Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Regalingualius posted:

W2D1: what’s the trick to the pair of pigs that keep regenerating?

You need to defeat them both within a few seconds of each other. Lower one to low HP, kill the other one, then quickly kill the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Another big scoring factor in Scramble Slams I just discovered. Multikills, especially ones that finish a battle (and catch the 3x noise in there) are heavily rewarded. So if you can set up killing a bunch of noise in 1 big hit, you'll score a ton of points.

The best candidates I can think of are the bomb pins. A Mysterious Gift in week 1, and Topo the Ingenious in week 2. You'll really want Topo instead The World Within, as evolving The World Within to Topo increases its AOE a ton, letting you snag multikills much more easily.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Another big scoring factor in Scramble Slams I just discovered. Multikills, especially ones that finish a battle (and catch the 3x noise in there) are heavily rewarded. So if you can set up killing a bunch of noise in 1 big hit, you'll score a ton of points.

The best candidates I can think of are the bomb pins. A Mysterious Gift in week 1, and Topo the Ingenious in week 2. You'll really want Topo instead The World Within, as evolving The World Within to Topo increases its AOE a ton, letting you snag multikills much more easily.

Topo the Ingenious is the Vampire 2 pin, right?

That one punches so far above it’s weight it’s insane

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Topo the Ingenious is the Vampire 2 pin, right?

That one punches so far above it’s weight it’s insane

Yep. The Vampire 1 pin was like so lackluster I wasn't really impressed with it. Then I evolved it and holy poo poo it was such a drastic upgrade. The AOE is so huge, the lifesteal is nuts, and the damage is good for what that pin is. It's just so ridiculous.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
People seem to really like what I call "Rider Kick" pins just from casual Youtube observation.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Day 6 scramble slam is annoying me.

The fights are mostly those elephants that ignore knockdown and knockback leading to way less beatdrops and they just keep doing that aoe attack that usually snags one or more of my teammates.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

hell yeah it can even go +2

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay what's with the t-rexs that just eat a player? What do I do to free them?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They spit em back out after a while.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They spit em back out after a while.
Jeez they seem to be in there for a while.

I dont like pins that require knockback and launching to beatdrop becasue any time a large enemy appears they just ignore it and for the scramble slam the only thing that seems to matter for points is combo.

Also for SS points do different monsters give different amounts? I had a x5 combo going and killed a frog with a x3 bonus on it and got like 80 points.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there a way to get the Goth shop to VIP 3 before the first Scramble? You’re making me paranoid

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Note to self: Don't try to 10-chain Grizzly Noises until you get a 4th member again. Early Week 2 is a kick in the pants.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there a way to get the Goth shop to VIP 3 before the first Scramble? You’re making me paranoid

For the Chain Extender? Yeah, easily, but you can't get the thing on the Social Network until later.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of shops, is there any point in getting their VIP level to 5? I'm currently up to W2D4 and I haven't seen any reason to push up the VIP that high.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Heya people, played the first game way back when. How good is this new one?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Very.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

People seem to really like what I call "Rider Kick" pins just from casual Youtube observation.

The wind elemental one seems pretty stupid good so far, IMO.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A jargogle posted:

Heya people, played the first game way back when. How good is this new one?

It has its own tedious parts like the original did but is still superior to it in most aspects IMO. Give it a shot

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, I beat it. It was good, and I might even post thoughts about it later. But right now I need one question answered.

What does 07734 mean?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Caidin posted:

Okay, I beat it. It was good, and I might even post thoughts about it later. But right now I need one question answered.

What does 07734 mean?

I am pretty if you Enter it into an analog calculator and turn it upside down it looks like "hello"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Drashin posted:

I am pretty if you Enter it into an analog calculator and turn it upside down it looks like "hello"

Gaddamn beautiful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Jeez they seem to be in there for a while.

I dont like pins that require knockback and launching to beatdrop becasue any time a large enemy appears they just ignore it and for the scramble slam the only thing that seems to matter for points is combo.

Also for SS points do different monsters give different amounts? I had a x5 combo going and killed a frog with a x3 bonus on it and got like 80 points.

