Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

thanks everyone. i hope there'll be more edm wrestlers in future. the driving basslines provide lots of rhythmic opportunities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

why does vince mcmahon hate joy, love, light, and the new day

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

From watching old japw shows and seeing how they treat lethal, I think special k might be the original dark order

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

one of the most images

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone ever become World Champion with a dancing gimmick?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why the hell are there so many dancing gimmicks?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shawn Michaels?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Booker T :v:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Adam Rose had a raver gimmick

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lamuella posted:

He was dancing and coming out to techno pre-AEW, especially during his run wrestling in Germany.

EDIT: him dancing like a goon while Jeff Cobb looks at him with scorn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Fhig25i1E&t=24s

I figured that's where it came from since he wasn't doing that in LU, but I wonder if the whole thing of him just vibing 24/7 even in backstage segments was a TK thing, or something he wanted to do himself.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Red posted:

Why the hell are there so many dancing gimmicks?

Vince fuckin' loves it when someone dances, apparently.

quote:

How Did Kurgan Turn Into a Dancing Oddity?: “How Kurgan turned into an Oddity, after WrestleMania where [Austin] took the [world title] belt from Shawn [Michaels], I’m at the afterparty and Kurrgan’s there with his wife and Kurrgan says, ‘my wife is going to have me dancing. I’m going to get up and dance and I’m sure you’re going to have a laugh.’ And I go, ‘dude, don’t do it.’ He’s like, ‘why?’ I go, ‘don’t let Vince see you up dancing.’ And he’s like, ‘well, my wife wants me to dance, blah, blah, blah.’ I’m like, ‘don’t do it.’ He got up, he’s dancing, disco dancing, he’s pretty good, but I’m not watching him. I’m watching Vince and I saw [him] catch [Vince’s] eye and I’m like, ‘he’s not a giant anymore.’ And within a month, he was in a tuxedo dancing and that’s the night I learned ‘don’t do anything in front of Vince that you don’t want to do in front of millions of people.”

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Vince fuckin' loves it when someone dances, apparently.

Nobody that's danced has ever made him a buck, though, as far as I can tell. From memory, I can recall:

- Flash Funk
- Tons of Funk
- Rikishi
- Too Cool
- Fandango
- Dancing Lance Storm
- Oddities
- Great Khali as a ladies man or whatever
- Adam Rose
- K-Kwik (I guess Truth is as well, but Kwik was just there to rap next to Road Dogg)
- Men on a Mission
- Honky Tonk Man and maybe when Greg Valentine had dyed hair?
- Ernest Miller, briefly
- JYD?
- Dude Love?
- Emma
- Didn't Xavier Woods briefly team with Truth in a dancing team?

So HTM definitely drew crowds, though I don't know you can claim Dude Love was a dancing gimmick - he was just a guy who did a dumb little dance.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rikishi and Too Cool, and JYD made money

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Vince is going to offer contracts to all of Natural Vibes

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

angelico makes $$$ so it can be done. blame vince entirely and not the idea

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

kagetsu. magnum tokyo. hopefully kzy in a few hours

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Special K were fun as much as Gabe on commentary getting mad that they were spoiled rich kids doing drugs instead of taking wrestling seriously one minute & the next that CM Punk looked down on people who smoked weed & drank bevvy was very unintentionally funny. Gabe sticking up for stoners made him sound like such a tryhard dork.

Gabe's commentary for Special K was 90% yelling about rich kids doing drugs and 10% some of the grossest slut shaming you've ever heard. He was getting out some really loving weird issues with that group.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

He was getting out some really loving weird issues with that group.

wrestling gimmicks be like

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No love for Three Count.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Suplex Liberace posted:

has anyone had any experience with PWTs customer support. They sent me a shirt with the stitching coming off and then stopped answering my emails!

They sent me a shirt with a glue spot on it. It took a few days for them to respond, they asked for a picture, and they just sent me another one.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

No love for Three Count.

