Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

alexandriao posted:

PHUO: I agree with the above but, I also don't think paying more than a cursor glance at large-scale politics is worth it.

To put it clearly: Local politics is fine and good to pay attention to, because it's actually something you can do something about. You can write to your MP or write to your local police chief and it might be read and bring about some change, you can join committees and movements and actually bring about local reform.

What I don't understand is people who watch speeches by Trump or Boris or Farage just to get angry at them. My mother does this and I have to wonder, why?

Like, I can look at The News and see that Boris Johnson has told another lie. Ok, what am I going to do about it, storm parliament? What good can possibly come from me being Informed that politicians at a level I cannot possibly hope to affect, have decided to privatise more of our public health system, or are putting the economy over people dying, or are betting on hedge funds while driving our country off a cliff called Brexit.

This ties into my material situation where I'm unable to attend protests due to disability and poverty and stuff, and my mental situation where I'm actually super depressed a lot of the time, so cutting out The News has had a positive impact on my partners since they don't have to deal with emotional dips because more people are bombing each other or putting money over lives.

Likewise I have a partner in the states that really, really gets distressed to the point of tears about stuff that happens in the senate and poo poo that last year's POTUS did and I totally, absolutely understand her distress, but then she will go back to read the news and get distressed all over again and we have to talk her down from suicidal despair

I just don't get it, I don't see what the benefit is of having this information.

It’s a coping mechanism. It’s a poor coping mechanism, but it’s a coping mechanism nonetheless. People want to know, to feel a little bit more in control. Unfortunately the things they learn make them feel less in control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

alexandriao posted:

What I don't understand is people who watch speeches by Trump or Boris or Farage just to get angry at them. My mother does this and I have to wonder, why?

It has an almost identical psychological effect as cutting. It's literally self-harm, but a much more socially acceptable one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't care how toothless they are, any country with a monarch in 2021 is laughable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt isn't that great. It's fine, I guess. It's a corny song to begin with, but the original stomps the cover version and I'm not even like, a die hard Nine Inch Nails fan or anything. The way people talk about that song feels masturbatory, like it's the most amazing thing that this senior citizen is clearing his throat phlegm over a NIN song. Whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also that album feels more like Rick Ruben jerking himself off than a Johhny Cash album tbh. 100% Rick Ruben just made him do that cover and he had never heard that song in his life until then.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We can't get rid of our monarchs, we unfortunately have too many elderly fans of them. They like to read news about what the princess did recently or what the king thinks of X

I wouldn't mind the royal house here in Sweden except they are obviously living extremely privileged lives for no reason at all. Cut their allowance, it makes no sense to just hand them a ton of cash. Give them a normal decent salary and have them be Ambassadors who work 9-5

I'm hoping in another 20 years when the elderly have all perished and there's no one left to give a poo poo that we start getting rid of the royals altogether here

Zzulu has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Jul 31, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It has an almost identical psychological effect as cutting. It's literally self-harm, but a much more socially acceptable one.

I harp on this constantly, especially since doomscrolling has become more and more common.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked watching Trump do stuff because it's funny to watch an idiot do things. the POTUS was walking around with toilet paper on his shoe while wearing diapers and his wife was slapping his hand away and he was getting attacked by bald eagles. One of the dumbest people alive was one of the most powerful people on earth for 4 years. How can you not watch? It was amazing.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mind the walrus posted:

And on the other hand you get a whole bunch of weirdo goons giving each other handjobs about how little they care. Like we get it, weaponized apathy is a really easy way to feel superior without having to do or risk anything, but the 90s was thirty years ago, the whole Gen X "too good to care" schitck looks tired and immature.

I disagree with this. If anything, the people whose main hobby is to track artists' and celebrities' personal and political opinions are the ones being being self-aggrandizing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

And on the other hand you get a whole bunch of weirdo goons giving each other handjobs about how little they care. Like we get it, weaponized apathy is a really easy way to feel superior without having to do or risk anything, but the 90s was thirty years ago, the whole Gen X "too good to care" schitck looks tired and immature.

"Caring" in this context is largely performative.

Speaking of immature, people can care about lots of stuff and also think it is the most naive, obnoxious nonsense to assign meaning to your media consumption then go puff out your chest on the internet about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Death of the author" is a completely different concept than separating artist from art.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

people can do good and bad things, often at the same time

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Death of the author" is a completely different concept than separating artist from art.

Most of this forum is mid-30 year olds posting like angry teenagers. Expecting us to know what phrases mean is asking a bit too much.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

We're not getting out of this. Might as well find enjoyment in whatever you can before the power grid fails.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

We were talking about the artists impact on our enjoyment of their work before anyone brought up dota to be fair.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

We were talking about the artists impact on our enjoyment of their work before anyone brought up dota to be fair.

I know, it was just a really stupid point and a pet peeve.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt isn't that great. It's fine, I guess. It's a corny song to begin with, but the original stomps the cover version and I'm not even like, a die hard Nine Inch Nails fan or anything. The way people talk about that song feels masturbatory, like it's the most amazing thing that this senior citizen is clearing his throat phlegm over a NIN song. Whatever.