No. What Scramble Slam is checking for is how much damage did you kill the noise with. If the killing blow did a lot of damage, you get a lot of points. So basically don't use small damage over time pins to finish off noise if you can help it. You get even more points if you finish off the battle by overkilling a noise. (The amount of HP they have left doesn't matter, but overkilling is a surefire way to make sure your damage gets tallied, as dealing damage otherwise does not grant points.) You also get a ton of points if you finish off the battle with a multikill. Fusions are probably the best way to go about that.

Basically there's a loop of get beat drops to build up your combo meter, then finish off the noise with all the overkill you can. (Save the 3x noise for last if possible.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

W2D3: any particular recommendations for Pin builds (specifically, building boost)? I’ve currently got Kitsunegasaki (Uber JOTM X-attack), Gorgeous Gemstone (y-attack that petrifies), AkaFuji Blaze (ZL ground AoE), and Topo the Ingenious (r-button bomb that heals you)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Regalingualius posted:

W2D3: any particular recommendations for Pin builds (specifically, building boost)? I’ve currently got Kitsunegasaki (Uber JOTM X-attack), Gorgeous Gemstone (y-attack that petrifies), AkaFuji Blaze (ZL ground AoE), and Topo the Ingenious (r-button bomb that heals you)

yo i'm running basically that, just for the R button instead I use that 5-pronged stone pillar that puts enemies airborne

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Araxxor posted:

No. What Scramble Slam is checking for is how much damage did you kill the noise with. If the killing blow did a lot of damage, you get a lot of points. So basically don't use small damage over time pins to finish off noise if you can help it. You get even more points if you finish off the battle by overkilling a noise. (The amount of HP they have left doesn't matter, but overkilling is a surefire way to make sure your damage gets tallied, as dealing damage otherwise does not grant points.) You also get a ton of points if you finish off the battle with a multikill. Fusions are probably the best way to go about that.

Basically there's a loop of get beat drops to build up your combo meter, then finish off the noise with all the overkill you can. (Save the 3x noise for last if possible.)

God, thanks for this. In the week 1 scramble slam I literally went from 10k points per area to like 30k points per area, it's that dramatic of a difference.

I didn't even change my strategy that much, I just equipped the rockfall pin and made sure to finish off everyone with either that or a finisher. Rockfall deals like 150-200ish damage, finishers (usually the big meteor) deal like 500 damage, and I get an absurd amount of points per kill.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That certainly explains why I always had so much trouble in SS, my entire playstyle revolves around small multihit pins and using crowd control finishers that also mostly did small damage. Was that in the tutorial somewhere or is the game just that bad at explaining the mechanics of SS?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Infinity Gaia posted:

That certainly explains why I always had so much trouble in SS, my entire playstyle revolves around small multihit pins and using crowd control finishers that also mostly did small damage. Was that in the tutorial somewhere or is the game just that bad at explaining the mechanics of SS?

It's either really bad at explaining things or deliberately hiding the mechanics from players for whatever reason.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Honestly, W1D5/6 are really sapping my will to keep playing. Day 5's replaying went on too long and became kinda tedious, and Day 6 is whiplash in the other direction - the Scramble Slam is just all combat all the time, and a) I'm not that big on the game's battle system, it's adequate but I'm not having a blast, and b) the fact that it's just spamming scorpions, T-rexes, and mammoths, all of which are easily able to wipe me repeatedly, feels like I'm just smashing my head against a wall. I'm really having a hard time wanting to get through it, and the fact that I know there's at least one more Slam later in the game makes me actively dread getting to it. I guess part of the solution is Git Gud but I'm just not very good at this kind of game in the first place, and lowering the difficulty means I'm gonna be missing out on all the drops and will fall further behind on trying out new pins and affording stuff.

