Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a way to get pierce from this Girimekhala from the Amala Labyrinth onto my demons without completely changing them into something else? I thought I could get clever and do a sacrificial fusion with my party members and a mitama so they’d only get a stat boost then sacrifice the giri so I could move the skill over but apparently mitama fusions can’t take sacrifices too

Metatron + the girimekhala turns into a throne which I think I can just fuse right back into a Metatron but the rest of my party might be screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i'm overthinking sacrificial fusion. time to let go and game. how can i get a bigger demon roster?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

i'm overthinking sacrificial fusion. time to let go and game. how can i get a bigger demon roster?

theres a plot beat that gives you your first expansion, i'm guessin theres another one that maxes out your roster size later

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i dropped this for a bit when i got smoked at the end of ikebukuro tunnel but i'm goin back once i beat legend of mana remaster. i'm so hype for smt5 i'm practically glowing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

theres a plot beat that gives you your first expansion, i'm guessin theres another one that maxes out your roster size later

Yeah just by progressing through the story you get one upgrade to 10 and then another upgrade to 12

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

There’s a few and as far as I remember they’re all main story beats. You’ll end up with 12 slots at the end of the game

e: what Pablo said

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is there a way to get pierce from this Girimekhala from the Amala Labyrinth onto my demons without completely changing them into something else? I thought I could get clever and do a sacrificial fusion with my party members and a mitama so they’d only get a stat boost then sacrifice the giri so I could move the skill over but apparently mitama fusions can’t take sacrifices too

Metatron + the girimekhala turns into a throne which I think I can just fuse right back into a Metatron but the rest of my party might be screwed

What I did was fuse Girimekhala (and any other demon with skills I wanted) into elements, record them in the compendium, then fuse those into mitama (record them as well). Having a bunch of elements/mitama with Pierce/Debilitate/Prayer/etc. was really helpful in setting up my final party. Mitama inheritance only works with open skill slots though so you may have trouble with it either way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Went through all the Mantra headquarters, told the boss that I want in on this poo poo. Then I jumped down which made me laugh. Still cruisin' so far. Can't wait to get more exploration going on, this part felt a bit stifling. Otherwise really cool tho

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hadn’t planned on starting 4 immediately after beating 3 since my plan was for my 3DS to be a dedicated Zelda machine for a while but I ended up caving after just a few hours and started a new game.

I thought maybe the start of 4 gave me so much trouble the first time I tried it a few years back just because I was new to that style of game but nope, I went straight from beating the ultimate True Demon Ending boss pretty handily in 3 to dying 3 times in the tutorial of 4 within a few hours lol. This game does not let you get your footing before throwing you into the grinder like Nocturne did

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Do I need to be stingy with deathstones?

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hadn’t planned on starting 4 immediately after beating 3 since my plan was for my 3DS to be a dedicated Zelda machine for a while but I ended up caving after just a few hours and started a new game.

I thought maybe the start of 4 gave me so much trouble the first time I tried it a few years back just because I was new to that style of game but nope, I went straight from beating the ultimate True Demon Ending boss pretty handily in 3 to dying 3 times in the tutorial of 4 within a few hours lol. This game does not let you get your footing before throwing you into the grinder like Nocturne did

I think Nocturne is just easy for a mainline smt game. I'm playing on hard and after reaching ikebukuro I still just ended up stomping every fight and boss.

Sleng Teng posted:

Do I need to be stingy with deathstones?

Not really, there will be a merchant of sorts that sells them in the third kalpa

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
4 has a weird difficulty where u have to grind some the tower and its mostly hard because your ai firends are idiots and smirk in 4 is a lovely system. THEN you leave the tower and its a cake walk

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smirk is absurd in 4. big chance on crit to be invincible+have a guaranteed crit lined up for the next turn. when enemies get it you're hosed

they tuned it way down in 4a and also immediately give you a skill that clears smirk