No you don’t get it. He changed crown of poo poo to crown of thorns.

LIKE JESUS

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I ain't in love with it but I'll take it every day over disturbeds absolute poo poo cover of sounds of silence.

Rusty cage cash version is also fine

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I was kind of bewildered by the Johnny Cash revival at the time. I unfortunately grew up in a classic country household so I knew his library, which is the twangiest hodown maudlin kitsch peppered with overt Christian messaging.

But the abstract Cash aesthetic that caught on was dark, rebellious punk. I wonder where that came from? Was it marketing, or did the Cash brand evolve that way organically?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

related unpopular opinion, the Charlie Feathers version of Folsom prison blues is better than the Johnny Cash version

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

I was kind of bewildered by the Johnny Cash revival at the time. I unfortunately grew up in a classic country household so I knew his library, which is the twangiest hodown maudlin kitsch peppered with overt Christian messaging.

But the abstract Cash aesthetic that caught on was dark, rebellious punk. I wonder where that came from? Was it marketing, or did the Cash brand evolve that way organically?

I always wondered that myself, and I'm pretty sure it was a combination of him having a small bad boy streak and marketing. Every punk fan I know loves Johnny Cash even though he's about as antiestablishment as a church bake sale.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He flipped the bird that one time.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Remember, Roy Orbison also had that same kind of "bad boy" image. Back in the day putting on black jeans and a black shirt is all it took to be rebellious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Folsom Prison Blues/playing a show there is also a big part of it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

related unpopular opinion, the Charlie Feathers version of Folsom prison blues is better than the Johnny Cash version
Charlie Feathers is a significantly better musician than Johnny Cash.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Great, now I'm listening to Roy Orbison's greatest hits. I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

🎵 I drove all niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, to get to you 🎵

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Robobot posted:

I always wondered that myself, and I'm pretty sure it was a combination of him having a small bad boy streak and marketing. Every punk fan I know loves Johnny Cash even though he's about as antiestablishment as a church bake sale.

I mean punk is basically a joke so I don't think them falling for cash being a badlad is that surprising.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Cash got arrested for speed and tried to kill himself. I'm pretty sure he was drunk or high most of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Just because someone sings a lot of happy or gospel music doesn't mean they're squeaky clean.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean punk is basically a joke so I don't think them falling for cash being a badlad is that surprising.

Very true. All the punk kids I knew growing up, that didn't die from drug overdoses in their early 20's, are now super corporate and spend hundreds of dollars on vinyl copies of all their favorite punk albums. One is a corporate lawyer with a Black Flag chest piece.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

The original is better. Because Reznor's performance feels genuine and less like an old grouchy dad who's sad he has to pay child support

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

Remember, Roy Orbison also had that same kind of "bad boy" image. Back in the day being wrapped entirely in cling film is all it took to look rebellious.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
PHUO- rapid fire edition:

The search for authenticity is ultimately meaningless. You are never going to experience the same emotion ever again and the hope that you have to attain a "perfect moment" is as stupid as looking to create something entirely without attempt.

Nostalgia is a loving prison.

Trying to separate art from artist is never going to work, and is often completely stupid.

The idea that everything is a shade of gray is as much a coping mechanism as trying to pretend everything is black and white.

Sometimes there are things you don't recover from. Sometimes that is okay.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Robobot posted:

Remember, Roy Orbison also had that same kind of "bad boy" image. Back in the day being wrapped entirely in cling film is all it took to look rebellious.

:golfclap:

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

The idea that everything is a shade of gray is as much a coping mechanism as trying to pretend everything is black and white.
Shades of gray is always a closer model of any real-world problem than black & white. Shades of gray still sucks though because it flattens anything to a single dimension of consideration while every real-world problem is multidimensional or worse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

indiscriminately posted:

Shades of gray is always a closer model of any real-world problem than black & white. Shades of gray still sucks though because it flattens anything to a single dimension of consideration while every real-world problem is multidimensional or worse.

Not really. Most problems are black and whtie. It's simply that to do what is neccesary in those instances would upset a lot of people who've invested time and energy into defending a structure that is pretty much rotten from the inside out because "it's the best we can do". The idea that we must reduce everything to nuance and argumentation is just another way of avoiding interaction with the world where things can change in an instant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No not really.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

No not really.

Everyone says stuff like this, but thus far I haven't seen much evidence to prove otherwise. I understand that complexity exists as part of life. But so so often "things are complicated" becomes not an argument to examine, but an argument to stop doing anything.

The best way to kill an idea is to set up a committee around it and the search for "nuance" in all things appears to be similar. Sometimes things are just bad or good.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Josef bugman posted:

Nostalgia is a loving prison.

What do you mean? I love my wall of funco pops! My life is definitely better because I bought the same Mario game fifteen times now!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Not really. Most problems are black and whtie.

Can you give some examples that aren't "Hitler was in fact bad"-tier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It depends. Nostalgia is overused as a marketing tool, but it turns out that I quite enjoy getting more Digimon products