Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm not crazy about The Last of Us Games (can't play 2 since it came out after my ps4 crapped it) but lol wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2 is legit

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
These are the reasons idiots hate TLOU2:

- They hate Abby because she is trans and thus it is a symptom of SJWs invading game studios and destroying "western civilization". This is canonically wrong, Abby is never mentioned as being trans, and all this is based on a pre-release leak that claimed so.
- They hate Abby because she is secretly trans, thus it is a symptom of SJWs invading game studios. Because no "real woman" could have muscles and be a bad-rear end like her, in their eyes.
- They hate Abby because she killed their BFF and daddy Joel, even though she had good reason to since in the past Joel destroyed Abby's life.

You might see that there is some kind of trend in this.

(There are various legit criticisms of the game, but those are not coming from the review bombing 4channers that hate it so much)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 31, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

These are the reasons idiots hate TLOU2:

-they are dumb idiot nerd fuckers who hate women

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Ds4 sucks

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 1, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I like TLOU2 but trying to get the player to feel sympathy for Abby and the reasons why she killed Joel did not work for me. If that was the devs intention. There is too much history between the player and Joel and Ellie for them to say "yeah I kinda get Abby she isn't so bad after all." At least for me. I understood her motive, which in the end is no nette for worse than what Joel did, except he actually murdered far more people I guess. Thus the Abby segments felt like a slog to me.
However, I did feel an overwhelming urge to kill them all after that scene because it was just such a ridiculous wtf? Why? Moment. So walking in Ellis shoes definitely worked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Abby was one of the three characters I actually liked so I got the complete opposite from that lol

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I really liked Abby and they definitely succeeded in their goal for me. Switching back to Ellie and hunting down and trying to kill Abby after spending several hours with her was the part that didn't really work for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I still feel much closer to Ellie than I do to Abby but I can honestly understand her not really feeling like she had a choice. Joel wasn’t just the man who destroyed her life, she was also raised to believe that Joel might have singlehandely doomed mankind.

Both women are sort of defined by how they frame and justify their monstrosities

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wanted to absolutely murder Ellie by the end

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i wanted to murder bitch face tommy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s really rare for a video game to have you play as a character during the absolute nadir of their lives, just an absolute shitstain of a person scraping the rock bottom of life. Ellie really has fully become The Devil by that scene

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I also thought Ellie went way beyond what can in anyway be called a reasonable. But still I felt more "on her side", but that's probably because of TLOU1.

Did anybody not play Part 1? I'd be interested to hear what they thought without having the connection from playing the first game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i know star citizen has made goons do some rather embarassing things, but i dont think anything can top the brain disease of r/tlou2 where they faked death threats from a youtuber couple to make them fair game for a campaign of harassment

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It managed to hit me pretty hard emotionally at the end of the Abby arc when you're up against this rear end in a top hat sniper that constantly keeps killing you and it's an uphill battle and you get so angry and then you realize oh poo poo I know who that sniper is

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 31, 2021

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I am finally playing through TLOU2 so I can read these spoilers I have been glossing over for the last 2 years.

Just starting Seattle now, so far it’s been a real rollercoaster

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

i know star citizen has made goons do some rather embarassing things, but i dont think anything can top the brain disease of r/tlou2 where they faked death threats from a youtuber couple to make them fair game for a campaign of harassment

Girlfriend Reviews to be more exact. The couple posted a video about that. Pretty hosed up stuff tbh...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

there might be some flaws in TLOU2 but it's definitely hands down one of the best narratives i've ever played.

the swell of excitement i felt raging through choppy, stormy waters on my way to kill Abby that was then subverted and turned into empathy for Abby, and then disappointment in Ellie for not backing down and settling but also understanding how haunted she'd become. just great stuff even if somewhat contrived.

in the last battle i let myself die to Abby bc at first i just couldn't bring myself to try and kill her after everything the story had put me through emotionally.

and also yeah absolutely gently caress those idiots on r/tlou2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TLOU2 rules bitches!!!!!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I just got to the part in TLOU2 where you get to play as Abby. Is this the part people are mad about? She owns. Who needs weapons when you can just Chris Redfield your way through.

No, people were mad at the first time you got to play as Abby.

