Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Carthag Tuek posted:

go for it bird

Item A: the Taylor Swift song "The Man", wherein she alleges were she a man, her lifestyle would make people think of her as the man, instead of earning her the criticism that it currently does, as a woman
Item B: the Billie Eilish song "Therefore I Am", the chorus of which goes:
    I'm not your friend
    Or anything, drat
    You think that you're the man
    I think, therefore, I am

Tenuous, you say? It is indeed. But here are the full lyrics of the Eilish song, which pertain to the following items. And also frankly just in general sound like they're about some other famous person and not an old pal from high school. I mean, I say old, but I guess that was probably like last year for Billie.
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/billieeilish/thereforeiam.html

Anyway, Item C is the whole general set of lyrics in combination with the time a couple years ago Taylor did something weird or another and deleted her whole Instagram (Twitter? why do I even remember this) for a while, except a picture of her having a good time with Billie, to change the trending topic to: Are Taylor and Billie Friends???

And then Item D is, specifically, the lyric about how Eilish just acts confused when the track recipient's name is brought up. I googled BILLIE EILISH TAYLOR SWIFT after having this important genius moment and the most recent article is something about Billie Eilish claiming not to know her favorite childhood song was one by Taylor Swift. Things are getting very suspicious, no?

Item E is... I forget, I might not have an Item E. This is rather too many words I've written on the subject anyway. I just happened to hear both songs tonight, both for the first time, and something about them clicked in very unexpected way. I hope that all of this has convinced you, and if not, I'm sure Item E would have done the trick had I remembered it.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm glad that everybody on page 317 can come on this magical pop music journey with me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Dammit I missed my chance to say "if you want Bird to elaborate on the Swift/Eilish beef, gimme a Hell Yeah!" and then chug two beers at once

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There used to be Bigger Duplos. Can't remember what they were called but they looked ridiculous.

e: Duplo Primo, apparently. And of course toys for literal babies are allowed to look ridiculous.

Why that baby got a trash stache

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Memento posted:

Dammit I missed my chance to say "if you want Bird to elaborate on the Swift/Eilish beef, gimme a Hell Yeah!" and then chug two beers at once

:cheers: :hellyeah: :cheers:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

The actual bigger Duplo are Quatro. And they all hook together.

Forget the Germans for a moment. This is what I'm talkin' about. Tiny hands all the way to big. This is how you build things that will last. Pretty dern cool.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In the Oasis song "Morning Glory", being "chained to the mirror and the razor blade" probably isn't about shaving.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

In the Oasis song "Morning Glory", being "chained to the mirror and the razor blade" probably isn't about shaving.

Well both Gallagher brothers are pretty hairy.

Similarly, in Master of Puppets when Hetfield sings "chop your breakfast on a mirror" he's probably not talking about a nutritious meal

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Similarly, in Master of Puppets when Hetfield sings "chop your breakfast on a mirror" he's probably not talking about a nutritious meal

Well, yeah.

I remember being disappointed when I realised the song was just "drugs are bad" and not about some demon puppetmaster.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

When Cypress Hill sang about their lack of love “for a brother who comes to the party with no Bud” they probably weren’t referring to a nice cold Budweiser.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tight aspirations posted:

When Cypress Hill sang about their lack of love “for a brother who comes to the party with no Bud” they probably weren’t referring to a nice cold Budweiser.

They were obviously referring to a man coming to the party without a friend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

When Ray Parker Jr.Huey Lewis sang about how he wants "a new drug" he wasn't talking about drugs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When Ray Parker Jr.Huey Lewis sang about how he wants "a new drug" he wasn't talking about drugs.