Day 5 and 6 just became really tedious affairs in opposite ways and I'm feeling like I'm already starting to burn out on the game and I'm hardly anywhere through it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i finished my first SS with 26k points. i can see why they're so maligned, all the micromanagement makes gameplay absolutely miserable

is there some later unlock or pin combo that would trivialize this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

theshim posted:

Honestly, W1D5/6 are really sapping my will to keep playing. Day 5's replaying went on too long and became kinda tedious, and Day 6 is whiplash in the other direction - the Scramble Slam is just all combat all the time, and a) I'm not that big on the game's battle system, it's adequate but I'm not having a blast, and b) the fact that it's just spamming scorpions, T-rexes, and mammoths, all of which are easily able to wipe me repeatedly, feels like I'm just smashing my head against a wall. I'm really having a hard time wanting to get through it, and the fact that I know there's at least one more Slam later in the game makes me actively dread getting to it. I guess part of the solution is Git Gud but I'm just not very good at this kind of game in the first place, and lowering the difficulty means I'm gonna be missing out on all the drops and will fall further behind on trying out new pins and affording stuff.

Day 5 and 6 just became really tedious affairs in opposite ways and I'm feeling like I'm already starting to burn out on the game and I'm hardly anywhere through it.

Good news, W1D5 is the worst the game ever gets regarding the Replay mechanic.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some controversy is making it's way around regarding the Variabeauties being "stereotypes of gay men as flamboyant, fashion-focused and obsessed with a female celebrity" (read: Kanon) or something to that effect

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Good news, W1D5 is the worst the game ever gets regarding the Replay mechanic.

I found W2D2 much more annoying when it came to the Replay stuff.

The second Scramble Slam seems a lot better than the first, overall (only just started it tonight). Most things now survive long enough for you to effectively build a combo without needing to chain the super-heavyweight Noise, you get more points in general because you can get 10 chains instead of 5, you have more effective healing stuff by that point to keep you going, your stats are better by that point. It's still a crapload of fighting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i finished my first SS with 26k points. i can see why they're so maligned, all the micromanagement makes gameplay absolutely miserable

is there some later unlock or pin combo that would trivialize this?

Increase your attack stat, come back with later tier bombs, spam them along with the ability to make longer chains, revel in the point gains as overkilling the noise becomes completely trivial by that point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araxxor posted:

Increase your attack stat, come back with later tier bombs, spam them along with the ability to make longer chains, revel in the point gains as overkilling the noise becomes completely trivial by that point.

can do

i will say that nagi's voice clip for using bomb pins has become excruciating

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oxxidation posted:

can do

i will say that nagi's voice clip for using bomb pins has become excruciating

then swap her pin so that Rindo or Fret is using it so you don't have to hear it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just beat W2D3. My secret to Scramble Slam is [spoiler]don't give a gently caress lol[spoiler] i just missed out on a couple bonuses so whatevs, better to just dedicate my mind powers to having everyone go to McShibuya and order 4 large sodas each to get max style before their bladders emptied out after a few fights.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

I'm not sure why week 1 is like this, but starting from week 2, you'll have to juggle difficulties way more often to get pins, and some valuable and unique ones are locked to easy. Week 1 is just really stingy with unique payouts for some reason on easy. You do get yen pins at least during that time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I beat W3D4 and I dunno what was going on with that boss but give me more party members. I'm ready to go hunting in the RG for Shiki to drag her into this. Where's Joshua I can still push in the control sticks. Every button must have a character it is The Law now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Days 5 and 6 of week one were the weakest days overall of what I have played. The rest are much better.

Also speaking of where I currently am W3D1 just wanted to talk about the Reapers game and man at least Kitaniji gave the impression that his version of the game was kinda fair, and the only thing off about it was deliberately trying to kill all players in order to win his bet. With Week 2 of Neo it became obvious the game was rigged, and it's kind of amazing how utterly unfair it was once the curtain was pulled back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araxxor posted:

I'm not sure why week 1 is like this, but starting from week 2, you'll have to juggle difficulties way more often to get pins, and some valuable and unique ones are locked to easy. Week 1 is just really stingy with unique payouts for some reason on easy. You do get yen pins at least during that time.

do you need to replay a boss Noise's specific chapter for the chance at their pin? i vaguely remember them showing up as regular Noise in the first TWEWY but that might have been a postgame thing