Phobophilia posted:

For anyone looking for more context on this, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9HLsPFfCw

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 31, 2021

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

TLOU2 had a great natural finishing point, and then exceeded it for no reason and made the ending dumb. It was also too long.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But the last scene with Joel is one of the best in the whole franchise and recontextualises everything in a perfect way. Also the guitar

(I literally just had this conversation with a friend an hour ago haha)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
TLOU2 is [REDACTED]

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

BigHandsVince posted:

TLOU2 had a great natural finishing point, and then exceeded it for no reason and made the ending dumb. It was also too long.

as much as i loved it basically throughout the entirety of my play time, i was starting to think it was going on too long. i chalked it up to the game wanting you to feel a kind of emotional "fatigue" that the characters were experiencing, but that still seemed slightly off.

but then....

Escobarbarian posted:

the last scene with Joel is one of the best in the whole franchise and recontextualises everything in a perfect way. Also the guitar

that cutaway to Joel and yeah how it frames all of the madness you've been witnessing and playing through just makes SO much sense and is honestly really beautiful

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think my only problem with TLOU2 is the Rattlers. The whole game is centered around the premise "there are no bad guys, just people doing what they think they have to" and then at the very end it's like "oh except these guys, they're just eeeevil." It would have been better if they were some angy remnant of the seraphites that survived the WLF assault, and I don't see why it couldn't have been.

that said, it's a brilliant game and holy poo poo the chud offensive against it is amazing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BigHandsVince posted:

in a series that hangs so much on realistically portraying travel logistics and dealing with injuries (assuming they were inflicted in a cutscene, ofc) that last "arc" breaks suspension of disbelief left and right in order to get characters where they need to be, in order to make a point that had already been made. it was seriously gratuitous

but yeah there's no misstep the game made bigger than that one playable sequence with abby in the tutorial. it was completely pointless and neutered the impact/surprise of the big character swap midway through

e: to clarify, when i say "realistic" i mean for post-apoc fiction. otherwise there wouldn't be any more gasoline, and what a pickle we'd be in

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 31, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagine if MGS 2 made you play as Raiden for 10 minutes before the tanker...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TLOU2 owns if you wake up and choose violence every time you decide to play it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Metal Gear Solid 2 made me play 3 hours of a mech game to get to the sweet Metal Gear inside

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen posted:

For anyone looking for more context on this, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9HLsPFfCw

video game fan communities were a mistake

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think my only problem with TLOU2 is the Rattlers. The whole game is centered around the premise "there are no bad guys, just people doing what they think they have to" and then at the very end it's like "oh except these guys, they're just eeeevil." It would have been better if they were some angy remnant of the seraphites that survived the WLF assault, and I don't see why it couldn't have been.

that said, it's a brilliant game and holy poo poo the chud offensive against it is amazing.

This is an issue I mentioned with my friend. It’s the “Uncle Jack’s Nazis” issue.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hopper posted:

Image the outright civil war that would ensue if someone suggested pineapple on poutine....

This sounds delicious to me and I’m determined to try it. Hail Satan.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Finished everything in Dark Souls 3, now, I think. Wish I'd not done stuff out of order so I could have used Shira for Midir. Was nice to see Patches given some character growth.

Edit: it's really great when you get summoned to help a random stranger with a boss then you get to summon them to help you with one later :)

Some stats: 33 hours, level 99, sorceries almost exclusively. My first time through save file is at like 120 hours just for the base game from grinding the effing covenant poo poo. And getting to like NG+++ I guess.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 31, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Escobarbarian posted:

This is an issue I mentioned with my friend. It’s the “Uncle Jack’s Nazis” issue.

When Veeg got there and I told him “oh now’s the time to explosive arrows” I realised the game never really gives you any kind of free pass for righteous justice (incredible ultra violence) and it seems like they needed a level in the game to give you a reason to go all out on weapons and game mechanics. That said it is of course incongruous with the game making you feel terrible about violence the whole way through and immediately after the breaking bad series 5 level

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg just hid in the corner the whole time anyway

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

TLOU2 rules bitches!!!!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe TLOU2 just has enemies that don't have a grey morality, unlike the honorable cannibals and hunters of Pittsburgh with their iconic corpse strapped to the front of their armored military humvee in the first game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hopper posted:

I also thought Ellie went way beyond what can in anyway be called a reasonable. But still I felt more "on her side", but that's probably because of TLOU1.

Did anybody not play Part 1? I'd be interested to hear what they thought without having the connection from playing the first game.

I guess I just don't see this. I felt Ellie was heading for that path the moment she decided to trek that distance just on the vague notion that she could find the people who killed Joel

I felt like Ellie learned from Joel in that she reacted in the exact same way as Joel when it came to anything that got in his way: rage.

I have some very different views of TLOU 1 and TLOU 2 because of my background though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah both games revolve around a very strong WWJD? logic chain that remains unbroken until the final act.