer points of cornering, I think I’m braking a bit too deep but mostly on the back brake now. Dropping my outside foot more consistently as well when I can.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Very good!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did you do it 1 on 1 out with a group? I've done group ones but might try a solo one next to really hone in on why I'm so bad at this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I also took a look at my suspension setup, when I picked up my bike from the shop they had set the fork rebound as fast as possible. Backed it way off and that’s helped my control on rough stuff a ton.

This reminds me of a great trick to get your rebound dialed *on your rear suspension* very quickly - I think I saw this on PB or something years ago. Get on your bike and, sitting, ride off a street curb or something similar like that. You want the rear end to return back up to normal ride height as quick as possible without you starting to bounce back down again. If you have 'follow-up bounces' keep slowing your rebound until the point where you don't anymore.

I've used this every time I set up a new FS bike and it's been basically perfect, haven't adjusted it afterwards once doing this.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It was just myself and one of my riding buddies. Panorama has 2.5 hour private lessons for $90, some of the best biking money I’ve spent.

I’ll try the rear suspension tip as well, thank you!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VelociBacon posted:

Get on your bike and, sitting, ride off a street curb or something similar like that. You want the rear end to return back up to normal ride height as quick as possible without you starting to bounce back down again. If you have 'follow-up bounces' keep slowing your rebound until the point where you don't anymore.

Interesting, that's tuning it for the suspension system's critical damping, for your weight.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting, that's tuning it for the suspension system's critical damping, for your weight.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the real nitty gritty details when it comes to rear suspension tuning (in terms of kinematics, anti-squat, all that stuff) but this has certainly made my bikes feel pretty dialed to me. Do you think I'm missing out on something by using that technique?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

This reminds me of a great trick to get your rebound dialed *on your rear suspension* very quickly - I think I saw this on PB or something years ago. Get on your bike and, sitting, ride off a street curb or something similar like that. You want the rear end to return back up to normal ride height as quick as possible without you starting to bounce back down again. If you have 'follow-up bounces' keep slowing your rebound until the point where you don't anymore.

I've used this every time I set up a new FS bike and it's been basically perfect, haven't adjusted it afterwards once doing this.

I think that's what Seb recommends in this setup vid I've used in the past as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

funkymonks posted:

You could try a wolf tooth b-rad rail to move the top cage up higher. Then you might be able to get a side load cage with a small bottle in.

Nice I didn't know this part existed. Thanks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the real nitty gritty details when it comes to rear suspension tuning (in terms of kinematics, anti-squat, all that stuff) but this has certainly made my bikes feel pretty dialed to me. Do you think I'm missing out on something by using that technique?

No, I was expressing positive surprise that using the simple definition of a 2nd order system works that well for setup.
We can model suspension as a weight being acted on by a spring, which generates its force based on displacement, and a damper, which generates its force based on velocity.
Notably, the spring pushes in one direction and the damper resists in both directions.

How the system behaves depends on the frequency and amplitude of inputs -- is it a tall rock, is it a very sharp feature or is it more mounded.
Underdamped is when the damper doesn't work enough, and you experience those followup bounces. Same as when a car's shocks are gone and you can push down once on the corner of a car and get it bouncing.
Overdamped is when the damper works too hard, preventing you from traveling far enough into the suspension, making everything harsh.
Critical damping is the middle point, where damping is just enough that you get brought to the maximum travel possible for the given input.

Rolling off a curb models a max possible droop speed you'd typically see (outside of being clipped in and pulling really hard at the same time you jump).
Landing back on the ground is the part that surprises me the most. The speed it happens at is a function of curb height, so you're dialing in the suspension for terrain that is somewhat correlated to the height of the curb you're jumping off of. Not saying it's a simple as you expect to see rocks that're x% height of the curb or anything.

Of course, real suspension systems are way more complex than that basic model:
- steel springs usually have a exact proportional force to displacement, whereas air springs are naturally progressive
- the shape of the suspension can further introduce varying motion ratios (affecting both spring force and damping rate)
- there can be low speed / high speed subsystems that operate at certain speeds or displacements

My response was that, ignoring all possible complexity, that treating your suspension like the basic model and shooting for critical damping gets you that close to dialed in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Speaking of complex suspension, this is a nice article with industry people commenting on active suspension:
https://wheelbased.com/2021/07/14/pro-opinion-active-suspension/
Really the only one that goes more than brochure deep is Vorsprung, and it passes a very critical eye over the available techs, giving a detailed breakdown of how quickly a system needs to react to be useful, which puts Live Valve right on the edge.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the effortpost Kimbo. Definitely a lot there that I don't think about or didn't know about.

My friend IRL was actually headhunted by the fox Live Valve team (he's a comp engineer with a heavy interest/involvement in automotive suspension) but turned them down because he didn't want to move to the states. I get the impression they're really thinking this is the next obvious step and that they're putting significant focus on it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Gotta have something new to sell I guess. People just gotta have the latest and greatest gear. This sport is the most gear disposable I've seen. If people treated cars the way they treat bikes people would just buy a new car when it's time for an oil change.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Living I'd Detroit I definitely service/replace the suspension on my car more than on my bike

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Car Hater posted:

Living I'd Detroit I definitely service/replace the suspension on my car more than on my bike

All the surprise rock crawling will do a number

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sounds like the solution is to ride the bike everywhere

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In BC it's not uncommon to see people selling their dream build with barely any time riding it because they have decided they want the new shiney thing. Not that you are going to get any sort of deal on that parts equity of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://i.imgur.com/MZdMWh3.mp4

nailed it

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Regardless, I'm impressed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Have any single speed riders dealt with knee pain? I've been riding my single speed (32x18) for eleven years and my local trail system has a very steep, albeit short climb and last year I was climbing it when I felt a sudden sharp pain in my knee. It spooked me pretty good and I have felt it occasionally since then, though not as intense.

I was recently forced to take a month off riding due to illness and other factors and when I got out for the first time today I was surprised to feel a dull ache in my knee.

I'm 44 so I'm no spring chicken, and I'm hoping to get a new bike in the next twelve months, depending on availability. I'm facing the unhappy fact that it may be time to retire single speed riding but I'm worried even a geared bike will leave me with knee pain.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not a SS rider myself but all of the ones I know have the same problem eventually on longer rides. Makes sense because climbing on SS puts a shitload more stress on your knees. It's honestly the #1 reason holding me back from SS.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

me your dad posted:

Have any single speed riders dealt with knee pain? I've been riding my single speed (32x18) for eleven years and my local trail system has a very steep, albeit short climb and last year I was climbing it when I felt a sudden sharp pain in my knee. It spooked me pretty good and I have felt it occasionally since then, though not as intense.

I was recently forced to take a month off riding due to illness and other factors and when I got out for the first time today I was surprised to feel a dull ache in my knee.

I'm 44 so I'm no spring chicken, and I'm hoping to get a new bike in the next twelve months, depending on availability. I'm facing the unhappy fact that it may be time to retire single speed riding but I'm worried even a geared bike will leave me with knee pain.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Have you tried using a larger cog in the back to see if backing off the stress on your knee at higher gradients has any impact?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Could try 32x20. I can't see going beyond that.

Could also try flat pedals or bringing your feet in closer to the cranks.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I ride 32x20, and I’ve never had knee pain from singlespeed riding.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any Americans in this thread plan on heading up to BC/Whistler in the next month? There's some dumb sim racing seat I want that's on amazon.com but not available on amazon.ca, and if I could prime it to someone and they can meet up around Vancouver so I could grab it from them I'd be grateful to the extent of 50 CAD bucks or whatnot.

e: I'm not a psycho goon, have met bud manstrong and pinarello and others

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Regarding a bigger tooth in the back - that is something that occurred to me to try. It's too bad I didn't think of it before, because I just bought a new 18t cog the other week. Seeing as though it may be a while before I'm on a new bike, I guess I'll give it a try. Most of our trails have very quick elevation changes so it shouldn't impact my overall speed too much.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

VelociBacon posted:

Any Americans in this thread plan on heading up to BC/Whistler in the next month? There's some dumb sim racing seat I want that's on amazon.com but not available on amazon.ca, and if I could prime it to someone and they can meet up around Vancouver so I could grab it from them I'd be grateful to the extent of 50 CAD bucks or whatnot.

e: I'm not a psycho goon, have met bud manstrong and pinarello and others

Is the border open and I missed the announcement? I'm at Park City in Utah (haven't hit the pro line but everything else is great), was going to go up to Seattle at some point in the next week or so but Whistler was a high priority to-do this trip, could maybe pull something off.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
We're expecting a baby in 3 weeks, so riding time has been very limited. I managed to get out Monday for a night ride, and again yesterday evening by claiming it was safer to ride in the daylight. The weather in NC has been perfect the last few days, we don't usually see such low temps in August.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The East coast seems to have traded hot August for hot July, going by Boston.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The last 5 years have been pretty much hot from June until September around here. I don't think it dipped below 80 degrees all July one year, just brutal.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nocheez posted:

We're expecting a baby in 3 weeks, so riding time has been very limited. I managed to get out Monday for a night ride, and again yesterday evening by claiming it was safer to ride in the daylight. The weather in NC has been perfect the last few days, we don't usually see such low temps in August.

Just had a baby two weeks ago and got out yesterday for my first time in a month. Hard to justify being an hours ride out into the woods before the due date, and impossible to find time and energy after. But felt great to be out again, physically and mentally.

Preemptive congrats on the new baby!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
*Seinfeld voice*: Do you ever notice no one ever congratulates you on your old baby?

Right back at you. This is our second, so it's much less stressful. I try to just go out and have fun on my rides and not get hurt. If I return home uninjured I consider it a good ride.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Is the border open and I missed the announcement? I'm at Park City in Utah (haven't hit the pro line but everything else is great), was going to go up to Seattle at some point in the next week or so but Whistler was a high priority to-do this trip, could maybe pull something off.

Opens Aug 9 for cool vacc boys and girls.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nocheez posted:

*Seinfeld voice*: Do you ever notice no one ever congratulates you on your old baby?

Right back at you. This is our second, so it's much less stressful. I try to just go out and have fun on my rides and not get hurt. If I return home uninjured I consider it a good ride.

Second for us too. The newborn part is a lot less stressful, a lot easier this time around. But the toddler part…whew

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Can someone explain the used parts market to me? Got into riding with a specialized fuse comp 29 earlier this year and been having a blast. This came with a rockshox recon RL 130mm. Recently rode a buddies Commencal Meta HT race, which has a fox 36 performance 150mm, so I obviously felt a big difference. I'm enjoying the bike a lot so starting to think about some upgrades as I get into some bigger stuff.

Is it ever worth scouring pinkbike for fork upgrades? Up the page it was mentioned that people are constantly upgrading bikes/builds so it seems like there would be a robust market... but I can see on the flipside that you never know the true condition of internals and if you are due for a service, then the cost savings might not be worth it over buying new. A lot of parts might not be worth the trouble of selling vs just having a backup but for suspension, if you calculate resale into the equation your budget goes up. Any info is appreciated.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Homers BBBq posted:

Can someone explain the used parts market to me? Got into riding with a specialized fuse comp 29 earlier this year and been having a blast. This came with a rockshox recon RL 130mm. Recently rode a buddies Commencal Meta HT race, which has a fox 36 performance 150mm, so I obviously felt a big difference. I'm enjoying the bike a lot so starting to think about some upgrades as I get into some bigger stuff.

Is it ever worth scouring pinkbike for fork upgrades? Up the page it was mentioned that people are constantly upgrading bikes/builds so it seems like there would be a robust market... but I can see on the flipside that you never know the true condition of internals and if you are due for a service, then the cost savings might not be worth it over buying new. A lot of parts might not be worth the trouble of selling vs just having a backup but for suspension, if you calculate resale into the equation your budget goes up. Any info is appreciated.

Forks are so expensive that if there's a lot of stuff you want to upgrade on your bike, it probably makes sense in the long run just getting another bike with the fork you want already equipped. Maybe you can score a good deal on a used one but that's the only way I'd do it, personally. Nothing wrong with looking and seeing what you can find though if you can find one with some service history in good shape.

I added some more orange to my bike that I haven't ridden in almost 2 months due to health issues :smith: in the form of the PNW loam dropper and lever. It was back ordered for awhile so I was waiting for a little bit. It's so much smoother than the couple year old bontrager that the bike came with and returns much faster. Nice to have one that has an adjustable air chamber, also. :toot:

Anybody have a good way to store bikes up high in the garage? I have super tall ceilings in the new house's garage and might want to try to free up some space on the floor.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have a good way to store bikes up high in the garage? I have super tall ceilings in the new house's garage and might want to try to free up some space on the floor.

Our house came with a couple bike hoists that are conceptually like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html

It works very well for getting bikes out of the way, but we've been just putting the spares up there because it is a little bit of a hassle getting them up and down.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Homers BBBq posted:

There are a lot of variables to consider with over-forking your bike. The bike's geometry and sizing is built for a 130mm fork and 29" tire. Would a 150mm 29" tire even fit, or if it did would it completely gently caress up the bike's balance? It would certainly change head tube angle, BB height, reach, etc.
Here's a thread I found just so you can skim it and get to know what you're asking. I think best would be to buy a bike that's built for what you need, not try to Frankenstein your current bike.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/over-forking-the-new-fuse-and-compatability.1143231/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

I just put a block of wood onto some studs and drove some bike hooks into them. Easy, cheap, and effective. I should probably do something about where the rear tires leave a mark, but :effort:

Only registered members can see post attachments!