Ironically, the first (and to date, only) song that is not about drugs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Hygiene posted:

There are plenty of songs that aren't about drugs!

they're about anal sex

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

There are like 40 000 songs about humppaing and they all suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-lv9c2JwSU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I learned just now (thanks to a crossword puzzle, as is often the case) that kiwis grow on vines. I never really thought about it but just picture fruits growing on shrubs or trees by default, I just never pictured them growing on a vine like a giant fuzzy grape.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Checking for stems is one of the easiest ways to tell them and Australians apart

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

There are plenty of songs that aren't about drugs!

they're about anal sex

Brown-eye Girl

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Brown-eye Girl
😎
👉👉

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out: thanks to a crossword puzzle, as is often the case

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Checking for stems is one of the easiest ways to tell them and Australians apart

Also true for weed from what I understand

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Golden and Labrador Retrievers are two different types of dogs.

Deep down I knew this, I could identify them if asked but I'd interchange them in my head until I looked it up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Labs are a mutation from other retrievers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zoroaster is Zarathustra :doh:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Thus spake Megadoodoo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tööööööööööööööööööt
Tööööööööööööööööööt
Tööööööööööööööööööt
TÖRÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖRT!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh snap , that's a big one

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Similarly, in Master of Puppets when Hetfield sings "cheeeeeop your breakfast on a mirror" he's probably not talking about a nutritious meal

E:

Inzombiac posted:

Golden and Labrador Retrievers are two different types of dogs.

Deep down I knew this, I could identify them if asked but I'd interchange them in my head until I looked it up.

Doesn't help that I've sometimes heard the blonde labrador retrievers called "golden labs" rather than "yellow labs"

Ee: the "crazy thing you just learned" thread is long dead so here you go: Right whales have testes weighing up to 1150 lbs apiece. (525 kg for my metrified fellows.) These are the hugest balls in the world, and ten times larger than the blue whale's nuts.

Phy has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Aug 4, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Huh you’d think it’d be the sperm whale.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Captain Monkey posted:

Huh you’d think it’d be the sperm whale.

Looks like someone hasn't met Mr. Right.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
That's a lot of pee

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The reason beavers build dams is because they hate the sound of running water.

Studies were done where they played back the sound of running water on a stereo sitting on concrete and beavers built a drat on top of it. Also, if you play back the sound of running water loudly next to quietly running water, beavers will ignore the water and still build on top of the stereo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Studies were done where they played back the sound of running water on a stereo sitting on concrete and beavers built a drat on top of it. Also, if you play back the sound of running water loudly next to quietly running water, beavers will ignore the water and still build on top of the stereo.

Seems obvious now a mammal that lives in water would be naturally selected for that. If the water is running strongly and loudly enough it is likely to kill them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MariusLecter posted:

Seems obvious now a mammal that lives in water would be naturally selected for that. If the water is running strongly and loudly enough it is likely to kill them.

It's by no means obvious that it would be exclusively an audio stimulus

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think that's just evolution fixating on a thing that works well enough, even if it isn't technically optimal

Like how high CO2 makes you feel terrible but low oxygen just makes you pass out and die peacefully

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

I think that's just evolution fixating on a thing that works well enough, even if it isn't technically optimal

Like how high CO2 makes you feel terrible but low oxygen just makes you pass out and die peacefully

Oh totally, ex post facto, it's one of those wonderfully simple evolutionary solutions. It just strikes me as a Reddit-culture kinda thing to take a hypothesis that was tested and say "yeah well duh".

I don't really think OP was doing that thing though, so it's just me musing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've seen so many "but how do beavers know where to build their dams?" before and was stunned that the answer was so simple. True, it wasn't so much "I just figured out" but read it online and went searching to make sure it was actually true.

It's just amazing what instincts can do, and how they can be tricked.

The Canadian wildlife service is now using speakers playing the sounds of running water to entice beavers to build dams in locations where they will prevent flooding of roads and homes during high rains.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

God: but you just said you hate the sound of water
Beaver Primordial: and the teeth never stop growing
God: big beautiful white teeth
Beaver Primordial: can you make them dark orange

Beaver Primordial: smallest eyes possible

edit: The first time I saw a beaver, the animal, I was amazed at how big they are. And then I found out platypuses are tiny as hell.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Aug 4, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nutria are the kings of bad teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Inzombiac posted: