Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Supply chain attacks are the future, not sure just saying "well I won't use the supply chain then!!!" is inherently a viable strategy vs just adopting better practices for dependencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shoeberto posted:

Supply chain attacks are the future, not sure just saying "well I won't use the supply chain then!!!" is inherently a viable strategy vs just adopting better practices for dependencies.

hell yeah security by obscurity but unironically

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

supply chain attacks is one of those things where its confusing to me because thats what i legitimately thought all the infosec people were doing for the past 10 years but apparently they were just configuring splunk and doing nothing else for 2 figgies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

12 rats tied together posted:

supply chain attacks is one of those things where its confusing to me because thats what i legitimately thought all the infosec people were doing for the past 10 years but apparently they were just configuring splunk and doing nothing else for 2 figgies

thts simple: metrics are meaningless but "tangible", infosec is important but intangible (until poo poo happens)

bosses budget for the former

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think you can configure sonatype Nexus as a proxy for NuGet, npm etc. With the idea that this somehow makes it secure but gently caress knows what difference it makes. My guess would be they just quarantine versions for X days and wait for someone else to find the supply chain attack, which is probably good enough tbh.

thousands of npm dependencies for "concat string" or whatever will never not be funny though. "nodejs is so lightweight! *Imports 1000 dependent libraries to do hello world*"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Be nice if there was a Nexus equivalent without spyware built into it

"Boo hoo so what", I don't want to normalize that bullshit that's what. Most major OSS projects don't have malware in them because generally it immediately gets forked and removed if an ISV is foolish enough to try (see the whole Audacity mess) but Nexus is something that only corporate dev teams use and for the most part they don't give a poo poo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Carthag Tuek posted:

thts simple: metrics are meaningless but "tangible", infosec is important but intangible (until poo poo happens)

bosses budget for the former

“egress control what you want a bird”

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

me pushing artefacts to the repository: wow this code is garbage but it works so push it who cares

me downloading artefacts written by someone else from the repository: well this loving sucks what the gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

champagne posting posted:

“egress control what you want a bird”

tell them if they want a bird they can wait

im in a hamstere cage

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Carthag Tuek posted:

also, loving one function packages

"is-absolute-url"???

absolutely mental

Well if you're so smart, write your own code to see if a number is odd. :colbert:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Presto posted:

Well if you're so smart, write your own code to see if a number is odd. :colbert:

code:
function isOdd(x) {
    switch (Math.sign(x)) {
        case 0: return false
        case -1: return true
        default: return isOdd(x - 2)
    }
}

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Soricidus posted:

code:
function isOdd(x) {
    switch (Math.sign(x)) {
    }
}
this rules haha

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

code:
function isOdd(x) {
    switch (Math.sign(x)) {
    }
}

is not working on negative numbers a feature or a bug?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
there weren’t any negative numbers in the user stories. I’m gonna say it’s fine tho, the whole concept of negative numbers is pretty odd if you think about it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

there weren’t any negative numbers in the user stories. I’m gonna say it’s fine tho, the whole concept of negative numbers is pretty odd if you think about it

wow i'd never thought of that before

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it works just fine on half of the negative numbers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

reminder that at least one darknet drug market let you buy things for a negative price then cash out, bankrupting the whole thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

even still

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Jabor posted:

it works just fine on half of the negative numbers

it probably works on more negative than positive numbers, unless the tail call gets eliminated

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
JavaScript code:
const isOdd = x => !isEven(x)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Doom Mathematic posted:

JavaScript code:
const isOdd = x => !isEven(x)

youre fired, clean out your office by october 1st or else

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Carthag Tuek posted:

youre fired, clean out your office by october 1st or else

you didn’t set anything to happen in the else so I’m off scot three

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yesterday, the main project just got my Parasoft checks merged in. Any new warnings or rule violations are a hard error. I marked all pending pull requests as needs work to force all the developers to rebase against the development branch. So far there are 14 failed Jenkins builds and counting. :allears:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
godspeed op

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

vaya con dios

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pokeyman posted:

godspeed op

Today I am flipping the switch on code coverage. :allears:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Web developers are a delight, this code has been littering the logs for years and years:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrMoo posted:

Web developers are a delight, this code has been littering the logs for years and years:

Python 2 in a web-facing application in TYOOL 2021

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CarForumPoster posted:

I basically have a 2014 set of apps running Python 2 and never updated. Also, all developed by junior engineers. Somehow I have to transform this into new supported code, and have full CI/CD pipeline. As an understatement, this is challenging. Oh, and running on Ubuntu 14 everywhere, and wish of moving to Ubuntu Core with "Snaps".

