Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

the letter is host to some very traumatic memories

it is generally a bad idea to gallivant around with only 1 point in health or morale, because damage can strike you without warning. especially morale damage, because the detective is a sad puppy and can take psychic damage from innocuous sources without warning, as you just did

Yup. I did a fascist run recently and I had several sudden deaths. Most notably was one where I took part in a game and threw a ball correctly to score a decent number of points but still had a total meltdown and quit being a detective because I had *wanted* to hurl it like a shotput into the sea even though that's now how the game is played and it would have accomplished nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you like being a character that gets to choose from several different ideologies, get bribed, and also get to do what you feel like because you're in a position of power, then I can really recommend Suzerain as a game that might be enjoyed if you enjoyed Disco Elysium. It's basically a CYOA central European (but in a fantasy world like DE) political story.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

the_american_dream posted:

So yea this is one of the most fascinating games I’ve ever played and I’m wary of spoiling myself and really taking it slow. However the (day 1 spoiler) damaged ledger letter is really confusing me. I frustratingly died reading it and hadn’t saved in a while prior. I now at least know to quick save often but will I eventually find out why exactly this letter causes a game over?

Don’t need to know the specifics just if there is an explanation coming up at some point

It's not a game over. If you're talking about the letter in the ledger's secret compartment, reading it is not a game over

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

the_american_dream posted:

So yea this is one of the most fascinating games I’ve ever played and I’m wary of spoiling myself and really taking it slow. However the (day 1 spoiler) damaged ledger letter is really confusing me. I frustratingly died reading it and hadn’t saved in a while prior. I now at least know to quick save often but will I eventually find out why exactly this letter causes a game over?

Don’t need to know the specifics just if there is an explanation coming up at some point

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's not a game over. If you're talking about the letter in the ledger's secret compartment, reading it is not a game over

More specifically. If you get a (spoilered though honestly, it's a nothing) newspaper saying 'Loser Quit Being A Cop' or something, that's a game over.

Other screens are not a game over including A title card drop. Or waking up in blackness (the words are different you might notice)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

Yup. I did a fascist run recently and I had several sudden deaths. Most notably was one where I took part in a game and threw a ball correctly to score a decent number of points but still had a total meltdown and quit being a detective because I had *wanted* to hurl it like a shotput into the sea even though that's now how the game is played and it would have accomplished nothing.

please everyone, stop making psychopaths (1 psyche) and/or nerds (1 body)

the game is warning you that no one should be this, if you are this irl you are going to die just like harry :(

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

played through this recently and had a pretty good time

managed to crash the economy going full communist and nationalising a bunch of industries, pissed off the conservatives and oligarchs to the point they kicked me out of the party, started my own people's party and ran a successful populist insurgent campaign and then got assassinated the day before the election lmao

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Are you sure you died? You got to the newspaper game over screen? Because there's kind of a fakeout moment around that part.

Edit: I did not refresh the recent replies

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

played through this recently and had a pretty good time

managed to crash the economy going full communist and nationalising a bunch of industries, pissed off the conservatives and oligarchs to the point they kicked me out of the party, started my own people's party and ran a successful populist insurgent campaign and then got assassinated the day before the election lmao

Sounds like more disco elysium lore to me :shrug:

UnknownMercenary posted:

You get a game over in a way by failing spectacularly at menial tasks with Interfacing. Perfect for a Benny Shitfingers run:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Regarde Aduck posted:

please everyone, stop making psychopaths (1 psyche) and/or nerds (1 body)

the game is warning you that no one should be this, if you are this irl you are going to die just like harry :(

If they didn't want this to happen they wouldn't have made the pre-made archetypes like that.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

EorayMel posted:

Sounds like more disco elysium lore to me :shrug:

You get a game over in a way by failing spectacularly at menial tasks with Interfacing. Perfect for a Benny Shitfingers run:

My favourite of these is taking morale damage because logic thinks moving two bowls of water is beneath your intellectual capabilities

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
While doing some research for a powerpoint party, I think I found our world's version of Harry.
https://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/us/michael-carey-investigative-report/index.html

During a US Delegation to Moscow, Maj. Gen. Michael Carey:
* Bragged loudly on civilian airline about being commander of a nuclear force, saying he “saves the world from war every day.”
* announced he’d “met two hot women the night before,” and continually interrupted a monastery guide during a tour

quote:

“At one point, he tried to give her (the guide) a fist bump,” the report said, citing a witness. “She had no idea what he was trying to do. It was again, very, very embarrassing.”
* Was late to every meeting
* Corrected Russian Translator despite not speaking Russian
* During dinner at a Mexican restaurant, attempted to perform with the live band
* Abandoned delegation to party with aforementioned hot women