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
yeah it was a little more interesting since you could also give yourself smirk and enemies could clear it. and it didn't mean an instant party wipe because your ai partners aren't idiots determined to use the element the boss absorbs every turn in like in normal smt4.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

awesome thanks, making my first fiend then

Just completed the assembly of nihlo. This dungeon is great because it feels like this is where my core team solidified which is a great feeling, but also because by the end of the last storeroom I was absolutely ready to demolish evil starmie and it felt great when I did. Constantly excited to get new magatama and fuse+recruit new demons now

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

just hit matador. i guess it's time to stop and loving think. love it when poo poo gets real in these games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Think i stopped playing at the Obelisk my first playthrough because the emulator was loving up, and my memories are definitely getting hazy as I go on lol. Just finished the prison and could have sworn it had a Black or King Frost boss/encounter but apparently I based that on meeting a single out of place jack frost. Fused a Daisoujou and bought the Pisaca with the exploration skills from Amala, and heading into the tunnels now...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Think i stopped playing at the Obelisk my first playthrough because the emulator was loving up, and my memories are definitely getting hazy as I go on lol. Just finished the prison and could have sworn it had a Black or King Frost boss/encounter but apparently I based that on meeting a single out of place jack frost. Fused a Daisoujou and bought the Pisaca with the exploration skills from Amala, and heading into the tunnels now...

If you come back to the prison later there's a Black Frost boss fight in the same room as the other boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you come back to the prison later there's a Black Frost boss fight in the same room as the other boss

whoa cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah and if you beat him, later on in the third kalpa he'll appear in one of the rooms where the Raidou/Dante chase happened and join your team

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

beat Matador after some grinding and planning. one of the best gamer feels to come in with a plan in smt and kick rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

played through all 20 levels of the insane puzzle boy thing, walked out the door and got killed by a mudo for the first time. smiling serenely and visualising placing the game disc in a sock drawer next to f-zero

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

played through all 20 levels of the insane puzzle boy thing, walked out the door and got killed by a mudo for the first time. smiling serenely and visualising placing the game disc in a sock drawer next to f-zero

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmfao owned

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

missed my exit yesterday and had to drive 15 minutes for the next, then back again, so I know how about 1% of your pain must feel

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Owned

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's what your merciful playing rear end gets :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

That's what your merciful playing rear end gets :)

I played merciful to save 15 minutes' grinding and lost incalculably more time as punishment for my hubris... a harsh lesson

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ever since I beat this game it's been hard to get into anything else. Nothing compares. Listless gamer funk that will probably last until SMTV .

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

ever since I beat this game it's been hard to get into anything else. Nothing compares. Listless gamer funk that will probably last until SMTV .

I felt that way too until I decided to do Dragon Quest Summer. Now DQ is all I can think about but I'm definitely stoked for SMTV.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

finally gettin back to this, got out of asakusa tunnel after beatin sui-ki and got ambushed by white rider. narrowly squeaked out a win after some close calls, feelin like a god. going back for the last oni now...

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
all rpgs were when the MC dies it's game over need to gently caress off forever, even in DQ2 your allies could raise your dead rear end if they made it out alive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I felt that way too until I decided to do Dragon Quest Summer. Now DQ is all I can think about but I'm definitely stoked for SMTV.

oh yeah DQ has been an undeniable blast but i been playing that through with my friend who wanted to see the entire series so i mentally file that into a different kind of gaming .

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tripwood posted:

all rpgs were when the MC dies it's game over need to gently caress off forever, even in DQ2 your allies could raise your dead rear end if they made it out alive

*aims the chuck signal at the sky*

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

*aims the chuck signal at the sky*

Don’t entirely disagree with him tbh… [1,000-yard stare into the distance as I think about spending 20 minutes chasing Kaiwan’s fancy rear end around his dungeon and then getting instant game-overed by Mudo 2 rounds into the boss fight]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

But seriously I’m undecided. I’m on 4 now which is a game over only on full party wipe and it’s an interesting contrast. Both being able to save anywhere and being able to survive the MC’s death makes it so that enemies are way more unforgiving and you’ll regularly get one- or two-shotted even by regular enemies, as opposed to 3 where it’s harder to get owned completely like that but the consequences are harsher if you do