Three Count were a wholesome boy band

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bartok posted:

Three Count were a wholesome boy band

britney spears is kinda cute

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

sliami posted:

why does vince mcmahon hate joy, love, light, and the new day

1) Because he is incapable of feeling it unless he's hurting somebody in the process.
2) Because he is incapable of feeling it, period.
3) Because only darkness is capable of bringing him joy.
4) Because they're black.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Speaking of Three Count, did Tank Abbott ever actually get his singing lessons?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
From what I’ve read he never did but he has called that period his favorite time with the company.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

luchadornado posted:

They sent me a shirt with a glue spot on it. It took a few days for them to respond, they asked for a picture, and they just sent me another one.
They finally emailed me back and did this, 4 days to approve a shirt drat.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why doesn't The Rock vs. Mankind, I Quit match have a star rating from Dave?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why doesn't The Rock vs. Mankind, I Quit match have a star rating from Dave?

It does. ***3/4.

It's also timely you'd ask this as some people were confused why he would rate Jericho/Gage 4 stars when he said he hated it (something he's done before) because this is the last sentence of the recap:

quote:

It wasn't anything unprecedented and there is a lot of money involved in the business nowadays, but hopefully we'll never have to see anything like it again. ***3/4

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

'99 Rumble had the following star ratings: **, *1/4, **1/2, dud, ***3/4, *1/2, and the very next night on Raw, they nullified Vince's win anyway. Amazing how basically two angles can make an absolute dogshit product so hot.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What our potential MOTY candidates from AEW and WWE so far this year?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

walter v ciampa and sasha v bianca for wwe, and theres like 10 to 15 contenders from aew that im not gonna get into. the moty thread has 50 but that number is skewed by people that have never seen good wrestling before and nominate regular matches as moty

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would personally rank kenny omega vs rey fenix and young bucks vs pac and fenix as the best matches from aew so far. the blood and guts match is also real good. stadium stampede II as well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Manwithastick posted:

The best AEW match I've seen was probably Moxley vs Archer but then I have only 2 MOTYC matches from AEW & don't watch often. The best from WWE I've seen was Walter vs Ciampa but the only other WWE match I've seen this year was Walter vs A-Kid.

This wasn't much help

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

For AEW

Omega vs Fenix
Britt Baker vs Thunder Rosa Lights Out
Lance Archer vs Fenix
Yuka Sakazaki vs. Ryo Mizunami
The Young Bucks vs Fenix and PAC
Serena Deeb vs Riho (Both)
Young Bucks vs Mox and Kingston
Stadium Stampede 2
The Elite vs the Dark Order Elimination Match

For WWE, I guess the only entertaining matches they've put on involved The Fiend or the Fiendess so track those down.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Sting and Darby vs Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i forgot baker v rosa was this year, yeah add that

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

What about Omega/KENTA vs Moxley/Archer?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

walter v ciampa and sasha v bianca for wwe, and theres like 10 to 15 contenders from aew that im not gonna get into. the moty thread has 50 but that number is skewed by people that have never seen good wrestling before and nominate regular matches as moty

Going over the 50 I'd say these are AEW matches are worth checking out

01/06 | Kenny Omega (C) vs. Rey Fenix for the AEW World Championship - AEW Dynamite New Year's Smash Night 1
03/17 | Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D vs. Thunder Rosa in a Lights Out Match - AEW Dynamite
04/14 | The Young Bucks (C) vs. Rey Fenix & PAC for the AEW Tag Team Titles - AEW Dynamite
05/05 | The Pinnacle vs. The Inner Circle in a Blood & Guts match - AEW Dynamite
05/12 | Darby Allin (C) vs. Miro for the TNT Championship - AEW Dynamite
05/30 | Serena Deeb (C) vs. Riho for the NWA Women's Championship - AEW Double or Nothing Pre-Show

For WWE I'd go Bianca vs Sasha at Wrestlemania night 1 and Walter vs Ciampa at NXT Takeover Night 1

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

It does. ***3/4.

It's also timely you'd ask this as some people were confused why he would rate Jericho/Gage 4 stars when he said he hated it (something he's done before) because this is the last sentence of the recap:

Thanks, cagematch had it unrated for some reason.

Best WWE match of 2021? Lashley, Strowman and McIntyre was fantastic.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Dave posted:

Sting and Darby vs Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky

Both this and the Revolution Street Fight were excellent and almost added to my list but if you admit to liking too many matches from a company it is a sign you have never seen any good wrestling before.