All the major features used by anything have been deprecated and replaced by other things. Obviously any testing has disappeared, a New Relic account exists but is actually empty. Most enjoyable was seeing reference to a third party SMTP relay service, logging in with credentials shows a "how to send your first email" message.

Obviously, the SMTP relay service blocked by SPF/DKIM settings.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrMoo posted:

I basically have a 2014 set of apps running Python 2 and never updated. Also, all developed by junior engineers. Somehow I have to transform this into new supported code, and have full CI/CD pipeline. As an understatement, this is challenging. Oh, and running on Ubuntu 14 everywhere, and wish of moving to Ubuntu Core with "Snaps".

All the major features used by anything have been deprecated and replaced by other things. Obviously any testing has disappeared, a New Relic account exists but is actually empty. Most enjoyable was seeing reference to a third party SMTP relay service, logging in with credentials shows a "how to send your first email" message.

Obviously, the SMTP relay service blocked by SPF/DKIM settings.

I'm almost there. Tell me about the anomalous IP addresses in your admin logs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Logs, :okpos:

The main app itself has absolutely no logging, the only thing I see are random exceptions raised up through a rather old version of Apache, crashing is the norm for the majority of the code.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

it’s more likely than you think!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao gonna save that post at work so every time I think I don't know what I'm doing I can refer to it and go "yeah but I know more than that"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrMoo posted:

absolutely no logging, the only thing I see are random exceptions raised up through a rather old version of Apache, crashing is the norm for the majority of the code.

i came thank you

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao gonna save that post at work so every time I think I don't know what I'm doing I can refer to it and go "yeah but I know more than that"

yea this

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
at least it crashes rather than silently swallowing exceptions?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Plorkyeran posted:

at least it crashes rather than silently swallowing exceptions?

It catches the exception and generally prints something unrelated, like 'HTTP_ACCEPT'. Many exceptions catches try to do the operation a slightly different way, then after 2 or 3 different options, it just continues processing with invalid data.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
some recent lols:

engineer's pr got denied and said engineer commited the changes into another pr that got approved and it hosed everything up while they were on pto lmao

ci/cd service has been dead as hell for a month preventing critical updates from being delivered

I barely code any more and it kicks rear end

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

elite_garbage_man posted:

some recent lols:

engineer's pr got denied and said engineer commited the changes into another pr that got approved and it hosed everything up while they were on pto lmao

ci/cd service has been dead as hell for a month preventing critical updates from being delivered

I barely code any more and it kicks rear end

your ci/cd doesn't sound very c!

we also don't revoke PR approvals if more commits happen so as soon as you got an approval you're golden to push whatever the hell you want.
i don't think it's ever caused any problems tbh.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cool av posted:

your ci/cd doesn't sound very c!

we also don't revoke PR approvals if more commits happen so as soon as you got an approval you're golden to push whatever the hell you want.
i don't think it's ever caused any problems tbh.

:yossame:

It's useful as long as we only have people on the team who are competent, or at least realize when they shouldn't merge stuff. But oh boy can you do some damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

we're getting a session token validation error with no obvious cause, that validation is a hidden field on the form and a cookie that's validated against the session and you get a very specific set of errors on failure in .net MVC: either you didn't send the token or you sent the wrong one.

The error is very specificlly the latter: the token provided didn't match the expected one. That points to a session reset issue.

so of course the offshore dev solution is "this html form is created manually so we should change it to use Ajax" :thunk: