Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
to be honest i was on the flat roof side but then twisto pitched his (flat roofed) tent and I had to oppose.

263 degrees is probably not far off what an actual flatroof is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Never had these problems down the mines

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
craftywank and subterspooge

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
is thatcher's cider anything to do with thatchers as in maggie and her criminal family

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
no she did the awfully named icecreams

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no she did the awfully named icecreams

crispix posted:

craftywank and subterspooge

?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

crispix posted:

...subterspooge

You've been cranking these out (oho!) all day, but this is gold.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Well, my little night out could have gone better. The main takeaway, is I had a brisket doner on the way home. It looks like a pile of dog poo poo, but tastes like a pike of unicorn poo poo. Baby.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

crispix posted:

is thatcher's cider anything to do with thatchers as in maggie and her criminal family

No. Cider is not aspirational, and drunk by poors. So water it down, and pop some strychnine in there.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Spangly A posted:

"The defendant, one C Murray, cannot be wholly identified for security reasons"

+

"The defendant, a former ambassador known to reporters as Craig, cannot be legally identified"

It's giving out pieces of information on a case in such a way that a reader can easily see things that you aren't supposed to have told them. I don't know what he revealed, but with contempt he probably wrote a series of articles revealing different bits of the jigsaw himself. Last I checked he had some ok politics but had been profoundly psychologically unwell since getting his career destroyed for not loving the massacre of Iraqi civilians.

I believe he was the person who leaked the identities of the women who acussed Alex Salmond of sexual assault, which is obviously an extremely lovely thing to do.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

I need that Primitive Technology youtube guy.

You need to live in a rainforest for that to work I think.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1421250250019426305?s=19

:hmmyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
fascists-saying-this-is-like-1984.epub

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Craig Murray failed candidate vetting to be an SNP MP in 2015. Which, when you look at some of the roasters who succeeded is really something.

He's been very salty about it ever since.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 31, 2021

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We had that gravel covered/blowtorched on roof felting on the houseboat. We'd get different leaks depending on where the wind was coming from.

The one thing I don't miss about the boat is the worry that this time my computer was going to get rained on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I believe he was the person who leaked the identities of the women who acussed Alex Salmond of sexual assault, which is obviously an extremely lovely thing to do.

Ah, that explains the weird vibe I was getting from the people talking about this case - I knew something was up because they were all just saying "JAILED FOR WHISTLEBLOWING JUST LIKE ASSANGE" without even *suggesting* what his supposed journalism was. TBH I assumed it was something transphobe-y just based on the people involved, but weirdo Salmond truthers and their particular mix of nationalism and misogyny also fits.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aren't flat roofs also really bad if you get any serious amount of snow?
That thing we seem to be getting more of every year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Flat roofs are waterproof right up until the drainage goes wrong, we had one built on the correct angle with the drainpipes and whatnot and then it settled and the angle went squiffy which caused multiple issues over the years.

The real problem is the bastard cold, you don’t have a loft to fill with insulation so the snow settling on top will turn that room into an icebox.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd love every author (living or dead) to take a giant poo poo on every GC TERF's head and leave JK all alone (with her billions).

I love the thought that these deluded cultists are hanging on the every word and thought of their imagined GC leaders until they discover that they're not a bigot. At which point they turn on them and try to tear them apart like the otters in South Park.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really can't imagine someone who likes pratchett's work and is also a big terf.

Just extremely bizzare and sad to run around trying desperately to think of famous people you don't give a poo poo about but who would totally like your lovely ideas. Unbelievably pathetic to need that sort of validation for your lovely worldview.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can’t imagine she’s going to be that fond on JK Rowling anyway what with all the stealing she did from the Witches series and everything.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

GC is Gender Critical?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

I'd love every author (living or dead) to take a giant poo poo on every GC TERF's head and leave JK all alone (with her billions).
That knights of the round summon from FF7 except it's every single author from Akwaeke Emezi all the way back to 𒍑𒆪 priests showing up and dunking on gender criticals.

Also Unicode does cuneiform now? That's neat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

I really can't imagine someone who likes pratchett's work and is also a big terf.

Just extremely bizzare and sad to run around trying desperately to think of famous people you don't give a poo poo about but who would totally like your lovely ideas. Unbelievably pathetic to need that sort of validation for your lovely worldview.

He even made one of the most beloved characters in the series (nobby) a drag queen, an arc that developed and carried on through the whole watch series if you watched for it. :). “Morris dancing”

Children and gender was brought up twice with two children described as being of indeterminate sex in hogfather and wintersmith, and he made his views clear on gender roles being bullshit with Equal Rites (his third book).

Edit: oh yeh. Monstrous Regiment, gender roles, drag kings and trans men oh my.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 31, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

He even made one of the most beloved characters in the series (nobby) a drag queen, an arc that developed and carried on through the whole watch series if you watched for it. :). “Morris dancing”

Children and gender was brought up twice with two children described as being of indeterminate sex in hogfather and wintersmith, and he made his views clear on gender roles being bullshit with Equal Rites (his third book).

Also, literally everything about the dwarven culture subplot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He was probably the first sorta-mainstream author to draw a line between gender identity and gender roles with the whole "dwarves are socially genderless but if they choose to present themselves in a certain way then use their proper pronouns, dickhead" thing.

e: ^ yeah that

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, literally everything about the dwarven culture subplot.

I also forgot Monstrous Regiment in my quest to think of the obscure stuff.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Famously GC Terry Prac…. Oh

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I was like 15 when I read Monstrous Regiment and it was the first time I really thought about gender roles. Learned a lot of stuff from Pratchett without realising it at the time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man, Discworld books were so great, they deserved more than that crappy Sky One Colour of Magic show from a few years back

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It truly is the End Times, Tesco didn't have their fake Baileys in my click and collect shop today. Plus in a fit of dramatic irony, they forgot to give me my gammon (but it still cost me, yeees).

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man, Discworld books were so great, they deserved more than that crappy Sky One Colour of Magic show from a few years back
Discworld does not translate to TV well, since you can't have Pratchett talking you through the whole thing.

I enjoyed the new reimagining, making it entirely different let the producers strip out the stuff that doesn't work on screen & replace it with stuff that does

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The animated Soul Music is pretty decent.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Borrovan posted:

Discworld does not translate to TV well, since you can't have Pratchett talking you through the whole thing.

I enjoyed the new reimagining, making it entirely different let the producers strip out the stuff that doesn't work on screen & replace it with stuff that does

Yeah, I went into The Watch expecting to hate it utterly. Instead it kind of ruled? loving loved the steam/cyberpunk-with-emphasis-on-punk aesthetic and music. Also female Vetinari worked in a way I really didn’t expect it to, though the wife and I are still trying to figure out what exactly is going on there, given all the explicitly male art and propaganda on display and the use of male pronouns some (but not all) of the time - is the character keeping their gender secret from the city at large? Are they trans/gender fluid? Or is it that the Patrician is a ‘male’ role so that the person in it is referred to as male when discussing their rank/position regardless of how they present?

Also Cheery was loving /awesome/ and not ashamed to admit that Angua became an ‘agreed exception’ for the both of us.

Also communist goblins.

gently caress I want to watch it again now.

Tbh i almost think the show would have been more popular if they’d completely filed off the Discworld stuff. There would certainly have been less negative coverage.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Yeah, I went into The Watch expecting to hate it utterly. Instead it kind of ruled? loving loved the steam/cyberpunk-with-emphasis-on-punk aesthetic and music. Also female Vetinari worked in a way I really didn’t expect it to, though the wife and I are still trying to figure out what exactly is going on there, given all the explicitly male art and propaganda on display and the use of male pronouns some (but not all) of the time - is the character keeping their gender secret from the city at large? Are they trans/gender fluid? Or is it that the Patrician is a ‘male’ role so that the person in it is referred to as male when discussing their rank/position regardless of how they present?

Also Cheery was loving /awesome/ and not ashamed to admit that Angua became an ‘agreed exception’ for the both of us.

Also communist goblins.

gently caress I want to watch it again now.

Tbh i almost think the show would have been more popular if they’d completely filed off the Discworld stuff. There would certainly have been less negative coverage.

It definitely wouldn't have been made if it weren't for the Discworld connection because television is somehow even more craven and risk-averse than cinema.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I was watching Peep show the other day and remembered how much of an absolute mega melt Robert Webb is.

I don't know how I missed this cancelling he had a while ago- I know he's completely ferally against working class people but did he not come for sanitation workers on twitter and got ratio'd? I just want the tea on this so I can laugh about what a dick he is.

https://twitter.com/arobertwebb/status/756867648948936706?lang=en

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember enjoying the point and click Discworld 2 game but there was no way I would have finished it without having a walkthrough every step of the way

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first two Discworld games had the most insane puzzles in any point n click game. Everyone memes about the cat hair moustache thing in Gabriel Knight 3 (or whichever) but that whole sequence is like step one out of five in the easiest puzzle in the first Discworld game.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Going Postal is the only adaptation that worked for me, probably due to its standalone nature (it's a good story even if you don't know the Discworld), excellent casting (Andrew Sachs RIP) and getting the tone kind of right-ish.

I might have to check out the Watch thing that I've been avoiding...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember enjoying the point and click Discworld 2 game but there was no way I would have finished it without having a walkthrough every step of the way

I remember watching my dad play that when I was a lad and the way the Luggage followed you around really freaked me out. I think it was the legs.