A nukocop

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Isn't that just a stereotypical American?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Squidster posted:

During a US Delegation to Moscow, Maj. Gen. Michael Carey:

* Abandoned delegation to party with aforementioned hot women

'I've no idea how the russians stole those codes, also completely unrelated, I was partying with these hot chicks and when I woke up my blackberry was gone'

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

If you fail the skill check for trying to talk to the hanged man via Inland Empire at least three times Kim plainly states "stop trying to perform necromantic rituals" and you take morale damage from it lol

Also apparently there's a bug(?) where if you're trying to gain access to Cuno's dad's apartment for speed, you can try to do the interfacing skillcheck without chaincutters in either hand, probably fail miserably due to the -10 "tool not in hand" modifier, but then unlock it for free if you merely equip the chaincutters, then unequip them, then try again unequipped. You can do it again and again without skillpoints or savescumming. So hypothetically you have infinite "legit" tries at that skillcheck, however easy it actually is with a threshold of 8. So you can try->equip tool->unequip tool->try again->repeat until you do it the correct way:

:smuggo:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 25, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Absolutely amazing! :D Definitely has to be the true/canon way to approach the situation, hahah

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Someone fed every line in Disco Elysium into a Markov Chain generator to see what it spits out.
https://twitter.com/QuoteDisco2Me/status/1419716070751883266
https://twitter.com/QuoteDisco2Me/status/1419636729888198663
https://twitter.com/QuoteDisco2Me/status/1419712293063958547
https://twitter.com/QuoteDisco2Me/status/1419723626283094039

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey cool there's a Disco Elysium shop opening up in London..

https://twitter.com/discoelysium/status/1419682034906238981?s=19

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good luck with the drop on friday jacket aspirers 🙏

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Rhetoric urges you to debate, make intellectual discourse, nitpick – and win. It enables you to break down arguments and hear what people are really saying. You’ll spot fallacies as soon as they’re used – what exactly did the waiter leave out of their testimony? What was the dancer trying to divert you from? Was that double entendre intended, or did you just get an accidental lead?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Beautiful options, every one

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I particularly like "the hunter becomes the hunter". Thread title material, really :D

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC in this same convo you can call out your thoughts for always saying that something is going to be a good idea but it never being true.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing this for the first time.

Raphael Ambrosius Cousteau is a very conflicted man. Focusing on Savoir Faire and communism is a very strange combo, I don’t want to be a class traitor but those shoes are so goddamn nice. The stylish disco communist is... not any of those things.

Also I already want to do a new playthrough where I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that I could be a policeman at any point.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
yeah gently caress the police, crime bros for life

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Do honourable activities, refuse Bribes from Joyce and Evrart, keep your word, etc.
Your Authority will contact you, to perform "The Rite of Honour".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Major Isoor posted:

I particularly like "the hunter becomes the hunter". Thread title material, really :D

I'm pretty sure that was a Homer Simpson quote.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the game for the first time, ending question:

Is there an ending option where you don't go back on the force? Given how much the game makes it clear that the RCM exists under the Moralintern's watch I was kind of expecting a bigger opportunity to tell them to gently caress off.

Everything seemed way too positive considering the phasmid just told me humanity's current direction is making/enabling the pale. Harry's told by his 41st buddies he was secretly a supercrime unit leader and he's needed back on the force? Like this is the phasmid pheromones or a Moralintern plot or something right, it all feels vaguely ominous.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Is there an ending option where you don't go back on the force? Given how much the game makes it clear that the RCM exists under the Moralintern's watch I was kind of expecting a bigger opportunity to tell them to gently caress off.

Everything seemed way too positive considering the phasmid just told me humanity's current direction is making/enabling the pale. Harry's told by his 41st buddies he was secretly a supercrime unit leader and he's needed back on the force? Like this is the phasmid pheromones or a Moralintern plot or something right, it all feels vaguely ominous.

Doesn't really explain the lack of options to quit (though that'd probably have a lot of immediate bad consequences for Harry cause while his obsession with his work was the source of a lot of his problems in the first place getting out cold turkey would probably just means he's a drug addict who just lost every meaningful relationship he had left), but the Esprit De Corps skill can give you a ton of info on how his precinct views Harry, why they let him back in, and some info about the motives of Jean and the captain of the precinct. Specifically for that last one, they're communists that are trying to recruit enough sympathizers in the RCM to overthrow the Moralintern.

Coincidentally, the psychotherapist that says Harry's probably good to join the force again is (IIRC) the only RCM related character we meet that the communist faction of the RCM says is too risky to invite to the conspiracy. It might change based on your choices but the same Esprit De Corps thing has one of the officers say something like 'Du Bois is loving crazy but there's no doubt he'll absolutely go all-in on fighting for the cause, we can talk to him later when it's less risky to have a deranged powder-keg in our ranks.'

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

To add on to the above, the seemingly out of place positivity is kind of the point. It's one of the game's biggest themes in my opinion: seemingly pointless optimism and stubborn hope in the face of impossible odds. Maybe the RCM successfully overthrow the Moralintern and figure out what's causing the Pale so they can stop its spread or even fix it altogether. Maybe Harry coming so close to losing everything because of this bender finally helps him start fixing his poo poo and getting over Dora.

Maybe not. But sometimes hope is all you have, and sometimes that's enough.

Related spoiler for the moralism political quest: if you call the Moralintern during the quest and tell them about the Pale in the church, you get a game over when they send an airship to black bag you. So they obviously know about it, and may even be causing it, purposefully or not. Which makes hope that the RCM succeeds in overthrowing them all the more important - it might be humanity's only chance to stop the Pale, because the Moralintern obviously doesn't give a poo poo about stopping it as long as they can enjoy wealth and power while the world melts little by little into the ether.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't know that anything can stop the pale, though the nightclub shows you can stave it off for a while. But the Pale isn't the end of all things either. After the world the Pale. After the Pale, the world again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I believe it is possible for the force to refuse to take you back, it is very rare to trigger though since it basically requires you to play the game like you hate it

Edit: I got curious so I found some footage of it, you can see it triggering at the end of this speedrun (slow down the video obv)

https://youtu.be/G4oX_q0-Nx0

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 31, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lugubrious posted:

To add on to the above, the seemingly out of place positivity is kind of the point. It's one of the game's biggest themes in my opinion: seemingly pointless optimism and stubborn hope in the face of impossible odds. Maybe the RCM successfully overthrow the Moralintern and figure out what's causing the Pale so they can stop its spread or even fix it altogether. Maybe Harry coming so close to losing everything because of this bender finally helps him start fixing his poo poo and getting over Dora.

Maybe not. But sometimes hope is all you have, and sometimes that's enough.

Related spoiler for the moralism political quest: if you call the Moralintern during the quest and tell them about the Pale in the church, you get a game over when they send an airship to black bag you. So they obviously know about it, and may even be causing it, purposefully or not. Which makes hope that the RCM succeeds in overthrowing them all the more important - it might be humanity's only chance to stop the Pale, because the Moralintern obviously doesn't give a poo poo about stopping it as long as they can enjoy wealth and power while the world melts little by little into the ether.

That politcal quest was the most interesting to me given the contrast drawn between the moralintern soldier you talk to being somewhat sympathetic depending on how your radio call goes, in contrast to how they portrayed the sunday friend as a bureaucratic shithead.

I got that response by showing her on the telescope how poor Martinaise is and didn't report about the Pale. I think it's a much better quest ending that way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like a mod for the game that was just a button that was "Equip clothes for highest [insert one of 24 stats from dropdown box here] instead of shifting through your wardrobe or memorizing every stat boost.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah the clothes shuffling is legit quite bad.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'd like that button. Maybe even next to a White check, so that I can optimize for that check right away instead of leaving the conversation for a short bit.

A randomized dressup button would be cool, too

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I didn’t want to get too many minuses so I am on day 3 of pantsless hobocop

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Torquemadras posted:

I'd like that button. Maybe even next to a White check, so that I can optimize for that check right away instead of leaving the conversation for a short bit.

A randomized dressup button would be cool, too

Actually rather than micromanaging clothes per check they should probably only let you change clothes at sensible times, like the morning or whatever, so you're forced to commit to a certain 'build' for the day rather than just doing magical girl transformations whenever you need a bunch of Conceptualization.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah it doesn't actually make much sense that HDB is carrying a wardrobe around by the end of the game, in addition to the micromanagement it encourages being obnoxious.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

UnknownMercenary posted:

That politcal quest was the most interesting to me given the contrast drawn between the moralintern soldier you talk to being somewhat sympathetic depending on how your radio call goes, in contrast to how they portrayed the sunday friend as a bureaucratic shithead.

I got that response by showing her on the telescope how poor Martinaise is and didn't report about the Pale. I think it's a much better quest ending that way.

There's only one thing the people in power in the Moralintern care about : Le Price Stabilité.

Or, that they keep making more money at the same rate, or slightly greater, no matter what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The game points out that not even Kim will react to you not wearing pants so it doesn’t seem like a stretch that the world doesn’t react to you stripping down and re-dressing yourself in public imo